Author Topic: NFL 2024 season - v. Greatest Pats...and 31 other cool teams  (Read 4727 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: NFL 2024 season - off season chatter
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2024, 09:24:33 AM »
It’s a hit piece, Bart. And if it’s not, it’s certainly coming across that way.

And Kraft is FINALLY getting some blowback around here between this and the players’ survey.
That's a surprise, honestly (about the hit piece). I assume it's glowing about Brady. Wonder if they'll mention the handjob in Florida. That'll be a good indicator.

From the way it's looking to me RKK seems to be slowly handing the thing over to Johnathan. JK certainly appears to have a hand in the forward direction of the thing, and I'm probably not going to like it much. Personally, I'm a big fan of RKK, and he'll probably be remembered less fondly than he should be.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online faizoff

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2024, 09:35:31 AM »
I should've just looked up the company credits on IMDB to see who was producing it, it was indeed Brian Glazer's company that is producing this. Found this article on it that talks on the friendship of Kraft and Glazer and how Kraft essentially said someone was making this but I'd like you to do it.

I don't know if they're going to talk about the handjob with 2 episodes left, so far Kraft has only admitted to being wrong on Aaron Hernandez. The BB slants at first just seemed nothing at first but the later episodes almost every episode has something or the other against him.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2024, 09:47:34 AM »
I haven't seen it, and don't intend to, but if they report on stuff that BB actually said or did that make him look bad, that doesn't necessarily make it a "hit job."  That just means that he said and did things that make him look bad.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2024, 09:49:02 AM »
I should've just looked up the company credits on IMDB to see who was producing it, it was indeed Brian Glazer's company that is producing this. Found this article on it that talks on the friendship of Kraft and Glazer and how Kraft essentially said someone was making this but I'd like you to do it.

I don't know if they're going to talk about the handjob with 2 episodes left, so far Kraft has only admitted to being wrong on Aaron Hernandez. The BB slants at first just seemed nothing at first but the later episodes almost every episode has something or the other against him.
Yeah, that really does sound like they're making a fluff piece. That's a shame; I'd a lot of respect for Imagine Entertainment. If Grazer is that tight with both RKK and TB12 it's going to be hard to make Belichick anything but the Grinch (which he already kind of is).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2024, 09:51:23 AM »
I haven't seen it, and don't intend to, but if they report on stuff that BB actually said or did that make him look bad, that doesn't necessarily make it a "hit job."  That just means that he said and did things that make him look bad.
I haven't seen it, either, but your premise is flawed. Even if they report things he actually said and did, if they only report the stuff that makes him look bad then it's still a hit piece. You can report a very accurate series of events, but if you only report one side then it's not an accurate portrayal. Look no further than FOX to see how that plays out in practice.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2024, 09:59:41 AM »
I haven't seen it, either, but your premise is flawed. Even if they report things he actually said and did, if they only report the stuff that makes him look bad then it's still a hit piece. You can report a very accurate series of events, but if you only report one side then it's not an accurate portrayal. Look no further than FOX to see how that plays out in practice.
Depends on the focus of the story.  And I don't know, again, because I haven't seen it.

If they are only portraying one event or period of time, and in that one event he looks bad and didn't do anything good, then that's the outcome.  If they are claiming to present a career retrospective, or extended length of time, but don't portray any good stuff that he actually did during that span, then yeah, that's probably a hit piece.  Is that what this is?  I have no clue.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2024, 10:03:30 AM »
Depends on the focus of the story.  And I don't know, again, because I haven't seen it.

If they are only portraying one event or period of time, and in that one event he looks bad and didn't do anything good, then that's the outcome.  If they are claiming to present a career retrospective, or extended length of time, but don't portray any good stuff that he actually did during that span, then yeah, that's probably a hit piece.  Is that what this is?  I have no clue.
Well, it's called The Dynasty.  :lol

Like you, I haven't seen it either, but it's a retrospective of the 02-18 seasons and all that came within. From the way it looks it's done in traditional Imagine style, which is to say a series of episodes covering specific stories during that era. Aaron Hernandez is apparently an entire episode, for example. With that style, there are two different avenues for bias. You can only tell stories you want to tell, and you can tell those stories from a singular point of view.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2024, 10:10:41 AM »

And MSNBC!!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Online faizoff

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2024, 10:18:11 AM »

I don't think it's a "hit job" of a documentary, there are a lot of interesting things in there, I found the early years the most informative. To their credit they also have a lot of relevant people interviewed from each time period including opponents etc. I'm just saying they don't make BB look pretty. He's painted in a light that goes beyond his normal hoodieness. Oh Aaron was a punk in his rookie year? BB didn't say anything to him. Oh Brady deflated balls? BB threw him under the bus. You're taping other opponent's signals? Lets show Kraft calling BB a schmuck for doing that. So things like that.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2024, 10:18:31 AM »

Well, it's called The Dynasty.  :lol

Like you, I haven't seen it either, but it's a retrospective of the 02-18 seasons and all that came within. From the way it looks it's done in traditional Imagine style, which is to say a series of episodes covering specific stories during that era. Aaron Hernandez is apparently an entire episode, for example. With that style, there are two different avenues for bias. You can only tell stories you want to tell, and you can tell those stories from a singular point of view.

And I think you're right about what you said above, too.  Belichick was always set up as the bad guy from day one.   It was a very synergistic setup in that way and not one that is either easily explained or understood by outsiders unless you lived it.  Organizations like this, the ones that operate at a high level anyway, are not like a nuclear family or a small friend group. 

It's a shame, really, because I think it undermines that in many ways - including this willingness to play his role - he was the most important cog in the wheel.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2024, 12:32:34 PM »
Belichick was always set up as the bad guy from day one. 
Wasn't that a bit of a self-inflicted wound?  At least, judging from his public persona?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2024, 12:48:16 PM »
Wasn't that a bit of a self-inflicted wound?  At least, judging from his public persona?
Kind of. Jerry Glanville set himself up as a badguy. He created that persona. I think Bill just always maintained and presented a football-first mentality, and that was off-putting. Not to mention his total lack of fucks to give what others thought. He never really sought out that public image, but didn't run from it. Like all good coaches he certainly cultivated a business first attitude within the team, though, so from that standpoint it was by design. A lot of players really resented him. Plenty of others really appreciated his attitude, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2024, 01:06:08 PM »
Kind of. Jerry Glanville set himself up as a badguy. He created that persona. I think Bill just always maintained and presented a football-first mentality, and that was off-putting. Not to mention his total lack of fucks to give what others thought. He never really sought out that public image, but didn't run from it. Like all good coaches he certainly cultivated a business first attitude within the team, though, so from that standpoint it was by design. A lot of players really resented him. Plenty of others really appreciated his attitude, though.

And they ALL loved the rings.

I don't think it was really a "self-inflicted wound" in that way; I mean, it was by design, and it was his design, but I think he saw his peers - the Parcells, the Landry's, the Ditka's, the Cowher's - move out of coaching and it was understood that's one of the ways you won.  In this 2024 hyper-sensitive, hyper-defensive mindset I don't think anyone - myself included - saw it backfiring in that way.

Personally? I think it's an American crime how Bill Belichick is being treated these last two years.  He should be if not an American hero, at least a FOOTBALL hero, and that's not the case.   I think it's a shame and a sad indictment on us and our society.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2024, 01:18:03 PM »

And they ALL loved the rings.

I don't think it was really a "self-inflicted wound" in that way; I mean, it was by design, and it was his design, but I think he saw his peers - the Parcells, the Landry's, the Ditka's, the Cowher's - move out of coaching and it was understood that's one of the ways you won.  In this 2024 hyper-sensitive, hyper-defensive mindset I don't think anyone - myself included - saw it backfiring in that way.

Personally? I think it's an American crime how Bill Belichick is being treated these last two years.  He should be if not an American hero, at least a FOOTBALL hero, and that's not the case.   I think it's a shame and a sad indictment on us and our society.
How do you want him to be treated?  Every time his name comes up, people refer to him as the greatest NFL coach of all time, which is true, as far as I can tell.

Not everyone likes him, but that's largely because he isn't likable.  Not sure what else you mean as far as "how he's treated".

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2024, 01:22:28 PM »

He is a football hero, but does that mean he cannot be criticized for what went on here the last few years?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2024, 01:40:55 PM »
Cousins is my hero. Wish I could make bank like that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online faizoff

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2024, 01:43:02 PM »
Cousins is my hero. Wish I could make bank like that.

100 mil guaranteed  for 4 years. Guy's making bank for sure.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2024, 01:49:36 PM »
Not everyone likes him, but that's largely because he isn't likable.  Not sure what else you mean as far as "how he's treated".
Yeah, the unlikeablity is certainly part of it. For my part, I think people recognize him as one of the greats, but there always has to be a sort of asterisk next to him because of the silly Brady vs Belichick debate. I'm not going to speak for Stadler, but I'd say that if he is treated unfairly it's because of that point. Landry and Shula never had to address having numerous HOF quarterbacks supporting them, but it somehow seems to make Bill less worthy.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2024, 02:01:38 PM »
Yeah, the unlikeablity is certainly part of it. For my part, I think people recognize him as one of the greats, but there always has to be a sort of asterisk next to him because of the silly Brady vs Belichick debate. I'm not going to speak for Stadler, but I'd say that if he is treated unfairly it's because of that point. Landry and Shula never had to address having numerous HOF quarterbacks supporting them, but it somehow seems to make Bill less worthy.

That's part of it.  Maybe it's that there's been no honeymoon period.  He was unceremoniously let go after two bad seasons, and not even given the chance to correct the mistakes that weren't solely his to begin with (I know, I know, I just don't agree with the general wisdom).   

When Landry was let go, it was as if Jerry blew his nose in the Shroud of Turin.   He only survived that because of Jimmy Johnson.  We're not moving into the "Jimmy Johnson" era in Foxboro.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 03:09:11 PM by Stadler »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2024, 02:03:51 PM »
More evidence that the motto of the NFL is "What have you done for me lately?"  I was equally shocked that Vrabel was let go in Tennessee after being Coach of the Year just a couple of years ago.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2024, 03:09:36 PM »
More evidence that the motto of the NFL is "What have you done for me lately?"  I was equally shocked that Vrabel was let go in Tennessee after being Coach of the Year just a couple of years ago.

And no takers anywhere else!! I thought he'd be hired in a week, tops. Nope.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2024, 03:21:28 PM »

I'm shocked Vrabel wasn't hired.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2024, 03:35:42 PM »

I'm not terribly surprised by that. The number of teams that would hire a 70+ YO coach is pretty low, and some of the teams that ere bandied about weren't good fits (including Atlanta). The only place that made sense was Dallas, and perhaps Buffalo, and they both stayed pat. At this point in his career he's a coach to get a team over a hump, rather than start anew.

To that end, I'm looking forward to seeing Dallas collapse spectacularly.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2024, 05:23:00 PM »
In. Dolphins are your next SB champs, prove me wrong.
*waves hand in the direction of history*

Yeah, right  :(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2024, 07:05:41 PM »
Pats sign Jacoby Brissett.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2024, 07:37:15 AM »

Brissett, like Tyrod Taylor, is better than many current starting QBs.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2024, 08:29:16 AM »

Brissett, like Tyrod Taylor, is better than many current starting QBs.
Should have signed him last year. They'd have been a far better team. Signing him now seems odd, since they're essentially bringing him in to be a mentor. Maybe that's a good role for him, I don't know, but it seems like there should be better.

I'm glad to see they signed Onewenu, though. Kid's one of the most useful OL in the league.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2024, 09:40:13 AM »
I've always liked Brissett.  That should be a good pickup for them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2024, 09:41:55 AM »
I always wondered why Bill traded both Jimmy G and Brissett in the same season.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2024, 09:43:25 AM »
For the same reason as other questionable decisions he's made in the last several years.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2024, 09:58:17 AM »
He traded Garopollo because Brady's a whiny little bitch, and he traded Brissett because he was more valuable as trade bait than a backup QB. In that way he was just like Matt Cassel.
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2024, 10:01:34 AM »

I'm not terribly surprised by that. The number of teams that would hire a 70+ YO coach is pretty low, and some of the teams that ere bandied about weren't good fits (including Atlanta). The only place that made sense was Dallas, and perhaps Buffalo, and they both stayed pat. At this point in his career he's a coach to get a team over a hump, rather than start anew.

As long as Jerry Jones is in charge, he's the face of the franchise which is why I think BB to Dallas will never happen.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2024, 10:09:00 AM »

As long as Jerry Jones is in charge, he's the face of the franchise which is why I think BB to Dallas will never happen.
Yep, it'd seem you're correct. And for that he'll never win another ring, and that's what he deserves.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2024, 10:13:42 AM »
He traded Garopollo because Brady's a whiny little bitch, and he traded Brissett because he was more valuable as trade bait than a backup QB. In that way he was just like Matt Cassel.

For Dorsett.  Yeah, now I remember.  I forgot about that.  You know what though, Jimmy G was too injury prone.  The bitch was more durable.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2024, 10:16:47 AM »

For Dorsett.
Yeah, now I remember.  I forgot about that.  You know what though, Jimmy G was too injury prone.  The bitch was more durable.
Who, ironically, The Bitch wouldn't throw the ball to.  :lol

In retrospect keeping BBB was the right move, but how many times had people assumed that he was done? Remember how hard he was sucking before they headed to Cincinnati?
E.F. Benson