Poll

Given the pressures of the industry, do you think DT will turn to crowdfunding or kickstarter to pay for the new album?

Yes
4 (9.5%)
No
34 (81%)
It Depends, and I will elaborate further in a reply
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 08, 2024, 02:57:40 PM

Author Topic: Will DT need to crowdfund for the new album?  (Read 4291 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Will DT need to crowdfund for the new album?
« on: March 05, 2024, 02:57:40 PM »
We've all seen the photos in the studio. We're all thrilled the boys are back (in town, or more accurately, in studio). But has anyone else been thinking of the enormous financial cost of all of this? Their meal tabs alone must be skyrocketing to fund all the good ideas and creative juices. I was thinking about the enormous cost of James sandwiches the other day after his post on Bluesky and started wondering about this. Especially given they are all eating together in the studio. What if the budget runs out and the label says "No more!"? Are there any odds that DT would crowdfund the album to push it over the finish line?

What if the label isn't happy with the album and drops them before the release? Do you guys think in a situation like that where the proverbial poop hits the bucket and DT is left with nothing but a raw deal they would ever turn to us, the fans, to fund their new record?

I think it would be a cool idea, if it came down to it, and I would certainly consider relinquishing some benjamins for the cause. Some interesting merch and backer ideas have popped up over the years and there's so many cool things they could do, ranging from plush toys to limited edition t shirts or fedoras with the majesty logo on them. What do y'all think?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Will DT need to crowdfund for the new album?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 03:03:53 PM »
There is no reason to believe that DT would ever need to crowd fund an album. Least of all probably, this one they are working on.

In no scenario would their label drop them.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 03:04:38 PM »
I think the answer to all your questions is "no."  I haven't seen the books, but I get the impression that the DT organization as a whole is doing fine.  And, coupled with that, I don't think they function under the old model of getting an advance from the label to do albums.  I believe they likely finance that themselves, and their company's financial health (and having their own studio) enable that to happen fairly comfortably.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 03:26:42 PM »
Save your benjamins for the Super Deluxe box set that is bound to happen

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 03:30:40 PM »
And you wonder why you get so much crap in response to your posts....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 04:22:36 PM »
I mean they don't need to crowdfund to market the album, but I'm sure there's going to be stuff like vinyl bundles, t-shirt bundles, other stuff that they would probably have on sale on their website store or their label's store website.  That's been the trends bands have been doing.  If you pay a certain amount, you also get this x, y, and z that comes with the CD.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 05:14:56 PM »
And you wonder why you get so much crap in response to your posts....

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 07:26:11 PM »
I was thinking about the enormous cost of James sandwiches the other day after his post on Bluesky and started wondering about this.

How much?

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 08:02:09 PM »
I was thinking about the enormous cost of James sandwiches the other day after his post on Bluesky and started wondering about this.

How much?

i'm not entirely sure but this is one of the pictures. seems like he goes out for a meal like this every day

Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 08:11:39 PM »
Do you guys ever miss Kotowboy?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 08:13:48 PM »
Wait. I hate to seriously contribute to a spam thread but... is James in the studio with them?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 08:33:30 PM »

How much?

i'm not entirely sure but this is one of the pictures. seems like he goes out for a meal like this every day

I see. So these meals are provided by the record label?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 08:46:42 PM »
I think the answer to all your questions is "no."

Wait. I hate to seriously contribute to a spam thread but... is James in the studio with them?
:tup
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 08:57:20 PM »

How much?

well, no, they don't cook the meals for james personally, but while they are living large in the studio i'm sure they foot the bill for all the door dash JLB is ringing up!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 09:01:42 PM »
plush toys

Why, oh why did this make me think of those crochet plush dolls of characters that you can find on Etsy, and custom Funko Pops?! WHY do I have this adorable little image in my head now of a tiny James plushie?!?!? I NEED THIS!!!! 😭

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2024, 10:51:12 PM »

How much?

well, no, they don't cook the meals for james personally, but while they are living large in the studio i'm sure they foot the bill for all the door dash JLB is ringing up!

That picture doesn't look like it was in a studio so Door Dash wasn't used. Why are you sure the food bills are paid by the record label?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2024, 10:55:44 PM »
I think the amount of money I've spent alone on the band has paid for a quarter year of one of their kid's college tuition and there are thousands more like me so no, I think they're doing well financially

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2024, 07:55:55 AM »

How much?

That picture doesn't look like it was in a studio so Door Dash wasn't used. Why are you sure the food bills are paid by the record label?

good point, maybe it's a nearby restaurant or something. either way it's still a lotta $$$$

and i'm not sure but it just seems like that would be the case, i'm open to the possibility that i'm wrong
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2024, 08:00:32 AM »
Will DT need to crowdfund for the new album?
No.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2024, 08:03:12 AM »
1.  From my own personal experience, I don't think a burger and fries costs that much money.  And there's nothing about that picture that makes me think that particular burger is an exception.
2.  I have no idea why you think the record label is paying for James' burger.  That is a really silly assumption.

So, basically, everything you have said in this thread is wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2024, 10:25:48 AM »

How much?

good point, maybe it's a nearby restaurant or something. either way it's still a lotta $$$$

JFC...that's maybe a $10 burger and fries, and I'm assuming you're just making things up about how album production is financed.  I also doubt you have inside info about what JLB eats every day (for all I know, the picture is just something you came up with from a Google image search).

This guy makes me miss WildRanger.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Skeever

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2024, 11:31:59 AM »
Not defending the thread, but that meal would definitely cost something like $35 where I live. A burger as usually like $15 bucks, fries are not always included and would probably be another seven, and a glass of decent whiskey would probably cost like $11 bucks.

I'm not on Blue Sky because bluebirds don't tell me what to do (or butterflies for that matter) so I don't know anything about it, but I really do hope it's not true that James is eating that way. I'm in my 30s and just looking at that picture makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2024, 12:18:45 PM »
I think if you went to a diner or a hole in the wall kind of burger place you could get all that for under $15 even in a big city. The whiskey would probably be the most expensive part.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2024, 01:38:54 PM »
Why does everyone assume that's whiskey or some other form of alcohol? Can't think that would be the best choice for JL even if he's not singing that day. I'd imagine he'd want to have a clear head while in the studio. Couldn't that be iced tea, assuming this is actually not just some random image that HoJo decided to post?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2024, 01:45:09 PM »
Why does everyone assume that's whiskey or some other form of alcohol? Can't think that would be the best choice for JL even if he's not singing that day. I'd imagine he'd want to have a clear head while in the studio. Couldn't that be iced tea, assuming this is actually not just some random image that HoJo decided to post?

I was going to ask a similar question, but just decided to drop it, so I'm glad you did.  I mean, even if it was, I would have less of an issue with him having a glass when he probably won't be singing for quite a while--and from everything James has said, he's pretty responsible about taking care of his voice when he needs to sing.  But I'm not even sure that's what it is.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2024, 01:47:09 PM »

I'm on Bluesky but can't find James. You got a link to his profile, please?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2024, 01:53:19 PM »
What is Bluesky anyway?

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2024, 01:54:56 PM »
Basically Twitter without Musk.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2024, 01:57:46 PM »
What is Bluesky anyway?
A Twitter alternative that was started after Elon bought Twitter.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ne9149

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2024, 02:15:44 PM »
That's a random picture of someone's food from Newark Airport.
Here is the link:
https://twitter.com/nytdavidbrooks/status/1704668479259820413

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2024, 02:22:12 PM »
That's a random picture of someone's food from Newark Airport.
Here is the link:
https://twitter.com/nytdavidbrooks/status/1704668479259820413
:clap:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2024, 02:25:01 PM »
And there you go.

Can't believe no-one thought to ask for the Bluesky link as evidence :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2024, 02:26:24 PM »
:bringmethehammer:

Offline Skeever

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2024, 02:26:43 PM »
Is there some other brown liquid that people drink in 2 OZ portions from tumblers full of ice? Yeah I guess it could be iced tea or apple juice but the idea of somebody drinking it like that is pretty funny to me!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2024, 02:26:49 PM »
Well whatever happens in this thread, I still want a James plushie ✨✨🤭