Poll

Given the pressures of the industry, do you think DT will turn to crowdfunding or kickstarter to pay for the new album?

Yes
4 (9.5%)
No
34 (81%)
It Depends, and I will elaborate further in a reply
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 08, 2024, 02:57:40 PM

Author Topic: Will DT need to crowdfund for the new album?  (Read 4288 times)

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
Re: Will DT need to crowdfund for the new album?
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2024, 09:08:28 AM »
Not to throw shade on any names in particular I definitely got a vibe from some people that they know better than everyone else and there's sometimes a bit of a bully mentality when someone else has a different view. I feel old at 32 but definitely feel at times some of the older people (not all) have that "I'm older and therefor wiser" holier-than-thou personality.

Thank you also for voicing this. I have felt this vibe here many many times and honestly it's almost pushed me away.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2024, 09:18:29 AM »
I would think that this group collectively - as we represent the fandom of the greatest band on earth - would want to act a bit less exclusive and a bit more mature.

Oh, heck no!  Exclusivity and immaturity are a hallmark.

**Smiling, nodding** Ok, well... thank you for keeping it light.

And I STILL want a James plushie!  :lol But please throw in a Jordan plushie as well, because it hurts to have your class president run out of town. Who will joke around with me now about LOTR and keyboard wizards in sequinned capes? 😭 I feel bereft. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2024, 09:22:13 AM »
Not to throw shade on any names in particular I definitely got a vibe from some people that they know better than everyone else and there's sometimes a bit of a bully mentality when someone else has a different view. I feel old at 32 but definitely feel at times some of the older people (not all) have that "I'm older and therefor wiser" holier-than-thou personality.

Thank you also for voicing this. I have felt this vibe here many many times and honestly it's almost pushed me away.

I was 30 when I joined and now I am 43. I never felt there was any bullying here. This place is very tame compared to Reddit or cesspools like Twatter & the YouTube comment section.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2024, 09:22:40 AM »
The problem is lying and not owning up to it. Makes me wonder if all of his "Hey guys I heard this rumor" were just things he made up. I really hope he didn't make up that thing about having a disability as well.

That's the point, we don't know, and to accuse someone of "deliberate lying" when he may have been joking - and then wondering whether his disability was also a lie, well, that's the frosting on the cake.

Has Sir HoJo ever admitted he just made something up as a joke? Honest question. And by the way, I thought he was funny and I don't want to see him banned whether he's a legit troll or not.

Did he ever admit to anything? No I don’t think so. But most the lies…er…”Jokes” or whatever that he posted were easily verifiably false.

Look, I think sticking up for the little guy and the underdog is admirable, but HoSoJo was just a troll. Plain and simple. He’s not worth sticking up for.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2024, 09:23:16 AM »
NO CAPES!

But otherwise, I'm happy to oblige. 

And apparently, you can custom make a James plushie if you want here:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/1028559887/pirate-custom-plush-stuffed-with-photo?gpla=1&gao=1&

I'm bummed the JLB action figurrr video no longer exists.  Did you watch the videos for the Jordan and JP ones?

EDIT:  Shut up, Herrick!  The cool older kids are talking!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2024, 09:27:05 AM »
I'll admit I didn't find HoJo's posts productive or possibly even sincere but what does that say that they tended to create the most discussion, even if it was from people mainly complaining about HoJo?

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2024, 09:27:59 AM »
Did he ever admit to anything? No I don’t think so. But most the lies…er…”Jokes” or whatever that he posted were easily verifiably false.

Look, I think sticking up for the little guy and the underdog is admirable, but HoSoJo was just a troll. Plain and simple. He’s not worth sticking up for.

I think as you say "verifiably false" indicates that he knew it was a farce? I've seen trolls before, haven't we all, and typically they don't stick around for that long trying so hard to belong. 😔

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2024, 09:29:38 AM »
NO CAPES!

And apparently, you can custom make a James plushie if you want here:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/1028559887/pirate-custom-plush-stuffed-with-photo?gpla=1&gao=1&

I'm bummed the JLB action figurrr video no longer exists.  Did you watch the videos for the Jordan and JP ones?

I posted in the previous page that while it doesn't exist, it can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDSNyeUsAqM&t=187s
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2024, 09:31:23 AM »
Oh, cool!  I missed that.  :tup

EDIT:  In the entire history of DT, that intermission video montage for that tour was one of the coolest things they have EVER done for the fans.  As much as MP has spearheaded some really amazing things for fans, they really nailed it on that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2024, 09:37:32 AM »
NO CAPES!

😪😪 **Sniffling** Thank you... 

Oh thank you, lol I just may treat myself!  :lol :biggrin:

I haven't yet, it's been hard enough keeping up with this thread amidst the demands of real life. But it's on my to do list as I need this.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2024, 09:42:28 AM »
Well whatever happens in this thread, I still want a James plushie ✨✨🤭
Yeah,  you and me both.  I would offer you an action figurrrrrr, but apparently the video no longer exists.   :-[
Wait, what?!?!? This actually once existed?!?!?!! 😱😭
Videos did for several of the band members, created by one of the guys who used to frequent this message board regularly (and may still visit the non-DT parts, I think). Looks like Blob took down most of the videos on his YT channel, but fortunately JR still has his action figurrrr on his YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXFefLdd1HI

The Petrucci video can be viewed here:  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1070790529662954  The * disclaimers are absolutely hilarious.

The JLB video appears to be gone, and I don't think he ever did JM or MP.  I was really looking forward to what he might have done with JM.
It's not the video itself, but it can be seen here at 3:08

https://youtu.be/pDSNyeUsAqM?feature=shared&t=187

I got back to this video every so often for some laughs. I wish they would bring this back during intermission.

Action figure may or may not hit F#.   :lol :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Skeever

« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2024, 09:50:36 AM »

I was 30 when I joined and now I am 43. I never felt there was any bullying here. This place is very tame compared to Reddit or cesspools like Twatter & the YouTube comment section.

Trust me, I agree. Although I'm not the most active I've been here for quite a while myself. It's definitely a good place. But I've seen this happen from time to time, you've got a bunch of long timers with their own set of in jokes and things like that, then a new person comes and with some silliness and a bunch of the Old Guard don't like feeling out of the loop.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2024, 09:52:24 AM »
NO CAPES!

You big bully *rubs tear from eye, shakes first, runs away*

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2024, 09:53:57 AM »

Trust me, I agree. Although I'm not the most active I've been here for quite a while myself. It's definitely a good place. But I've seen this happen from time to time, you've got a bunch of long timers with their own set of in jokes and things like that, then a new person comes and with some silliness and a bunch of the Old Guard don't like feeling out of the loop.

I've been here since 2011 but I'm not in on a lot of the in-jokes. I don't mind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2024, 09:54:44 AM »

I've been here since 2011 but I'm not in on a lot of the in-jokes. I don't mind.
Happy Vlasto Day, my friend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2024, 09:55:59 AM »

Happy Vlasto Day, my friend.

Why thank you, Eddie  :)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2024, 09:57:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gborland

« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2024, 11:30:49 AM »
I consider myself both an old-timer and a newbie here. I've been around forever, but have not really participated much over the last 13 years. I just wasn't feeling much DT excitement during that time period. So I feel as if I have a lot of catching up to do.  :)
Graham Borland

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2024, 11:32:35 AM »
Now we just gotta get gazinwales active again so that we can have competing Graham B's to create confusion, just like in the old YML days!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2024, 11:59:29 AM »
Now we just gotta get gazinwales active again so that we can have competing Graham B's to create confusion, just like in the old YML days!   :biggrin:
Gazin randomly posted a few weeks (months?) ago and then disappeared again.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2024, 12:02:03 PM »
Responding to the original post.

No. And not sure why anyone would think that.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2024, 11:09:16 AM »
I'll admit I didn't find HoJo's posts productive or possibly even sincere but what does that say that they tended to create the most discussion, even if it was from people mainly complaining about HoJo?

In truth. It's so quiet here today. 😞

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2024, 11:12:42 AM »

To be fair, there are a lot more areas of this forum than just the DT subforum. This place tends to get quiet now and again, but lots of other places to check out that are always busy. If you like calling people deplorable, you can join the PR subforum too!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2024, 11:36:02 AM »

Friday is the least busy weekday, especially for the DT side.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2024, 11:42:30 AM »

To be fair, there are a lot more areas of this forum than just the DT subforum. This place tends to get quiet now and again, but lots of other places to check out that are always busy. If you like calling people deplorable, you can join the PR subforum too!

I had no idea that was a thing! 🤯

Friday is the least busy weekday, especially for the DT side.

Got it. I've lurked occasionally in the General and Music sections but have seldom had much to bring to the table.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2024, 12:00:00 PM »

Yeah, the busiest area is the General Music Discussion subforum, by far.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2024, 12:03:09 PM »
I'm all for a little trolling, but some of what I've read over the last few months is next level.
Yup. You guys just aren't used to Gen Z trolling like that - this forum has a cohort of youngish Millennials still but not a lot of us were trolls - so you haven't read through it and trolled him right back, which made it ultimately much less entertaining. If I logged into the DT discord right now I'd probably find him celebrating that he was able to fly under the radar while getting so much engagement for so long :biggrin: Glad that's over!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Skeever

« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2024, 12:50:57 PM »

I was about to say, who could resist mucking it in the trenches of PR, or checking out extremely interesting ranking thread or song roulette.....

Right.....?

RIGHT......????!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2024, 02:57:43 PM »

I was about to say, who could resist mucking it in the trenches of PR, or checking out extremely interesting ranking thread or song roulette.....

Right.....?

RIGHT......????!
I know you're being facetious, but the majority of other people around here have interests outside of just Dream Theater.  ::)
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2024, 06:12:10 PM »

In truth. It's so quiet here today.

Right.....?

RIGHT......????!

You know, I've spent the last two nights crying myself to sleep because you didn't sign up to my roulette.  :'(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2024, 06:37:29 PM »
Homering Sojohn brought some silliness that I sometimes miss about this place,d

Offline Skeever

« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2024, 07:00:30 PM »

In truth. It's so quiet here today.

Right.....?

RIGHT......????!

You know, I've spent the last two nights crying myself to sleep because you didn't sign up to my roulette.  :'(

I believe it.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2024, 07:21:33 AM »
Hey all

Just wanted to apologize for this thread. The image of James LaBrie spending his days in the studio eating David Brooks burgers was something that I thought was really amusing personally, and I thought it was funny, but I see now that it wasn't OK to be misleading about what he was doing. I should have either been clearer I was kidding, or not posted this thread to begin with.

I still think it's fun to be silly and occasionally outrageous but there is definitely a time and place for it and I perhaps took it too far in this (and other instances). Sorry about that. Hope you all had a good week!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2024, 07:34:44 AM »
I've been observing lately, and between what happened in the donations thread and this thread a sizable number of you should be ashamed of yourselves. You should be goddamn lucky the forum still exists. I honestly wouldn't blame bosk and the mods one iota if they decided to shut the place down.