Author Topic: Slayer: (Previously the World Painted Blood thread (merged))  (Read 8606 times)

Offline briang

Re: Slayer: World Painted Blood (merged)
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 10:25:24 PM »
posting unfunny image macros should result in a permanent ban.

i haven't heard anything yet. i'll probably wait until it drops to check it out. i kind of just wish it would be a God Hates Us All part 2, because that album is fucking awesome. Their last album made it seem that everything Slayer did in the 90s and early 00s never existed.
Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody. And I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God. Someone who honestly thinks the other ninety five percent of us suffer from some form of mass delusion.
-Palmer, Contact

Offline tbw2445

• I live a life based on good intentions...
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 05:21:05 PM »
Amazing album!!!
i'm learning all about my life by looking through her eyes

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 09:10:43 PM »
Easily the best Slayer album since Seasons. Maybe even surpassing it. I'm not sure yet.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 11:39:04 PM »
Only 9 days to go. In that time I'll be listening to a lot of stuff to keep me occupied.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
I just bought the CD/DVD edition. Will listen tonight but will NOT SPOIL.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 09:57:45 PM »
I hate you and your earlier release dates!  >:( :censored >:(
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »
Well this makes up for BTBAM's TGM being released later here, which is possibly tomorrow or the day after.

I'm content about this, and don't worry.. I won't spoil the album for anybody because I have it early.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2009, 04:32:53 AM »

This is the World Painted Blood Limited Edition cover.
I scanned this myself, the red face of it is actually a plastic sleeve which you can slide the digipak (yes I know, digipaks are not so cool) out of, then the alternate cover with the letters  W O R L D  P A I N T E D  B L O O D  are shown. This alternate cover isn't red :hat and doesn't have SLAYER written over it. This way, you aren't stuck with the plain red/bloodied cover. :metal
The sticker is on the sleeve, which is easily peeled off (I haven't peeled mine off yet, just the MA15+ warning considering there's a graphic presentation on the DVD).

Slayer fans, this is for you :tup

Btw, I listened to the album. You will not be disappointed, and I'm certain it will be received well by everybody. Peace!

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 07:45:02 PM »
I just got the limited edition the day before the release thanks to my dad.

:caffeine:
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 07:47:35 PM »
Well, I bet you're happy as a motherfucker.  :metal
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 07:25:18 PM »
This album 3/5.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Re: Slayer: (Previously the World Painted Blood thread (merged))
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2010, 01:27:32 AM »
You self-righteous fuck!
Give me a reason not to rip your fucking face off!
Why don't you take a good look in these eyes
Cause I'm the one that's gonna tear your fucking heart out!

That whole part is just mental. :2metal:

And then

EXIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILE
(4 times over)  :metal :metal

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2021, 04:49:15 AM »
Necrobump, as this seems to be the only Slayer thread I can find.

I've been on a bit of a Slayer kick recently was listening to Christ Illusion this morning. I have to say I rank it quite highly amongst their catalogue, it's decent.

I'll try and do a full album ranking or something.

Slayer seems to be a band that really divides opinion here on DTF. I find that a little odd as thrash seems so well accepted in general, but I don't recall seeing any other thrash bands getting shit on like Slayer  :lol

I know I am biased as thrash was my entry into the world of metal, and Slayer were one of my first metal bands.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 01:08:53 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2021, 05:03:30 AM »
Slayer are THE band as far as extreme metal goes. I almost feel that most other extreme metal is pointless.

I don't dig the later stuff (pretty much everything after Divine) . The lyrics really get on my nerves and it just doesn't quite work effectively anymore. Wish Kerry King had never been allowed to write lyrics after a certain point. "Fucking this, fucking that" bullshit. He sounds about 13 years old.  :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2021, 06:44:28 AM »
Slayer are THE band as far as extreme metal goes. I almost feel that most other extreme metal is pointless.

I don't dig the later stuff (pretty much everything after Divine) . The lyrics really get on my nerves and it just doesn't quite work effectively anymore. Wish Kerry King had never been allowed to write lyrics after a certain point. "Fucking this, fucking that" bullshit. He sounds about 13 years old.  :lol

You think Slayer is more extreme than death or black metal?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2021, 07:56:02 AM »
Nah, I think they're about the same in general.

EDIT: I don't think anything has yet surpassed them in terms of impact and energy in the extreme metal field.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:01:17 AM by DoctorAction »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2021, 01:12:46 PM »
Slayer definitely aren't the epitome of extreme. I would argue however, that they are as extreme as mainstream metal probably gets. I'd struggle to name a metal band as popular or well known as them, who are that extreme (or parts of their catalogue that are really extreme). They probably opened the door to generations of black and death metal fans, over the years.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2021, 02:31:20 PM »
You can reasonably argue that some death and black metal is heavier or more extreme than Slayer. But not that much.

And you can argue that those bands wouldn't exist without Slayer. And any of those bands that might be a bit heavier? They're probably not bringing that much newness to the table.

Meshuggah is an exception I can think of. Totally bringing something new. Morbid Angel? With the speed and blast beats? Death?

I guess what I'm saying is, that Slayer are the original, most significant extreme metal band. Which, in fairness, sounds like a really obvious statement, now I've written it. But so much more significant that not much else matters.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2021, 03:54:59 PM »
I consider Slayer to be more extreme than death or black metal.   They are absolutely ferocious, both live and on record.  No album hits as hard as the 29 minutes of Reign in Blood and they whip people I to a frenzy live, and sound fantastic.

Sure, other bands are heavier, but I don't think anyone can touch Slayer when it comes to fierceness and attitude. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2021, 04:36:55 PM »
Yup, go to youtube and pull up any show from 84-86. Fucking sick.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2023, 01:50:53 PM »
https://blabbermouth.net/news/brand-your-steak-or-favorite-meat-using-a-slayer-meat-brander

So, what's the over/under on "accidental" branding of humans using this by October 31, 2023?  :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2023, 07:22:25 AM »
Oh, there is no doubt that someone will do it.  The $75 price point may dissuade some though.   :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2023, 04:34:02 PM »
Listened to Seasons In The Abyss this week for the first time in a long time. Amazing album, obvs. But, holy sweet Satan, the drumming!

The energy Lombardo brought was incredible. And the way they were recorded too. They sound so real. Fabulous.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2023, 04:40:53 PM »
Listened to Seasons In The Abyss this week for the first time in a long time. Amazing album, obvs. But, holy sweet Satan, the drumming!

The energy Lombardo brought was incredible. And the way they were recorded too. They sound so real. Fabulous.

They are great drum parts that are totally air drummable. Such drum hooks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2023, 05:22:57 PM »
100% love Lombardo's drumming. Not the same album but the South of Heaven intro is definitely one my favourite things to air drum to!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2023, 08:23:46 PM »
Seasons was the first Slayer album I had ever heard and I was thrilled to see them play it in full in 2010, with the original lineup.  I'm pretty sure I went ballistic when the intro to Skeletons of Society kicked in.  As awesome as Reign in Blood is, Seasons is a really special album for me.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2023, 10:12:13 AM »
Yes to all of this!

The drumming on Seasons in the Abyss is delicious. Probably my favorite Lombardo performance.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2023, 11:57:47 AM »
That run of Reign > South > Seasons is obviously legendary. Those three albums right there are everything I love about the band and if I had to kiss goodbye to the rest of the catalogue I’d be fine, as long as I had those three.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2023, 12:05:54 PM »
I wouldn’t give up Show No Mercy though.  Or Hell Awaits.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 12:19:41 PM by TAC »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2023, 12:08:33 PM »
Who Awaits?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2023, 12:15:59 PM »
Yeah, clearly not a hot take, but the first five records are fantastic...Seasons remains my favorite, followed by Reign and South...

Speaking of Show No Mercy - while arguably it wasn't fully-formed "Slayer" sound yet, it has some tasty, dare I say it, NWOBHM influence in there...? I mean, a song like Crionics, for example...its second half is all instrumental (starting around 1:30) and, well, it wouldn't have been out of place in an early Maiden record, I think.

Hell Awaits is where "evil" Slayer truly starts, though...I have to say, when I first heard the opening of the title track, it did sound genuinely terrifying  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2023, 12:19:21 PM »
Who Awaits?

Kingshmegland apparently.  :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2023, 12:19:42 PM »
I need to give South Of Heaven another spin. Those opening fills are fantastic.

Both of those albums have the drums really high in the mix too, which adds to that in-your-face Lombardo experience.  :azn:

Yeah, clearly not a hot take, but the first five records are fantastic...Seasons remains my favorite, followed by Reign and South...

Speaking of Show No Mercy - while arguably it wasn't fully-formed "Slayer" sound yet, it has some tasty, dare I say it, NWOBHM influence in there...? I mean, a song like Crionics, for example...its second half is all instrumental (starting around 1:30) and, well, it wouldn't have been out of place in an early Maiden record, I think.

Hell Awaits is where "evil" Slayer truly starts, though...I have to say, when I first heard the opening of the title track, it did sound genuinely terrifying  :biggrin:

Love Show No Mercy and totally agree on Crionics.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2023, 12:26:32 PM »
I too like Show No Mercy but they were still growing into their sound and Reign > Seasons are just way ahead as far as I’m concerned. Hell Awaits seems to have a strong Venom influence, or something like that.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2023, 04:34:59 PM »
More Slayer days recently. Some thoughts:

Been back and listened to Divine for the first time in a long time and it's still really great. I miss Dave on it but Bostaph does the job really well. The songs are great. Title track and Circle of Beliefs especially. Would be fantastic to get a remaster as the only real down point is the shitty production. Imagine a crisp sounding title track cranked up: "AWAKEEEENED IN A WEB-LIKE HELL. HOOOOW DID I REACH THIS PLACE?!" I remember an interview with Tom saying that song was about meeting God and it would be an utterly terrifying experience. I may have misremembered but cool concept perfectly executed. Peak Slayer really is art. The sound, vibe, message, etc. Planetary alignment.

Diabolus is also great. This gets a huge amount of stick and the nu-metal label, and I've always felt that's not accurate or fair. It's still ferociously heavy, but they added some groovy feel in there. And tuned down a single step, which also got talked about a lot, oddly. Drop Db and it's a big deal? The production still sounds excellent to me, Tom is yelling his guts out and happy days all round. It's a thick wall of sound but it really batters your around. Another top record for me. Jeff wrote most of it.

I didn't get through World Painted Blood or Christ Illusion but heard about half of each. Even though Dave was back, it's feeling a bit same old to me here. Just not coming at me, somehow. The lyrics at this point are starting to clunk hard too. This is my biggest problem with later Slayer. Way too often the words either don't scan well, are just not cool phrases, or sound totally ridiculous. I know they're not a deep band in that way but it needs to take you away somewhere, not sound like a parody.

Didn't listen to God Hates Us All but will tomorrow. Always loved Disciple.

I listened to all of Repentless for the first time ever and it was better than I remember. The lyrics are still a problem but it generally has high energy and a good sound. Great to hear Gary Holt getting a place on record. His few leads are great, of course, and you have to wonder what might have been if they had gone on one more with him sharing writing duties as well, lifting King's game and pulling in Tom more too. Now THAT could have been a top album.

All in all, what a band. My 2nd greatest metal band of all time, under Maiden.