Poll

Given the pressures of the industry, do you think DT will turn to crowdfunding or kickstarter to pay for the new album?

Yes
4 (9.5%)
No
34 (81%)
It Depends, and I will elaborate further in a reply
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 08, 2024, 02:57:40 PM

Author Topic: Will DT need to crowdfund for the new album?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Will DT need to crowdfund for the new album?
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2024, 07:06:52 AM »
When a person has apologized and is starting fresh, isn't it a bit unseemly to dredge up all of their mistakes from the past? The past is a closed door, just leave it closed. However you feel about it, everyone has the right to move beyond their mistakes and start over.

Serious question, perhaps for the mods, but is it against the rules to use AI to post? If do, I think that's pretty close-minded. Of course just using AI to generate noise is not cool. But it could really be useful also, and I don't think you have to think too long about it to think of some of the ways how.
It is not against the rules, because AI wasn't around when the rules were written, and there has been no reason to update the rules that way because (until recently) it hasn't been a thing, really.

What I would say is that if people use AI to make posts on this discussion forum, then we aren't really getting THEM, and so I would frown upon it MOST HIGHLY and not take them seriously as a contributor here, and additionally think less of them as an individual.  That's just me.

Yeah, and as good as AI is getting, it's still not foolproof.  I think we all can sort of guess to a pretty high degree of certainty what posts are "aided" and what posts are "pure".  For someone like me, who considers this a sort of "bar" where we're shooting the shit over a beer, I'm not interested in AI, I'm interested in YOU (the poster). 

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2024, 07:14:19 AM »
Hey all

Just wanted to apologize for this thread. The image of James LaBrie spending his days in the studio eating David Brooks burgers was something that I thought was really amusing personally, and I thought it was funny, but I see now that it wasn't OK to be misleading about what he was doing. I should have either been clearer I was kidding, or not posted this thread to begin with.

I still think it's fun to be silly and occasionally outrageous but there is definitely a time and place for it and I perhaps took it too far in this (and other instances). Sorry about that. Hope you all had a good week!

Could you also apologize for the BS (lying and using Chatgpt) you tried to pull of in the thread I'm linking?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58597.msg3032212#msg3032212

I've already apologized for this thread (and others, and that linked thread would include others, even those that are.... 8 months old - kinda crazy that people can hold grudges against online strangers that long). My early days here were definitely replete with some friction and some trouble fitting in. I'm sorry if my National thread sent you on a course of distress and toil for over half a year. I'd like to think we can all move on, similarly to how I have moved on. As I become a veteran poster of DreamTheaterForums.org I hope people can let go of my troubled beginnings
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2024, 07:15:12 AM »
Welcome back, my friend   :)

Here's to a new (and better) era!  ✨

thank you for the warm welcome back, i really appreciate it :)

You're very welcome!

(Oh and, your inbox is full again ⚠)

gah, gotta vacuum out the shoebox sized inbox we all get again :lol

EDIT: Done!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2024, 07:24:17 AM »
What I would say is that if people use AI to make posts on this discussion forum, then we aren't really getting THEM, and so I would frown upon it MOST HIGHLY and not take them seriously as a contributor here, and additionally think less of them as an individual.  That's just me.

This is fair and that said, maybe it is time for a little update to the rules? As in, use it if you must for correcting typos, grammar (? even this is questionable) or to aid those with challenges such as dyslexia(?), etc, but do not try to pass it off as your own intellectual property. And perhaps add a mandatory disclaimer, for example "this post was aided by AI".

ETA, yes this forum has been around (and has run in the same way) for a very long time, but we are in newer, more inclusive, more technologically complex times.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2024, 07:44:30 AM »

This is fair and that said, maybe it is time for a little update to the rules? As in, use it if you must for correcting typos, grammar (? even this is questionable) or to aid those with challenges such as dyslexia(?), etc, but do not try to pass it off as your own intellectual property. And perhaps add a mandatory disclaimer, for example "this post was aided by AI".
The bolded makes perfect sense to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #180 on: March 15, 2024, 07:47:16 AM »
Hoveringsojo was using AI to whip up some posts? I'm probably out of touch but I'm scratching my head over here. How on earth am I supposed to tell if it's AI? I thought Hojo just goofing around in that thread about The National, not pulling a fast one with some fancy computer magic.

Anyway I'm glad you're back HS, forum wasn't as entertaining whilst you were out - I feel some people take everything a bit too seriously sometimes.

Offline Animal

« Reply #181 on: March 15, 2024, 08:01:45 AM »
Hoveringsojo was using AI to whip up some posts? I'm probably out of touch but I'm scratching my head over here. How on earth am I supposed to tell if it's AI? I thought Hojo just goofing around in that thread about The National, not pulling a fast one with some fancy computer magic.

Anyway I'm glad you're back HS, forum wasn't as entertaining whilst you were out - I feel some people take everything a bit too seriously sometimes.

If you have had some exposure to machine generated or machine translated texts, recognizing AI generated (or heavily aided, beyond just correcting typos) text is about as easy as seeing the grass is green.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #182 on: March 15, 2024, 08:07:47 AM »
Hey all

Just wanted to apologize for this thread. The image of James LaBrie spending his days in the studio eating David Brooks burgers was something that I thought was really amusing personally, and I thought it was funny, but I see now that it wasn't OK to be misleading about what he was doing. I should have either been clearer I was kidding, or not posted this thread to begin with.

I still think it's fun to be silly and occasionally outrageous but there is definitely a time and place for it and I perhaps took it too far in this (and other instances). Sorry about that. Hope you all had a good week!

Could you also apologize for the BS (lying and using Chatgpt) you tried to pull of in the thread I'm linking?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58597.msg3032212#msg3032212

I've already apologized for this thread (and others, and that linked thread would include others, even those that are.... 8 months old - kinda crazy that people can hold grudges against online strangers that long). My early days here were definitely replete with some friction and some trouble fitting in. I'm sorry if my National thread sent you on a course of distress and toil for over half a year. I'd like to think we can all move on, similarly to how I have moved on. As I become a veteran poster of DreamTheaterForums.org I hope people can let go of my troubled beginnings

Yeah passive aggressive sarcasm.  Nice.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 08:24:06 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Animal

« Reply #183 on: March 15, 2024, 08:13:23 AM »
As for using AI to post in a forum, I am with the conservatives. One property of computer generated or aided texts is that they quickly become almost painful to read - and you don't want than in a forum. Even badly written human posts, warts and all, are more enjoyable than a computer generated text that would get you straight A at school. (This is also the reason why machine translation works so well with texts that no one reads for pleasure, i.e. legal texts, manuals etc., and so badly with texts where the opposite is true, say books, movies, games - but also marketing copies.)

Offline Trav86

« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2024, 08:23:06 AM »
I’m impressed that people can just sit around and think of stuff like this. The free time must be wonderful.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2024, 08:24:47 AM »
I’m impressed that people can just sit around and think of stuff like this. The free time must be wonderful.

Showing up to a discussion to make these kind of inferential judgments is not the great look for yourself that you think it is.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2024, 08:38:52 AM »

Not sure what the point is there; I think about this stuff all the time, and it's got nothing to do with "free time".  I drive, I shower, I sometimes play video games... and the mind turns.  It's how I'm wired, and not something to mock.  Fair play, this particular topic also impacts my work (the AI implications for the legal field are vast and largely unresolved).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 08:58:33 AM by Stadler »

« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2024, 08:54:02 AM »
Hey all

i have issues comminicating sometimes, but to be clear, and honest, i would describe the candor of that post less as "passive aggressive" and more "a little befuddled that you demanded an apology for an 8 month old thread after i had already given one"

i have nothing personal against you and i hope we can have some good music/film discussion in other threads sometime soon. have a good day!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2024, 09:11:01 AM »
i have issues comminicating sometimes

A suggestion.  Dip out of this continuing discussion.  It no longer has anything to do with DT.  Maybe ask the mods to close this thread.  Do better going forward.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2024, 09:12:58 AM »
i have nothing personal against you and i hope we can have some good music/film discussion in other threads sometime soon. have a good day!

Those who are themselves dangerously close to treading near the line of "trolling" are not worth dignifying with an answer.

Just turn over a new leaf, and ignore the noise, my friend. My signature quote is for you. ✨

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #190 on: March 15, 2024, 09:21:23 AM »
Maybe ask the mods to close this thread.  Do better going forward.

I agree with that. Continuing this discourse is not at all productive.

Offline HOF

« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2024, 09:47:21 AM »
I hadn't paid any attention to the nonsense in this thread, but it's apparently been quite a ride.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: March 15, 2024, 09:57:22 AM »
I hadn't paid any attention to the nonsense in this thread, but it's apparently been quite a ride.

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry, couldn't resist  :)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #193 on: March 15, 2024, 10:05:43 AM »
Hey all

i have issues comminicating sometimes, but to be clear, and honest, i would describe the candor of that post less as "passive aggressive" and more "a little befuddled that you demanded an apology for an 8 month old thread after i had already given one"

I just want you to admit to lying about recieving an advanced copy of the album, then doubling down on that lie when I called you out on it. (And lying about not using Chatgpt)
Oh and maybe an apology for the shitty PM you then sent me.

Offline HOF

« Reply #194 on: March 15, 2024, 10:17:33 AM »

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry, couldn't resist  :)

:rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #195 on: March 15, 2024, 11:00:27 AM »
Maybe ask the mods to close this thread.  Do better going forward.
Sounds good to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.