Author Topic: The GATHERING  (Read 13132 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: The GATHERING
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2021, 06:44:06 PM »
Yeah, it seems that Anneke inspired a lot of women to take more prominent roles in bands, but it either was more in the beauty and the beast gothic tradition, the bombastic symphonic metal bands, or the more streamlined Evanescence-type rock bands.  I enjoy various artists of those traditions, but the more ethereal vibe, subtlety and nuance is too often lost.  The Third and the Mortal is kind of a precursor to it, and Trees of Eternity a spiritual successor.  Lacuna Coil was more interesting up through Unleashed Memories when they tried to carry on more in that style.  Within Temptation's first album and EP in the less-death-influenced parts.  Cardamon's first album has some similarities, though not quite as atmospheric.  Octavia Sperati has that feeling at times, which is probably why they recruited Silje.  Autumn's albums have a similar effect, as well as Vetrar Draugurinn, though a bit heavier.  Kingfisher Sky in a more proggy, folky way.  Chelsea Wolfe's heavier material, and some of the similar artists like Shedfromthebody, The Answer Lies in the Void, some of King Woman, Frayle at times.  But I've been searching for more music in this vein for years and it's hard to come by. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2021, 07:32:40 PM »
Exactly - and Anneke's voice was very different from the "operatic" style that was so prominent in the beauty and the beast approach...

Lots of cool artists you are mentioning here...The Third and the Mortal certainly embarked on their own personal journey...from doomy-folky metal to more trip-hop influenced music. Really good stuff. I've always been very fond of my fellow Italians Lacuna Coil. I don't dislike their current style, but they had a very special melodic sensibility in their first few albums and they lost it a bit along the way (that first EP, while a bit rough around the edges, was fantastic)

I've been exploring Chelsea Wolfe's music lately and it's pretty great. I was quite impressed by The Answer Lies in the Void's album too.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2021, 02:43:42 AM »
Thank you both for mentioning The 3rd and the Mortal! I had never heard of them before but now I’m hooked after listening to their album Painting on Glass. I’ll be buying their whole discography soon for sure.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2022, 11:25:50 PM »
Beautiful Distortion is out. I am checking it out on their Bandcamp right now. It sounds like a winner. I will be buying it. Silje sounds wonderful.

https://thegathering.bandcamp.com/album/beautiful-distortion

They also put out some kind of EP as well:

https://thegathering.bandcamp.com/album/interference
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2022, 05:26:47 AM »
I enjoyed it, though it was a tad underwhelming on the first listen.  I'm not worried though, their albums almost always have depth that reveals itself over time, they're not immediate pop bangers, and I'm fine with that. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2022, 06:56:00 AM »
I'm liking it, especially the 2nd half.

Haven't heard the EP yet though, thanks Professor.

I know some comments on rym mentioned 1 or 2 singles not on the record but on that instead.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2023, 08:08:12 PM »
Came across this on YT - an unofficial video of the 25-anniversary live event from 10 years ago (or so):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpEm0YZWI8k

They even have the vocalists from the very first album!

Haven't watched the whole thing, but there's some great stuff in there. And Anneke. My goodness. Anneke. Listen to her on Strange Machines, On Most Surfaces, Travel... :hefdaddy Very cool version of Saturnine with everyone too.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2023, 08:20:02 PM »
Came across this on YT - an unofficial video of the 25-anniversary live event from 10 years ago (or so):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpEm0YZWI8k

They even have the vocalists from the very first album!

Haven't watched the whole thing, but there's some great stuff in there. And Anneke. My goodness. Anneke. Listen to her on Strange Machines, On Most Surfaces, Travel... :hefdaddy Very cool version of Saturnine with everyone too.

I’ve watched this a ton. I love it so much. I tend to skip the early doom metal growls songs, but luckily I think there’s only two or so. But yea, most of their former singers and even bassists and a former second guitarist. One of my favorites. Wish it were an official Blu-ray.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2023, 08:22:45 PM »
I think there have been individual videos of some of those songs from that set floating around for awhile, but I can't recall if I came across that particular one that has them together, so that's a great mention. 

I love this rendition of "Saturnine".  Wish I could have seen this tour, ugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_GavAMJt2g

Offline nick_z

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2023, 08:49:34 PM »

I’ve watched this a ton. I love it so much. I tend to skip the early doom metal growls songs, but luckily I think there’s only two or so. But yea, most of their former singers and even bassists and a former second guitarist. One of my favorites. Wish it were an official Blu-ray.

Yep, that would've been great...I was reading, though, that they wanted this to be an intimate kind of gig, so they didn't really want additional filming crew on stage etc. who knows...maybe it was a matter of budget...

I love this rendition of "Saturnine".  Wish I could have seen this tour, ugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_GavAMJt2g

Wow, this is nice.