Author Topic: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025  (Read 15959 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025
« Reply #490 on: April 13, 2024, 09:51:14 PM »
I just think it comes down to the fact that they can only really call the tour one thing.  It can't be MPs return, 40th anniversary, AND new album tour.  It's just too much. I think 40th anniversary type of titling likely sells more tickets than the others, some of which is that we already know it's MP's return being the main selling point for a lot of people so they don't need to really advertise that part as much.  Also, the new album hasn't been announced officially so they can't tag the tour as the album because they just don't have the title and whatnot ready yet.

The Portnoy Returns Tour is a good a name as any since this is where most of the buzz is coming from.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #491 on: April 13, 2024, 10:16:30 PM »
Would AI really be any worse than the crap Syme was producing before?
YES!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #492 on: April 13, 2024, 10:26:15 PM »
META-opolis Part 3: When Facebook & Instagram Unite

-Marc.

Metropolis Part IIII -Gangster of Beards Trilogy

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #493 on: April 14, 2024, 03:54:21 AM »
Very insightful comments.  But I view both parts through a binary lens, like a yin and yang pairing.  Metropolis 1 is uplifting (with the dances of Death, Deceit, Love in that order), with Part 2 being the opposite (a tragedy) with the dances being the inverse:  love, deceit and death.  So while Scenes is nihilistic, it is also the counter-balance of the love discovered in Part 1.  But when taken together, they represent a larger whole balanced by opposing polarities.

I guess what I'm saying is that Metropolis Part 3 would be a hot mess of a bad idea.
I get you, but it's also true that Met pt.1 is a jumble of lyrics without any distinct characters we relate to and follow and it bugs me that that gets to be the light part of the pairing but the concept album with characters and plot gets to be a tragedy  :lol I don't know, it's a bit un-Dream-Theater-like to end on a low note! So from that standpoint I'd like Met pt.3, as long as it's good.

I also thought in the past that making Met pt.3 would be kind of a cheap-ish move to bring hype, but since they're already bringing hype by bringing MP back into the fold, they can do whatever they like. I don't know if that even makes sense but it's how I feel!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #494 on: April 14, 2024, 05:27:14 AM »
Wow, that's awesome! Meeting the band you love after seeing them live so many times must be a dream come true. Enjoy every second of it!

Thanks mate! I will... and I'm telling it basicly every person I come across, and they all give me that "dude, grow up"-look. Which I would normally total understand, but since it's Dream Theater, there isn't such a thing, as normal.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #495 on: April 14, 2024, 07:48:28 AM »
Thanks mate! I will... and I'm telling it basicly every person I come across, and they all give me that "dude, grow up"-look. Which I would normally total understand, but since it's Dream Theater, there isn't such a thing, as normal.

I know how it is... in my case, the person who said that was my BOSS when I asked him to leave the work early for the DT's Meet and Greet on the 2014 tour!  ;D (he said it with good humor, he was a really nice guy). From the bottom of my heart, I hope this little joy helps you, Wim, through these difficult times as you mourn your mother. :heart
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #496 on: April 14, 2024, 12:13:20 PM »
thank you so much devieira, it really does. My mother gave me the Octavarium vinyl, when she find out Dream Theater was all the music I cared for.

So if they choose to play Octavarium as an encore, that would make the circle round... and this 40-year old child cry like a kid, I pressume.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #497 on: April 15, 2024, 06:36:46 AM »
Are you talking about this:  https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterusa/

Looks more like just a Facebook group than a fan club (and doesn't really appear to be "official").
They are official enough to be bequeathed with backstage passes to give out as prizes at meetups before DT concerts.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #498 on: April 15, 2024, 11:03:07 PM »
I’ve been thinking about what songs they might want to play for this first tour with Portnoy/their “40th anniversary “ tour.

I don’t think them calling it their 40th anniversary tour means it’s a guarantee that they’ll play a song from every album, but I’d say its a strong possibility, and I think it’d be a fun way to start off this next chapter of the band while highlighting all of their eras thus far. If they went the route of a song from every album + 4-5 from DT16, that would obviously put some limitations on the longer songs.

I have to imagine MP would like to do the full 12 Step Suite with the band. It’s not a guarantee, but I’ll be a bit surprised if they never do it. They don’t need that to be the spotlight on this first go around, and I think a great concept for a future tour would be to do the 12SS as a second set of an Evening With show, and then finally play Octavarium as the encore. So with that wishful thinking on my part, I’ve avoided adding any of those 6 songs to a potential set.

I also ignored doing a chronological set. It’s expected, and it can limit what songs you can pick from certain albums for the sake of the flow of the show. With all of that in mind, I came up with the following:

ACT I

1. DT16 Song
2. DT16 Song
3. 6:00 (I know they just played this but I wouldn’t be surprised if MP wants to play one of his most famous intros. If not this song then I’d forsee The Mirror being picked)
4. Blind Faith (I would’ve picked TGP if not this)
5. Sleeping Giant (can be swapped for The Alien)
6. DT16 Song (depending on how long the new songs are. If this didn’t fit, this would be cut)
7. The Gift of Music (I can see Our New World being chosen instead, but this was the lead single and I like it much more than ONW)
8. Constant Motion (another legendary MP drum part during JP’s solo and hasn’t been played worldwide in 14 years)
9. A Rite of Passage (both of the shorter BC&SL songs are some of DT’s weakest. This is the lesser of 2 evils, so to speak)
10. Outcry (Hasn’t been played since the ADToE tour cycle, and would be a fun Mangini era surprise. If not, BAI or OtBoA seem likely)
————————————————————
ACT II

11. As I Am (They seem to like playing this one, and it’s always fun, even if it’s been played a ton. I would prefer Honor Thy Father, but I feel like I remember MP saying something that made it sound like he wouldn’t want to play it anymore based off the subject of the song? If that’s incorrect, then I would choose it over AIA)
12. Panic Attack (Like CM, a great concert song that was only played a handful of times with Mangini during the 2015 festival run. Otherwise it hasn’t been played since
MP left, and that’s a shame.)
13. DT16 Song
14. Peruvian Skies (Been over a decade since it was played for a full tour)
15. The Dance of Eternity (TSCO seems like the obvious choice so I would love a surprise here. I’d imagine there’d be at least one instrumental in the set, and this one would be great to see with MP again)
16. Behind the Veil (Same concept as Panic Attack and CM, except they’ve played this one even less. They could hit the last three notes in TDoE and slide right into the full band intro to this. I’d also welcome the premiere of Surrender to Reason here)
17. S2N (Hoping this debuts soon. If not, I’d expect Barstool Warrior)
18. Only A Matter of Time (My favorite off WDaDU, and I know JP has expressed interest in playing it)
19. DT16 closing track
——————————————————
20. Metropolis (I would prefer this over PMU, but it could go either way. But one of them will absolutely be played)

That clocks in at 115 min before DT16 songs, which I think leaves about 40 min for the new album. Depending on how long the songs are, I would predict 4-5 of them will be played on this tour, with hopefully the others played on the proceeding run. Tried to do an even blend of songs I want to see and songs I actually presume will happen, but doing a highlight of all 16 albums is certainly doable, even with their massive catalog.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #499 on: April 16, 2024, 03:50:49 AM »
I still think they will play either Afterlife or Only A Matter of Time to pay tribute to Charlie.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #500 on: April 16, 2024, 04:08:48 AM »
Saw it on socials and think it's a good idea:

Playing the whole 12SS will involve all the albums from 6 Degrees into Black Clouds. Especially if they are doing a song from each/most albums (my guess is a MMera medley)

Offline gborland

« Reply #501 on: April 16, 2024, 04:22:56 AM »
I would be mega pissed off if they played the 12SS. It's like the same riff repeated over and over again for six five songs. There's no way they're going to devote half of their reunion show to one fricking riff.

(I had to look up how many songs there actually are in the 12SS. To me it's just one long boring mess.)
Graham Borland

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #502 on: April 16, 2024, 04:34:10 AM »
It went a bit overboard I guess.

Imagine if A Mind Beside Itself was spread over three albums - Erotomania in one, Voices in the next, and The Silent Man in the third. Then when played together they would flow in a cohesive way for 20 minutes.

That would be doable, but 55 minutes of almost always heavy and fast music is waaaay overkill. I respect Mike's committment to it, the fact that 12 steps could not be rushed and the fun in trying to fool around with sound editing tools to create a single "song", but it came out such a gargantuan piece that became a very divisive thing among the fanbase.

Also, Mike got to play the whole thing live so he probably won't suggest it for DT.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #503 on: April 16, 2024, 05:53:45 AM »
Imagine if A Mind Beside Itself was spread over three albums - Erotomania in one, Voices in the next, and The Silent Man in the third. Then when played together they would flow in a cohesive way for 20 minutes.

But... they don't even flow in a cohesive way the way they were released on Awake.  :P
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #504 on: April 16, 2024, 05:53:50 AM »
+
Also, Mike got to play the whole thing live so he probably won't suggest it for DT.
Yes. I think he kind of managed to close that chapter by himself and is ready to move on to something else.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #505 on: April 16, 2024, 06:53:04 AM »
But... they don't even flow in a cohesive way the way they were released on Awake.  :P

Why not? Erotomania flows directly into Voices, it's a very coherent segue. The Silent Man is more abrupt but it kinda fits with the last notes of Voices.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline genome

« Reply #506 on: April 16, 2024, 09:11:44 AM »
I think they'll play Breaking All Illusions. I can see Portnoy liking that one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #507 on: April 16, 2024, 09:13:51 AM »
Playing the whole 12SS will involve all the albums from 6 Degrees into Black Clouds. Especially if they are doing a song from each/most albums (my guess is a MMera medley)
You're not wrong, but it would also involve ignoring the best music from most of those albums.  Therefore, personally not a fan.

If they do it, I will watch and enjoy it, but there is definitely material on those albums I would prefer to see to the 12SS stuff.  Also, that's just a lot to take in.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline genome

« Reply #508 on: April 16, 2024, 09:24:08 AM »
Also not sure if Portnoy will do it as he did it with Shattered Fortress. I think there's other ground he will want to cover

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #509 on: April 16, 2024, 12:30:27 PM »
I would be mega pissed off if they played the 12SS.

I would be over the moon surely, it's one of the most unique pieces they ever made. Musical perfection.

(I had to look up how many songs there actually are in the 12SS. To me it's just one long boring mess.)

That's not only hard, that's basicly cruel.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #510 on: April 16, 2024, 12:42:13 PM »
I wouldn't think they would dedicate all that time to just the 12SS. Maybe they'll arrange a small medley of it though, that seems more realistic.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #511 on: April 16, 2024, 12:47:30 PM »
I wouldn't think they would dedicate all that time to just the 12SS. Maybe they'll arrange a small medley of it though, that seems more realistic.

I don't like meddleys at all, BUT this one seems like an excellent idea! Around 20 minutes, maybe?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #512 on: April 16, 2024, 12:55:57 PM »
I don't like meddleys at all, BUT this one seems like an excellent idea! Around 20 minutes, maybe?

I'd be good with 8-12 minutes, but I'm not the biggest fan of the Suite, personally.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #513 on: April 16, 2024, 02:05:09 PM »
Wouldn't an 8-12 minute medley of the 12SS just be The Shattered Fortress? :neverusethis:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #514 on: April 16, 2024, 02:07:27 PM »
Wouldn't an 8-12 minute medley of the 12SS just be The Shattered Fortress? :neverusethis:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #515 on: April 16, 2024, 02:50:59 PM »
I can see them playing one or two of these, but hopefully not the whole thing. It made sense to play it in 2009/10 when they had just finished it, but now? It'd be a waste of set time to do it in full. I don't think Portnoy'd want to do it anyway, since he already played it for a whole tour with his own (cover) band.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: April 16, 2024, 02:58:48 PM »
I'd vote no to the 12SS, I'd also vote no to any of the songs being played except for TGP. TGP is probably my #1 or maybe #2 (8VM) songs that I most want to see from DT and it not being played in such a long time means it should be due.  I do understand JP has stated a reason he doesn't want to play it, but that still remains my want if anything from the 12SS.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #517 on: April 16, 2024, 07:02:52 PM »

Given that they are celebrating their entire career, I sort of hope Mike Mangoni joins them for any Blu-ray they might film on this tour. At least for a single song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #518 on: April 16, 2024, 07:04:21 PM »
Given that they are celebrating their entire career, I sort of hope Mike Mangoni joins them for any Blu-ray they might film on this tour. At least for a single song.

No shot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #519 on: April 16, 2024, 10:30:31 PM »
Another 40th anniversary idea:

1. In the Presence of Enemies
2. Illumination Theory
3. Octavarium
-----------------------------
4. The Count of Tuscany
5. A View From the Top of the World
6. New Epic
7. A Change of Seasons

I'd be satisfied!  :hat
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #520 on: April 17, 2024, 02:11:50 AM »

2. Illumination Theory
3. Octavarium
4. The Count of Tuscany
6. New Epic
7. A Change of Seasons

Interesting idea, and I don't hate it... just not sure if I want to hear AVFtTotW again so soon. How about replacing it with Stream of Consciousness?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Kocak

« Reply #521 on: April 17, 2024, 04:01:19 AM »

2. Illumination Theory
3. Octavarium
4. The Count of Tuscany
6. New Epic
7. A Change of Seasons

I can see the MP Instagram post praising a successful "epic" night.

Online Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #522 on: April 17, 2024, 04:28:49 AM »
Why not? Erotomania flows directly into Voices, it's a very coherent segue. The Silent Man is more abrupt but it kinda fits with the last notes of Voices.

One song ends, the key changes and another song with no connection to the preceding one starts. That's not really very cohesive in my book.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #523 on: April 17, 2024, 04:32:59 AM »
Instagram. Dream Theater USA

Thank you!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #524 on: April 17, 2024, 06:33:26 AM »
Thank you!

You're welcome. :) You should try to attend a preshow if they have one where you see DT. It adds to the excitement of the day.