Author Topic: What happened to DTF? Here's the scoop  (Read 21592 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
What happened to DTF? Here's the scoop
« on: April 27, 2009, 01:02:59 AM »
You all have probably heard a lot of different things about what happened to the board over the last week or so.  I know a lot of things have been said on a lot of boards.  Allow me to briefly set the record straight.

The truth:  In short, the database on the old site "blew up."  There were critical errors in the database that told a few of us we were headed for a crash.  If only we knew it was coming this soon.   :(  I won't and can't point the finger at any one individual.  There have been a lot of different people working on the site since it was set up.  All had good intentions and did a lot to get us up and running.  But errors in the programming of the site eventually corrupted the database beyond repair, causing it to crash.  In a nutshell, that's it.

Lies, lies, lies:  I know there have been rumors circulating about what happened.  Some of the most widespread seem to have been (1) the server crashed, (2) the band shut us down, (3) hackers destroyed the site.  These are all completely FALSE.  I can understand why people may have thought some or all of these may have been true.  But, take it from me, they are not.

What lies ahead:  We were able to save the user database, but not the posts.  We also had to do away with a lot of the modifications.  What this means going forward is that nobody has to reregister, and everyone still has their post count.  However, all the old threads are gone.  All of them.  I'm really sorry, but there's just no way around that, at least for the time being.  A few people have spent a LOT of sleepless nights over the past week trying to recover things, and it just cannot be done.  But the upside is that this online community of Dream Theater fans will continue in this place as it has in the past.  And ultimately, the site will be better than it was, although it may take a little while for some extra features to be integrated (and for people to get used to not having certain features that caused problems in the past).  Overall, I think this site will be the better for it in the long run. 

Anyway, that's it for now.  It's far too late and I need to get to bed soon.  More later...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."