Author Topic: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Round 2 album listening commenced  (Read 46164 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Round 7 Results.
« Reply #2485 on: April 30, 2024, 04:08:13 AM »
I'm guessing it's not actually your brother?  Yeah, I'll check it out.  That song really surprised me.

Nah it's indeed his brother.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2486 on: April 30, 2024, 04:08:37 AM »
Been following this thread, obviously, and this caught my attention. I had checked out some stuff from the Lizard band before and it did nothing for me. Found the video for that track on YouTube. It's late and I don't like making purchases when I'm tired but, as of now, I think I will be picking up PetroDragonic Apocalypse and also Infest The Rats' Nest. Been listening on Bandcamp and they seem like winners.

I don't work tomorrow so I predict I will do some lizard hunting after I wake up.

Nice, Luke will appreciate and appreciate you following along mate.  Im keen to check these guys put more.  I'm guessing with hoe prolific they are there's a bit of variety in their styles.  Luke can obviously answer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2487 on: April 30, 2024, 04:09:31 AM »
Nah it's indeed his brother.

Shit, really?  Oh......

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2488 on: April 30, 2024, 04:10:04 AM »
I'm guessing it's not actually your brother?  Yeah, I'll check it out.  That song really surprised me.
Wait, you somehow didn't know that? Obviously you don't follow the Haken thread but I'm sure I've mentioned several times in roulettes. :lol

Yes literally my younger brother is their keyboardist. He was on their original demo back when he was a teenager, but left before their first album to pursue studies, but he returned to the band on Fauna.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2489 on: April 30, 2024, 04:10:52 AM »
Wait, you somehow didn't know that? Obviously you don't follow the Haken thread but I'm sure I've mentioned several times in roulettes. :lol

More like fifty times :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2490 on: April 30, 2024, 04:11:09 AM »
I don't think you'll like Fauna but I'm curious what you'll think about it.

At this point this is Tim's roulette to lose I guess, he's very consistent. Although it's only half a point so there's a chance. I'll send something today.

I reckon you can challenge mate.  Tim has as you said just been consistent across the board.  Besides the first round, no real slip ups is key to keeping one at the top.

It is probably his to lose though but interested in what you come up with.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2491 on: April 30, 2024, 04:12:51 AM »

Yes literally my younger brother is their keyboardist. He was on their original demo back when he was a teenager, but left before their first album to pursue studies, but he returned to the band on Fauna.

No, I did not know that at all. Wow!

Although if he was only on the demo and the new album, me giving this song a 9 after slagging the shit out of them makes me look pretty fucking good!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2492 on: April 30, 2024, 04:13:45 AM »
More like fifty times :lol

I see the word Haken and pretty much zone out to be honest.  :lol

Even more reason to check it out.  Again, great song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2493 on: April 30, 2024, 04:35:40 AM »
I’d like to know who really scored this round. Was there a guest judge?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2494 on: April 30, 2024, 04:36:28 AM »
No, I did not know that at all. Wow!

Although if he was only on the demo and the new album, me giving this song a 9 after slagging the shit out of them makes me look pretty fucking good!  :metal
:lol I mean, I wouldn't take any offense anyway, tastes are tastes. You're hardly alone in not being keen on Ross's vocals, they're quite polarising in a similar way to JLB, although I do think he's got better over time and especially on the new album. And their style can, to varying degrees, be either quite whimsical and quirky and/or quite rhythmically intricate (in a djenty sort of way), neither of which tend to be your cup of tea.

Anyway, interested to see what you think of the new album, but no issue if you don't like it other than Lovebite. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: April 30, 2024, 04:49:28 AM »
I’d like to know who really scored this round. Was there a guest judge?

:lol  I knew a comment like this was coming.

I knew for this round I really had to take myself out of my comfort zone and I think I achieved it.  I did really like most of this, even Haken.  Do I think anything here will convert me........probably not.  But it was nice to have some different stuff that was still quite good music.

Don't worry, I ain't going soft.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2496 on: April 30, 2024, 04:50:15 AM »
:lol I mean, I wouldn't take any offense anyway, tastes are tastes. You're hardly alone in not being keen on Ross's vocals, they're quite polarising in a similar way to JLB, although I do think he's got better over time and especially on the new album. And their style can, to varying degrees, be either quite whimsical and quirky and/or quite rhythmically intricate (in a djenty sort of way), neither of which tend to be your cup of tea.

Anyway, interested to see what you think of the new album, but no issue if you don't like it other than Lovebite. :lol

Stay tuned for the updates post roulette.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2497 on: April 30, 2024, 06:49:25 AM »
:lol  I knew a comment like this was coming.

I knew for this round I really had to take myself out of my comfort zone and I think I achieved it.  I did really like most of this, even Haken.  Do I think anything here will convert me........probably not.  But it was nice to have some different stuff that was still quite good music.

Don't worry, I ain't going soft.

You need to get back into your comfort zone before you score the next round.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2498 on: April 30, 2024, 07:18:32 AM »
Sent

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2499 on: April 30, 2024, 07:30:02 AM »
Sent!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2500 on: April 30, 2024, 07:45:33 AM »
And Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2501 on: April 30, 2024, 08:38:28 AM »
Well, well, well...

Pumped that you loved King Gizzy my bizzy. If this round is the start of a period of exploration, musically, for you, then King Gizzard are the perfect band to go exploring with. They have two Metal albums, and a smattering of metal songs on their other albums, but their best stuff by FAR is their non metal stuff. You mention Tool. Tool wish they were as good as King Gizzard!

After the roulette I will explain to you about the Gizzverse, and tell you the story of Han-tyumi the Confused Cyborg.

wolfking has become luke's bestie for life with that score  :lol

Indeed! I had high hopes, but not this high.

Been following this thread, obviously, and this caught my attention. I had checked out some stuff from the Lizard band before and it did nothing for me. Found the video for that track on YouTube. It's late and I don't like making purchases when I'm tired but, as of now, I think I will be picking up PetroDragonic Apocalypse and also Infest The Rats' Nest. Been listening on Bandcamp and they seem like winners.

I don't work tomorrow so I predict I will do some lizard hunting after I wake up.

Oh, it was a two for one. I snagged two lizards with one stone. Honestly dude, they are the hottest band right now and one that I think are at their peak. Their live shows are already becoming a thing of legend.

Also, Kade I can't believe you didn't know about Rich's brother. I thought that was DTF common knowledge like Stadler likes KISS, Tim doesn't know pop culture references, Litho overthinks everything, Elite is always late, Chad hates growls, etc, etc. Wait until you find out who his son is!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 08:48:27 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2502 on: April 30, 2024, 10:58:16 AM »
We're so back :2metal:. Yeah, Talk Talk made some fantastic Pop albums and that record has even better tracks on it, check it out, it's probably my favorite piece of Pop music ever.

Wait until you find out who his son is!
Yeah I was blown away when I discovered it was Kevin Moore!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2503 on: April 30, 2024, 11:05:04 AM »
We're so back :2metal:. Yeah, Talk Talk made some fantastic Pop albums and that record has even better tracks on it, check it out, it's probably my favorite piece of Pop music ever.

Was it the one I gave 4/10?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2504 on: April 30, 2024, 12:35:16 PM »
Yeah, different track tho :natalieportman:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2505 on: April 30, 2024, 04:50:04 PM »
You need to get back into your comfort zone before you score the next round.  ;D

Already way ahead of you.  I don't like change.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2506 on: April 30, 2024, 04:52:48 PM »
Well, well, well...

Pumped that you loved King Gizzy my bizzy. If this round is the start of a period of exploration, musically, for you, then King Gizzard are the perfect band to go exploring with. They have two Metal albums, and a smattering of metal songs on their other albums, but their best stuff by FAR is their non metal stuff. You mention Tool. Tool wish they were as good as King Gizzard!

After the roulette I will explain to you about the Gizzverse, and tell you the story of Han-tyumi the Confused Cyborg.

Oh, it was a two for one. I snagged two lizards with one stone. Honestly dude, they are the hottest band right now and one that I think are at their peak. Their live shows are already becoming a thing of legend.

Also, Kade I can't believe you didn't know about Rich's brother. I thought that was DTF common knowledge like Stadler likes KISS, Tim doesn't know pop culture references, Litho overthinks everything, Elite is always late, Chad hates growls, etc, etc. Wait until you find out who his son is!

Oh dear, what have I done?  :lol  nah, seriously I'm all in.  Happy to be guided through their giant catalog.  More than happy to dive in.

Yeah, I legit didn't know Rich's brother was in Haken.  Looks like I've been under a rock.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2507 on: April 30, 2024, 04:53:19 PM »

Yeah I was blown away when I discovered it was Kevin Moore!

Interesting, will definitely check out the full thing mate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2508 on: April 30, 2024, 04:54:06 PM »
Was it the one I gave 4/10?

Normally something like that would be pretty hit and miss but I guess this just fell into place at the right time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2509 on: April 30, 2024, 04:56:32 PM »
Well, well, well...

Oh dear, what have I done?  :lol  nah, seriously I'm all in.  Happy to be guided through their giant catalog.  More than happy to dive in.

...and off they go!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2510 on: April 30, 2024, 04:59:00 PM »
Yeah, PetroDragonic Apocalypse was fantastic. I think you'll like it. Relentless from start to finish.

I will look into other stuff since their Bandcamp is loaded.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2511 on: April 30, 2024, 05:00:21 PM »
Yeah, PetroDragonic Apocalypse was fantastic. I think you'll like it. Relentless from start to finish.

Yeah, I checked it last year and enjoyed it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2512 on: April 30, 2024, 05:07:54 PM »
Yeah, I checked it last year and enjoyed it.

Always room for one more Tim.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2513 on: April 30, 2024, 05:27:49 PM »
There's no better time to plug my deep dive King Gizzy playlist. This covers most of their best songs, in a playlist I curated, in an attempt to flow between the many styles of Gizz. It's over 8 hours, so it's not for the faint hearted, but it covers all the genres they play, so you can sample which sounds appeal to you...

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1FMmAVVl3bc58AVsrFksFj?si=NMPSo2-0R7SjlnxgHSUeGQ&pi=e-nKcpl6zpT-yF

I don't think Litho ever made it all the way through, the coward.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2514 on: April 30, 2024, 05:33:24 PM »
Is this better than going album by album?  I'm more of an album man to be honest.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2515 on: April 30, 2024, 05:38:58 PM »
Is this better than going album by album?  I'm more of an album man to be honest.

No, no, it's much better to go through the actual albums, but due to the sheer volume it can be daunting for some. I think you'll be fine though as most albums are under an hour.

There are a few listening guides out there for Gizz, suggesting which albums to start with, and where to go next depending on what you liked. For you I'd say start with PetroDragonic Apocalypse and Infest The Rats Nest, before going on to I'm In Your Mind Fuzz, Nonagon Infinity, Polygonwanaland and Omnium Gatherum.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2516 on: April 30, 2024, 05:54:04 PM »
Ah sweet.  maybe a play through of some of your playlist and note the songs that caught my ear, might steer me through the albums too.  All in due time though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2517 on: April 30, 2024, 06:47:45 PM »
So...I can't send the Gizzard for the final round?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2518 on: April 30, 2024, 06:52:33 PM »
So...I can't send the Gizzard for the final round?

The Lizard is banned!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2519 on: April 30, 2024, 07:04:51 PM »
I think I should make it my goal in life to get a collaboration going with myself, Winger and King Gizzard.  We can call it, Wolfking Gizzard and the Winger Lizard band!  :metal