Poll

Given the pressures of the industry, do you think DT will turn to crowdfunding or kickstarter to pay for the new album?

Yes
4 (9.5%)
No
34 (81%)
It Depends, and I will elaborate further in a reply
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 08, 2024, 02:57:40 PM

Author Topic: Will DT need to crowdfund for the new album?  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
Re: Will DT need to crowdfund for the new album?
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2024, 07:31:11 PM »
What was Great Ape banned for?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2024, 07:43:23 PM »
The Great Ape, who I think was banned as well

Has no one ever noticed this in HoJo's sig?

RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01

I see. I never heard of that member before.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2024, 07:43:51 PM »
You didn't miss anything.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2024, 07:50:09 PM »
Ape straight up admitted to using ChatGPT for his posts. HoJoJoJoJo I think was just legit that weird.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2024, 08:55:22 PM »
Anyone remember chaossytem?

PERHAPS this will jog your MEMORY.

Oh man :rollin
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2024, 11:53:06 PM »
HoJo often made me laugh, including the initial posts of welcoming someone with 50k posts - it was contextual and funny. I liked him. Or the AI. The entity. Whatever he was :biggrin:

But when you get found out deliberately lying about something, as in the first post of this thread, it's time to stop.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2024, 01:45:52 AM »
Since I'm also relatively new I haven't known this forum without HS and he's made me laugh more than the rest of the forum combined. Sure he's silly and goes a bit far maybe but it feels like this place can use the lightheartedness and the discussions it creates. This thread and the one he made about Devin Townsend joining DT are goofy but also they both have 3-4 pages of discussion that I think most people enjoyed.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2024, 02:01:44 AM »
I can't believe we came to the point that record company pays burgers or not for James.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2024, 02:20:58 AM »
Since I'm also relatively new I haven't known this forum without HS and he's made me laugh more than the rest of the forum combined.

Same here :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2024, 04:30:40 AM »
HoJo often made me laugh, including the initial posts of welcoming someone with 50k posts - it was contextual and funny. I liked him. Or the AI. The entity. Whatever he was :biggrin:

But when you get found out deliberately lying about something, as in the first post of this thread, it's time to stop.

Well, IMO it was time to stop when he tried to twist the whole 'Kip Winger died' thing back on me.  He was found out to be deliberately lying there too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2024, 04:38:13 AM »
I love reading through a thread like this and trying to put pieces together. That's just good entertainment.  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2024, 05:18:58 AM »
I must admit I got a chuckle out of a silly rumor of "James LaBeef" eating burgers daily apparently being ban worthy  :lol

I do agree with whoever said HS as a poster is funny and I got multiple chuckles out of some of his posts.

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2024, 05:21:40 AM »
Since I'm also relatively new I haven't known this forum without HS and he's made me laugh more than the rest of the forum combined. Sure he's silly and goes a bit far maybe but it feels like this place can use the lightheartedness and the discussions it creates. This thread and the one he made about Devin Townsend joining DT are goofy but also they both have 3-4 pages of discussion that I think most people enjoyed.

I can't agree more. That thread was honestly the first time I ever really felt like I had fun here (hence, the birth of the "Fun Committee" - RIP to that too, I guess 😪). This place gets oh so serious much of the time and collectively takes itself too damn seriously (there, I said it). We're a goddam band forum, for crying out loud, not MENSA. Who cares if we sometimes have a little fun and blow off steam once in a while? Isn't real life too effing serious these days? Isn't the real world too dark and stressful a place of late?

I also have to say that I don't like the general tone of many of the posts in this thread that stink of ostracism, the cool kids picking on the nerdy one who's not "one of us" just because he likes a good laugh and yet is maybe a little weird and random in the way he goes about it. I am no mod, but is that really worth a ban?! Just because someone is a little different and may not think exactly like all of you? It almost makes me want to stop participating, honestly, if it weren't for the fact that there is also good and worthy conversation here. But I don't want to call myself a member of any group who treats people with intolerance for just being a bit different from the generally accepted norm.

I do hope he has learned where to draw the line and comes back. I didn't know him well or for long but he's one that I was starting to consider as a friend on this forum. If he's reading this and does return, I hope he DM's me to let me know he's back and is alright.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2024, 05:29:17 AM »

Well, IMO it was time to stop when he tried to twist the whole 'Kip Winger died' thing back on me.  He was found out to be deliberately lying there too.

That's a fair point. My tolerance for threads that really are just utter crap is pretty low so I didn't bother reading all the posts.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2024, 06:24:52 AM »
Crystal, come on. He was spamming the forum and making crap up. That does not equate to not tolerating oddballs.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2024, 06:26:23 AM »
I must admit I got a chuckle out of a silly rumor of "James LaBeef" eating burgers daily apparently being ban worthy  :lol

I do agree with whoever said HS as a poster is funny and I got multiple chuckles out of some of his posts.

I thought he was funny too but he's made many silly posts and he's been warned...I think.

I can't agree more. That thread was honestly the first time I ever really felt like I had fun here (hence, the birth of the "Fun Committee" - RIP to that too, I guess 😪). This place gets oh so serious much of the time and collectively takes itself too damn seriously (there, I said it). We're a goddam band forum, for crying out loud, not MENSA. Who cares if we sometimes have a little fun and blow off steam once in a while? Isn't real life too effing serious these days? Isn't the real world too dark and stressful a place of late?

I also have to say that I don't like the general tone of many of the posts in this thread that stink of ostracism, the cool kids picking on the nerdy one who's not "one of us" just because he likes a good laugh and yet is maybe a little weird and random in the way he goes about it. I am no mod, but is that really worth a ban?! Just because someone is a little different and may not think exactly like all of you? It almost makes me want to stop participating, honestly, if it weren't for the fact that there is also good and worthy conversation here. But I don't want to call myself a member of any group who treats people with intolerance for just being a bit different from the generally accepted norm.

I do hope he has learned where to draw the line and comes back. I didn't know him well or for long but he's one that I was starting to consider as a friend on this forum. If he's reading this and does return, I hope he DM's me to let me know he's back and is alright.

The problem is lying and not owning up to it. Makes me wonder if all of his "Hey guys I heard this rumor" were just things he made up. I really hope he didn't make up that thing about having a disability as well.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2024, 06:39:51 AM »
Well whatever happens in this thread, I still want a James plushie ✨✨🤭
Yeah,  you and me both.  I would offer you an action figurrrrrr, but apparently the video no longer exists.   :-[
Wait, what?!?!? This actually once existed?!?!?!! 😱😭
Videos did for several of the band members, created by one of the guys who used to frequent this message board regularly (and may still visit the non-DT parts, I think). Looks like Blob took down most of the videos on his YT channel, but fortunately JR still has his action figurrrr on his YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXFefLdd1HI

The Petrucci video can be viewed here:  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1070790529662954  The * disclaimers are absolutely hilarious.

The JLB video appears to be gone, and I don't think he ever did JM or MP.  I was really looking forward to what he might have done with JM.
It's not the video itself, but it can be seen here at 3:08

https://youtu.be/pDSNyeUsAqM?feature=shared&t=187

I got back to this video every so often for some laughs. I wish they would bring this back during intermission.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2024, 07:50:34 AM »
This place gets oh so serious much of the time and collectively takes itself too damn seriously (there, I said it). We're a goddam band forum, for crying out loud, not MENSA. Who cares if we sometimes have a little fun and blow off steam once in a while? Isn't real life too effing serious these days? Isn't the real world too dark and stressful a place of late?
I've found plenty of humor in other posts and responses in various threads. Perhaps that's because I've been here a long time, know the band's history inside and out, and/or pick up on the humor/sarcasm/inside jokes others post. But I wouldn't call this place "serious" all the time. Besides, there's a difference between making jokes and trolling. HoJo was a troll, pure and simple.

And I expected this from you, and I know you have a good heart and good intentions. But guess what? HoJo played you! If the guy has been trolling this forum with a load of BS posts, don't you think his claims of being different, finding it hard to communicate, blah blah blah aren't also a load of BS?  :justjen  If you don't, might wanna check your BS detector as I think it might be defective.   ;)  Case in point: my dear buddy Max Kuenha made a claim that he has some issues with communicating, etc., but it is quite evident from all his posts if you read them that what he is saying is genuine. From HoJo's track record, it's quite obvious that what he said was anything but truthful including those claims that you bought into.

Crystal, come on. He was spamming the forum and making crap up. That does not equate to not tolerating oddballs.
Amen!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2024, 07:56:28 AM »
This place gets oh so serious much of the time and collectively takes itself too damn seriously (there, I said it). We're a goddam band forum, for crying out loud, not MENSA. Who cares if we sometimes have a little fun and blow off steam once in a while? Isn't real life too effing serious these days? Isn't the real world too dark and stressful a place of late?
THIS place is oh so serious?

Do you check out any other parts of the forum other than the DT subforum?  This place is hilarious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2024, 07:59:16 AM »
Wait, I must be missing something. Why is THS being talked about in the past form and/or waved goodbye?

Despite the way you (collective) feel about his posts, I believe there isn't really any reason for him to leave but his own will.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2024, 08:00:14 AM »
Wait, I must be missing something. Why is THS being talked about in the past form and/or waved goodbye?

Despite the way you (collective) feel about his posts, I believe there isn't really any reason for him to leave but his own will.
He was a troll. Pure and simple.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2024, 08:04:38 AM »

Would that be a reason to be pushed out rather than simply ignored if disliked?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2024, 08:09:51 AM »

I can't speak for Bosk, but given that he was intentionally trying to spread all sorts of misinformation repeatedly even when people called him out on it repeatedly, I would imagine that would be reasons for being expelled. It's one thing to joke or post something that is a bit annoying, but he went way above and beyond that.

Offline gborland

« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2024, 08:12:54 AM »
He posted a photo of a glass of whisky with ice in it. That alone is cause for expulsion.
Graham Borland

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2024, 08:15:25 AM »

I can't speak for Bosk, but given that he was intentionally trying to spread all sorts of misinformation repeatedly even when people called him out on it repeatedly, I would imagine that would be reasons for being expelled. It's one thing to joke or post something that is a bit annoying, but he went way above and beyond that.

Oh, I didn't realise he was expelled by admin. It appears that, in fact, I was missing something.

I was inquiring about this push to send the guy away by regular users that - to my sensibility - reeked a bit of dogpile. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 08:26:00 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2024, 08:26:47 AM »

I totally agree with all of this.
This place has always seemed a little cliquish though.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2024, 08:37:28 AM »
He posted a photo of a glass of whisky with ice in it. That alone is cause for expulsion.
lol no
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2024, 08:39:10 AM »
Hef on the rocks.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2024, 08:40:18 AM »

I'm glad somebody else was offended by that. And not even like, one big cube, but a scoop full.

Disgraceful.

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2024, 08:52:40 AM »
The problem is lying and not owning up to it. Makes me wonder if all of his "Hey guys I heard this rumor" were just things he made up. I really hope he didn't make up that thing about having a disability as well.

That's the point, we don't know, and to accuse someone of "deliberate lying" when he may have been joking - and then wondering whether his disability was also a lie, well, that's the frosting on the cake.

But guess what? HoJo played you!

might wanna check your BS detector as I think it might be defective.

Well of course, I could've predicted that somebody would play this card. But I'm a big girl who doesn't let herself get "played" - please, my eyes are rolling so hard I hope they don't get stuck in the of the top of my head. I may be a person who gives others a chance to be innocent until proven guilty (and not the other way around) but I am not naiive. And no, my "BS detector" isn't broken, because I detect a lot of BS here where it looks all too much like a convenient excuse to exclude someone.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2024, 08:54:01 AM »

Couldn't agree more with that but I think it happens with every forum to a degree.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2024, 08:56:45 AM »

I agree. Not to throw shade on any names in particular I definitely got a vibe from some people that they know better than everyone else and there's sometimes a bit of a bully mentality when someone else has a different view. I feel old at 32 but definitely feel at times some of the older people (not all) have that "I'm older and therefor wiser" holier-than-thou personality. But there's plenty of chill people too and like Nobloodyname just said, it's almost impossible not to have cliques for any forum.

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2024, 08:57:51 AM »

Thank you.

I would think that this group collectively - as we represent the fandom of the greatest band on earth - would want to act a bit less exclusive and a bit more mature.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2024, 08:59:53 AM »

I agree with you 100% that that kind of behavior should not be tolerated here (or anywhere else).  However, that is not even remotely what happened here.  Not by any stretch of the imagination. 

I would think that this group collectively - as we represent the fandom of the greatest band on earth - would want to act a bit less exclusive and a bit more mature.

Oh, heck no!  Exclusivity and immaturity are a hallmark.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2024, 09:05:34 AM »

That's the point, we don't know, and to accuse someone of "deliberate lying" when he may have been joking - and then wondering whether his disability was also a lie, well, that's the frosting on the cake.

Has Sir HoJo ever admitted he just made something up as a joke? Honest question. And by the way, I thought he was funny and I don't want to see him banned whether he's a legit troll or not.