Poll

Given the pressures of the industry, do you think DT will turn to crowdfunding or kickstarter to pay for the new album?

Yes
4 (9.5%)
No
34 (81%)
It Depends, and I will elaborate further in a reply
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 08, 2024, 02:57:40 PM

Author Topic: Will DT need to crowdfund for the new album?  (Read 4271 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Will DT need to crowdfund for the new album?
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2024, 08:14:07 AM »
Oh, goody. I'm sure we'd all love to go around the donations hamster wheel again ::)

And eelcome back, HoJo ;D
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2024, 08:19:46 AM »
Hey all

Just wanted to apologize for this thread. The image of James LaBrie spending his days in the studio eating David Brooks burgers was something that I thought was really amusing personally, and I thought it was funny, but I see now that it wasn't OK to be misleading about what he was doing. I should have either been clearer I was kidding, or not posted this thread to begin with.

I still think it's fun to be silly and occasionally outrageous but there is definitely a time and place for it and I perhaps took it too far in this (and other instances). Sorry about that. Hope you all had a good week!

Welcome back, my friend   :)

Here's to a new (and better) era! 🥂 ✨

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2024, 08:25:28 AM »
Oh, goody. I'm sure we'd all love to go around the donations hamster wheel again ::)

thank you!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2024, 08:25:36 AM »

thank you!

Welcome to the forums!
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2024, 08:26:26 AM »
Hey all

Just wanted to apologize for this thread. The image of James LaBrie spending his days in the studio eating David Brooks burgers was something that I thought was really amusing personally, and I thought it was funny, but I see now that it wasn't OK to be misleading about what he was doing. I should have either been clearer I was kidding, or not posted this thread to begin with.

I still think it's fun to be silly and occasionally outrageous but there is definitely a time and place for it and I perhaps took it too far in this (and other instances). Sorry about that. Hope you all had a good week!

thank you for the warm welcome back, i really appreciate it :)
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2024, 09:25:01 AM »
You should at least get some credit for the poll results, which look positively phallic at this juncture.  :)

« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2024, 10:16:15 AM »
:lol
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2024, 10:36:15 AM »
You should at least get some credit for the poll results, which look positively phallic at this juncture.  :)

Christ on a bike... and people point at HoJo for all the ills of the forum today :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2024, 11:36:53 AM »

I'm not sure what you're deal with JLB is, but as a fan of the band (and singer), I'm not feeling your avatar at all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2024, 11:43:38 AM »

I'm not sure what you're deal with JLB is, but as a fan of the band (and singer), I'm not feeling your avatar at all.

Even if I had no idea who JLB was, that avatar would give me nightmares.

« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2024, 11:51:22 AM »

it's a photoshop of Randy from Trailer Park Boys with James "LaBeef" heads :lol
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2024, 11:58:20 AM »
Just another in a growing string of examples of things that may not technically violate forum rules but are extremely poor judgment.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2024, 12:00:48 PM »
i'm happy to update it if you think it violates forum rules. the last thing i want is to be out of compliance.

EDIT: for more context on my choice to update, it was a mixture of self deprecating humor (acknowledging my error in judgement in making this thread) as well as trying to "fit in better" a la this sentiment:

Oh, heck no!  Exclusivity and immaturity are a hallmark.

if this is "too immature" or "not immature enough" i'm happy to try to adjust to this community, but some guidance on this would be extremely helpful! have a great day, boss
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 12:07:35 PM by TheHoveringSojourn808 »
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2024, 12:17:16 PM »
i didn't know what to choose for an avatar, so i chose to google a colour and picked from that.

that should keep things pretty inoffensive i'd think ;)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2024, 12:25:45 PM »
i didn't know what to choose for an avatar, so i chose to google a colour and picked from that.

A dark cloudy rainy day is really offended by your avatar!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2024, 12:31:51 PM »
I fixed your avatar, HoSoJo

Welcome to the forum.

« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2024, 12:32:04 PM »
out of an abundance of caution and while i wait for an official word on James LaBeef avatar policy, I have updated my avatar to reflect my love and passion for Annie Clark
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2024, 12:32:21 PM »
I fixed your avatar, HoSoJo

Welcome to the forum.

ooh, thanks! i will use this one
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2024, 12:36:08 PM »
Has no one ever noticed this in HoJo's sig?

just wanted to reply to this one. i know a lot of people don't believe me, but this isn't really up for debate: i only have one account. you can even check the IP addresses on the boards. I can assure you that I am not the great ape, or any other active account. i don't have either the patience or any reason to manage multiple accounts on here.

i did really like ape's posting style, and thought he was humorous. that's why i have the message in my sig. he was seemingly banned and while i didn't see what happened i wanted to keep their memory alive
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2024, 12:50:14 PM »
Sloth gang rise up

« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2024, 01:02:14 PM »
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2024, 01:53:32 PM »

How about a random animated character whom you think is a bit like you? That's what I did.

ETA She is Aja, an alien from 3Below.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2024, 01:55:50 PM »

How about a random animated character whom you think is a bit like you? That's what I did.

Same, basically

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2024, 01:58:31 PM »

Same, basically

Lol, maybe can start a trend  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2024, 02:47:54 PM »

Same, basically

Yours always reminded me of this college admissions essay from Jamie F. Metzl.  https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/t/lmao-read-these-essays/592163  I first read that in one of those "how to get into college" books back in the '80s.  I'm glad it found its way into various corners of the Internet to be preserved for all time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2024, 05:35:58 PM »
I've been observing lately, and between what happened in the donations thread and this thread a sizable number of you should be ashamed of yourselves. You should be goddamn lucky the forum still exists. I honestly wouldn't blame bosk and the mods one iota if they decided to shut the place down.

I didn't even notice that thread. Must've been the contest part that made me ignore it. I would've gladly donated some cash. Don't need a prize.

I'm all for a little trolling, but some of what I've read over the last few months is next level.
Yup. You guys just aren't used to Gen Z trolling like that - this forum has a cohort of youngish Millennials still but not a lot of us were trolls - so you haven't read through it and trolled him right back, which made it ultimately much less entertaining. If I logged into the DT discord right now I'd probably find him celebrating that he was able to fly under the radar while getting so much engagement for so long :biggrin: Glad that's over!

How does a Gen Z Troll differ from older trolls?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 06:01:27 PM by Herrick »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2024, 05:36:45 PM »
For my avatar I eventually settled on my band’s logo. If anyone is offended by that, I have more questions than they will.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Skeever

« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2024, 08:19:04 PM »

Same, basically

Yours always reminded me of this college admissions essay from Jamie F. Metzl.  https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/t/lmao-read-these-essays/592163  I first read that in one of those "how to get into college" books back in the '80s.  I'm glad it found its way into various corners of the Internet to be preserved for all time.
I've seen that around before. Good one!

And though I know it's tongue and cheek, I feel similarly. I was really into Godzilla as a kid, just thought it was cool. Then later in life I'd catch it and I'd take something different away from it. I can honestly say I think about Godzilla almost every single day, some facet of it. Not all day or anything, but maybe for like 5 minutes here and there. There's a lot that can be read in and the figure of Godzilla is like an enigma to me.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2024, 02:52:50 AM »
Hey all

Could you also apologize for the BS (lying and using Chatgpt) you tried to pull of in the thread I'm linking?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58597.msg3032212#msg3032212
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 03:00:32 AM by soupytwist »

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2024, 04:20:27 AM »

thank you for the warm welcome back, i really appreciate it :)

You're very welcome!

(Oh and, your inbox is full again ⚠)

Offline Animal

« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2024, 04:40:50 AM »
Hey all

Could you also apologize for the BS (lying and using Chatgpt) you tried to pull of in the thread I'm linking?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58597.msg3032212#msg3032212

The smell of AI is strong in that one. And I recall at least one other occasion of HoveringSojourn's post that was clearly written by AI. Havig said that, he definitely writes most of his posts on his own (unlike Great Ape, who used AI both way more often and in a more obvious manner).

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2024, 05:24:39 AM »
When a person has apologized and is starting fresh, isn't it a bit unseemly to dredge up all of their mistakes from the past? The past is a closed door, just leave it closed. However you feel about it, everyone has the right to move beyond their mistakes and start over.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2024, 05:35:59 AM »
When a person has apologized and is starting fresh, isn't it a bit unseemly to dredge up all of their mistakes from the past? The past is a closed door, just leave it closed. However you feel about it, everyone has the right to move beyond their mistakes and start over.

Dude lied, and when called out on it doubled down on the utter crap he (or chatgpt) was spewing out.  That's not a mistake, that's purposely acting like a cock.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2024, 06:24:36 AM »

Serious question, perhaps for the mods, but is it against the rules to use AI to post? If do, I think that's pretty close-minded. Of course just using AI to generate noise is not cool. But it could really be useful also, and I don't think you have to think too long about it to think of some of the ways how.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2024, 06:45:36 AM »

Serious question, perhaps for the mods, but is it against the rules to use AI to post? If do, I think that's pretty close-minded. Of course just using AI to generate noise is not cool. But it could really be useful also, and I don't think you have to think too long about it to think of some of the ways how.
It is not against the rules, because AI wasn't around when the rules were written, and there has been no reason to update the rules that way because (until recently) it hasn't been a thing, really.

What I would say is that if people use AI to make posts on this discussion forum, then we aren't really getting THEM, and so I would frown upon it MOST HIGHLY and not take them seriously as a contributor here, and additionally think less of them as an individual.  That's just me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.