Author Topic: Evermind's artsy/deranged v4 Roulette - Round 4 Comparisons  (Read 11605 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's artsy/deranged v4 Roulette - Round 2 First Impressions
« Reply #385 on: May 22, 2024, 12:45:22 PM »
Important: this post has a picture at the end of it. If you can't see the picture, please let me know and I'll choose another site for uploading the pics.

Round 3 First Theme Reveal and Guidelines

Hey guys! I usually send the guidelines via PMs to the people who are choosing the themes (and I will continue to do so for the future rounds because for this particular roulette I'd like to make it a bit unpredictable), but since this time it may require a bit of preparation or thinking, I'm doing it two days in advance.

The guidelines for this round's theme are:

- Pick either any photo you took (at any time, be that 30 years ago or yesterday), or a photo featuring you (also from any time), and use it as a theme. No explanation required, but if you wish, you can provide an explanation of where, when and why the picture was taken.
- If the photo features you, it actually has to be you on it. If it's your photo, anything can be on it. Forum rules apply. Please don't try to pass a photo from the Internet as yours—I probably won't even know, but it'll be in bad taste.
- As the theme is posted before the next round began, you can arrange to take a picture in the next two days and use it, if you want.
- If you can't pick any photo of yours for the theme, Sacul and Lonk will pick one for you as the resident photographer participants.

You may want to consider picking a photo that applies to your song (so you can shoot for an additional point), but it's not necessary.

The picture I'm going to use for my theme is a printed photo of pre-school me, I think it was maybe 1997-1999 and I was around 4-6 years old but I've got no way to verify that right now. I'll ask my mom when I see her on Friday I suppose. :lol

Comparisons tomorrow, results Friday, start thinking on your themes if you think you'll be down there on the scoreboard. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Wiggles aren't banned, are they?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
The Wiggles aren't banned, are they?

Don't cock block me here!!!!  :) :) :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I prefer the Greg Era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
So the song I send is based on the picture I choose?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Do Russian pre-schoolers usually walk around with a pack of smokes?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I prefer the Greg Era.

Did you watch the documentary on Amazon Prime yet?  The jingle.family did before our vacation.  Good stuff!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, you started puffing young Ruslan.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Did you watch the documentary on Amazon Prime yet?  The jingle.family did before our vacation.  Good stuff!

No I didn't. We have Prime. Is it free? I'll check it out.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
So the song I send is based on the picture I choose?

Two lowest-scoring players after this round (not counting Shadow Ninja and Stadler) will choose a picture each making it three pics total, like three themes we had this round. You can choose one of then or just skip the themes entirely if you wish.

Do Russian pre-schoolers usually walk around with a pack of smokes?

It was either my dad's or (more likely) I just found it lying around  :biggrin: Never smoked anything in my life so the pic is rather funny to me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Pick either any photo you took (at any time, be that 30 years ago or yesterday), or a photo featuring you (also from any time), and use it as a theme. No explanation required, but if you wish, you can provide an explanation of where, when and why the picture was taken.

So this only applies to the bottom 2 picking the themes?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Pick either any photo you took (at any time, be that 30 years ago or yesterday), or a photo featuring you (also from any time), and use it as a theme. No explanation required, but if you wish, you can provide an explanation of where, when and why the picture was taken.

So this only applies to the bottom 2 picking the themes?

Yes. For the last round I sent it via PM, this time I wanted to post it in advance so people at the bottom of the leaderboard were prepared.

However it's possible there'll be another opportunity like this further down the road so it could be useful to have a picture picked out in advance.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
It's Round 2 Comparisons time!

Mercy Falls > A Mercy Fall
A Mercy Fall > Everlasting Fall
L-O-V-E > HATE?
Midnight Radio < Fahr Zur Hölle
Cöffée > Téa
The Gentle Storm > Violent Storm
Violent Storm ? A Beautiful Storm
Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out Of Hand > My Phone Music Player's Capacity to Show Long Song Names
Steven Wilson > Vilsen
Teargas < Chemical Gas
Othan > A Box of Birds
The Light and Shade of Things > Borrowed Time
Down From the Sky > Silence in the Snow
Telegraph Road > The Mother Road

Results tomorrow!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Evermind's artsy/deranged v4 Roulette - Round 2 Comparisons
« Reply #398 on: May 23, 2024, 11:11:22 AM »
that's true

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #400 on: May 23, 2024, 11:21:59 AM »
yes

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #402 on: May 23, 2024, 11:57:35 AM »
Steven Wilson > Vilsen

I mean.....obvious. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: May 23, 2024, 12:23:50 PM »
Oh okay that's Ziltoid. I need to get some sleep apparently :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #405 on: May 23, 2024, 12:26:10 PM »
:(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: May 23, 2024, 02:50:20 PM »
Nice.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
It's Round 2 Comparisons time!

Mercy Falls > A Mercy Fall
A Mercy Fall > Everlasting Fall
L-O-V-E > HATE?
Midnight Radio < Fahr Zur Hölle
Cöffée > Téa
The Gentle Storm > Violent Storm
Violent Storm ? A Beautiful Storm
Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out Of Hand > My Phone Music Player's Capacity to Show Long Song Names
Steven Wilson > Vilsen
Teargas < Chemical Gas
Othan > A Box of Birds
The Light and Shade of Things > Borrowed Time
Down From the Sky > Silence in the Snow
Telegraph Road > The Mother Road

Results tomorrow!

Obvious statement is obvious.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: May 23, 2024, 05:27:25 PM »
I completely forgot about the comparisons portion of roulettes.   :facepalm:  That would have been cool to add it too.  Bugger.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #409 on: May 23, 2024, 06:04:56 PM »
There's sort of this contagion thing going on with roulettes.  Someone comes up with or revives an idea, the next several roulettes copy or do a variation on it, and then sometimes they disappear for awhile again.  :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #410 on: May 23, 2024, 08:23:01 PM »
I'm not quite sure how to take those comparisons......with a grain of salt perhaps?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: May 23, 2024, 10:57:16 PM »
I mean, some of these are legit :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: May 24, 2024, 08:16:47 AM »
I'm so sorry to be that guy, but what am I supposed to do for Round Three?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #413 on: May 24, 2024, 09:36:59 AM »
I wonder what Serenity would sound like with growls.

BTW, I just listened to Lionheart, and "The Last Crusade" definitely had growls, apparently from the guitarist. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: May 24, 2024, 09:51:36 AM »
I'm so sorry to be that guy, but what am I supposed to do for Round Three?

Nothing! You've already had to pick a theme for Round 2 so it's highly unlikely you'll need to do it again anytime soon. You can wait for three themes/pictures to be revealed (one I posted already), or you can forgo that and just send a song. No additional actions required.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: May 24, 2024, 09:52:14 AM »
BTW, I just listened to Lionheart, and "The Last Crusade" definitely had growls, apparently from the guitarist.

I don't know all their albums that well. Don't recall much growls from them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: May 24, 2024, 10:27:58 AM »
Nothing! You've already had to pick a theme for Round 2 so it's highly unlikely you'll need to do it again anytime soon. You can wait for three themes/pictures to be revealed (one I posted already), or you can forgo that and just send a song. No additional actions required.

I can do that!

:tup :tup

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: May 24, 2024, 11:27:39 AM »
Alright, sitting down after a long working day to knock out the results. Coming up in ~3 hours.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's artsy/deranged v4 Roulette - Round 2 Results
« Reply #418 on: May 24, 2024, 02:14:43 PM »
Round 2 Results:

Elite: Benjamin Herman’s Bughouse - A Box of Birds

First impression: none

Uh… so I guess there are two possibilities how this happened. First, at some point I wrote something that somehow mistakenly let you know I’ve got a very open mind about music, especially this kind of music. Second, you’ve got a very open mind about music, saw the “to annoy” theme and really don’t give a shit about your score. I think both are quite possible.

Well, given how fast the birds’ hearts beat, and how they sing their hearts out near my window these times when the sun barely comes up at 4:30 AM, I think that’s about what you’ll get if you put them all in a box, so props to this song for really representing it. And also props to the drummer—he sounds like he has the time of his life.

Rich, I guess it’s no secret at this point that I apparently don’t have a very open mind about these things (never said I did) and I didn’t like this at all; but I’m really curious—what are your own thoughts on this? You teach acoustic guitar, you know music theory—what’s so fascinating about this piece? Because to me, that’s a wild mish-mash and jumble of pieces.

I can only award it quarter a point for saxophone and half a point for the concept. Oh, and this is the best example of a song for the “to annoy” theme, because it annoyed at least two, potentially three, people: me, because I had to endure that; you, because of the score you’re going to get; and RJ, who gets cheated of his rightful theme point at the last moment. :lol

Score: 1.25/10 + 1.01 = 2.26

lonestar: BAND-MAID – HATE?

First impression: Totally nailed the "to annoy" theme here! I really should've known better than to allow players to pick the themes.

I’ve got some bad news for you RJ, first off, as you’ve probably noticed already, Elite sent such an annoying song I couldn’t award that particular point to you, even though your song was a steadfast leader in the “to annoy” competition all the time.

And second, I’m really torn about this song because I do genuinely see they kick ass in the musicianship department—they’re fantastic on their instruments; but I just don’t like the song as a whole, and the biggest chunk of my dislike is rooted in the vocals. The song is so busy instrumentally as is, the wordy vocal lines don’t help it, they add to the chaos, and the song turns into a total onslaught on the senses. Combined with the lyrics and the theme—and while I laughed a bit when you sent the lyrics in your PM, these “ye ye ye ye ye ye I hate you lalalala” are even worse when she sings them—I wouldn’t say I struggled to get through this after a couple of listens, but I was not looking forward for this song in the playlist, which is always a not-so-good sign (and was never the case for Adabana, which I liked).

The instrumental section here is really fine though, and even more so on the live video. There girls got chops for sure, and if not for that, this song would’ve been somewhere around 3.75-4.25 range. Sorry I didn’t like it more.

Score: 4.75/10 (no bonus point thanks to Elite and his box of birds)

Sacul: Chelsea Wolfe – The Mother Road

First impression: What you really needed is something to make a better song. :neverusethis: No, I dig the somewhat uneasy atmosphere but not exactly sure how this will pan out on the future spins.

The only way I can describe this song in one word is “stilted”—it feels as if she’s intentionally holding up on vocals, almost gnashing her teeth to make it sound grittier, restrained and lower in the register. It would’ve been great if there was a payoff, but the small windows where she eases up on that effect (“It was you-u-u”) are not enough, and the final section of the song (“Bloom and eclipse them, wake up and transform”) ends up not climactic at all.

The song has a unique atmosphere though. There are also fantastic swells during 1:39-1:53 which made me consider this song for the “to plummet” theme—they made me really uneasy in my stomach. Overall the song did a good job keeping my on my toes.

One other aspect that stood out to me (and not in a good way) is repetition. Really, there are two stanzas (one of which includes an awkward “spider in Chernobyl” line), and the choruses/the final part are just one line repeated four or eight times.

Score: 5.75/10

twosuitsluke: Cemetery Skyline – Violent Storm

First impression: This might be a little bit on the tame side especially with this song name. I'd expected this to be all growls and riffs, with this lineup too.

First of all, I’ve only listened to this four times (in 144p on YouTube). I’m sorry Luke, this is on my end mostly, but I feel I did my best. Can’t use Spotify, the song is hard blocked on YouTube (I can access some that are blocked via VPN, but for this one it was spotty—one day it was available to me, the other day it wasn’t), and the album isn’t released yet, so I can’t find it anywhere on the web. I know this is not in the spirit of roulettes, but as the situation kinda sucks this much, I’d ask you to stick with the already released albums if you’re unable to provide the mp3s.

Now onto the song! This is some safe, basic gothic sounding; the chorus fairly big and memorable enough with those ascending / descending lines alternating. And honestly, the chorus is all that this song has to it (modulated several times?)—on the verses the vocalist clearly dials it back, making them almost spoken, to have the contrast with the chorus where he soars (well, gothically soars in the lower/mid-register along with the keys in the background) on the words “violent storm”. This is indeed a bit more suited to my taste, but I thought it was lacking any finesse, and it felt like a run-of-the-mill dark gothic song. Don’t get me wrong… I still liked it though.

The video in 144p was hilarious too.

Score: 6/10

Stadler: Waylon Jennings - Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out of Hand

First impression: Reminds me of Dire Straits or maybe Mark Knopfler's solo work, and I do like both.

So, what’s this style? Given how old this is, clearly it wasn’t influenced by Dire Straits, more like the other way around. American folk/country music? Genuinely curious and don’t want to Google it as I’m pretty sure you’ll give me a better answer.

I do enjoy it; not quite as much as I enjoy a well-produced progressive metal or a death metal song, but more in a sense that I think it’s a fine piece of music; it’s fun, the guitar licks are catchy, and more importantly it feels like the band is having fun. I feel this could’ve used a bridge or something to add a bit of length and break up the monotone storytelling structure of “verse – chorus – verse – chorus – another chorus – we’re done here”. While I probably won’t add this to my rotation, I would totally go and see something like this live.

Oh, and I’m sorry, while this is clearly a song about the “to flush” in a literal sense, I did like something a bit less literal for the theme more. Think about it as you provided a way for other people to be creative. :)

Lonk: Jennifer Thomas – A Beautiful Storm

First impression: I thought that was an intro part of the track but apparently that's the track! :lol I need to pay more attention on the future listens, that sounded promising.

So in the last writeup I said that I didn’t like that the song lacked the focus on vocals, and you decided to send me an instrumental. :lol Well there’s no focus on vocals now for sure.

Taken as a standalone piece, it’s just a beautiful piano composition with some strings in the background. I’m not sure if it paints a storm for me, but I like how it swells and quiets along the way, and overall it’s very easy on the ears. I know little about music theory (paging Elite and other musicians), but seeing how nothing really jumps out to me here as jarring, it sounds like it’s written in some kind of traditional chord progression way—and my vast knowledge allows me to note that it starts and ends with a root note.

In case you didn’t notice, I don’t have much to say about this piece, but I was glad every time it came up, because it’s fairly pleasant to listen to. However, to get higher scores, you’ll need either something spectacular in this genre that will connect me in some unpredictable way, or something with a bit more meat on the bones.

jingle.boy: A-Z – Borrowed Time

First impression: That's the chorus? Did they spend 10 minutes writing it and said "yeah that'll do"? Rest of the song was very solid but that chorus, man.

After ten or more listens, I take my words back. I don’t think they churned out the chorus in 10 minutes. Well, I don’t really know and I probably won’t ever know, but now it feels to me that it was their artistic decision to represent how times goes on and on, never stops, and as they say, the candle of life is always burning. The chorus basically chugs along at a steady pace, never wavering, only slightly altering (I do like the vocal harmonies on the last chorus, I could use more of that in the song), and at some point I chose to think it makes a lot of sense for the song—but it’s still quite jarring to my ears. The verses are very strong though, like the last few Fates Warning albums strong. Ray going wild on “to the sky” and “through the pain” parts is great to hear.

My other complaint about this is the production. While Theories of Flight and Long Day Good Night had this warm, almost welcoming production, this feels a bit detached and clinical. I’m not sure if it’s some weird effect on Ray’s voice, but I do think he sounded better on those Fates Warning albums, or even in Redemption when he was there.

If the choruses were as strong as verses, we would’ve been easily looking at somewhere in 7.5s range, but while I did came to a relative peace with the chorus, it still drags the song way down for me.

Score: 6.5/10

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's artsy/deranged v4 Roulette - Round 2 Results
« Reply #419 on: May 24, 2024, 02:15:28 PM »
Shadow Ninja 2.0: Bohren and Der Club of Gore - Far Zuhr Hölle

First impression: Hello Sacul! This is a little bit minimalistic for me so didn't leave a strong impression but I do enjoy this kind of thing as you very well know.

As I said, I only knew Midnight Radio from them (and whatever tracks Sacul played in plug.dj, I don’t remember the titles). This fits with what I’ve heard from them—minimalistic, relaxing, serene and contemplative. Scarce piano chords, bass and pensive saxophone, never quite resolving the phrase—as I said in one of my previous roulettes, this is a good whiskey-and-cat music. Perfect for an evening lounge on your lawn in a rocking chair, perfect to enjoy the setting sun and the twilight that comes after.

While I do maintain that to get higher scores, you’ll need either something spectacular in this genre that will connect me in some unpredictable way, or something with a bit more meat on the bones, I can’t deny that I enjoyed this quite a bit. Definitely an album to check out in the future.

Score: 6.75/10

ariich: Wolfheart – Everlasting Fall

First impression: This should be a strong contender for "to plummet" theme. Quite relentless, maybe a bit too much.

This had all the components to be a hit with me, however after more than ten listens I can only say that it’s not a miss.

This is probably going to be frustrating for you, Rich, as I’m not exactly sure what it is that makes the growls sound fresh and exciting for me, what makes them benefit the song, and how should they jive and clash with the instrumental parts for me to like it. From 3:20 and onward, this song felt like a constant assault of growls, which sometimes ebbed away when the drummer eased up on blastbeats, and sometimes returned back in full force when the drummer hammered it down. It doesn’t help that the song is 10 minutes. The first three minutes is pure build-up and they fly by; it’s also the only three minutes where the song is relatively quiet, and I think they could’ve added a few more sections like that throughout the song. The next seven minutes, however, are a bit of a drag. But I do like it quite a bit still.

As I’m writing this, I’m only now realizing that “fall” probably means “autumn” here, because the very next line speaks about the winter. Too bad, this is still too perfect of a song for “to plummet” theme, because as I listen to this, I can only imagine the boulder slowly losing its balance in the first three minutes and then plummeting down along the mountain slope until eventually crashing to the ground.

Score: 6.75/10 + 1.01 = 7.76

wolfking: Trivium – Down From the Sky

First impression: This is a bit rough to my tastes at moments but given what the song is about, it makes sense.

At this point, I’m fairly sure this band works better with extreme vocals than without them.

This song has a good balance between extreme/raspy vocals with grit and the clean ones, and in comparison with Litho’s song, the chorus is short, right to the point and very ear-worm-like. The rough parts, or I probably used the wrong word, they’re more like “raw” parts, are really rough though: the “The vampires feed on the wars of mankind” lines and the bridge especially are a bit difficult to get through. Given the song subject, I can allow for the necessity of it, but that doesn’t make them pleasant to endure, and with the strong choruses, adequate verses and the unhinged screams during those raw parts, I think the song landed somewhere in the “good” range, but not much further than that.

Oh, and I really liked the creative interpretation of the “to flush” theme so much that I’m awarding you a point for this one. I’m not debating if it was necessary or not, not in the slightest, but I can’t imagine a better representation of “flushing life down the drain” than a nuclear strike.

Score: 7/10 + 1.01 = 8.01

King: Almo – Vilsen

First impression: Love and pain, engage your senses, and let them carve the way... wait, wrong band/song.

While I know this is one of your treasures discoveries, sending this was very bold, because this song is not accessible at all. Either that, or it may be just my attention span, because after more than ten listens, I can’t fully tell you how it goes in terms of structure. I only remember the certain moments, and the rest comes to me when I’m listening.

This has a lot of Haken vibes, from Affinity and Vector for sure; it also has a lot of diversity between clean and harsh vocals, and I was never once bored with this song. When I thought the vocals will continue being steady, the singer instantly switched to rattling off some lines at impressive speed; when I thought he would go clean, he’d switch to harsh and so on. All that, and the production also sounds professional—this could’ve been a song from an established band in the genre.

I quite like this, and I feel that after ten more listens I’ll like it even more. However that’s the drawback of roulettes—I’ve only got limited time to get acquainted with the song. But don’t get me wrong, this is pretty good, and honestly makes me want to get back from my dreary musical landscape to listen to progressive metal more.

Score: 7.25/10

LithoJazzoSphere: Counting Hours – A Mercy Fall

First impression: Is this a singer from Serenity? Oh, there are growls. Maybe not then! I wonder what Serenity would sound like with growls.

What’s “a mercy fall” anyway? Asking as a non-native English speaker.

This song probably took me a longest time to place except the Almo one; I knew I did like the overall sound from the get-go, but my attention kept drifting away during the song, and after a few listens I was able to pinpoint the problem—the clean chorus just kind of wanders around its’ notes in circles and essentially gets nowhere. I kept mentally blanking out during these parts, and while it’s nowhere near as dragging and jarring as Borrowed Time chorus, I still think some kind of stronger resolution to this clean vocal melody going round and round, as if going on a slow carousel dance (this description makes sense in my head) would’ve benefitted the song.

That being said, the harsh vocals make a good contrast with the warm clean ones, and overall the song paints a beautiful, if a bit tinged with sadness and wistfulness, picture. As I accumulated the listens, it kept climbing the rankings, and while it didn’t end up being exceptional, it landed somewhere around “fairly good”.

Score: 7.5/10

Puppies: Paatos – Téa

First impression: Oh hey that's kinda lovely.

That’s absolutely lovely. It’s gorgeous but not in your face, very slow-going, soft and tranquil in the beginning, with a subtle build-up to a higher intensity throughout the song. The band (or the songwriter) clearly knows where to step back and where to gently push, and the song is so gradual and smooth in its development, I didn’t truly appreciate its beauty for the first couple of times.

I loved the “all out” ending, which wasn’t really all out, but most of the instruments were there in their not quite full force, and the singer’s crooning chanting lines were the cherry on top. I wish the song was in English, and I wish the singer had a bit more time to shine—I’m curious to hear how she sounds on the rest of the album. I also think the main guitar riff could’ve used a little bit more variation, but that’s me nitpicking. That’s simply a beautiful song.

Score: 8.25/10

TAC: Fires in the Distance – Harbingers

First impression: THE CHEMICAL GAS! Where did the gas come from though, I bet it's not what he's singing at all. :lol Cracking tune.

With ariich’s Wolfheart entry showing us how to do a 10-minutes growly metal song not exactly wrong, but not that exciting, we have this to show us how to do it exactly right.

I see this is the opener of the album, and you know how they say (I don’t know how they say it in English but they surely say it) the first impression trumps everything. The first two minutes of this song leave the hell of a first impression, with the short, quiet and then explosive intro, and then going straight into the blistering growls with well-thought and well-timed guitar riff beneath them. I love how they go with a shorter lyric for the “question” part of the phrase (“Wings ablaze / Earth is razed / The crash is imminent / Still I’m not there”), and then go full-blown blastbeats and a longer lyric for the “answer” part that ends at the beginning of the next bar (“I descend through the blizzards and blistering snow” is the best example of this). And the lyrics are also incredibly well-suited for this part; “ablaze” and “razed” sounds positively whipping when he belts that.

The song loses a bit of steam with the second verse but only compared to the first—I’m less fond of the lyrical and rhythmic choices on that one, but again, only because the first one was near perfect. Then we have the piano sections that serve as breaks between the intense moments of the song, a deft and very tasteful touch. And it’s not just a couple of seconds break, they’re fully developed sections on their own. And then we have the third, different verse with “I’ll never see daylight” which is also awesome, if a bit too short (and what’s up with “I’ve singed the last whisPAAAAAAH”? :lol ), followed by another piano section.

Ironically, the only section I’m not too fond of (and otherwise the song would’ve been in 9.25-9.5 range easily), is the they’re-gaining-on-us aka “the chemical gas” section; I think I don’t quite like the choice of guitar chords in that one—they opt to go for the higher notes that I don’t think quite work for me.

Fun-fact: for about 25 years, I thought it was “harbringers”, not “harbingers”. I wonder about the etymology of this word, because apparently they’re not bringing har. Anyone?

Good on you Tim, cracking song, on par with Draconian from the last round. This album will be among the first I’ll check out after the roulette.

Score: 8.75/10

Scoreboard:

ariich - 17.27 (congrats ariich)
LithoJazzoSphere - 16.25
TAC - 15.5
Puppies - 14.25
wolfking - 14.01
King - 13.5
Sacul - 13.5
jingle.boy - 12
lonestar - 11.5
twosuitsluke - 11.5
Lonk - 11.25
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 11.01
Stadler - 11
Elite - 9.77