Author Topic: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Round 2 album listening commenced  (Read 45982 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Round 5 impressions are up
« Reply #1890 on: April 09, 2024, 05:57:18 PM »
It's probably then one of the ones that was unimpressive initially, so I'm gonna have to hope it's a grower. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1891 on: April 09, 2024, 06:09:40 PM »
This was a solid metal tune but is not knocking it out of the park for me?

Not quite.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1892 on: April 09, 2024, 06:17:57 PM »
Didn't stay with me as much as I thought it might but enjoyed the dark atmosphere?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1893 on: April 09, 2024, 06:38:42 PM »
So, this roulette so far has me thinking.  Other things have come in play for the cause of this post like the recent harsh vocals discussion in Indi's thread and basically, I'm turning 40 next month and have been thinking about my lack of interest and discovery the last 4-5 years or so.  Tim also mentioned something the other day when I asked about roulette submissions not really getting delved into after the fact, and I guess I'm guilty of that.  There has been a few songs from roulettes that have stuck and come into rotation but not so many bands.  I'm also seeing a lot of bands submitted here that have been discussed or even sent to me before that for the most part didn't stick, but nevertheless, it has me thinking.

This morning early I was in the car going to a trail meeting someone for a jog and since results are just about done, I decided to have a break and just put one of my random USB's into the car.  Most of these are usually filled with random songs from all the favs and can just go on a random playlist.  Anyway, I was skipping through and Barstool Warrior started so I kept it rolling.  Once I got past the solo into the 'promises made' section, I was driving and just thinking to myself, 'fuck this band is just so good.'  It just gave me a feeling of comfort, nostalgia and safeness but then also had me thinking about my musical journey.  Then Ancient Warrior from Sabbath came on and again, the same feeling.

I don't know where I'm really going with this but I almost get the sense or just wondering if my musical journey is pretty much complete.  I guess what I'm saying is that these bands that form us and we grow up with have become part of our DNA, so what else really competes?  While I've discovered a lot of cool bands recently (Brymir, Sworn, An Abstract Illusion, Keep of Kalessin), putting on these classics just takes you to another world, so it has me thinking, while these new bands are cool, they don't have the same impact the rest do.  I'm also really enjoying a lot of the songs you guys are sending so I'm really hoping some stick around as I'm also guilty of not really following through on past roulettes as mentioned.  I guess trying to delve into different styles would be the next step and I think that's the point of this roulette but I find as you all can see, if it's out of my wheelhouse, it just doesn't really interest me.  But, I'm making notes and will definitely try and intend to come back and even make efforts on ones that haven't been my usual style.  But all in all, I struggle with totally different genres and I don't see me changing.

Am I wrong in thinking that going into my 40's next month, the best days are behind me and any discoveries will never match what I already know and have connections with?  I know some of you can't relate to that yet, I'm just thinking out loud.  Plus, I'm interested to know if anyone has gotten roulette submissions that have cracked into the bucket that you associate with bands that have been lifechanging and take you back to a special place and feeling not many others can do.  If that's even possible.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1894 on: April 09, 2024, 06:54:29 PM »

Am I wrong in thinking that going into my 40's next month, the best days are behind me and any discoveries will never match what I already know and have connections with? 

I felt that way heading into the pandemic, that I had run across anything that would intrigue me or was new and exciting, that anything I came across would be just another iteration of what I'd been spinning for decades, especially with prog and prog metal.

Then I stumbled across this Japanese band Nemophila, and I'm still falling down that rabbit hole of endless, brilliant bands. We're never done with discovery, and I guarantee you your next rabbit hole will be one you never expected.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1895 on: April 09, 2024, 06:58:35 PM »
Great post Kade, and for me, it's kind of timely.

There's nothing that can replace those foundational music connections. I know that every now and then, I just need a break from finding new stuff. I'm in that now, and it kind of came out of nowhere a couple of weeks ago. I've been pretty much listening to old stuff, comfortable stuff. Stuff that gets neglected, for lack of a better word.

I turned 40 in 2008, and the last 15 years have been some of the most musically exploratory years of my life. I chalk it up to being here, talking music with like minded people.
But sometimes...I wouldn't call DTF listening competitive, but I feel like personally, I want to keep up my end and add to the conversations, to the recommendations, to the experience. And between that, work, and life, that can get tiring. It's actually good to take a step back and remember what it truly is about music that you love. I always feel reinvigorated after.

As far as following up after roulettes...there's very little that I get in roulettes that I have not at least sampled once, and generally, there's a reason that something is not banned. I do go back and listen to a number of songs from my roulettes, but I don't think I've ever really done a deep dive on anything.
I look at roulettes not so much as a way to discover new music, but more of a way to sample it. I don't have some well thought out end game for it. I mainly do it for the yuks and the brotherhood.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1896 on: April 09, 2024, 07:09:38 PM »
I felt that way heading into the pandemic, that I had run across anything that would intrigue me or was new and exciting, that anything I came across would be just another iteration of what I'd been spinning for decades, especially with prog and prog metal.

Then I stumbled across this Japanese band Nemophila, and I'm still falling down that rabbit hole of endless, brilliant bands. We're never done with discovery, and I guarantee you your next rabbit hole will be one you never expected.

Thanks RJ.  I am definitely seeing the rabbit hole you are falling down with your Japanese love but that's great.  What made this band so different to what you had heard previously and that made you discover a whole new channel of music and bands?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1897 on: April 09, 2024, 07:14:22 PM »
That was a great post Wolf.  Hopefully it now makes more sense why I only listen to classic rock and don't care about new music lol.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1898 on: April 09, 2024, 07:15:50 PM »
Great post Kade, and for me, it's kind of timely.

There's nothing that can replace those foundational music connections. I know that every now and then, I just need a break from finding new stuff. I'm in that now, and it kind of came out of nowhere a couple of weeks ago. I've been pretty much listening to old stuff, comfortable stuff. Stuff that gets neglected, for lack of a better word.

I turned 40 in 2008, and the last 15 years have been some of the most musically exploratory years of my life. I chalk it up to being here, talking music with like minded people.
But sometimes...I wouldn't call DTF listening competitive, but I feel like personally, I want to keep up my end and add to the conversations, to the recommendations, to the experience. And between that, work, and life, that can get tiring. It's actually good to take a step back and remember what it truly is about music that you love. I always feel reinvigorated after.

As far as following up after roulettes...there's very little that I get in roulettes that I have not at least sampled once, and generally, there's a reason that something is not banned. I do go back and listen to a number of songs from my roulettes, but I don't think I've ever really done a deep dive on anything.
I look at roulettes not so much as a way to discover new music, but more of a way to sample it. I don't have some well thought out end game for it. I mainly do it for the yuks and the brotherhood.

Cheers Tim.  This middle bolded paragraph is so true and encouraging.  It's great that the past 15 years have been some of the best, definitely hope.  I don't know why I feel like this and have done so for a while, but probably should have added that most of that post is probably a me thing and reflection on myself, especially the last couple of years.  Perhaps it's just my frame of mind with the whole being done with a musical journey thing.  I do know what you mean to about 'keeping up your end of the bargin,' so to speak.  I've often felt guilty that you in particular at a point a couple of years ago was giving me good shit after good shit and I didn't have anywhere near enough to give in return.  But that's a great, respectable attitude to have.

I'm putting the roulettes down more as a group of mates getting together and having a good session and enjoying themselves too, I think the connections and banter are as important as the music.

That first line you wrote, I think I also needed the confirmation from someone else.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1899 on: April 09, 2024, 07:16:53 PM »
That was a great post Wolf.  Hopefully it now makes more sense why I only listen to classic rock and don't care about new music lol.

Jason, I thought of you when writing that.  I have been thinking and was this morning in the car that, 'shit, maybe J is onto something here!'  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1900 on: April 09, 2024, 07:17:46 PM »
 :lol

why listen to new music when old school is so much better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1901 on: April 09, 2024, 07:19:45 PM »
Tim, you also used the word 'neglected,' and I think that's spot on.  Those bands that built our foundation and DNA sometimes get overlooked but when we go back and dive in again, you realize why in fact that are part of you and in your blood.  We don't mean to neglect them, I think I think about playing them more and go, 'nah, played that to death,' yet you do listen and it feels so fucking fresh and you also think, 'why do I need anything else,' this hits the spot and has done for years.

I guess it's all about just being open to.  While I am, it's hard to shake the influence and memories you associate with these bands.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: April 09, 2024, 07:21:40 PM »
:lol

why listen to new music when old school is so much better.

HA!!  I kinda just posted that in one way or another.

You could be onto something too.  The times these were created, the tools used to create them, it's all different now.  The old stuff you could feel and tell the bands were together, had the energy, now there's so much that sounds so sterile and you can tell more and more bands are producing things while sometimes not in the same country.  It can still be quality, but the pure esence of what it was all about seems to be lacking, for the most part.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1903 on: April 09, 2024, 07:24:22 PM »
Kade, I'd say just chill and enjoy the classics. My REAL goto albums never disappoint and it's just for me. Sometimes you just need a break. No pressure. No forcing yourself through something. Just recharging.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1904 on: April 09, 2024, 07:31:26 PM »
iI always feel like im on acid when i come into this thread..   I like that   :tup
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1905 on: April 09, 2024, 07:32:30 PM »
Kade, I'd say just chill and enjoy the classics. My REAL goto albums never disappoint and it's just for me. Sometimes you just need a break. No pressure. No forcing yourself through something. Just recharging.

Thanks mate.  Yeah, it has nothing to do with this roulette really.  I just noticed that when switching from 5 weeks of constant playlists to some classics.  I think I was more concerned that it's been more of a common and declining thing as time goes on for me.

I mean, if classics only is good enough for Jason, who the fuck am I to question!?

Was just interested in any takes on that and how roulette submissions have stacked up over time for others.  But maybe I am putting too much pressure on myself with it.  As I said, probably a me thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1906 on: April 09, 2024, 07:33:34 PM »
iI always feel like im on acid when i come into this thread..   I like that   :tup

So ironic when I've never touched a drug in my life.  :lol

Maybe I need some edibles, that may be my problem!?  :lol  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1907 on: April 09, 2024, 07:34:40 PM »
I am still interested if anyone has had received submissions that have made it to their fav band lists in the past.  I know I've given Chad some good ones which humbles me.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1908 on: April 09, 2024, 07:40:02 PM »
I am still interested if anyone has had received submissions that have made it to their fav band lists in the past.  I know I've given Chad some good ones which humbles me.

If I hadn't made discoveries in my previous roulettes, I wouldn't have wanted to run one. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1909 on: April 09, 2024, 07:43:19 PM »
Among people in general, by the time most hit 30 they're basically done with discovering new music.  They might find the occasional thing here and there, but generally the window has closed.  A lot of the people here are very much the exception rather than the norm. 

I go through periods where I'm not that interested in checking out anything new, though I generally come back to it eventually.  I've been hitting it pretty hard the last few years in particular, so I'm probably due for such a period at some point.  I try and keep it somewhat balanced and frequently have more familiar music in the rotation, which helps. 

I like to think having cultivated an interest in a variety of different styles over the years has helped me from getting too burned out on anything in particular, though it could just be a difference in how people are wired, and can create other listening challenges as well. 

I feel like I had kind of hit this point somewhat half a dozen years ago, where it just seemed like nothing new I was discovering compared to anything I already knew about, but since then a few artists in particular have sent me in unexpected directions and renewed my interest in exploration in general.  You never know if that breakthrough is right around the corner. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1910 on: April 09, 2024, 07:45:48 PM »
If I hadn't made discoveries in my previous roulettes, I wouldn't have wanted to run one.

Fair enough.  Could go both ways, you're keen to run one because you've made good discoveries but on the other hand one may want to run more to try and find that one thing or two that sticks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1911 on: April 09, 2024, 07:46:55 PM »

Short answer, yes. Longer answer later.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1912 on: April 09, 2024, 07:48:29 PM »
Was just interested in any takes on that and how roulette submissions have stacked up over time for others.

I am still interested if anyone has had received submissions that have made it to their fav band lists in the past. 

Curiously enough, there's a thread topic I've been pondering starting for the past week that is quite related to this and might be even more timely now.  I might toss it up tomorrow. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1913 on: April 09, 2024, 07:49:37 PM »
Among people in general, by the time most hit 30 they're basically done with discovering new music.  They might find the occasional thing here and there, but generally the window has closed.  A lot of the people here are very much the exception rather than the norm. 

I go through periods where I'm not that interested in checking out anything new, though I generally come back to it eventually.  I've been hitting it pretty hard the last few years in particular, so I'm probably due for such a period at some point.  I try and keep it somewhat balanced and frequently have more familiar music in the rotation, which helps. 

I like to think having cultivated an interest in a variety of different styles over the years has helped me from getting too burned out on anything in particular, though it could just be a difference in how people are wired, and can create other listening challenges as well. 

I feel like I had kind of hit this point somewhat half a dozen years ago, where it just seemed like nothing new I was discovering compared to anything I already knew about, but since then a few artists in particular have sent me in unexpected directions and renewed my interest in exploration in general.  You never know if that breakthrough is right around the corner.

Nice post Josh, thanks.  It's encouraging to hear we all go through those lull periods.  Burnout is a good word, I never wanted to admit it but after years of running on fumes I think I did hit a level of burnout which carried over which is why I said it's a 'me' thing also.

I guess people stop discovering music around that 30 year old mark because priorities change, people have families and something like music just isn't the focus anymore.  We are here a general exception to the rule you are correct and that's probably why we have such a good tight little community here.

You are right though I guess, you never know when something new is around the corner.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: April 09, 2024, 07:50:34 PM »
Curiously enough, there's a thread topic I've been pondering starting for the past week that is quite related to this and might be even more timely now.  I might toss it up tomorrow.

Nice mate, go for it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1915 on: April 09, 2024, 08:16:38 PM »
Thanks RJ.  I am definitely seeing the rabbit hole you are falling down with your Japanese love but that's great.  What made this band so different to what you had heard previously and that made you discover a whole new channel of music and bands?

Primarily it was timing...I found them in the really shit part of the pandemic, and with everything seeming to crumble in the world, here was these 5 adorable Japanese ladies who like clockwork were releasing new and cover videos every Friday. For months they did this, that's how they managed to garner a huge following even though they only had two live shows when the world shut down.

The big attraction specifically for them was just the positivity of the music...maybe that's something I needed. No more dark and brooding, they just attacked everything with a positive spin. Plus musically Nemophila were solid across the board. As I dove deeper, I found that all the Japanese bands had that positive edge, across the board. And, they were all brilliantly skilled and polished, even with the multitude of styles (Band Maid- Hard rock, Nemophila- Nu metal/metal core, Hanabie- kuwaii core, Gacharic Spin- who the fuck knows...). Whatever the combination of elements that the bands brought, it was so new and refreshing for me, and sparked my musical passion for the first time that brightly since I started writing for Nem over ten years ago.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1916 on: April 09, 2024, 08:25:45 PM »
I'm turning 40 this year too, but my experience is much closer to Josh's. I for sure have periods of wanting the familiar, although these days that tends to be short bursts lasting a few days, and then it's back to my love of exploration. I don't really see it slowing down any tune soon. Like Josh says though, having a wide musical pallette definitely helps keep things from getting too narrow or stale.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1917 on: April 09, 2024, 08:27:24 PM »
Primarily it was timing...I found them in the really shit part of the pandemic, and with everything seeming to crumble in the world, here was these 5 adorable Japanese ladies who like clockwork were releasing new and cover videos every Friday. For months they did this, that's how they managed to garner a huge following even though they only had two live shows when the world shut down.

The big attraction specifically for them was just the positivity of the music...maybe that's something I needed. No more dark and brooding, they just attacked everything with a positive spin. Plus musically Nemophila were solid across the board. As I dove deeper, I found that all the Japanese bands had that positive edge, across the board. And, they were all brilliantly skilled and polished, even with the multitude of styles (Band Maid- Hard rock, Nemophila- Nu metal/metal core, Hanabie- kuwaii core, Gacharic Spin- who the fuck knows...). Whatever the combination of elements that the bands brought, it was so new and refreshing for me, and sparked my musical passion for the first time that brightly since I started writing for Nem over ten years ago.

Nice, thanks for the post RJ.  Yes, since I've been checking Takayohi and Galneryus lately I can see the positivity throughout the entire culture and music scene so can definitely understand it being so refreshing. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1918 on: April 09, 2024, 08:29:50 PM »
I'm turning 40 this year too, but my experience is much closer to Josh's. I for sure have periods of wanting the familiar, although these days that tends to be short bursts lasting a few days, and then it's back to my love of exploration. I don't really see it slowing down any tune soon. Like Josh says though, having a wide musical pallette definitely helps keep things from getting too narrow or stale.

:tup

I do put what I down to my somewhat boxed in taste in regards to styles too, but you like what you like eh.

i really like your posts with your roulette too going back and updating where you stand after discovering the bands some more.  I'm hoping to try and emulate that a little.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1919 on: April 09, 2024, 09:13:22 PM »
Ok... long answer.

I don't think it's an age thing - I ran my first roulette in 2012, so I would've been approaching 41.  I think it's a 'stage-of-life' thing.  For me, my first phase of musical discovery was from 1986 to 1992.  But then I didn't do much of any musical discovery between 1992 and 2005 - 92-96 I was away at Uni; 97-99 I started dating mrs.jingle; 99-05 we got married and started the jingle.family.  Once the jingle.kids hit 5 years old and were in school and much more self sufficient, I had at least a little disposable time to myself, and that's when my second phase of musical discovery kicked in.  It was pretty insatiable for a long time.  This year it's seemed come to a bit of a grinding halt - I've only bought 2 albums so far, and maybe another 5 or so saved on Spotify.

I certainly did discover many many fantastic new bands and albums in the 2010s / in my 40s - many were courtesy of DTF recommendations, and a lot thru my roulettes* (still making my way thru the submissions I got back in Dec/Jan).  I'm not sure how I could rank these discoveries against my most favorite bands and albums from my first phase of music discovery - like, how do I compare Circus of the Tattered and Torn against Bat Out Of Hell?  Magnus Karlsson against Triumph?  How would Tim compare Theocracy against Alice Cooper?  Those bands and albums have 30+ years of history with me, whereas roulette and DTF recommended music has (at most) half of that.  I can fully understand the notion of comfort and familiarity with the bands that we each have from our own initial indoctrination to music.  It's something special for sure.  But newer discoveries can also be pretty special - hell, I just discovered a bitching instrumental act as a result of trying to solve Indi's bizarro clues.  And Nuclear Power Trio is something that I go to with some regularity.

However, I'm am finding it harder and harder to keep up my pace of musical discovery; every band and album I add to my inventory reduces the time I might be able to spend with my existing loves - and I still want to spend time with the great music I already own.  Until someone finds a way to give me more hours in a day, that's only going to continue to get worse.  I think THAT is why I'm getting far more picky and selective about what I end up buying/saving nowadays.  I get the sense that you (Kade) are approaching that point about 10 years ahead of my schedule.
So, to answer your question, in my 40s, I got LOTS of great music from roulette's that still sticks with me to this day.  I will respectfully disagree with JJ that the 'old school' is "so much better".  It's not better, just has a different effect on me.  There's still a metric shit-ton of great new music available to listen to - in fact, it's never been easier to find and consume with so many distribution avenues for artists; YT, Bandcamp, Spotify, Apple, Amazon etc. 

Now Shut Up And Rock!

*as you touched on, you own 3 of the top 4 songs I was ever sent in my first four roulettes.  Also, I purchased the album (and in many cases, the entire discography) from 21 out of the top 25 roulette songs I received.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1920 on: April 09, 2024, 10:45:39 PM »
Thanks for that detailed reply Chad.  I'll add my thoughts to some of that later when I'm at home on my PC and not my phone.

Oh....and approaching that phase 10 years ahead of schedule?  My fogey status has certainly been confirmed now then.  ;D :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1921 on: April 10, 2024, 07:23:49 AM »
Am I wrong in thinking that going into my 40's next month, the best days are behind me and any discoveries will never match what I already know and have connections with?  I know some of you can't relate to that yet, I'm just thinking out loud.  Plus, I'm interested to know if anyone has gotten roulette submissions that have cracked into the bucket that you associate with bands that have been lifechanging and take you back to a special place and feeling not many others can do.  If that's even possible.
Well, I'm not 40 yet (though I'm on the downhill of 30, so be there soon).

For me, I've gone through periods that I find it hard to enjoy new music, mainly because as you stated, it feels like a variation of something I already heard and it just doesn't feel...fresh I guess. But every so often I encounter something that sticks. I'm still going through the artists that were submitted in my roulette, and there are a handful or artists that I immediately added all their albums to my library. A few others I'm enjoying a lot of their stuff, just not everything. A handful I am still cautiously curious about, so giving them a second chance.

I think for me, I just don't shy away from trying new music, even if it is an artist, genre or style I don't normally like. 90% of the time it doesn't stick with me, but I still try it because you never know.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1922 on: April 10, 2024, 09:03:23 AM »

Ayreon, though it's a stretch to say they are on my "fav band list"; but I have purchased a couple of Ayreon disks and some of them are stellar records that I would listen to more if it was actively listening to anything these days.

But let me respond to your first post: I will be blunt here:  I struggle with roullettes.  I send the same shit every time, because I don't have a ton of "new bands" that I get into. And of the other stuff that's sent?  I'll be honest: I hear a LOT of shit out there. Some of you listen to some shitty "music" bro, and no mistake.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)   Why listen to a DT knock-off when I can listen to DT?  Why listen to second-rate Sabbath imitators when I can put on "Spiral Architect" and hear it done right?  I can confidently say that the ONLY band whose knock offs have really risen to the level is The Beatles; both Cheap Trick and Oasis - who unabashedly owe a LOT to the Fab Four - are both personal favorites that I listen to regularly.

Then again, there are breakthroughs. I watched Jay Buchanan of Rival Sons on stage on Jools Holland's show and thought "THAT guy is a star; I need to hear more of his music".    Neal Morse is top three favorite artists now (though I didn't rank him as such on our poll for... reasons) and I've almost entirely gotten into him in the last 10 years or so, through Mike and this site. 

I think one way of looking at it is from a different perspective.  Don't worry about whether anything is "set" or not, but recognize that you have a good - dare I say, GREAT - base from which to start and that at this point you listen to music for pleasure. Don't worry about whether you SHOULD like it or not, or worry about things that don't matter like "whether it's new or not". Who cares? Worry about whether it moves your unit.  I remember really struggling with "why don't I like Radiohead?" and "why don't I like "Grace Under Pressure?"   To the point I bought like four Radiohead records and immersed myself in it. TO THIS DAY, I listen to p/g through about once a quarter or so to make sure I didn't miss anything.    And I'm comfortable now that, no, I didn't miss anything.  In my world, Radiohead blows, Thom Yorke is overrated, and Rush stumbled with p/g.  It is what it is.  I don't lose a minute of sleep over it, I just go put on Pink Floyd (a far superior version of Radiohead, and their progenitors) or Signals and enjoy my life.   

Ironically, that approach has opened more doors for me than any roulette.  I now have a whole genre of music - well, two actually - that I can delve into in those odd occasions (rare for me) where I need "something new".   Country (old school) and pop (Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, etc.).   Not all of it is good, but no genre is "all good".   And I'm happy, which is all that matters.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1923 on: April 10, 2024, 09:11:42 AM »

That was the spark for me and Neal Morse.  I don't necessarily buy into the full message there, but I'm also able to filter.  I sent "Supernatural" to my therapist (it was part of our discussion) and she picked up on the religiosity of it immediately but I said I don't hear it that way.  Wherever you put in "God", I put in "love" and "the spirit of our life here on earth" and it's INCREDIBLY uplifting.  Dare I say, his music makes me actively HAPPY.   It's why Going For The One is my favorite album of all time; it is EXCEEDINGLY positive (and BTW, I mentioned that to Jon Anderson the one time I met him). 

In my old age, I've come to embrace that idea of "being the person/change/whatever I want to be".  If I'm in a shitty mood and don't want to be there, I can change it, and music is a big part of that.   

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1924 on: April 10, 2024, 09:25:05 AM »
Ayreon, though it's a stretch to say they are on my "fav band list"; but I have purchased a couple of Ayreon disks and some of them are stellar records that I would listen to more if it was actively listening to anything these days.

But let me respond to your first post: I will be blunt here:  I struggle with roullettes.  I send the same shit every time, because I don't have a ton of "new bands" that I get into. And of the other stuff that's sent?  I'll be honest: I hear a LOT of shit out there. Some of you listen to some shitty "music" bro, and no mistake.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)   Why listen to a DT knock-off when I can listen to DT?  Why listen to second-rate Sabbath imitators when I can put on "Spiral Architect" and hear it done right?  I can confidently say that the ONLY band whose knock offs have really risen to the level is The Beatles; both Cheap Trick and Oasis - who unabashedly owe a LOT to the Fab Four - are both personal favorites that I listen to regularly.

Then again, there are breakthroughs. I watched Jay Buchanan of Rival Sons on stage on Jools Holland's show and thought "THAT guy is a star; I need to hear more of his music".    Neal Morse is top three favorite artists now (though I didn't rank him as such on our poll for... reasons) and I've almost entirely gotten into him in the last 10 years or so, through Mike and this site. 

I think one way of looking at it is from a different perspective.  Don't worry about whether anything is "set" or not, but recognize that you have a good - dare I say, GREAT - base from which to start and that at this point you listen to music for pleasure. Don't worry about whether you SHOULD like it or not, or worry about things that don't matter like "whether it's new or not". Who cares? Worry about whether it moves your unit.  I remember really struggling with "why don't I like Radiohead?" and "why don't I like "Grace Under Pressure?"   To the point I bought like four Radiohead records and immersed myself in it. TO THIS DAY, I listen to p/g through about once a quarter or so to make sure I didn't miss anything.    And I'm comfortable now that, no, I didn't miss anything.  In my world, Radiohead blows, Thom Yorke is overrated, and Rush stumbled with p/g.  It is what it is.  I don't lose a minute of sleep over it, I just go put on Pink Floyd (a far superior version of Radiohead, and their progenitors) or Signals and enjoy my life.   

Ironically, that approach has opened more doors for me than any roulette.  I now have a whole genre of music - well, two actually - that I can delve into in those odd occasions (rare for me) where I need "something new".   Country (old school) and pop (Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, etc.).   Not all of it is good, but no genre is "all good".   And I'm happy, which is all that matters.

<smashes the Like button>