Author Topic: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025  (Read 27726 times)

the_silent_man and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025
« Reply #805 on: May 10, 2024, 09:09:34 AM »
While I'm not a fan of Terminal 5, I wouldn't mind if they play there.

Last time I saw DT at a general admission show was in 2014 at the Hammerstein Ballroom on 34th.

DT played Terminal 5 back to back nights for my 2nd and 3rd time seeing them in 2008.  I was also at that Hammerstein Ballroom show.

I quite enjoyed those three, and if I recall, I think those three were the only times I saw DT with general admission.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #806 on: May 10, 2024, 09:09:55 AM »
I would guess they'd play the Oakdale again in Wallingford; can't beat that place, even if it is a seated theater.   I'd rather go there than the Meadows amphitheater (even if it is half the distance for me).

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #807 on: May 10, 2024, 09:47:05 AM »
In Holland you mean? Considering your name I'm thinking you're Dutch. But that's probably not the case. Or you will be seeing these shows outside of The Netherlands. In Holland DT plays at AFAS Live. Symphony X plays a few weeks earlier at smaller venues: Boerderij in Zoetermeer and Next Stage of the 013 in Tilburg (700 maximum capacity). So I'm a bit confused.

i didn't notice it was in a smaller room than normal in 013. I saw DT there plenty times for 45,- though, point still stands, same with AFAS.

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #808 on: May 10, 2024, 10:53:41 AM »
i didn't notice it was in a smaller room than normal in 013. I saw DT there plenty times for 45,- though, point still stands, same with AFAS.

I can understand your point. Prices have been going up for quite a few years now. Not only with DT, tickets in general and everything actually. I guess SymX is still affordable as it's more niche than DT. No news on a new album right? Those guys should really up their communication/marketing. And they should pay respect to more songs in their catalog. It's always the same setlist over again with just a few tweaks here and there. That's what keeps me from going to their show this time. Might change if there's a great new album coming.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 11:36:48 AM by The Paddies »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: May 10, 2024, 11:32:31 AM »

Actually saw Gwar in that smaller hall at 013.  I didn't realize the show was in the smaller hall until getting there.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #810 on: May 10, 2024, 11:38:49 AM »
sounds even more interesting to go see actually. Boerderij is also cozy, but with a horrible trainconnection..

Offline pg1067

« Reply #811 on: May 10, 2024, 11:40:52 AM »
The clip played:

The Root of All Evil
The Spirit Carries On
Take the Time
Rite of Passage

I hope they play them all except A Rite of Passage, that's not worthy being in such a special set for me  :P

Root would be cool, but I don't need/want any of the others.

TSCO has been done to death and isn't all that great outside of the album context.  TTT would have to be heavily edited vocally.  AROP...bleh.  If they're going to do something from BC&SL, Wither is the best choice (IMO, of course).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ayeegit

« Reply #812 on: May 10, 2024, 12:40:59 PM »
With the exception of the last tour with DTB, DT usually play an all-seated venue in Colorado (The Paramount in Denver). Have seen them there three times now, I think

I've seen most of their Denver shows over the last ~25 years, and the only time I remember folks sitting in the Paramount was for The Astonishing...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: May 10, 2024, 12:43:32 PM »
The clip played:

The Root of All Evil
The Spirit Carries On
Take the Time
Rite of Passage

I hope they play them all except A Rite of Passage, that's not worthy being in such a special set for me  :P

I'd say that ARoP would be the song I'd want to see the most out of that list, even if I rate it my least favorite, just because it hasn't gotten the live play like the rest. 

Also, seeing TTT makes me wonder about JLB.  Those I&W songs are going to be tough and kind of would figure they wouldn't hit that album too hard.

Granted, not sure those songs being in the ad means anything at all.  I'm not taking it more than a discussion point.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #814 on: May 10, 2024, 02:23:53 PM »
Also, seeing TTT makes me wonder about JLB.  Those I&W songs are going to be tough and kind of would figure they wouldn't hit that album too hard.

Granted, not sure those songs being in the ad means anything at all.  I'm not taking it more than a discussion point.

I'll say 🙄 I thought the same hearing TTT, and seeing ancient footage of a Score-era James singing these songs. What are they thinking?! Hopefully they learned the first time they made him sing those (I&W) songs and won't just go the nostalgia route now.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #815 on: May 10, 2024, 03:56:24 PM »
I've seen most of their Denver shows over the last ~25 years, and the only time I remember folks sitting in the Paramount was for The Astonishing...

Sure, people stand. But the question was around "all seated venues", which the Paramount is one lol
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Mrpmrprpmrp

« Reply #816 on: May 10, 2024, 05:04:41 PM »
I’m pretty sure they will tune down for a lot of that stuff so Labrie has an easier time. So many bands do this for the same reason. I remember when they played change of seasons with Mangini it was tuned down quite a bit still sounded great.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #817 on: May 10, 2024, 05:23:14 PM »
Yeah but tuning down didn't help him with a song like Take the Time.
I think he could manage it in a lower key, but he’d still have to rewrite the vocal melodies as well. Something that needs to be worked out well before the tour starts rather then in the midst of the tour like he did with Pull Me Under last year.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #818 on: May 10, 2024, 05:24:10 PM »
I’m pretty sure they will tune down for a lot of that stuff so Labrie has an easier time. So many bands do this for the same reason. I remember when they played change of seasons with Mangini it was tuned down quite a bit still sounded great.

They only tuned ACoS and the entire IaW album (except for WFS which they kept in its original key) down a half step, from E to Eb.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Mrpmrprpmrp

« Reply #819 on: May 10, 2024, 07:18:05 PM »
They only tuned ACoS and the entire IaW album (except for WFS which they kept in its original key) down a half step, from E to Eb.

It’s funny I never noticed or don’t remember them changing the key for Images and Words but I definitely remember how much lower changes of season sounded in my mind. Either way goes to show I just remember it was a great show so tune down away lol.

« Reply #820 on: May 10, 2024, 07:42:59 PM »
Down-tuning is something I always immediately notice. I remember all the down-tuned songs on the Rush tour I saw (I think it was the Moving Pictures Time Machine tour). It doesn't ruin it for me but it is instantly obvious why they're doing it.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: May 11, 2024, 05:09:12 AM »
It’s funny I never noticed or don’t remember them changing the key for Images and Words but I definitely remember how much lower changes of season sounded in my mind. Either way goes to show I just remember it was a great show so tune down away lol.

Probably because ACOS is played with a 7 strings guitar, which already has a lower string than the 6

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #822 on: May 11, 2024, 06:18:03 AM »
I was with a musician at the I&W concert and he immediately noticed the downtuning, but for me it was just the same, A Change of Seasons included.

However, one thing I did notice for the first time, was the click track. Innocence, when it kicked in after the intro, felt so SLOW. Years and years of Mike Portnoy giving all his energy into pumping up the actual beginning of the song ingrained in me a tempo much faster than the studio track, and I definitively noticed it. It felt like it was dragging.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #823 on: May 12, 2024, 10:56:34 AM »
Funny story about the downtuning. I knew they were tuning down after hearing fan recordings of the first show. I was going to the Asbury Park show with my drummer. I told him that they were tuning down and he said “oh I don’t notice things like that, I don’t know enough about music to notice that”. Two notes into Pull Me Under, he turns to me and says “…I notice it”.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #824 on: May 12, 2024, 11:44:08 AM »
yeah just like some songs sounding too fast with MP or too slow with MM, some of the songs really sounded weird with the downtuning

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #825 on: May 12, 2024, 12:13:07 PM »
yeah just like some songs sounding too fast with MP or too slow with MM, some of the songs really sounded weird with the downtuning

The “slowness” of the songs didn’t have anything to do with Mangini though. He had nothing to do with those decisions.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #826 on: May 12, 2024, 03:54:30 PM »
i'm not saying that, just referring to the different eras

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #827 on: May 12, 2024, 03:58:45 PM »
i'm not saying that, just referring to the different eras

Gotcha
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #828 on: May 12, 2024, 05:15:58 PM »
The “slowness” of the songs didn’t have anything to do with Mangini though. He had nothing to do with those decisions.

You never know; do you remember the show Time Warp? It was a Discovery Channel show or something that used high speed cameras to film things and then go into the science behind what was happening. They had Mike Mangini on for one episode once (this was before he was ever in Dream Theater) and they were filming his drumming and explaining how high performance drummers use physics to get the sounds they want, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, what if Mike Mangini, when being recorded with the high-speed cameras, actually got "stuck" in time. Maybe "trapped" is a better word. Where he can only move as fast as you see in the high-speed camera slowdowns. If that happened to him when he was younger, maybe Dream Theater would be understanding and play slowed down for him. Or maybe I'm reading too many Philip K Dick novels.

By the way, here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-xxpkxRRYs
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #829 on: May 12, 2024, 05:43:04 PM »
If Mangini could travel through time, he would have decided to play as sloppy as hell in DT so he wouldn't be accused of being robotic . . .

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: May 13, 2024, 06:20:44 AM »
If Mangini could travel through time, he would have decided to play as sloppy as hell in DT so he wouldn't be accused of being robotic . . .

That misses the point; it's not about "sloppy" even a little bit (at least for me).  Let's not distort the narrative here to where Mike Portnoy is like Lars Ulrich or something.   And it's not just one interpretation of "robotic".  For me, someone that didn't like his work with DT as much as I do Portnoy's, it was about something more intangible.   Granted, I'm not a drummer, but I still can't tap out the intro to "Bird On A Wire" (Neal Morse Band) but that is just PERFECT for that song and it's one of my NMB favorites.   There are plenty of Portnoy parts in DT that are structured, measured, not sloppy... and perfect for the song.  I can count too many times where I'm listening to DT and think "why are those 87 drum hits there?!?"

I've said this before and I"ll say it again, Portnoy has a knack for playing in 47/13 time and making it sound like 4/4, and Mangini has a knack for playing in 4/4 and making it sound like 47/13.   It's all a matter of taste, for sure, but I prefer the former.

None of this is to say that Mangini sucks, or Portnoy is the "better" drummer, or takes anything away from Mangini as a man or a band mate.  From everything I've ever heard, he's an amazing guy.   You can be all those things and still not be right for the situation you're in.  I'm an amazing guy, too, but I'm not a good fit for Primus in any capacity.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #831 on: May 13, 2024, 06:31:54 AM »
That misses the point; it's not about "sloppy" even a little bit (at least for me).  Let's not distort the narrative here to where Mike Portnoy is like Lars Ulrich or something.   And it's not just one interpretation of "robotic".  For me, someone that didn't like his work with DT as much as I do Portnoy's, it was about something more intangible.   Granted, I'm not a drummer, but I still can't tap out the intro to "Bird On A Wire" (Neal Morse Band) but that is just PERFECT for that song and it's one of my NMB favorites.   There are plenty of Portnoy parts in DT that are structured, measured, not sloppy... and perfect for the song.  I can count too many times where I'm listening to DT and think "why are those 87 drum hits there?!?"

I've said this before and I"ll say it again, Portnoy has a knack for playing in 47/13 time and making it sound like 4/4, and Mangini has a knack for playing in 4/4 and making it sound like 47/13.   It's all a matter of taste, for sure, but I prefer the former.

None of this is to say that Mangini sucks, or Portnoy is the "better" drummer, or takes anything away from Mangini as a man or a band mate.  From everything I've ever heard, he's an amazing guy.   You can be all those things and still not be right for the situation you're in.  I'm an amazing guy, too, but I'm not a good fit for Primus in any capacity.

While I agree w your point, I *think* he was joking.  I can never tell with THS808, though

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #832 on: May 13, 2024, 12:10:18 PM »

I think this really minimizes what both drummers are capable of doing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: May 13, 2024, 02:37:56 PM »

I think this really minimizes what both drummers are capable of doing.

Shouldn't; I'm certainly not minimizing their talents. I think both are extremely talented drummers at the top of their game. They're just different games.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #834 on: May 15, 2024, 09:37:39 AM »
I’m sure lots of you have used ChatGPT to try to make a setlist. I was playing with it and here’s one it came up with…

Make one using their most popular songs with a total run time of 2.5 hours

Sure! Here's a setlist featuring Dream Theater's most popular songs, tailored to fit within a 2.5-hour timeframe:

**Set 1:**

1. Pull Me Under
2. Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
3. The Spirit Carries On
4. As I Am
5. Forsaken
6. Panic Attack
7. On the Backs of Angels

**Intermission**

**Set 2:**

1. The Enemy Inside
2. Through Her Eyes
3. In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 1: Prelude / Pt. 2: Resurrection
4. The Dance of Eternity
5. Octavarium

**Encore:**

1. Home
2. The Count of Tuscany

Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: May 15, 2024, 09:43:11 AM »
Other than Octavarium, that setlist is not very interesting to me. Home and The Enemy Inside would be my next most interested songs, the rest... I don't know, I know they are the popular ones, but they've also been the ones played live the most.  I certainly expect a lot of those songs to be played, but a set almost exclusively of the most popular songs is not really fun for me.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #836 on: May 15, 2024, 09:46:37 AM »
Yeah, I asked most popular mostly out of curiosity of what it would do. But also, given that it’s an Anniversary (and a sort of reunion, which is how they’re promoting it) tour that seemed like a reasonable basis.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #837 on: May 15, 2024, 03:29:06 PM »
i only just noticed there's almost no rest for JLB on the upcoming tour...

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #838 on: May 15, 2024, 05:38:45 PM »
Other than Octavarium, that setlist is not very interesting to me. Home and The Enemy Inside would be my next most interested songs, the rest... I don't know, I know they are the popular ones, but they've also been the ones played live the most.  I certainly expect a lot of those songs to be played, but a set almost exclusively of the most popular songs is not really fun for me.

Agreed.  While its a very balanced setlist, absolutely no fireworks or spark to make it especially special.

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #839 on: May 15, 2024, 11:18:33 PM »
i only just noticed there's almost no rest for JLB on the upcoming tour...

I'm no expert on this, but EU has 24 shows with 12 days of rest in total in between. That's quite a lot of days off I'd say.
Sure, sometimes three shows in a row (quite intense), but also sometimes two days of rest in between shows. I think they deliberately give James a bit of a break with this schedule.