Author Topic: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Round 2 album listening commenced  (Read 46349 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yeah, maybe it's me, maybe others would like that tune, I'm not sure.  In isolation, there's nothing 'bad' about it.  There's melodies, decent performances, solid guitar playing but you put it all together, it just pales in comparison to most.  But again, it's probably a me thing too.  But compare it to Aaron's song and there's no competition, at all.

My impression was actually going to be, 'damn, these guys could really use Del Vicchio!' but thought that was too obvious.  ;D

#StillBetterThanUlrikLyngs

Hey... it's a cliche, but seriously, you do you.  No judgment on the score or writeup here - I totally get it.  TASTESTM!!  1/2 the songs you're scoring above an 8 I was pounding the skip button in a minute or less.  :dunno:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
#StillBetterThanUlrikLyngs

Hey... it's a cliche, but seriously, you do you.  No judgment on the score or writeup here - I totally get it.  TASTESTM!!  1/2 the songs you're scoring above an 8 I was pounding the skip button in a minute or less.  :dunno:

#YesI'llgiveyouthatone

Yeah I know mate, you'd listen to some of the 9's and go, 'what the fucking fuck!?'  :lol

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I keep scoring higher and higher but the 4 I got at the start really screwed me :lol

Really surprised you have never heard The Haunted, I thought they'd you be a band you've been listening to for years. I'd suggest listening to The Haunted Made Me Do It and The Dead Eye.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I keep scoring higher and higher but the 4 I got at the start really screwed me :lol

Really surprised you have never heard The Haunted, I thought they'd you be a band you've been listening to for years. I'd suggest listening to The Haunted Made Me Do It and The Dead Eye.

I'm expecting a strong finish from you and perhaps a bit more of a climb.

I've known the name for the longest time.  I'm not sure if I had sampled them in the past or what but from that song they are definitely a band I should checking out more.

Offline twosuitsluke

I'm expecting a strong finish from you and perhaps a bit more of a climb.

I've known the name for the longest time.  I'm not sure if I had sampled them in the past or what but from that song they are definitely a band I should checking out more.

Here's hoping mate.

The Haunted formed out of the ashes of At the Gates, and honestly I can't think of a band that would be more up your street, off the top of my head. I'll be looking forward to the post-roulette update.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Here's hoping mate.

The Haunted formed out of the ashes of At the Gates, and honestly I can't think of a band that would be more up your street, off the top of my head. I'll be looking forward to the post-roulette update.

Wow, I did not know that!

Offline romdrums

Damn, I was not expecting that score!  :metal The rest of the album that came from is pretty solid. My favorite of theirs is their 2012 release Eternalism. Lots of bangers on that one!

Also, sent for Round 7.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Sent!  Went the Tac Wildcard route. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I am really running away with this thing. Sent for the next round.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I'll send a happy tune shortly, hopefully.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
I am really running away with this thing. Sent for the next round.

Wondering if I should purposely shit the bed and garner my first last place roulette finish... I'm sure there's enough kpop and Jpop in my repertoire to do the job....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Wondering if I should purposely shit the bed and garner my first last place roulette finish... I'm sure there's enough kpop and Jpop in my repertoire to do the job....

Do it... do it... do it... :) :) :)

Come to the dark side!

Offline twosuitsluke

Well, I'm going to have to send King Gizzard before we're through. Collective bed shitting?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, I'm going to have to send King Gizzard before we're through. Collective bed shitting?

Can you guys get Tim on your team too?

Kade, I won't send today, apologies. Will try to listen to a couple of options on my long run tomorrow and then decide.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
I timely sent!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Can you guys get Tim on your team too?

Kade, I won't send today, apologies. Will try to listen to a couple of options on my long run tomorrow and then decide.

All good mate, probably won't start proper listening til Monday anyway.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Litho - Collibus - Dead Inside

Member award - Kip Winger

I know this band name.  Might have stumbled across them before from someone here.  Nevertheless, you managed to send me a song with female vocals that I really enjoyed.  The production on this was pretty ordinary though and hurt its impact but looking past it, it was a great groovy modern metal song with a great chorus.  But really, it's all about the strong vocals here, so well done, have a Kip Winger award for managing to send me female vocals that was the standout part of the track.  I think the score is fair because again, the production was a bit iffy and there's nothing here I haven't heard, but it was very enjoyable.

I sent them in TAC's latest roulette, that could be where you most recently saw them mentioned.  Sending a female vocalist that you didn't mind was actually one of my sub-goals of the roulette, so it's cool that I succeeded with that on the first proper try, since attempting it in too many rounds would be risky for the larger goal of doing well in the roulette.  :lol

I'm not sure what you're looking for production-wise, since you've given higher scores to stuff I'd consider similar, songs that are glossier, and ones that are rawer, but I can be picky about production myself, so I get that it's sometimes subtle and hard to explain.  Maybe try the song I sent to TAC off their other album, since that one is produced differently, and also is a different type of song, maybe a tad proggier. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/0i058mTbb7T6Sg0vcLuwCd

I'm actually fascinated that you considered the vocals the highlight, since Stephen Platt's guitar work for me is equally a highlight of theirs.  Per Nilsson actually just recently picked him to join Scar Symmetry, and he'd been a live guitarist for Devin Townsend for the past few years before that.  Collibus also fills a bit of the void that Nevermore left for me.  Stephen and then also Gus Drax from Sunburst that you already know are two of the better players in that vein that I've heard. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, the guitar playing was great but the vocals were the highlight FOR ME because it was a female vocalist who I thought was really good and had a strong voice and I enjoyed listening to.  As everyone knows, female vocalists aren't my thing at all and not many stick with me so that was the reason.

The production was okay, was just sounded really quiet to the other songs so felt a bit flat.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Yeah, maybe that's just of those idiosyncracies of having all the songs together in a playlist, and if you check out a full album later you'll get more acclimated to it.  I know ariich has talked about having the same issue at times. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Well, the guitar playing was great but the vocals were the highlight FOR ME because it was a female vocalist who I thought was really good and had a strong voice and I enjoyed listening to.  As everyone knows, female vocalists aren't my thing at all and not many stick with me so that was the reason.

The production was okay, was just sounded really quiet to the other songs so felt a bit flat.
Except Issa :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
By the way, I put the next song on the playlist. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Wondering if I should purposely shit the bed and garner my first last place roulette finish...

How to say "I'm awesome at roulette'g" without saying "I'm awesome at roulette'g"  ;D :P

I timely sent!

How's about you timely tend to your own garden - as Stadler would say.  :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Except Issa :)

Yeah. She's got him by the balls and will never let go.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Sent, now give me my 3  :metal :corn

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
All good mate, probably won't start proper listening til Monday anyway.

In that case I may even send tomorrow because I'm knackered today after the run. :lol I really suck at positive music. I've got a bunch but you won't like any of that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't forget, this is me we're talking about so my bar is pretty low when we're talking the word positive.  I mean, growls are positive.......right?  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't forget, this is me we're talking about so my bar is pretty low when we're talking the word positive.  I mean, growls are positive.......right?  :lol

alt-metal-doom-sludge is positive for you!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah. She's got him by the balls and will never let go.

Although Issa does not qualify for this round.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Sent!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Puppies and Crow gonna send depressive suicidal black metal because it makes them feel good!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent!

• DTF.org Member
Puppies and Crow gonna send depressive suicidal black metal because it makes them feel good!
I don't particularly like much of that side of Black Metal. There are a couple of exceptions, but atmospheric and melodic black metal is where I tend to find the most enjoyment.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Notice the wording I used in the writeup of the round, I said send me a song to 'lift the spirits'.  Over the last couple of years there's been seriously dark and depressive songs that have lifted my spirits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll send in a couple of hours when I'm back from work. Found a couple of good picks I think.

Offline twosuitsluke

I'm struggling here. When I think of 'positive' music that I'd send to you Kade, I'm thinking of Devin Townsend and some Mastodon (think Gigantium). All the other really positive stuff that fits the theme, is the stuff I'm confident will end in a low score.

So I either play it safe and send you something I think you'd like, that barely fits the theme, something I'm confident will do badly, but fits the theme, or send King Gizzy.

I mean, it seems like a no brainer really.