Author Topic: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Round 2 album listening commenced  (Read 45947 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll take it! Although holy shit that's a lot of 9s :lol

The chorus melody in my song is a real earworm too. The album is solid but this is definitely the most memorable and instant song which is why I picked it.

I'll send Round 2 this evening, in about 14 hours.

Edit: also good to know about metalcore, I had a song or two lined up as a possibility.

I was a little surprised at the 9s too.  Although 3 were tipped into that category from bonus points.  You did it without any perks so kudos to you.  Will be checking the full album of these guys too for sure mate.

No worries, still another 18 hours that I'd like to start listening and get some hangman shenanigans going.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A combination of black metal and shoegaze (and sometimes post-rock).  Early Alcest and Deafheaven were the main flagbearers for it.

No idea what shoelace is also lol.  Plus I don't know either of those bands fwiw.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Sent for round 2. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's not that I actively dislike metalcore, it's just out of all the sub genres of metal, it's the one I relate to the least and a lot verges on it being angry, over the top and 'noisy' just for the sake of it?  Maybe it's the fogey coming out in me.  I can listen to a little but I lose interest quite quickly.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
A combination of black metal and shoegaze (and sometimes post-rock).  Early Alcest and Deafheaven were the main flagbearers for it.

No idea what shoelace is also lol.  Plus I don't know either of those bands fwiw.

Shoegaze is kind of like alternative rock, but noisier and more soundscapey. 

This (Alcest - "Protection") is pretty representative of blackgaze. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cMNQWFAWoQ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Shoelace :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Wearing untied shoelaces in a shoegaze band would be disastrous. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'll take it!!!!  I was fully convinced my submission was going to be bottom 3, so to be in the top half is quite a pleasant surprise.  :fistpump:

Now to send another favorite vocalist - though I'm mildly surprised he didn't make your top 25 list.

Edit:  Actually fuck!  The one song I really REALLY, REALLY want/need to send really only fits into the theme of this round.  Say, any penalty for completely disregarding themes?  Asking for a friend.   :lol

If it only fits this round, why can't you send it?

Don't forget there's an open round too.

Because there was another song that I wanted to send that really only fits this round.  :lol

My choice for the open round is already locked in.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Shit! I thought those vocals were a bit of a risk, but 3.5 😬

Frustratingly, I very nearly sent the exact round winning song! Guess I'll play it a bit safer this round, and I'm 99% sure on what I'm sending.

As for blackgaze/shoegaze, Astronoid falls under kinda dreamy blackgaze, so even though I think a band like Alcest would be more up your street I'd be cautious :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v3. V. Kip is impressed.
« Reply #569 on: March 13, 2024, 02:29:40 AM »

Indiscipline - Matteo Mancuso - Drop D

Bonus point - Jon Roth award - 0.5 points

Right from the start this had me grooving.  This laid back sorta style isn't normally my thing, but there was nothing here to dislike.  Andy Timmons, some Satch, Alex Hutchings, some Guthrie at times, lots of influences here.  I have no idea who this kid but he is definitely class.  Everything he's doing seems melodic and within the scope of what's going on in the music behind him.  A lot of what he's doing is pretty simplistic, but the song has that knack of creating an earworm for the brain.  It's that moment of the melody where he hits that natural sixth degree really accentuating the Dorian mode and feel of the tune and style.  The moment where the backing hits the Eflat chord also is a nice bit of colour again to the tune.  He works over that arpeggio nicely too.  Love the shift to the end solo where he lets rip, and I like where the Dorian accentuation was in the first half he keeps it flat minor to let rip.  That same part straight after where it hits the Eflat again it sounds like he's still ripping over D minor but it's so quick it's hard to tell.  Probably D Phyrigan maybe and just swapping the E natural to E flat.  I'll look forward to checking out more from him.  Again, not my usual style, but I enjoyed this each listen.  You'd also think this would get my Reb Beach award but I'm giving it the Jon Roth award, as the backing and tones for the rhythm guitars plus the space around that bass solo in the middle is all class and makes the song even better.

Score - 8.5 + 0.5 = 9.0

Very glad you liked it, I was sure it would have tingled your guitar sense at the very least. The kid is indeed pretty good and - fun fact - everything you hear is un-picked: he plays classical-style with his right hand.

(And sent)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 03:18:11 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Shoelace :lol

Fucking autocorrect!  :lol

I won't check that link either incase someone wanted to send them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll take it!!!!  I was fully convinced my submission was going to be bottom 3, so to be in the top half is quite a pleasant surprise.  :fistpump:

Now to send another favorite vocalist - though I'm mildly surprised he didn't make your top 25 list.

Edit:  Actually fuck!  The one song I really REALLY, REALLY want/need to send really only fits into the theme of this round.  Say, any penalty for completely disregarding themes?  Asking for a friend.   :lol

Because there was another song that I wanted to send that really only fits this round.  :lol

Don't forget everyone gets one automatic wildcard outside of winning hangman.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: March 13, 2024, 04:14:34 AM »

Indiscipline - Matteo Mancuso - Drop D

Bonus point - Jon Roth award - 0.5 points

Right from the start this had me grooving.  This laid back sorta style isn't normally my thing, but there was nothing here to dislike.  Andy Timmons, some Satch, Alex Hutchings, some Guthrie at times, lots of influences here.  I have no idea who this kid but he is definitely class.  Everything he's doing seems melodic and within the scope of what's going on in the music behind him.  A lot of what he's doing is pretty simplistic, but the song has that knack of creating an earworm for the brain.  It's that moment of the melody where he hits that natural sixth degree really accentuating the Dorian mode and feel of the tune and style.  The moment where the backing hits the Eflat chord also is a nice bit of colour again to the tune.  He works over that arpeggio nicely too.  Love the shift to the end solo where he lets rip, and I like where the Dorian accentuation was in the first half he keeps it flat minor to let rip.  That same part straight after where it hits the Eflat again it sounds like he's still ripping over D minor but it's so quick it's hard to tell.  Probably D Phyrigan maybe and just swapping the E natural to E flat.  I'll look forward to checking out more from him.  Again, not my usual style, but I enjoyed this each listen.  You'd also think this would get my Reb Beach award but I'm giving it the Jon Roth award, as the backing and tones for the rhythm guitars plus the space around that bass solo in the middle is all class and makes the song even better.

Score - 8.5 + 0.5 = 9.0

Very glad you liked it, I was sure it would have tingled your guitar sense at the very least. The kid is indeed pretty good and - fun fact - everything you hear is un-picked: he plays classical-style with his right hand.

(And sent)

Wow, that is impressive.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Frustratingly, I very nearly sent the exact round winning song! Guess I'll play it a bit safer this round, and I'm 99% sure on what I'm sending.

As for blackgaze/shoegaze, Astronoid falls under kinda dreamy blackgaze, so even though I think a band like Alcest would be more up your street I'd be cautious :lol

Oof!!

Yeah, probably a bit harsh mate I'm sorry and I tried each time but it just got more annoying.  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
My boys Obsidian Kingdom doing well again eh? :corn
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
My boys Obsidian Kingdom doing well again eh? :corn

Wonderful song.  If you joined you could have been in first place right now.

Offline twosuitsluke

Oof!!

Yeah, probably a bit harsh mate I'm sorry and I tried each time but it just got more annoying.  :lol

No need to apologise at all, you hated it, and I can only attempt to learn from that :lol

It proves my theory that if you are leading in one roulette (actually I'm somehow leading in two currently) then you are destined to be dead last in another.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #577 on: March 13, 2024, 06:18:16 AM »
Lonk - Black Anvil - Margin For Terror

Yeah, just really solid black metal.

So, this is a pretty standard, safe submission.  There's nothing more I can really say except it's solid, and it's solid each time I listen to it.  I certainly enjoyed it more each listen and I appreciate the rawness of the sound and performances here.  That gives the whole thing a great, almost stripped back atmosphere.  I do enjoy the mix of styles as while I keep mentioning black metal for this one, the riffs has elements of doom to them at times which is great for it's diversity.  It also goes into some Megadeth/Metallica type riffing too which was really cool and breaks things up even more.  I could easily listen to a full album of this.  I can't score it any less, but probably can't score it more either.  it's a shame it's just below the middle of the pack because I really did like this a lot.

Score - 7.75

Yeah, that's fair. As I mentioned, I probably should've saved this band for a later round, since I think their writing gets better. But for the first round I wanted something a little more straight forward  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Don't forget everyone gets one automatic wildcard outside of winning hangman.

Oh yeah... right!!!  The TAC Wildcard rule.

Thanks TAC  :tup
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

Oh yeah, I get a bonus wildcard that I've got to use this round right?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Based on last round, you're gonna need it!  :neverusethis:   :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Offline twosuitsluke

No truer word spoken in this roulette so far!

Offline romdrums

Ouch, not the start I was hoping for!

Sent for Round 2.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline twosuitsluke

Sent my two songs  :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, I'm done with the day. Sending in a hour after I'll fix something to eat.

Edit: sent!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:13:10 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Traveling today; have it tomorrow at some point.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Oh c'mon man...

;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh c'mon man...

;D

Not unfair, but I can't get to Spotify through my work network. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh c'mon man...

;D

You can just PM Wolfking the band and song. He doesn't need the link.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh c'mon man...

;D

This.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh c'mon man...

;D

I did that when I post the "tomorrow" note, I just didn't want to hang Wolfie out to dry if it wasn't acceptable.  I'm in if it's good with him.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh c'mon man...

;D

I did that when I post the "tomorrow" note, I just didn't want to hang Wolfie out to dry if it wasn't acceptable.  I'm in if it's good with him.

It's good with him.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It is.  Everyone that submitted over night is good.

Going out for my morning run now and will come back in an hour and collate received songs and do a roll call on who is left to submit.  Since Indis mindfuck session is in full swing, I'll hold off my hangman til Friday til he is done.