Author Topic: The GATHERING  (Read 13653 times)

Offline Dittomist

The GATHERING
« on: May 08, 2009, 01:02:56 AM »
The Gathering don't have Anneke van Giersbergen anymore, but don't let that stop you from checking out their brand new album, The West Pole. It's quite amazing that this is the same band who did Mandylion and Nighttime Birds; they've gone through many transformations and they have been brilliant every time.

The new vocalist is not as enchanting or unique as Anneke, but she is a great fit for The Gathering. After the first listen, my favorite songs on the West Pole are Capital of Nowhere, Treasure, No Bird Call, and A Constant Run. The whole album is available to listen to for free here: https://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/41900839

And if you have never heard their albums How To Measure a Planet, If Then Else, Home, and Nighttime Birds, then go buy them immediately :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:29:46 AM by Dittomist »

Offline bob

Re: The GATHERING
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:26:43 AM »
Magic?
I bet in hell all the toilet rolls are down the wall....... AND YOU CAN"T CHANGE IT.

BCSL is secretly a concept album about indefinite articles.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:30:46 PM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 10:02:36 AM »
Magic?

Beat me to it you bastard.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »
NECROBUMP!

I've listened to The Gathering recently and they're pretty good! Anneke is a very good singer. I have their first album Always, which seems to be a forgotten gem. I think I'll get Mandylion and Nighttime Birds soon.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:55:48 AM »
One of my favorite bands. Sure, Anneke pretty much made the band for me, but the new singer is nice too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »
Check out an early live performance, probably among the first with Anneke as their vocalist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEqjugZ87Dg   Absolutely amazing!!!
Nighttime Birds and Mandylion are absolutely perfect albums, but I think I prefer their later, more experimental albums, where they are floating in trip-hop/shoe-gaze territories. So if you like artists like Portishead, Bjork, Slowdive, or even some of The Cure's darkest material, then The Gathering's How To Measure a Planet, If Then Else, and Home will rock your world.
I also highly recommend Anneke's first solo album, Agua De Annique's Air--very haunting and beautiful.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »

Offline Adami

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 07:30:17 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 10:12:15 PM »
funny you resurrected the topic today, as i just received my copy of Black Light District on vinyl in the mail!

and, in doing so, realized that the CD version has a hidden song in the pregap before the title track starts. it sucks, but i didn't realize it was there until just now! and it's pretty much my favourite Gathering release! damn it all!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 02:12:54 AM »
Have only heard Mandylion, and that was a while back, but I remember enjoying it. :P

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 02:18:39 AM »
How To Measure A Planet is my favorite album  from them :D
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 12:03:47 AM »
A new song for free https://thegathering.bandcamp.com/track/heroes-for-ghosts in all kinds of formats (FLAC too). The song is really good too.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 01:36:54 AM »
Mandylion is a masterpiece! :metal

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 02:37:35 AM »
Hey guys

The Gathering is Dutch

:biggrin:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
I just got the reissue of Nighttime Birds! I like how the bonus material lasts longer than the album itself! :lol

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »
A new song for free https://thegathering.bandcamp.com/track/heroes-for-ghosts in all kinds of formats (FLAC too). The song is really good too.
just noticed this now - jhajshdavjshd EPIC

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 05:14:25 AM »
And the video for that song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m-zhD8Qh9w

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 06:14:24 AM »
Not many bands dare to make THAT long videos! Then again, they have their own record label.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 09:10:17 PM »
i really enjoyed the ambiguity of that video; saved it from the horrors of its cliché subject matter!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »
Not metal at all.   :tdwn
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 10:28:23 PM »
Not metal at all.   :tdwn

You were expecting metal?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 10:52:01 PM »

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 05:23:17 AM »
just listen to the very first Gaterhing Ablum (pre-Anneke)

taths fucking gathering right there...
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »
Always is probably one of the most underrated albums that I know. But Mandylion and Nighttime Birds are still better. Haven't really listened to their non-metal stuff and what I've heard of Almost a Dance is rather terrible.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 08:43:59 PM »
Doesn't seem to be a huge non-Anneke Gathering following here, but I just got notice they are releasing a new album. This came out of nowhere, as I thought they were done. Most interesting thing to me is that Hugo is back on bass. So we have the prime lineup, minus Anneke.

This first track is pretty much all electronic, which makes me wonder about the rest of the album.

https://thegathering.bandcamp.com/track/in-colour

'In Colour' is the first single from the upcoming album 'Beautiful Distortion', scheduled for release in early spring 2022.

The Gathering:
Frank Boeijen – keyboards, hammond, rhodes, wurlitzer & grand piano
Hugo Prinsen Geerligs - bass guitars, electric guitars, keyboards, grand piano & percussion
René Rutten - electric and acoustic guitars, keyboards & percussion
Hans Rutten - drums & percussion
Silje Wergeland - vocals
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Adami

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 08:49:16 PM »
I heard a bit of it (will go back tomorrow) and enjoyed it. I really love their post Anneke stuff. So color me excited!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 09:24:56 PM »
So happy they're back! I thought their last album, Disclosure, was amazing and so I have high hopes for this one.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2021, 09:41:35 PM »
So happy they're back! I thought their last album, Disclosure, was amazing and so I have high hopes for this one.

yeah, I really enjoyed Disclosure, so I'm certainly looking forward to this.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2021, 10:13:34 PM »
I haven’t heart anything they’ve done since If Then Else, which was really good but didn’t completely floor me like Nighttime Birds and HTMAP did.  I like experimental direction just fine, but ITE had a few terrific songs and others that were just kinda there.

Even the last couple of things they did with Anneke I never checked out. But I’m open to suggestions.

I also have Mandylion and Always. Mandylion is like Nighttime Birds part 1, and Always is not my cup of tea.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2021, 12:30:04 AM »
I will say, I had not realized that they had posted the audio for A Sound Relief to their Bandcamp. I've had a DVD rip for years to listen to. Just dropped the $9 and change for it. Man, this sounds so good. Way better than my DVD rip. Plus, they included 2 tracks from the show that were cut from the DVD. Just listened to Saturnine, one of the cut songs, and Anneke is breathtaking. No clue why they cut that. She sounded incredible.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline nick_z

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2021, 06:39:00 AM »
I haven’t heart anything they’ve done since If Then Else, which was really good but didn’t completely floor me like Nighttime Birds and HTMAP did.  I like experimental direction just fine, but ITE had a few terrific songs and others that were just kinda there.

Even the last couple of things they did with Anneke I never checked out. But I’m open to suggestions.

I also have Mandylion and Always. Mandylion is like Nighttime Birds part 1, and Always is not my cup of tea.

Even just sticking with the Anneke albums, you should definitely give Souvenirs and Home a try (these are the albums following If_Then_Else, and the last two with her on vocals). Plenty to enjoy in there.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2021, 01:55:59 PM »

Even just sticking with the Anneke albums, you should definitely give Souvenirs and Home a try (these are the albums following If_Then_Else, and the last two with her on vocals). Plenty to enjoy in there.

Heck, just go to their Bandcamp. All of those albums are up there. Since it's Bandcamp, you can pretty much listen to them in their entirety.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2021, 04:44:02 PM »
This is one of those bands that I started listening to quite a long time ago, but didn't really truly become a favorite until more recent years.  I've always had a bit more fondness for Anneke from her work with Ayreon, but knew less about Silje.  Appearing on "The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here" from Katatonia was kind of the launching point though, and eventually I checked out Octavia Sperati, which is incredibly underrated.  I like almost all of The Gathering's material now (maybe not Almost A Dance, not sure if I've ever heard it or not, the rumors might be enough), though Mandylion and Nighttime Birds are really special albums.  I wish more bands had experimented with versions of that sound, it's still rich with possibilities, but highly underutilized. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2021, 04:52:26 PM »
This is one of those bands that I started listening to quite a long time ago, but didn't really truly become a favorite until more recent years.  I've always had a bit more fondness for Anneke from her work with Ayreon, but knew less about Silje.  Appearing on "The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here" from Katatonia was kind of the launching point though, and eventually I checked out Octavia Sperati, which is incredibly underrated.  I like almost all of The Gathering's material now (maybe not Almost A Dance, not sure if I've ever heard it or not, the rumors might be enough), though Mandylion and Nighttime Birds are really special albums.  I wish more bands had experimented with versions of that sound, it's still rich with possibilities, but highly underutilized.

This is SO true. The Gathering were incredibly unique at the time. They kind of got lumped in with other bands of the gothic-metal scene of the early-to-mid 90s (which I mostly loved, by the way), in part because they were on Century Media and shared the same producer with many of those bands...but they were quite different - in part because of Anneke's voice of course, but also because of their extra-metal influences. Even before they turned into a "trippier" rock/metal band, they had that dreamy/shoegazey quality to their sound. The cover of Slowdive's "When The Sun Hits" (on The Kevin's Telescope single/EP) is pretty self-explanatory, and that was early on.