Author Topic: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025  (Read 32364 times)

bardic_tortoise and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025
« Reply #875 on: May 20, 2024, 06:50:50 AM »
Out of more than 600millions monthly users, 230millions are Premiums.
Spotify makes 13.2 billions out of the 28 of the global music sales.
It's not profitable because record companies are still those who make the most out of all of this.

Good point. I remember a little while back Snoop Dogg was talking about how much he got for 1 billion streams of a song, it was some crazy low amount. What he failed to disclose is that the song had 18 different writers and sample credits and that the gross amount the song made was much higher.

I'm not defending Spotify at all but whether it's a record deal or streaming there are many avenues taken to grab more pieces of the artist pie, and of course some is to blame on the artists signing a bad deal.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #876 on: May 20, 2024, 09:06:05 AM »
On a related note, in all those discussions about how different singers preserving or losing their voices, it would be really informative to compare their touring schedules. From my perspective, based on my - admittedly very limited - personal experience, full gas singing 5-6 days a week is just too much, something you can partially recover from when younger, but not really when age hits you. IMO, spacing of the shows is an elephant in the room as it is rarely brought up when talking about singers' performance decline, but I suspect it is one of the major factors. But more data would be needed to confirm (or refute) this claim.
You can certainly look at Rush as a reference. I don't remember exactly what tour it was, but there was a point where they stopped doing shows on consecutive days just to make sure Geddy had time to rest his voice. And even then, while on tour, I recall him saying that at least on show days he kept his speaking to a bare minimum, once again to preserve his voice. Now obviously DT doesn't have the draw that Rush does - at least in North America - so that's a factor, as is the increase in expenses post-pandemic, which Rush never had to deal with. So I'm sure that if it were up to them, they'd space the shows out more for James' sake, but it's quite possible that's just not financially feasible.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline emtee

« Reply #877 on: May 20, 2024, 10:36:02 AM »
I spun D/T and ADToE this weekend, paying really close attention to the drums. It's going to be interesting to hear MP's rendition of some of these songs. Gotta believe The Alien will be in the setlist. This is a tough song to play. MP will certainly handle it just fine but it may have his spin on it in some places.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #878 on: May 20, 2024, 11:22:58 AM »
I spun D/T and ADToE this weekend, paying really close attention to the drums. It's going to be interesting to hear MP's rendition of some of these songs. Gotta believe The Alien will be in the setlist. This is a tough song to play. MP will certainly handle it just fine but it may have his spin on it in some places.

Oddly, I think MP (playing MM songs, specifically) will have the benefits/issues as LaBrie live. In the moment, at the concert, 95% of the people won't notice any differences as long as the parts are mostly similar, but when people see either a DVD or live videos, they will notice the differences a lot more and those that demand identical performances will not be thrilled.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #879 on: May 20, 2024, 01:26:04 PM »
Oddly, I think MP (playing MM songs, specifically) will have the benefits/issues as LaBrie live. In the moment, at the concert, 95% of the people won't notice any differences as long as the parts are mostly similar, but when people see either a DVD or live videos, they will notice the differences a lot more and those that demand identical performances will not be thrilled.
You're probably right on all accounts. The one thing to keep in mind (especially for those critical of MP not playing MM's parts exactly) is that MP never played his own parts exactly either. Neil Peart he is not. So to expect him to do so now is ridiculous. Just look at how he handled Donati's parts in Apocalypse 1470 B.C. for the PSMS shows to get an idea of how he'll likely handle MM's parts.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #880 on: May 20, 2024, 01:38:13 PM »
You're probably right on all accounts. The one thing to keep in mind (especially for those critical of MP not playing MM's parts exactly) is that MP never played his own parts exactly either. Neil Peart he is not. So to expect him to do so now is ridiculous. Just look at how he handled Donati's parts in Apocalypse 1470 B.C. for the PSMS shows to get an idea of how he'll likely handle MM's parts.
You're exactly right on every point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #881 on: May 20, 2024, 02:28:27 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how that plays out among the fans, and I would guess that MP is thinking about it when preparing the setlist. It's weird to think about, but I guess MP's time in Dream Theater predates the amount of stuff that gets posted and widely shared on social media/youtube/etc. There's going to be a level of scrutiny that wasn't as prominent 14 years ago.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #882 on: May 20, 2024, 03:34:29 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how that plays out among the fans, and I would guess that MP is thinking about it when preparing the setlist. It's weird to think about, but I guess MP's time in Dream Theater predates the amount of stuff that gets posted and widely shared on social media/youtube/etc. There's going to be a level of scrutiny that wasn't as prominent 14 years ago.

This is a really interesting though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #883 on: May 20, 2024, 04:02:41 PM »
Out of more than 600millions monthly users, 230millions are Premiums.
Spotify makes 13.2 billions out of the 28 of the global music sales.
It's not profitable because record companies are still those who make the most out of all of this.

Still, that's almost a 2:1 ratio of non-payers to payers (though I guess there is ad revenue too). Just saying, I don't think people who were download only and didn't pay for music before the onset of streaming suddenly started paying for Spotify. And I don't know how you get people to pay for music when it is so easily accessible for free.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #884 on: May 20, 2024, 04:07:12 PM »
I'd be interested in the usage or number of streams between the payers and the non payers.
Are there stats for that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #885 on: May 20, 2024, 05:03:13 PM »
I still can’t imagine MP playing MM songs. And then also with as much enthusiasm as he plays his own. I’m also quite curious to know which MM era tracks he likes and dislikes. I can’t imagine MP digging The Astonishing all that much, lol.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #886 on: May 20, 2024, 05:06:00 PM »
I have no doubt that MP will be quite convincing in performing the Mangini Era material.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: May 21, 2024, 12:45:36 AM »
Still, that's almost a 2:1 ratio of non-payers to payers (though I guess there is ad revenue too). Just saying, I don't think people who were download only and didn't pay for music before the onset of streaming suddenly started paying for Spotify. And I don't know how you get people to pay for music when it is so easily accessible for free.

1. People are lazy - i'm one of them
2. Spotify is insanely conveniant

Offline Hauswife1

« Reply #888 on: May 21, 2024, 02:14:48 AM »
Did anyone receive their Platinum VIP tickets already?
I bought them for the Amsterdam show but am not sure if it worked.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #889 on: May 21, 2024, 07:54:12 AM »
I still can’t imagine MP playing MM songs. And then also with as much enthusiasm as he plays his own. I’m also quite curious to know which MM era tracks he likes and dislikes. I can’t imagine MP digging The Astonishing all that much, lol.

That thought was posted in another thread, and I'll answer it the same way here: MP would appreciate many aspects of The Astonishing.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: May 21, 2024, 09:04:35 AM »
That thought was posted in another thread, and I'll answer it the same way here: MP would appreciate many aspects of The Astonishing.

The fact that you don't like The Astonishing does not equate to MP disliking it as well.
Just like the fact that I adore it and hold it as their greatest acievement does not equate to MP adoring it too.

He can hate it, love it or be totally neitral to it and unless he says what he thinks we will never know.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #891 on: May 21, 2024, 09:33:41 AM »
IIRC, during the time Mike was putting together what became TSF band and tour somebody asked him on Facebook comments if Derek was going to join him for that (since they were already working together for SOA), and he replied something like "Derek is as interested in playing anything from the Jordan era DT as I am in playing anything from The Astonishing :)".

Sure, those were different (bitter) times for him and now he's back in the band, but I don't think he enjoyed it too much back then at least.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mosh

« Reply #892 on: May 21, 2024, 10:54:34 AM »
I think he was being mean to The Astonishing out of bitterness related to DT. He also got weird when Neal Morse wanted to do a double concept album shortly after The Astonishing. It’s a different ball game now that Portnoy is in the band and he is undoubtedly going to be more open minded to those albums than he was before.

With that being said, given how contentious the album was and how a lot of the songs don’t really work out of context, I also don’t think it would be that surprising if they never play Astonishing material again. But that would’ve been true even with MM still in the band. They have a big discography now and not everything is going to make it in.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #893 on: May 21, 2024, 11:54:53 AM »
But that would’ve been true even with MM still in the band.

That's probably true.

And if they're just playing the hokey Our New World...nah, just leave it out.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #894 on: May 21, 2024, 12:04:05 PM »
Yea, I imagine it would be limited to the singles primarily. Our New World, The Gift Of Music, Moment of Betrayal, maybe they would go for something like A New Beginning. I didn't mind The Astonishing and enjoyed the tour enough, but I'm not going to be sad if they never play anything off it again.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #895 on: May 21, 2024, 12:25:39 PM »
Yea, I imagine it would be limited to the singles primarily. Our New World, The Gift Of Music, Moment of Betrayal, maybe they would go for something like A New Beginning. I didn't mind The Astonishing and enjoyed the tour enough, but I'm not going to be sad if they never play anything off it again.

The bolded are three songs I like!

I honestly don't care what albums they hit or not. I do know that I don't want the Mangini Era marginalized though. There was a ton of great music released within.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #896 on: May 21, 2024, 12:29:44 PM »
They will probably use my namesake for PA music, maybe while they walk out?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #897 on: May 21, 2024, 01:08:19 PM »
Why would they do that
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: May 21, 2024, 01:12:40 PM »
The bolded are three songs I like!

Yeah, I'd love to see those three songs.  I'd really love them to do like a 3 song part of the album, but I understand that's a me thing.  It seems the fans, in general, and the band have no desire to play those songs. Sucks for someone like myself who did enjoy the album and thinks some of those songs are very much worthy of being in the live rotation.

« Reply #899 on: May 21, 2024, 01:25:42 PM »
Why would they do that

Because I want them to really bad.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #900 on: May 21, 2024, 01:29:09 PM »
Because I want them to really bad.
Well, that is a fact about you, but it is not a reason why they would do that.

« Reply #901 on: May 21, 2024, 01:41:10 PM »
Well, that is a fact about you, but it is not a reason why they would do that.

Mike Portnoy is a NOMAC and has infiltrated the band :) so it only makes sense for my namesake to become his walk-out music
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #902 on: May 21, 2024, 02:19:00 PM »

What loses out of everyone's criticisms is how JR was the one making those tracks. And they are some good "noise" tracks.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #903 on: May 21, 2024, 02:20:48 PM »
They may or may not break out any The Astonishing songs at their 40th anniversary tour, but I have no doubt it will pop up in future set lists. I would love to get a shortened Astonishing Suite one day in a live set.

Less likely, but I would really love to see them re-do a different version of the album one day with more of a metal edge.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #904 on: May 21, 2024, 02:34:47 PM »
They may or may not break out any The Astonishing songs at their 40th anniversary tour, but I have no doubt it will pop up in future set lists. I would love to get a shortened Astonishing Suite one day in a live set.

Less likely, but I would really love to see them re-do a different version of the album one day with more of a metal edge.

I could see them doing A Gift of Music, A Moment of Betrayal, and A Life Left Behind.

If you do a "reversion" of the album. That would mean an entirely different story to consider.

Since I love The Astonishing, do the fans even grasp the concept, what it's about?

For me, it's a Love story of music. And that is presented with the characters of Faythe and Gabriel. The disassociation of that music is presented by Nefaryus and the NOMACS.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #905 on: May 21, 2024, 02:37:21 PM »
I think he was being mean to The Astonishing out of bitterness related to DT. He also got weird when Neal Morse wanted to do a double concept album shortly after The Astonishing. It’s a different ball game now that Portnoy is in the band and he is undoubtedly going to be more open minded to those albums than he was before.

With that being said, given how contentious the album was and how a lot of the songs don’t really work out of context, I also don’t think it would be that surprising if they never play Astonishing material again. But that would’ve been true even with MM still in the band. They have a big discography now and not everything is going to make it in.

I hope some of them make it to the setlists at some point, but it seems like most of that stuff won't ever get played again. Just give me a good LNFA live version of it and I'll be happy.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #906 on: May 21, 2024, 02:45:57 PM »
I hope some of them make it to the setlists at some point, but it seems like most of that stuff won't ever get played again. Just give me a good LNFA live version of it and I'll be happy.

That's like saying it's a stain their career

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #907 on: May 21, 2024, 02:49:22 PM »

It doesn't have to be bitterness.  SF was a tour to celebrate music HE wrote and played on.  For Derek to be part of that, Derek would be playing on songs that were released on the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth record AFTER he left.  The Astonishing was at that time, the most recent record from Dream Theater, and was the fourth since Mike left. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #908 on: May 21, 2024, 03:06:21 PM »
That's like saying it's a stain their career

Not for me! I love that album (though it's a little bit too long and the lyrics too cheesy at times). I just don't think that, realistically, most of those songs are ever going to be played again. Even still with MM in the band they didn't play anything from it since 2017.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #909 on: May 21, 2024, 06:50:44 PM »

I also love The Astonishing as it is, but I do think the music leaned a little too much in one direction and neglected the proginess and metal that has always been a huge part of their sound.