Author Topic: If YOU were writing the set list for the next DT tour...  (Read 10471 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: If YOU were writing the set list for the next DT tour...
« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2024, 04:27:41 AM »
I listened to the self-titled on my bike ride this morning. The processing on James's voice and the awful sound of the drums just kill the album for me. The faith stuff doesn't help on top of that, either. And, broadly speaking, I agree the songs "just weren't there".

Faith stuff? Do you have an example? Mostly it’s just positive more than anything. I understand that it wouldn’t appeal to necro nihilists but you’re not one of those I don’t think.

Along For The Ride is pretty religious IMO.

Yes, I agree. There are all sorts of faith-related bits and pieces throughout the album. I'll need to go through it again.

In the meantime I'd better look up the meaning of "necro nihilist"!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: March 24, 2024, 04:45:37 AM »
What if the very first song in the setlist was--

Pull Me Under (the demo version)

DT returns to this seminal track, but with the original Erotomania section in tact.  This version has never been played live before.  It would be a mighty surprise and "I'm back" statement from MP to have the most obscure version of their most famous song open the show.  How Prog is that?

How have I never known this??? I'll have to look up the demo...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #212 on: March 24, 2024, 05:46:27 AM »

DT returns to this seminal track, but with the original Erotomania section in tact.  This version has never been played live before.  It would be a mighty surprise and "I'm back" statement from MP to have the most obscure version of their most famous song open the show.  How Prog is that?

Erotomania does not belong in Pull Me Under just like Hell's Kitchen does not belong in Burning My Soul.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2024, 07:10:09 AM »

How have I never known this??? I'll have to look up the demo...

https://youtu.be/YgbJ_v18t4Q?si=UT4bII4sbbf0VO_d

Erotomania does not belong in Pull Me Under just like Hell's Kitchen does not belong in Burning My Soul.

That's correct :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2024, 12:33:17 PM »
Love ya Gabe but nope, you're wrong!   :biggrin:

Don't forget that originally BMS had a mellow beginning to open the song that mirrored the mellow instrumental section that later was turned into HK - similar to how Home has a mellow intro that is later mirrored during the notorious soundbits section before the keyboard solo. So it wasn't as if that instrumental section appeared completely out of the blue.

Needless to say, I prefer the BMS '96 over the album version. It helps that this was the first version of the song I heard from listening to Ff96 boots repeatedly while waiting for them to record and release FII. That all said, I love the anthemic ending of HK, which would never have been created had it not been separated into a different song, so it's a good concession.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2024, 07:38:49 PM »
Love ya Gabe but nope, you're wrong!   :biggrin:

Don't forget that originally BMS had a mellow beginning to open the song that mirrored the mellow instrumental section that later was turned into HK - similar to how Home has a mellow intro that is later mirrored during the notorious soundbits section before the keyboard solo. So it wasn't as if that instrumental section appeared completely out of the blue.

Needless to say, I prefer the BMS '96 over the album version. It helps that this was the first version of the song I heard from listening to Ff96 boots repeatedly while waiting for them to record and release FII. That all said, I love the anthemic ending of HK, which would never have been created had it not been separated into a different song, so it's a good concession.

Sorry Scotty. Much respect. But you're wrong! 😝😁

I'm one who heard the album version first. So, obviously that has an influence on why I like BMS and HK as they came to be. But to me, listening to the demo, BMS '96 just sounds like a mish-mash of riffs. Especially in that first and second verse. Then, after the 2nd chorus, they kill any momentum by dropping down to return to that quiet intro and go into this random soft section. Cool but very out of place.

Then, they kill that momentum to awkwardly go back into the chorus riff for the keyboard solo. I don't know. I think that was one instance where Kevin Shirley made the right call. The flow is way better in both on the album.

I have similar issues with the demo of "Lines in The Sand". But I've noticed they've reverted back to the original arrangement for that song live. So, I wonder if that case was a band decision as opposed to a Kevin Shirley decision.  :justjen
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: March 24, 2024, 08:28:41 PM »
That all said, I love the anthemic ending of HK, which would never have been created had it not been separated into a different song, so it's a good concession.

I listened to much of FII a short while back, and that may be favorite part of the entire album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2024, 09:54:36 AM »

Yeah...agree.  PERHAPS I'd have thought differently had I heard the original version of Oliver's Twist first, but it is the most out-of-place thing I think I've ever heard.  Same with BMS/HK.  The original literally sounds like someone took an existing song and used Pro Tools to stick something that doesn't belong in the middle.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2024, 10:04:37 AM »
Sometimes, trimming a song down ends up being the right move, even with a band like DT where the longest songs are usually the most loved by the fans.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #219 on: March 25, 2024, 10:26:03 AM »
The original literally sounds like someone took an existing song and used Pro Tools to stick something that doesn't belong in the middle.
Kinda like Metropolis, BTL and TDEN?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #220 on: March 25, 2024, 02:40:04 PM »
I first heard the 96 version of Burning My Soul, well, live in 1996.  But I do find the album version to be a more definitive presentation of those musical ideas.

And I agree that Erotomania doesn't technically belong in Pull Me Under.  But back on topic, why not try something unexpected and fresh for the live version?  DT is not adverse to playing demos of previously released songs.  They brought back the BMS demo.  And I'll never forget when they whipped out the demo version of Hollow Years for me and that one other guy that knew the extra verses.  Its the VIP treatment for the super fan.  And I like it.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2024, 03:19:13 PM »
The original literally sounds like someone took an existing song and used Pro Tools to stick something that doesn't belong in the middle.

Thought you were talking about Ministry of Lost Souls for a second here

Offline pg1067

« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2024, 04:34:00 PM »
Kinda like Metropolis, BTL and TDEN?

Those don't sound that way to me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2024, 05:20:27 PM »
I always thought that original version of Pull Me Under sounded really clunky, even by the standards of other songs of theirs that go into big instrumental sections (several songs mentioned already). They did themselves a big favor getting rid of that section, and it works way better than in Erotomania. I guess it would be a cool bone to throw to the hardcore fans and those who don't know any better might just think it's some weird medley with Erotomania.

All that being said, I would really love to just see Erotomania and Voices come back.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2024, 10:21:58 AM »
Those don't sound that way to me.
Maybe not to you because that's the way you heard the songs for the first time. I remember hearing BTL and loving it until it got to the "Zappa" section, and then I was like WHAT THE....??!?!?!? I've gotten used to it, but for me, it sounds WAY more out of place than the mellow section in the middle of BMS ever did (again, don't forget the '96 version also has the mellow intro to start the song which is mirrored later, so it's not completely out of the blue).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #225 on: March 27, 2024, 08:59:29 AM »
Honestly, the original BMS always sounded like a work in progress. The decision to split it resulted in two reasonably decent tunes as opposed to something that didn't make any sense.
The original BMS felt like the band was really out of ideas and tried to craft something that just wasn't there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2024, 09:29:20 AM »
Honestly, the original BMS always sounded like a work in progress. The decision to split it resulted in two reasonably decent tunes as opposed to something that didn't make any sense.
The original BMS felt like the band was really out of ideas and tried to craft something that just wasn't there.
Agreed
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2024, 09:09:44 AM »
Some people complain about "forced diversity" in entertainment, well, in prog there can be also such a thing as "forced complexity". Tempo and mood changes in a song have to happen organically, sticking random parts together just for the sake of calling it a complex song doesn't do anything for me. It has to flow first and foremost, if power metal bands can make coherent 13 minutes songs, so can DT, actually DT should be the benchmark for how to structure songs and not expose themselves to "copy and paste" criticisms.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #228 on: March 28, 2024, 02:24:33 PM »
The only downside to splitting HK out of BMS is that you have to hit the "skip" button twice instead of just once.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2024, 05:28:31 PM »
The only downside to splitting HK out of BMS is that you have to hit the "skip" button twice instead of just once.

You have a point.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2024, 05:40:41 PM »
In the minority here. I like BMS. I liked it better the more I listened to it. (who'da thunk with Dream Theater). Then, I liked it even more after I heard with HK.
In fact, I didn't really care for HK, until I heard it presented this way.  :blush Now I like all of them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2024, 06:04:58 PM »
In the minority here. I like BMS. I liked it better the more I listened to it. (who'da thunk with Dream Theater). Then, I liked it even more after I heard with HK.
In fact, I didn't really care for HK, until I heard it presented this way.  :blush Now I like all of them.

As I've mentioned before, both are near the bottom of my rankings of DT songs, BUT:
-Regarding BMS, I think it would slay live, and I wouldn't mind seeing it in a set.
-HK is a nice intro piece for LITS, and I don't mind it in that context.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2024, 06:20:19 PM »
As I've mentioned before, both are near the bottom of my rankings of DT songs, BUT:
-Regarding BMS, I think it would slay live, and I wouldn't mind seeing it in a set.
-HK is a nice intro piece for LITS, and I don't mind it in that context.

"Slay" might be a bit strong, but I hear you. The '05 version of JLMB was awesome live, with a slightly extended JR continuum solo.

HK, to me, is the kind of song the band could come back out for an encore with before blasting into a high energy song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #233 on: March 29, 2024, 04:59:00 AM »
I would really, really, REALLY enjoy Hell's Kitchen if they played it. Would buy and put a nice bra in my concert bag to toss at them :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Trav86

« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2024, 05:07:04 AM »
I would really, really, REALLY enjoy Hell's Kitchen if they played it. Would buy and put a nice bra in my concert bag to toss at them :lol

That’s a hell of an incentive!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2024, 02:06:17 PM »
I imagine they've seen their share of nice bras so I don't know how much of an incentive it is :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2024, 05:59:28 PM »
Reminds me of this classic video
https://youtu.be/ywPuWyh-gCU?si=m1r91GK7YtgsHznw

Offline nick_z

« Reply #237 on: March 30, 2024, 01:35:19 PM »
On BMS and HK...

I have said it before, but HK is one of my favorite DT instrumentals, and BMS is one of my least favorite songs on FII soooo...to me the "extraction" of the instrumental portion was perhaps the best production decision in those sessions. And I did hear the original version first, live, on the Pre-FII tour.

And going over Scotty's examples...Metropolis, well, yes, the instrumental section is a bit out of nowhere, but the young me in 1992 hadn't heard anything like it, so I fell in love with it regardless ;) As for BTL and TDEN...they are pretty far down my DT songs' ranking, so I guess it all more or less fits...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #238 on: April 01, 2024, 09:58:56 AM »

« Reply #239 on: April 01, 2024, 08:57:04 PM »
Honor Thy Father: Would be amazing to see live!  So heavy, angry, and so much energy!  It was on my very first DT album.
Metropolis Pt. 1: One of my absolute favorites!
Misunderstood: Such a unique track.  I love it, and I've never seen it in person.
Scenes is my favorite album, so...
    The Dance of Eternity: Fun to watch!  Fun to listen to!
    The Spirit Carries On: Always amazing live!
    Finally Free: A great outro.  The return of the Portnoy drum solo at the end.
Bridges in the Sky: A banger from one of their best albums, DToE!
Stream of Conciousness: Great instrumental, also from my very first DT album.  Gives me chills every time.
In The Presence of Enemies: I still remember the excitement hearing this for the first time and loving it!
Octavarium: A masterpiece!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #240 on: April 04, 2024, 02:43:25 PM »
when will the results be posted?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2024, 02:49:01 PM »
Good question.  I've been debating whether to cut this off soon and try to get the results to the band sooner rather than later, or to wait a bit.  Not currently decided.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2024, 02:50:48 PM »
Good question.  I've been debating whether to cut this off soon and try to get the results to the band sooner rather than later, or to wait a bit.  Not currently decided.
I suppose it may depend on if there will be some sort of summer tour, which would have to be planned soonish, I would think.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2024, 03:09:40 PM »
1. Octavarium
2. Blind Faith
3. Misunderstood
4. A Rite of Passage
5. Lines in the Sand
6. A New Beginning
7. Transcending Time
8. S2N
9. Ytse Jam
10. The Enemy Inside

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #244 on: April 04, 2024, 03:39:02 PM »

It would be nice also to get a comment from them; not "K we'll play Octavarium and The Glass Prison since you asked", but more having a general feedback if they appreciated the songs we came up with and how different it was from their expectations  :D