Author Topic: If YOU were writing the set list for the next DT tour...  (Read 17298 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: If YOU were writing the set list for the next DT tour...
« Reply #350 on: May 16, 2024, 11:22:41 AM »
From another thread:

I just came across the band's latest video update on Facebook.  And, I could NOT be any happier with the news of Mike being back in charge of the setlists.  This was one of the biggest questions I had about his return.  Would he take over that responsibility again or would we continue with the mainly static setlists?  I'm dying to see what he comes up with to celebrate their 40th anniversary.  Which Mangini songs will he include?  The US leg of this tour cannot come soon enough!!!   :metal :metal :metal

I'm glad this info is out there now.  I was aware of this through private channels, and it was sort of awkward having to tiptoe around this issue in connection with setlist discussions and some questions that have been asked that I could not really answer without implying that I knew this.

So, how that relates to this thread is:  I have done these sorts of polls in the past, as some of you know, and I have shared that info with the band.  Just after I started this thread, I was informed that Mike is going to be doing the set lists again.  So, because of the somewhat delicate relationship between this forum and Mike, I am holding off on passing the list along to them until I can talk to Mike personally, which will likely not be until sometime during the tour.  So, as has been true in the past, the band will see this list.  But not as early as I originally planned.  But regardless of whether this list can be taken into account on the first legs of the tour, I can almost guarantee that Mike will not forget about it.  And as much as he loves the fans and tries to be in tune with what he thinks the fans want, I would be very surprised if he did not make a conscious effort to include things from it in the future.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #351 on: May 16, 2024, 01:04:18 PM »
1) The Glass Prison.
2) The Root of all Evil.
3) Breaking all Illusions.
4) Goodnight Kiss.
5) Metropolis pt.1
6) New Millenium.
7) Nightmare to Remember.
8) Sleeping Giant.
9) Scarred.
10) The Dark Eternal Night.

Encore: Home/Dance of Eternity.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #352 on: May 16, 2024, 01:05:26 PM »

8) Sleeping Giant.
9) Scarred.
10) The Dark Eternal Night.

I like how this ends!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #353 on: May 16, 2024, 01:07:29 PM »
^ I can dream...  :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #354 on: May 16, 2024, 01:42:17 PM »
Edit number two....fine, I ranked them.
1. You Not Me (seriously)

2. Light Fuse and Get Away

3. Take Away My Pain (album version, not Kenny G version)

4. Raw Dog (seriously)

5.Misunderstood

6.Disappear

7.This Is The Life

8.S2N

9.Out of Reach

And hell, I don't even like the song (and I don't hate it) but just play

10. Surrender to Reason

Edit: autocorrect doesn't like me saying hell but to hell with it

NICE! Fuse is my favorite DT song, always was but I doubt they would do it hence why its not on my list sadly.

Offline Xaves

« Reply #355 on: May 21, 2024, 12:34:34 PM »
Here is the songs I want

1. Take The Time (one of my faves on Images)
2. 6:00 (Favorite on Awake)
3.Fatal Tragedy
4. The Glass Prison or Six Degrees
5. As I Am
6. The Root Of All Evil
7.The Dark Eternal Night
8. A Nightmare To Remember
9. On The Backs Of Angels (Good Mangini era song)
10. Metropolis Pt 1

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #356 on: May 22, 2024, 07:04:18 AM »
All I know is that I would love to see them open with Dystopian Overture from TA.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #357 on: May 28, 2024, 05:04:23 PM »
1. The Glass Prison - As others have said this song is hard as shit, but I've never seen it and it would kill
2. To Live Forever (with jam section) - Always loved this song, don't think it's been played in almost 20 years?
3. The Great Debate - Badass song
4. Only A Matter Of Time - For Charlie :metal
5. Scarred - One of my favorites, and kills live
6. Lines in the Sand - This song is so damn good, also kills live
7. Panic Attack - Badass song, and also surprisingly popular for the band, at least based on Spotify rankings (I think due to Rock Band?)
8. Wait For Sleep/Learning to Live - I've only ever seen LtL as part of medleys, and would really love to see the whole thing
9. A Change of Seasons - I've only ever seen sections of it in medleys, and would love to see the whole thing return
10. Mike Thinks He's Dee Dee Ramone Introducing a Song Song - No explanation needed

Offline Glasser

« Reply #358 on: May 28, 2024, 05:20:14 PM »
1. The Glass Prison - As others have said this song is hard as shit, but I've never seen it and it would kill
2. To Live Forever (with jam section) - Always loved this song, don't think it's been played in almost 20 years?
7. Panic Attack - Badass song, and also surprisingly popular for the band, at least based on Spotify rankings (I think due to Rock Band?)
8. Wait For Sleep/Learning to Live - I've only ever seen LtL as part of medleys, and would really love to see the whole thing
9. A Change of Seasons - I've only ever seen sections of it in medleys, and would love to see the whole thing return
10. Mike Thinks He's Dee Dee Ramone Introducing a Song Song - No explanation needed

Love that list man! I'm sure something will be played to honor Charlie and I'm hoping for Light Fuse and Get Away but would it be too much if they played Afterlife? That would be great too.  :heart

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #359 on: May 28, 2024, 05:24:05 PM »

So nothing from the Mangini Era?  ???
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #360 on: May 28, 2024, 06:02:12 PM »

True, I guess I'm kind of Mangini-ed out :lol But If I had to pick some Mangini tunes:

1. S2N - Portnoy could do some really cool stuff with this I think
2. Room 137 - Same as above
3. A Life Left Behind - Probably my favorite of The Astonishing, though the ending is a little too story driven to be a good standalone song, maybe
4. Dystopian Overture - I really love this as a standalone instrumental, but again, might be too triggering for some people :lol
5. The Enemy Inside - I think my favorite single from Mangini era
6. Breaking All Illusions - Just a killer song

Offline Glasser

« Reply #361 on: May 29, 2024, 05:21:12 PM »

Who is this....Mangini? :neverusethis:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #362 on: May 30, 2024, 08:00:17 AM »

Bummer you missed ACOS, they played it every show on the I&W 25th anniversary tour.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #363 on: May 30, 2024, 10:36:13 AM »
Bummer you missed ACOS, they played it every show on the I&W 25th anniversary tour.

Man, don't even remind me :lol They come to Minneapolis EVERY tour, but not that one, and at the time I couldn't justify traveling. Trying to make up for it this time by going to the London show

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #364 on: May 30, 2024, 11:51:29 AM »

They played TLF on the I&W 25th anniversary tour.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #365 on: May 30, 2024, 12:00:41 PM »
They played TLF on the I&W 25th anniversary tour.
But only for the final leg of the tour, and even then, it got dropped.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #366 on: May 31, 2024, 02:27:01 AM »
Was thinking of the possibility of them playing 2 songs from the Mangini Era, which for some may sound impossible, but I think it could happen. I believe MP would choose songs maybe with a 1 album distance so they could encompass more. What would be some of your choices? Here are mine:

Breaking All Illusions and The Gift of Music
The Enemy Inside and Barstool Warrior
Surrender to Reason and Awaken The Master
On The Back of Angels and Untethered Angel
Lost Not Forgotten and Our New World

I don't know, don't feel strongly confident about some of them, but they pair nicely in my head. LNF and ATM are songs that just feel like MP would enjoy playing, like cool drumming challenges, and if they have the new single from DT16 out and it's with the 8-string, who knows, more chance for ATM.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #367 on: May 31, 2024, 03:23:02 PM »
I think Breaking All Illusions is the Mangini era song to be played and maybe one or two more, if they are on the short side.
My bet is the set list will be 30 minutes of new material, 20 minutes from Mangini era and 1:50 to 2 hours from the classic era (15 minutes of intermission). And 20 to 30 minutes of rotating material.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline DTA

« Reply #368 on: June 01, 2024, 05:38:11 AM »
Was thinking of the possibility of them playing 2 songs from the Mangini Era, which for some may sound impossible, but I think it could happen. I believe MP would choose songs maybe with a 1 album distance so they could encompass more. What would be some of your choices? Here are mine:

Breaking All Illusions and The Gift of Music
The Enemy Inside and Barstool Warrior
Surrender to Reason and Awaken The Master
On The Back of Angels and Untethered Angel
Lost Not Forgotten and Our New World

I don't know, don't feel strongly confident about some of them, but they pair nicely in my head. LNF and ATM are songs that just feel like MP would enjoy playing, like cool drumming challenges, and if they have the new single from DT16 out and it's with the 8-string, who knows, more chance for ATM.

I'm hoping that MP looks at the setlists and songs not played from the Mangini era and throws them in for the completionists - I could definitely see Surrender to Reason, S2N, Out Of Reach, or Transcending Time being played along with maybe On The Backs of Angels or The Alien as a more "popular" track. Lost Not Forgotten seems a bit too technical for MP to choose, as I don't think he's the type to rehearse too much before a tour on his own learning songs from other drummers.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #369 on: June 01, 2024, 10:18:46 AM »
My (likely not popular) Set List :-)

taking into account current vocal limitations

1. I walk beside you
2. As I am
3. 6:00
4. Overture 1928
5. Strange Deja Vu
6. Wait For Sleep
7. Burning My Soul
8. Constant Motion
9. This is The Life
10. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
11. Pull Me Under

Encore
12. The Root Of All Evil
13. Ytse Jam
14. Enemy Inside
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #370 on: June 01, 2024, 07:44:45 PM »
But only for the final leg of the tour, and even then, it got dropped.

I’m glad I got to see it. It’s such an underrated gem.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: June 05, 2024, 09:17:24 AM »
I've been thinking this for a few weeks now and wanted to share it... I think DT should do a Mangini-era medley on the upcoming tour featuring the lead singles (aka the opening tracks) from the five albums he played on: "On The Backs of Angels," "The Enemy Inside," "The Gift of Music," "Untethered Angel" and "The Alien."  They can call it "The Mangini Medley." 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Glasser

« Reply #372 on: June 05, 2024, 09:20:12 AM »
I've been thinking this for a few weeks now and wanted to share it... I think DT should do a Mangini-era medley on the upcoming tour featuring the lead singles (aka the opening tracks) from the five albums he played on: "On The Backs of Angels," "The Enemy Inside," "The Gift of Music," "Untethered Angel" and "The Alien."  They can call it "The Mangini Medley."

Interesting. I do like The Gift Of Music a lot. The Mangini Mash Up?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #373 on: June 05, 2024, 09:20:54 AM »

Wow, what a patronizing and marginalizing way of treating the Mangini Era. That would seriously piss me off as a Dream Theater fan.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #374 on: June 05, 2024, 09:23:52 AM »
They should treat the albums just like the rest of their discography. I know some of that era is polarizing, but I would say fan response to those five albums was mostly positive. I don't see why they can't continue to include a few songs from that era in the setlists, it's not like they were digging that deep into those albums before Portnoy came back anyway.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Glasser

« Reply #375 on: June 05, 2024, 09:26:19 AM »
Wow, what a patronizing and marginalizing way of treating the Mangini Era. That would seriously piss me off as a Dream Theater fan.

Its not gonna happen. A lot of DT's best stuff is with Mangini.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #376 on: June 05, 2024, 09:34:30 AM »
They should treat the albums just like the rest of their discography. I know some of that era is polarizing, but I would say fan response to those five albums was mostly positive. I don't see why they can't continue to include a few songs from that era in the setlists, it's not like they were digging that deep into those albums before Portnoy came back anyway.

This is how I feel. They're literally albums 11-15 of the band's storied history. I don't understand the need to group them together as something different just because of the drummer. Albums 1-4 aren't a different band just because they're not the current lineup. The same goes with the last five. Not to mention naming a medley after a former member is weird and tacky (and as mentioned, patronizing and marginalizing). It would be like if they did a medley of Learning to Live, Scarred, and Only a Matter of Time and called it "The Moore Medley."
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #377 on: June 05, 2024, 09:40:37 AM »
It would be like if they did a medley of Learning to Live, Scarred, and Only a Matter of Time and called it "The Moore Medley."

Pretty sure Mebert would be all for a Moore Medley. :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #378 on: June 05, 2024, 09:43:12 AM »
Pretty sure Mebert would be all for a Moore Medley. :lol

Haha, well sure! Any medley of DT songs wouldn't be that bad.

But, yeah, let's just play songs in full please! :metal
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #379 on: June 05, 2024, 09:47:33 AM »
What if the next tour was a 2 hour medley?  :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #380 on: June 05, 2024, 09:51:30 AM »
Also, they are clearly never going to do another medley. That is no longer something JP has to compromise on since he gets the final say.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #381 on: June 05, 2024, 10:16:53 AM »
I think if they ever played a new medley, it'd be an Astonishing medley, and even that'd be a long shot. But with Mike in charge of the setlists again, you never know :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: June 05, 2024, 10:39:43 AM »

. . . combining snippets of every DT song ever recorded.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #383 on: June 05, 2024, 12:05:53 PM »
I agree completely. I certainly don't expect stuff from those 5 albums to ever take up even a 1/3 of a setlist, but having 2 or 3 tracks per show - especially on this tour - is not an unreasonable request, and I'm of the mind that this will happen. I don't think that MP is that unreasonable to push 1/3 of their catalog to the side just because he wasn't involved with those albums and even if he did, I'd imagine JP and perhaps the others would request that he did.

Actually I would love to see them do a sort of Beatles/Cirque du Soleil Love thing for a set. It would actually be perfect for an anniversary tour if they weren't also going to be touring in support of a new album, although I would see that being kinda like a concept album of sorts performed during the second set.

Also, they are clearly never going to do another medley. That is no longer something JP has to compromise on since he gets the final say.
Maybe, maybe not. Especially if MP intends to include something from every album at every show besides a healthy amount of the new album, a medley might be a good way to make that happen. I could see MP reasoning with him on that.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #384 on: June 05, 2024, 12:42:40 PM »
It would be great if they could work The Ones Who Help To Set the Sun into the setlist as a Charlie dedication song.  Such an underplayed gem.