Author Topic: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025  (Read 36103 times)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Re: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025
« Reply #910 on: May 21, 2024, 10:05:17 PM »
Did anyone receive their Platinum VIP tickets already?
I bought them for the Amsterdam show but am not sure if it worked.

Bought them for Amsterdam as well and recieved a mail which said more information will come in time. Looks like we're gonna meet each other.

As for touring and resting LaBries voice... there's another way to limit the pressure on his vocals - next to do less touring - and that's to use setlists that does require less on his high's. Stay more in the vocal range he's comfortable with. I really hope they'll build evenings that do not have those Once In a LIVEtime-moments where you'll get unconfortable with, hearing LaBrie's struggle.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: May 22, 2024, 09:58:30 AM »
Bought them for Amsterdam as well and recieved a mail which said more information will come in time. Looks like we're gonna meet each other.

As for touring and resting LaBries voice... there's another way to limit the pressure on his vocals - next to do less touring - and that's to use setlists that does require less on his high's. Stay more in the vocal range he's comfortable with. I really hope they'll build evenings that do not have those Once In a LIVEtime-moments where you'll get unconfortable with, hearing LaBrie's struggle.

Maybe he's been asked this and I missed it, but someone who interviews MP should bring it up.  Since he's making the setlist, is he taking into account JLB's capabilities each night?  Will the setlist reflect his abilities?  Because I think it should if he's going to struggle.  They really don't need to play the hardest songs for him to sing, but I fear MP might want to play those songs the most now that he's back in the band. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #912 on: May 22, 2024, 12:53:16 PM »
Maybe he's been asked this and I missed it, but someone who interviews MP should bring it up.  Since he's making the setlist, is he taking into account JLB's capabilities each night?  Will the setlist reflect his abilities?  Because I think it should if he's going to struggle.  They really don't need to play the hardest songs for him to sing, but I fear MP might want to play those songs the most now that he's back in the band.
He has in the past. That's why they performed abridged versions of Voices and TtT, skipping over the brutal verses that JL struggled with 15-20 years ago. I'm sure MP will do the same now, and in fact even more so given that they're older and JL's abilities are more limited. Plus there will probably be some songs that they'll downtune, change the vocal melodies and/or change in other ways to make it easier on him, too.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #913 on: May 23, 2024, 03:53:56 AM »
He has in the past. That's why they performed abridged versions of Voices and TtT, skipping over the brutal verses that JL struggled with 15-20 years ago. I'm sure MP will do the same now, and in fact even more so given that they're older and JL's abilities are more limited. Plus there will probably be some songs that they'll downtune, change the vocal melodies and/or change in other ways to make it easier on him, too.

Exactly. And even more, Portnoy strives and longs for perfection. So if 'taking care of his friend LaBrie' isn't enough to keep the setlist vocal-comfortable, then the desire of building a wonderful live experience, surely would do.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #914 on: May 23, 2024, 08:42:08 AM »
Portnoy strives and longs for perfection.

I wouldn't say this is accurate. He wants to create a unique live experience for sure, but I don't think perfection is the word for it. He doesn't even learn his own drum parts to perfection and is much more of a "spur of the moment" kind guy. Not a dig at him at all, it's just not how I would describe him in that context.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #915 on: May 23, 2024, 12:29:15 PM »
I wouldn't say this is accurate. He wants to create a unique live experience for sure, but I don't think perfection is the word for it. He doesn't even learn his own drum parts to perfection and is much more of a "spur of the moment" kind guy. Not a dig at him at all, it's just not how I would describe him in that context.

I like that thought... gonna digest it.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #916 on: May 24, 2024, 04:29:14 AM »

Well, this sounds hopeful and it's along the lines of what I hope we see.

My nightmare is that, with MP back and in control of the setlists, that James's current ability level won't be good enough for him to capture the nostalgia (or whatever his vision is), which will ruin their new "friendship", and lead to James being fired.

But I think you may have just debunked that fear.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline Animal

« Reply #917 on: May 24, 2024, 05:15:18 AM »
Honest question, what part don't you know?   I think the only part we can't really know for sure is how the extra days impact James, and that's only because it's specific to him.  How the extra days impact profitability is just simple math.   If you've read any of the liner notes from the Fish remasters from a couple years ago, he goes into great detail on how cancelled shows (for various reasons) impact the profitability of a tour.  Add to that the location of the shows - can't just tack on a show in Munich to that tour of England and hope the profit doesn't change - and the logistics there, and you have material impacts. All calculable.

Sure, Stadler, you are right, most of it is calculable. What I meant was that you or I can't make the calculations as the band is not likely to share the necessary data with us. But the band management certainly can calculate these. Except, as you correctly pointed, the impact the extra rest days would have on James. Plus, no one, including the band, can really know how much would James firing on all cylinders (or just on more cylinders than he did the last time) would impact the attendance. I know there are some fans who cite the displeasure with James performance as the reason for not attending shows, but what percentage of potential attendance they are? Is it 10%? 30 %? Or more like 1 %? I have no idea.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #918 on: May 24, 2024, 06:56:41 AM »
Sure, Stadler, you are right, most of it is calculable. What I meant was that you or I can't make the calculations as the band is not likely to share the necessary data with us. But the band management certainly can calculate these. Except, as you correctly pointed, the impact the extra rest days would have on James. Plus, no one, including the band, can really know how much would James firing on all cylinders (or just on more cylinders than he did the last time) would impact the attendance. I know there are some fans who cite the displeasure with James performance as the reason for not attending shows, but what percentage of potential attendance they are? Is it 10%? 30 %? Or more like 1 %? I have no idea.

All fair points.  I understand your point better now. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #919 on: May 24, 2024, 05:51:29 PM »

I can only speak for myself, but I feel a severe lack of excitement for this upcoming tour, and the uncertainty of how James will sound is pretty much the main reason.  Considering how he sounded on the last tour, I have serious doubts that he can do that much of a 180 so quickly (the human voice is fragile after all), but I am definitely rooting for him.  If word gets out after a few shows that James is sounding very good again, I will be as happy as anybody.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #920 on: May 25, 2024, 02:28:21 AM »
My nightmare is that, with MP back and in control of the setlists, that James's current ability level won't be good enough for him to capture the nostalgia (or whatever his vision is), which will ruin their new "friendship", and lead to James being fired.
I mean, it is a possibility, even if there's a very small chance of that happening. I don't think the positions of power in the band are the same now as they were 20 years ago, and it's worth noting that, as far as we know, James didn't come close to actually being fired even with band co-leader Mike pushing for some sort of reckoning in that direction back then. But I'm curious to see how their relationship will be five - or even three - years into this, when the reunion glow fades and it's the daily in and out of Mike and James dealing with each other's quirks and preferences.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 06:29:15 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #921 on: May 26, 2024, 06:33:35 AM »
Unpopular opinion.

I think this is the last tour with James. In honor of their 40th anniversary and the reunion with MP they will tour with this line-up for the last time. Then I think DT will carry on with another singer and maybe make instrumental songs. It's because James' voice is done for a live setting. Altering vocal melodies, instrumental break or downtuning can't make a big difference from this point. This senario for me is a nightmare. I love James, he is my fav. singer, musician. And please James. PROVE ME WRONG!
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: May 26, 2024, 06:54:39 AM »
I don't see that happening. Other than James leaving under his own accord I don't think they will kick him out no matter how bad he sounds. Tons of other bands have singers whose voices have aged terribly but they're still there. Not to mention I don't think they would gain any sort of boost in popularity unless they bring in a huge name and even that that boost would be brief at best.

Quote from: crystalstars17
I mean, it is a possibility, even if there's a very small chance of that happening. I don't think the
positions of power in the band are the same now as they were 20 years ago, and it's worth noting that, as far as we know, James didn't come close to actually being fired even with band co-leader Mike pushing for some sort of reckoning in that direction back then. But I'm curious to see how their relationship will be five - or even three - years into this, when the reunion glow fades and it's the daily in and out of Mike and James dealing with each other's quirks and preferences.

I don't think this is going to happen either. MP maybe back in the band and he might be doing setlists again but the power dynamic seems to have shifted. This is JP's band now and I feel like he has the final say. Will MP and James get on each other's nerves? Maybe, possibly, but that could happen with anyone you're spending that amount of time with. Additionally MP personality has seemed to have gotten softer of the years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #923 on: May 26, 2024, 08:15:42 AM »
I can think of musicians who were let go from bands because they were no longer doing the job well (the bass players from Bon Jovi and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers are the first two that come to mind), but I cannot think of any longtime singers who were let go from bands for the sole reason of, they couldn't sing well anymore.   

I can't imagine the band brought back Portnoy to do one last final tour and then call it a day, and his return should ensure that this first tour with the band back together will do well, but it's hard to imagine multiple tours going forward without James' vocals rebounding in a big way. 

I will reiterate as well that I am rooting for James to get it back, but time will tell.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #924 on: May 26, 2024, 08:29:21 AM »
yeah they MUST figure out new vocalmelodies and where to downtune before going on tour. I was really surprised they didn't before the last tour.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #925 on: May 26, 2024, 01:08:38 PM »
I don't get the sentiment that there's any possibility of JLB leaving/being replaced after this tour. It would be such a major lineup shift for a band that probably is nearing its twilight years. I've interpreted MP's return as at least partially with the intention of making sure the band retires with the "classic" lineup in tact. Taking JLB out of the band after a tour seems to defeat the purpose to me. I think it's more likely that they'll just call it a day if/when JLB's voice gives out. JLB aside, I also am not really expecting this to turn into an Iron Maiden situation where the lineup continues for another 20+ years. I'm getting more of a "ride into the sunset" kinda vibe from this.

I do agree that this is going to be seen as a make or break moment for JLB, with all the extra scrutiny on the shows and the controversies around his singing over the last few years. But it's important to keep some things in mind IMO:

1: JLB is getting over a year off from live shows. He can use that time to work with a coach, get any medical attention that he might need, or whatever else he needs to do to get in better shape than he was in 2023.

2: JLB has turned things around in the past, often when under pressure. I remember feeling like he was putting more effort in when Mangini came in compared to the previous few tours (between 2007 - 2010). Obviously making major changes is harder as you get older, but I'm not going to bet against him here. He knows as well as anyone else that he needs to deliver on this tour.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #926 on: May 26, 2024, 01:12:08 PM »
I agree, there's absolutely zero universe where the band replaces JLB before it stops functioning (as in making music and touring regularly). This is the final lineup, folks. Let's hope we get as many albums and tours of good stuff as possible.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #927 on: May 26, 2024, 02:54:31 PM »
Doctor Strange says 1 in 14 million of the possible timelines this happens.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #928 on: May 26, 2024, 03:17:18 PM »
I agree, there's absolutely zero universe where the band replaces JLB before it stops functioning (as in making music and touring regularly). This is the final lineup, folks. Let's hope we get as many albums and tours of good stuff as possible.

🙏💕
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline Glasser

« Reply #929 on: May 26, 2024, 03:56:14 PM »

Not saying it would happen but if he was replaced I'm pretty sure they are not losing a single fan.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #930 on: May 26, 2024, 04:16:16 PM »
1: JLB is getting over a year off from live shows. He can use that time to work with a coach, get any medical attention that he might need, or whatever else he needs to do to get in better shape than he was in 2023.

I hear you, but boy did we say the same thing during the lockdowns in 2020-2021. They basically didn't tour for about a year and a half but instead of getting James in great shape we got what we saw live in 2022-2023.

Not trying to be pessimistic or rain in anyone's parade, but I think we shouldn't approach this with false high expectations for the vocal department.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gborland

« Reply #931 on: May 26, 2024, 04:36:37 PM »
I can think of musicians who were let go from bands because they were no longer doing the job well (the bass players from Bon Jovi

It's not exactly hard to play bass for Bon Jovi. How bad was he?
Graham Borland

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #932 on: May 26, 2024, 04:51:05 PM »
Not saying it would happen but if he was replaced I'm pretty sure they are not losing a single fan.

Think again!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #933 on: May 26, 2024, 05:31:21 PM »
I hear you, but boy did we say the same thing during the lockdowns in 2020-2021. They basically didn't tour for about a year and a half but instead of getting James in great shape we got what we saw live in 2022-2023.

Not trying to be pessimistic or rain in anyone's parade, but I think we shouldn't approach this with false high expectations for the vocal department.
Maybe. I wasn’t paying as much attention to DT specifically at that point admittedly, but for in general I was pretty skeptical and expected a lot of musicians to come out of lockdown pretty out of shape.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Trav86

« Reply #934 on: May 26, 2024, 06:15:40 PM »

One right here.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #935 on: May 27, 2024, 02:22:16 AM »
Two here. If James goes, I go. It would take a monumentally masterpiece of an album to keep me interested.

And to be brutally honest, while I still love the band and I don't have a single regret about seeing them on the last tour, and I was more than willing to go again even if Portnoy hadn't returned, the last two albums were the ones that had least staying power for me. They came and went and while I don't dislike them, I hardly ever returned to them, and even when they were new the times I played those album were dramatically inferior to the playing time the previous albums got.

So if in this equation, where I still like the band but the albums already don't have any lasting effect on me, you take away the defining voice of DT.... that's where I jump ship, unless they come up with the perfect replacement and a literal masterpiece. No, a quite good album with another singer isn't enough, it has to be a masterpiece to keep me interested.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #936 on: May 27, 2024, 04:27:45 AM »
Two here. If James goes, I go.

Three! That would be absolutely the last straw.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #937 on: May 27, 2024, 05:23:07 AM »

Then it seems you don't know well DT fanbase. Pretty amount of fans listen DT and being a fan because of James in the first place. I, for one, quit listening if James leaves.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline emtee

« Reply #938 on: May 27, 2024, 06:52:15 AM »
I will continue to be a supportive fan regardless of who comes or goes and for whatever reason  they do so.

I said in another thread that there is a possibility that any of them may have said they only have 1 more album and tour left in them. Only time will tell.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 07:02:11 AM by emtee »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: May 27, 2024, 06:57:54 AM »
I will continue to be a supportive fan regardless of who comes or goes and for whatever they do so.

Same here. Not even with the departure of MP in 2010 did I stop listening to them. No member in the band is that sacred or untouchable to me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #942 on: May 27, 2024, 11:22:51 AM »
I will continue to be a supportive fan regardless of who comes or goes and for whatever reason  they do so.

No member in the band is that sacred or untouchable to me.

That's me as well :tup

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #943 on: May 27, 2024, 11:23:16 AM »
If any member decides to leave on their own accord I’ll continue to support the band, but if the band decided to kick James out, that’s when I walk, but I really don’t think that’s gonna happen.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth of Wall Street
« Reply #944 on: May 27, 2024, 11:25:14 AM »
Not saying I want him to leave, but if James left of his own accord and was able to pick his replacement, I would at least give them a chance