Author Topic: NFL 2024 season - v. Greatest Pats...and 31 other cool teams  (Read 4722 times)

Offline faizoff

NFL 2024 season - v. Greatest Pats...and 31 other cool teams
« on: March 04, 2024, 04:55:51 PM »
Been watching the off season more than usual this time round.
Bunch a stuff happened today.

Mike Evans re-signs with the Bucs. Hope Baker signs next.
Jason Kelce retires.
Russell Wilson released.

Been also watching the dynasty show. Seeing loose and funny BB from the early years is definitely different .

Also watched the Aaron Hernandez doc on Netflix. The CTE was off the charts.

Haven't followed the combine much, will probably read up in the draft.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 10:09:58 AM by bosk1 »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NFL 2024 season - off season chatter
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 08:34:29 PM »
Been watching the off season more than usual this time round.
Bunch a stuff happened today.

Mike Evans re-signs with the Bucs. Hope Baker signs next.
Jason Kelce retires.
Russell Wilson released.

Been also watching the dynasty show. Seeing loose and funny BB from the early years is definitely different .

Also watched the Aaron Hernandez doc on Netflix. The CTE was off the charts.

Haven't followed the combine much, will probably read up in the draft.

:lol :lol :lol

Excuse me for second, I think I read that wrong. That can't be correct.

Nope. That actually just happened.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 08:53:57 PM »
Broncos have $85 million in dead money for the next two years. That's a crazy amount of money owed to Wilson.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 07:18:53 AM »
I actually wouldn't mind if the Steelers ended up with Wilson. You know dang well he'll get the ball downfield to Pickens which is all they need to be competitive above what they already have.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 08:18:53 AM »
Broncos have $85 million in dead money for the next two years. That's a crazy amount of money owed to Wilson.
Damn! And factor in what they gave up to get the guy. Wow.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 08:29:30 AM »
Damn! And factor in what they gave up to get the guy. Wow.

This is what the teams got from the trade

Seahawks got

QB Drew Lock
TE Noah Fant
DL Shelby Harris
OT Charles Cross (2022 - 1st round pick)
OLB Boye Mafe (2022 - 2nd round pick)
OLB Tyreke Smith (2022 - 5th round pick)
CB Devon Witherspoon (2023 - 1st round pick)
EDGE Derick Hall (2023 - 2nd round pick)

Broncos got

QB Russell Wilson - Signed a five-year, $245 million contract extension following the trade
DL Eyioma Uwazurike (2022 - 4th round pick)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 10:05:34 AM »
Broncos have $85 million in dead money for the next two years.

I've been hearing this, but what exactly does it mean?

Does it mean that, as far as the Broncos are concerned, the salary cap in 2024 is $212.9M, whereas for everyone else it's $255.4M (and then the same in 2025 but with the number going up a bit)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 10:08:55 AM »

Does it mean that, as far as the Broncos are concerned, the salary cap in 2024 is $212.9M, whereas for everyone else it's $255.4M (and then the same in 2025 but with the number going up a bit)?
More or less. Dead money is simply cap money, in this case the guaranteed portion of Wilson's contract, for a player that's no longer on the team.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 10:13:02 AM »

It basically means that they still owe a player who no longer plays for them (Wilson) $85M over the next two years.  They are stuck with having to pay that even though he is not on their roster.  I think what you are saying is that that money counts against their salary cap, which it does.  Their salary cap is the same as everyone else's, but they have to pay money to a player they no longer have, so they effectively have less money under the cap to spread around, if that makes sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 11:18:37 AM »
Apparently Russell Wilson has the first and fifth biggest dead cap hits in history, with a relatively paltry 26m hit when he left the Seahawks.
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 11:29:33 AM »
Apparently Russell Wilson has the first and fifth biggest dead cap hits in history, with a relatively paltry 26m hit when he left the Seahawks.

Saw a tweet on that

Largest dead cap hits in NFL history:

Russell Wilson ($85M)
Matt Ryan ($40.53M)
Aaron Rodgers ($40.31M)
Carson Wentz ($33.8M)
Russell Wilson, again ($26M)

https://x.com/NanduriNFL/status/1764764148599009708?s=20

Offline pg1067

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 11:47:12 AM »

It basically means that they still owe a player who no longer plays for them (Wilson) $85M over the next two years.  They are stuck with having to pay that even though he is not on their roster.  I think what you are saying is that that money counts against their salary cap, which it does.  Their salary cap is the same as everyone else's, but they have to pay money to a player they no longer have, so they effectively have less money under the cap to spread around, if that makes sense.

Yeah...I don't really care that the team owes him the money.  It's the cap hit that I care about.  Basically, it's what I thought:  a guy who isn't on the team anymore is taking up a ridiculous chunk of cap space.  Sigh....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 12:40:16 PM »

Yeah...I don't really care that the team owes him the money.  It's the cap hit that I care about.  Basically, it's what I thought:  a guy who isn't on the team anymore is taking up a ridiculous chunk of cap space.  Sigh....
Yeah, it's never ideal, but it's often the best option. If they were to keep him around they'd still be taking that cap hit. It wouldn't even be distributed any differently, as there were effectively 2 years left anyway. Plus, they'd actually have to pay him. By going this route they saved about 35m this year, and 55m next. This frees up a significant amount of capital and the cap hit is a wash.
E.F. Benson

Offline emtee

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 01:04:01 PM »
I wouldn't mind Wilson as a backup in Detroit.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 01:51:40 PM »

For others - we've discussed this before, when a player gets guaranteed money, it must be put in an escrow account so the cap hit is in essence just a figure. I'm sure the Walton's would like to write the check (and they will) and be done with it but that figure stays on the books for whatever THAT duration is.

As for you emtee, that's not a bad idea at all!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2024, 01:53:37 PM »

For others - we've discussed this before, when a player gets guaranteed money, it must be put in an escrow account so the cap hit is in essence just a figure. I'm sure the Walton's would like to write the check (and they will) and be done with it but that figure stays on the books for whatever THAT duration is.

Now that he's released.. they can't transfer any of that cap money to Detroit (or whomever) can they?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2024, 02:01:50 PM »
I think if you trade a player to another team, whoever is paying the guaranteed money takes the cap hit. I don't know all the wizardry that goes behind the scenes for cap adjustments, I read that among the several threads regarding the cap hit yesterday.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2024, 03:43:29 PM »

Now that he's released.. they can't transfer any of that cap money to Detroit (or whomever) can they?

Wilson is now a free agent and can sign wherever.  My understanding is that the team that signs him need only pay him the league minimum.  However, I heard something on the radio this morning that suggested that most teams will give him more than the league minimum, which will give the Broncos a bit of cap relief (and, presumably, send some of the escrowed cash back to the team).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2024, 03:56:30 PM »
I think if you trade a player to another team, whoever is paying the guaranteed money takes the cap hit. I don't know all the wizardry that goes behind the scenes for cap adjustments, I read that among the several threads regarding the cap hit yesterday.

There actually is a roundabout sort of way of trading cap space, but it's not applicable here (simply because there's so much of it). There have been instances (Brock Osweiler being the most prominent) of teams trading a high-cap player AND picks to another team, who will then take on the contract and cap hit. They can then turn around and cut the player, if they wish. In Osweiler's case the Browns essentially bought a second round pick for 15m and a 10m cap hit. That's actually not a bad deal.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2024, 04:06:40 PM »
El Barto. Remember how insane the Hershel Walker trade was?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2024, 05:15:03 PM »
El Barto. Remember how insane the Hershel Walker trade was?
Certainly, but that was a different sort of deal. Vikings thought they were only one great RB away from a trophy, and Dallas was looking to stockpile picks. The cap didn't even exist at that point.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2024, 09:33:06 PM »
Oh Definitely. I was just thinking of how much h they had to give up.

BTW, I remember Walker breaking a long run at Foxborough in overtime.  Most memorable about that game was it was so cold that my propane froze while grilling. 

Also, some chick got all the way down to just her panties. Security came, men were pissed thwy stopped her, and tumbled over their golf cart down a hill. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2024, 08:35:20 AM »
Oh Definitely. I was just thinking of how much h they had to give up.

BTW, I remember Walker breaking a long run at Foxborough in overtime.  Most memorable about that game was it was so cold that my propane froze while grilling. 

Also, some chick got all the way down to just her panties. Security came, men were pissed thwy stopped her, and tumbled over their golf cart down a hill. Lol
Until he became an opportunistic political dumbfuck I was a real big Herschel Walker fan. Guy was a beast (and probably still does 1k situps a day). I remember a game, might have been against the Skins, where Dallas was huge underdogs, and even more-so when Emmett got hurt during the week. Dallas signed (again) Herschel to start, and I picked them as an upset on that basis. Sure enough after having a relatively quiet game he turned a dump off pass into a 40 yd gain down the sideline setting up a walk-off field goal. I've long maintained that playing with heart is what separates good from great running backs, and very few people played with more heart than Walker. He was going to will the Cowboys to a win and I knew it.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2024, 09:18:56 AM »
Those are the memories I cherish going to all those games for decades.  The win against Miami after a 2 foot blizzard.  Bruschi intercepted a pass and ran it in for a touchdown.  He slide on his knees and we all started to throw snow up in the air.  It looked magical.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2024, 02:57:59 PM »
Texans revealing new uniforms next month.  They sound interesting, especially with a touch of the Oilers blue.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2024, 10:34:05 AM »
And. . . there goes McCorkle. I thought they might have kept him around as a backup, but I'm glad to see him go to a different environment. I'd have preferred a place where he might have competed for a starting gig, though.

Seems like NE is hell-bent to draft one of the QBs. Failing that they'll trade down. I'd prefer the second option, but drafting MHJr would certainly be the best move.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2024, 05:52:04 PM »
Holy cow Chris Jones just made bank.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2024, 05:55:42 PM »
And. . . there goes McCorkle. I thought they might have kept him around as a backup, but I'm glad to see him go to a different environment. I'd have preferred a place where he might have competed for a starting gig, though.

Seems like NE is hell-bent to draft one of the QBs. Failing that they'll trade down. I'd prefer the second option, but drafting MHJr would certainly be the best move.

A much needed change for both parties. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2024, 06:00:54 PM »
In. Dolphins are your next SB champs, prove me wrong.

Just saw Terron Armstead is resigning with Miami. I was sure he was retiring.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2024, 06:02:49 PM »

NO chance!
There's your proof.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2024, 06:05:43 PM »
NO, as in New Orleans? So we beat the Saints in the SB this year, nice proof TACK!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2024, 10:14:04 PM »
Mac Jones to the Jags backup position.
Baker signing back with the Bucs.
Russel Wilson going to the Steelers.

The Dynasty doc with the Patriots seems to be very skewed against BB. I read that it was produced by the Kraft production house, which I guess would explain him being on there so much.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2024, 08:24:39 AM »
Mac Jones to the Jags backup position.
Baker signing back with the Bucs.
Russel Wilson going to the Steelers.

The Dynasty doc with the Patriots seems to be very skewed against BB. I read that it was produced by the Kraft production house, which I guess would explain him being on there so much.
I haven't bothered with it, but it was produced by Brian Grazer and Ron Howard. Those two are certainly in the entertainment business, but they're always going maintain their objective bona fides. Definitely not a hit-piece. The reality is that from an outside perspective it's necessarily going to come across as anti-Belichick because he was and is the badguy by design. People have a hard time accepting that sometimes the badguy can be the hero, too.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2024, 09:09:09 AM »
It’s a hit piece, Bart. And if it’s not, it’s certainly coming across that way.

And Kraft is FINALLY getting some blowback around here between this and the players’ survey.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2024, 09:22:06 AM »
*waves hand in the direction of history*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.