Author Topic: NFL 2024 season - v. Greatest Pats...and 31 other cool teams  (Read 4699 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: NFL 2024 season - off season chatter
« Reply #175 on: March 21, 2024, 07:30:20 AM »
Maybe we should start a separate Patriots thread for the four of you, and then keep this thread to actual NFL discussion that other people care about.

OK, glad it's not just me, I almost started a separate NFL thread for the other 31 teams yesterday :lol
:lol

To be fair, the only thing to discuss about my alleged team is their continued downward spiral.  So, not worth talking about at all.

Very curious how Canales does in a head coaching capacity. He did pretty good as a one year first time offensive coordinator with the Bucs. Players loved his personality and super positive attitude. Rashad White the Bucs RB tweeted 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' when news came out of Canales hire to Carolina.

I was looking forward to seeing him again this year and see how he progressed, the one thing really positive that he did during the last season was adjusting the playbook to the players strength. when they were in a slump mid season losing 6 of 7 games, they somewhat retooled the offense to finish much stronger in the end. I was really hoping to see how much further he'd take it this year. I don't blame him for taking the head coach job though.
I don't blame HIM for anything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: March 21, 2024, 09:52:01 AM »
Changing gears for a minute.....kudos to Aaron Donald for his HOF career, and walking away before injuries or Father Time forced his hand.

One of the few defensive players that caused me to take my eye off of the play at times to follow an individual player.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2024, 12:43:54 PM »
Changing gears for a minute.....kudos to Aaron Donald for his HOF career, and walking away before injuries or Father Time forced his hand.

One of the few defensive players that caused me to take my eye off of the play at times to follow an individual player.

Amen, Brother. The guy was a beast. I was surprised to hear he was retiring.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

Re: NFL 2024 season - v. Greatest Pats...and 31 other cool teams
« Reply #178 on: March 22, 2024, 07:37:15 AM »
I’ve seen plays where 4 guys blocked him. Jason Kelce said on his weekly show with Travis that anytime they played the Rams, every single offensive play was determined by what to do with Donald. Upper echelon hall of  famer.

Online faizoff

« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2024, 10:29:33 AM »
Aaron Donald was a legit beast, Chris Jones game in the superbowl reminded me of the difference they can make in just a couple of plays.

So the NFL has approved a new kickoff return rule which apparently makes it similar to the XFL now. Something akin to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkpLQtcIH4&ab_channel=KorkedBats

Hip drop tackles are also now banned, the usual question arises is how well will they be enforced.

Also surprised Sneed signed with the Titans, I thought he was one of pillars of that Chiefs defense.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 10:36:49 AM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2024, 10:37:53 AM »
Hip drop tackles are also now banned, the usual question arises is how well will they be enforced.
Inconsistently, obviously.

So the NFL has approved a new kickoff return rule which apparently makes it similar to the XFL now. Something akin to this
Kickoffs have become boring, so I don't mind a change. However, this change does further screw up onside kicks. That's something that should be addressed at the same time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2024, 10:46:25 AM »
Onside kicks WERE addressed.

Surprise onside kicks will not be allowed.  The kicking team has to let the ref know they are doing an onside kick, and in that instance, it will be done from the traditional formation.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #182 on: March 26, 2024, 10:51:21 AM »
Onside kicks WERE addressed.

Surprise onside kicks will not be allowed.  The kicking team has to let the ref know they are doing an onside kick, and in that instance, it will be done from the traditional formation.
I meant fixed. Not eliminated altogether, which is essentially the case.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2024, 11:08:26 AM »
Is it just me or is this everything that's wrong with our society today?   We don't like something? Throw another rule at it!!!   For fuck's sake, the rules have sucked the fun out of NASCAR, they sucked the fun out of baseball (for me), they're sucking the fun out of football, and hockey is right there on the doorstep.   

:tdwn

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2024, 11:26:31 AM »
Naturally this comes across as damage control, but I do have to wonder how much input RKK actually had in the final product. While the Patriots are listed as producers, it does seem to be the same people behind all Imagine productions.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10114468-robert-kraft-disappointed-with-emphasis-on-patriots-controversies-in-dynasty-doc
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2024, 12:09:44 PM »
I'm all for anything that stops the endless parade of touchbacks.

Also they will now have a replay assistant in charge of overturning "obvious and objectively wrong" bad calls which is great. No more 15 yds and automatic first down for Chris Jones hitting Brady's (or whoever's) shoulder pad.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2024, 12:17:42 PM »
Is it just me or is this everything that's wrong with our society today?   We don't like something? Throw another rule at it!!!   For fuck's sake, the rules have sucked the fun out of NASCAR, they sucked the fun out of baseball (for me), they're sucking the fun out of football, and hockey is right there on the doorstep.   

It's just you.

The change to the kickoff rule was to bring back kickoff returns (which were only occurring on a little over 20% of kickoffs) while ensuring safety.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2024, 01:16:19 PM »
I'm all for anything that stops the endless parade of touchbacks.

Also they will now have a replay assistant in charge of overturning "obvious and objectively wrong" bad calls which is great. No more 15 yds and automatic first down for Chris Jones hitting Brady's (or whoever's) shoulder pad.

Well, let's hope that's what happens. You know full well the "whoever's" is Mahomes; as soon as a defensive end gets into the backfield the referee's got his hand on the bean bag.  It'd be nice to get rid of some of those penalties.  ;) :) :) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2024, 01:17:25 PM »

When in the hell was NASCAR fun?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2024, 01:18:00 PM »
It's just you.

The change to the kickoff rule was to bring back kickoff returns (which were only occurring on a little over 20% of kickoffs) while ensuring safety.

I didn't read this exact change, but I know some of the reasoning for going in a different direction wasn't the "kickoff play" per se, but to eliminate the contact between a coverage person on a dead run against a returner who was at a dead standstill. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2024, 01:32:23 PM »
I think they should have the first kickoff of each game a true kickoff as we know it today. Just the first one to begin the game and every score after that, they use the new rule.

Yes it's anticlimactic, but I find that the FIRST kickoff is fun and exciting, even if the ball goes into the back of the endzone every time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2024, 03:13:16 PM »
When in the hell was NASCAR fun?

When Richard Petty, Cale Yarborough and A.J. Foyt were racing real stock cars with open windows, THAT was fun. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2024, 03:16:01 PM »
When Richard Petty, Cale Yarborough and A.J. Foyt were racing real stock cars with open windows, THAT was fun.

I agree with TAC but I am more into the logistics of the race.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2024, 09:40:31 AM »
I think the kickoff change is going to be awesome.  The penalties for touchback into the endzone will incentivize kickers to try to kick a returnable ball, and we should get a lot more returns (which means a lot more football) with fewer injuries occurring on those returns.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2024, 10:00:55 AM »
I think the kickoff change is going to be awesome.  The penalties for touchback into the endzone will incentivize kickers to try to kick a returnable ball, and we should get a lot more returns (which means a lot more football) with fewer injuries occurring on those returns.
If enough returns go for TDs, and I think that's a distinct possibility, you'll probably see nothing but touchbacks on the 30.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2024, 10:05:36 AM »
If enough returns go for TDs, and I think that's a distinct possibility, you'll probably see nothing but touchbacks on the 30.
Maybe.  I don't know how many TD returns we will actually see.  But we will definitely see returns again, even if they don't go all the way back.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2024, 11:17:31 AM »
Maybe.  I don't know how many TD returns we will actually see.  But we will definitely see returns again, even if they don't go all the way back.

I heard Dave Lombardi (who reports for the 49ers) speculate this morning that the new rules could possibly result in wholesale changes in how some teams play the kick return.  Teams with explosive runners, like the 49ers with McCaffrey and Deebo, may likely use those players for kick returns now that the likelihood of injury on those plays should be drastically reduced and the potential for an explosive run is a lot higher.  Interesting to see how teams may play that angle.  Of course, if the 49ers put CMC and Deebo back as their two kick returners, their opponents may be likely to just say "screw that--take the touchback because no way we're kicking to those guys."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2024, 12:42:55 PM »
It seems to me that there was a natural stratification with the kick coverage team creating a deeper field to run through. Some guys are faster than others, and some have further to run. With the new rules there will only be one line of guys to run through, I'd think. I really don't know, it's not like the XFL provided a very large sample size, but the way it looks on paper I'd expect people to only have to clear one level and then they're off to the races. It also seems like if you kick to one side of the field, cover guys on the other side might not be in play at all. I know if I were still wasting time with fantasy football I'd definitely be blowing a pick on a good D/ST, with the ST being potentially quite valuable.
E.F. Benson

Offline T-ski

« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2024, 01:38:05 PM »

I’ll be more than happy to participate in a NASCAR thread, been a fan since I was a kid.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2024, 11:32:58 PM »
I just saw a kickoff reel from the new XFL.

The kicker tees up all by his lonesome at the kicking team’s 30 yard line.

The rest of the kicking team lines up at the receiving team’s 35 with the receiving team lined up directly across from them at their own 30 yard line.

No one is allowed to move until the receiver fields the ball.  This prevents the head on collisions that take place when players run full speed at each other.

I kinda liked it. Have you guys seen this?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2024, 06:02:57 AM »

The rest of the kicking team lines up at the receiving team’s 35 with the receiving team lined up directly across from them at their own 30 yard line.

No one is allowed to move until the receiver fields the ball.  This prevents the head on collisions that take place when players run full speed at each other.

Yes.  Can't wait to see this with NFL talent.

Online faizoff

« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2024, 06:25:19 AM »

Yeah I mentioned about it when the NFL changed the rules on the kickoffs.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2024, 06:36:13 AM »
I believe this will lead to higher-scoring games which the NFL also wants as scoring was down last year. I imagine until teams figure out how they want to play it, there may be at least one extra huge return per team per game. Steelers just signed Patterson solely for the purpose.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2024, 07:03:13 AM »
I believe this will lead to higher-scoring games which the NFL also wants as scoring was down last year. I imagine until teams figure out how they want to play it, there may be at least one extra huge return per team per game. Steelers just signed Patterson solely for the purpose.

It's going to piss me off to no end if these games turn out to be 28-24, with two scoring returns on each side basically making what would be a classic defensive battle into a highlight reel.   

Maybe Belichick was right all along and got out of Dodge in the nick of time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2024, 07:42:35 AM »
It's going to piss me off to no end if these games turn out to be 28-24, with two scoring returns on each side basically making what would be a classic defensive battle into a highlight reel.   
I don't know, man.  Most "classic defensive battles" are just piss poor offense.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2024, 07:48:03 AM »
I don't know, man.  Most "classic defensive battles" are just piss poor offense.

Maybe; but I think the point remains that this has the potential to overwhelm the outcomes of the game.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2024, 07:53:31 AM »
Maybe; but I think the point remains that this has the potential to overwhelm the outcomes of the game.

At least it's reintroduced it as being part of the game, where it has basically been reduced to having no impact. Teams will figure out how to defend it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2024, 07:58:25 AM »
At least it's reintroduced it as being part of the game, where it has basically been reduced to having no impact. Teams will figure out how to defend it.

Maybe; I just don't want the NFL to be any more like "Celebrity Family Feud", where no matter how many points either family has, the final round is geared so that "it's anyone's game!". There's 60 minutes in a game, and all are important, not just the last four.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2024, 08:05:22 AM »
Maybe; I just don't want the NFL to be any more like "Celebrity Family Feud", where no matter how many points either family has, the final round is geared so that "it's anyone's game!". There's 60 minutes in a game, and all are important, not just the last four.
Seems like half of them already are. That's why I was so disconnected last year. The NFL, and I guess the public too, wants every game to be 36-35, ended by a last second TD bomb. I don't mind those, but it seems to happen with every game, even one is far, far better than the other in every phase of the game. What's the point?
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2024, 08:06:14 AM »

So...the NBA?

I wouldn't worry about it Stads. Seriously.