Author Topic: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Round 2 album listening commenced  (Read 40717 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Round 7 First Impressions
« Reply #2450 on: April 28, 2024, 05:29:44 PM »
Damnations Day only has 2 albums - hit 'em both.

Noted.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2451 on: April 28, 2024, 05:30:50 PM »
I think Manticora is going to be way more up your alley overall than Darkest Hour.

I can see what you're saying based on the songs.  That Darkest Hour song was really good though.  I'll be checking both but based on what you say will start with the Manticora.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2452 on: April 28, 2024, 07:05:51 PM »
I think Manticora is going to be way more up your alley overall than Darkest Hour.

He might as well check out something from both of them.  Manticora at times leans into more traditional power/prog tropes (part of why I sent them to jingle :lol ), but they have a bit more of an edge which appeals to me, and maybe to wolfking as well.  But then Darkest Hour on one hand is heavily inspired by the 90s Gothenburg bands (to the point of recording Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation in Sweden with Fredrik Nordstrom and featuring a few guests in the scene), yet they also have metalcore leanings throughout.  Undoing Ruin is what really hit for me (and produced by Devin Townsend). 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2453 on: April 28, 2024, 07:27:49 PM »
He might as well check out something from both of them.  Manticora at times leans into more traditional power/prog tropes (part of why I sent them to jingle :lol ), but they have a bit more of an edge which appeals to me, and maybe to wolfking as well.  But then Darkest Hour on one hand is heavily inspired by the 90s Gothenburg bands (to the point of recording Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation in Sweden with Fredrik Nordstrom and featuring a few guests in the scene), yet they also have metalcore leanings throughout.  Undoing Ruin is what really hit for me (and produced by Devin Townsend).

This was just an ititial list to start with to give everyone participant a look in.  I'll dive deeper into more bands, these were just my first thoughts.  I think definitely both of those bands would be quite appealing to me.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2454 on: April 28, 2024, 07:55:42 PM »
I think Fair To Midland is a good choice, their discography is pretty small but they are one of favorite bands!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2455 on: April 28, 2024, 07:56:39 PM »
I think Fair To Midland is a good choice, their discography is pretty small but they are one of favorite bands!

I found your song of theirs pretty interesting to be honest.  I'm definitely keen to hear what they are about.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2456 on: April 28, 2024, 09:49:18 PM »
Litho - The Offering

Dunno if you're into music videos, but the song I sent, "The Ultraviolence", does have one if you hadn't stumbled upon it already, plus a separate playthrough of the guitar solo (as well as another for bass for the whole song). 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2457 on: April 29, 2024, 12:29:07 AM »
Definitely agree with Electric Pentagram for Lovebites, easily their best in my opinion, great balance of crunch, melody and fun.

For Gillion, he only has two solo albums so far and they're a little different. Arcade Metal is more of a guitar showcase but it's also an incredibly fun ode to video game music, with tons of good hooks and guest solos. His debut is more proggy, sort of dark fairytale vibe, cool in a different sort of way. I'd probably say do Arcade Metal first.

His next album, whenever he finishes it, is going to be a melodeath one.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: April 29, 2024, 03:53:54 AM »
Dunno if you're into music videos, but the song I sent, "The Ultraviolence", does have one if you hadn't stumbled upon it already, plus a separate playthrough of the guitar solo (as well as another for bass for the whole song).

Already checked that out mate after a couple of days of listening to it haha.  Killer stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2459 on: April 29, 2024, 03:55:05 AM »
Definitely agree with Electric Pentagram for Lovebites, easily their best in my opinion, great balance of crunch, melody and fun.

For Gillion, he only has two solo albums so far and they're a little different. Arcade Metal is more of a guitar showcase but it's also an incredibly fun ode to video game music, with tons of good hooks and guest solos. His debut is more proggy, sort of dark fairytale vibe, cool in a different sort of way. I'd probably say do Arcade Metal first.

His next album, whenever he finishes it, is going to be a melodeath one.

Awesome mate, I'll more than likely check out both but will start with AM.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2460 on: April 29, 2024, 05:36:21 PM »
Writeups are getting done now.  Should be up in an hour or so.  This is quite a consistently high round in the scoring.  While there's so much here not normally for me, I've actually really enjoyed most of what's on offer here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2461 on: April 29, 2024, 05:49:40 PM »
I'm also shocked at how high a lot of these songs are rating.  Didn't see it coming, worthy round for me.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2462 on: April 29, 2024, 05:58:54 PM »
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard 10/10 confirmed

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2463 on: April 29, 2024, 06:24:07 PM »
Only 3 member awards and only half a point each this time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2464 on: April 29, 2024, 06:28:33 PM »
Looking at this, I've been really generous with a lot of the scores but I think that comes down to just sheer appreciation in the submissions and giving me a lot of different music.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2465 on: April 29, 2024, 06:29:57 PM »
I'm also shocked at how high a lot of these songs are rating.  Didn't see it coming, worthy round for me.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2466 on: April 29, 2024, 06:44:16 PM »
Round 7 Results!!!

Shadow Ninja - Homestuck - Moonsetter

I can tell there's a real connetion to this series and fully understand why you'd send this.  At first I didn't but I get it.  It would be like me sending you the music from the Flying Battery zone or Lava Reef zone from Sonic the Hedgehog.  You'd listen and think WTF, but to me those game soundtracks just take me back to childhood and the nostalgia is real and safe.  So if it's the same, I really get it.  So, I can't score too harshly.

Score - 7.0

Reaper - Kaki King - Happy As A Dead Pig In The Sunshine

The acoustic side of the guitar was something I could never get into, I just found it boring.  So, this was pleasant enough and she certainly has good chops and a good sense of melody and especially rhythm too.  The rhythm in this is what stuck out the most.  I can appreciate what's going on here but I'm not one to go back an listen to more of this stuff.  It's a shame I can't as I should one day expand what I can do on the guitar because this would be harder than any shred solo you could give me so props to her.  Solid but nothing I'm coming back to unless my tastes really change.  Appreciate the submission though.

Score - 7.5

Lonk - Alestorm - Drink

This reminded me of a Children of Bodom cover in a lot of ways straight off the bat.  Now, I know the band name but didn't know they were quite like this.  I like the submission based on positive criteria, that was quite amusing.  All in all it was a fun listen, I didn't have any issues with it.  The chorus was surprisingly catchy though and some entertaining lyrics.  This is a hard one to rate, it's just a novelty I know, but it's fun, appreciate the thought process behind it. 

Score - 7.75

Litho - Non-Human Level - Windows on the World

Litho going for the word criteria to avoid the positivity so definitely something different for the round.  I'm not sure being different from the rest helps it though.  This is pretty good melodeath but just feels like another band that play solid, generic melodeath.  There is certainly nothing new here that I haven't heard before.  Saying that, I appreciated everything here, the groove is nice and the longer solo section had some cool shit going on.  Not much more to say, solid.

Score - 8.0

lonestar - Nemophila - AMA-TE-RAS

Props for picking this for the subject matter.  This definitely has a positive party like vibe going on in it which is cool.  The verses were a bit too funky for me but I appreciated the heaviness of the guitars and the slight growls here and there.  The chorus was fun and pretty catchy.  I'm sure something like this would have been a decent hit over there.  The middle nu-metal bit was great and her vocals here are awesome, would have liked more of this.  It's a fine song.  Not sure it's something I'd explore but appreciate the submission.

Score - 8.0

Puppies - Moon Safari - Forever, For You

Firstly, kudos to you for absolutely nailing the theme.  This certainly was a very uplifting bright piece.  As mentioned in the impressions, this though goes a little too far out of my comfort zone.  I don't really hear synth era Rush in this at all, to me this sounds like something really 70's to me.  Don't get me wrong, it's nice and pleasant but a bit too....fluffy for me.  But there were things I really enjoyed, that sax solo was wonderful and the guitar solo around 7:30 was really tremendous.  Love the change in vibe here, that was wonderful.  A ballsy submission I congratulate you and I think your score was helped by how well you nailed the theme.

Score - 8.0

romdrums - Mutemath - Typical

This was another easy listening piece that was enjoyable having on in the background but the melodies were enough to prick my ears.  The verses remind me of the whole American 90's scene and even the chorus which is really pleasant and catchy reminds me a little of that scene.  The melodies here are really nice and the whole vibe is excellent and I really enjoyed it.  It kind of doesn't get out of first gear though and I'm not sure if that's a bad thing as the performances and production are pleasant enough to carry it through.  The main guitar riff is very hooky too and in between the chorus melodies it all works nicely.  Probably not as impactful as some of the other submissions, but I didn't mind this at all.

Score - 8.25

Indi - DarWin - Eternal Life

Member award bonus - Reb Beach

This one I was torn on.  There is certainly a strong vibe going through this round with the more laid back styles with nice chorus melodies.  This one fits that bill too.  I'm not the biggest fan of the vocals here and the verses either were hit or miss.  The chorus warmed on me though as the listens went on.  The more you listen to the more it sticks with you, but then that double time change into that Guthrie solo, holy shit, that's where its at.  I actually think the rest of the song is probably better than what I'm saying it is because its contrasted to this solo section.  Govan steals the show here, this guy is a genius.  So, has to get the Reb Beach award right?

Score - 8.0 + 0.5 = 8.5

Stadler - The Who - Love Reign O'er Me

As mentioned, I'm not a Who fan, but they are another old school band that I don't mind when they come on the radio but never delved any further.  I only knew this song from the Redemption cover but I'd have to go back, but this is probably better.  Definitely has a calm, thick atmosphere.  Not sure I really feel the positive vibes but I can see it from that side.  I just think the atmosphere of the whole thing leaves more of a moodier darker vibe for me.  It's a great song, I can't say anything bad here.  maybe I should add a Who album to my list to check out afterwards too. 

Score - 8.5

ariich - Equilibrium - Die Weide und der Fluss

I've seen this name quite a lot and thought they were more folkish metal which we have seen can be hit or miss.  I'm fine with the folkish elements being tied the theme here even though, the melodies give off that viking heroic like theme which is cool.  Once it gets going though, this was fun.  The vocals here are really strong and mix nicely with the major key melodies, more than they usually would for me.  I think they have a good knack here in creating uplifting melodies but still draping everything in some darkish tones which is well done.  I enjoyed the sped up middle section too, quite epic.  All in all,  while pretty standard for the style, I still found a lot to like here.  Cool key change near the end too and a nice gallop to finish.

Score - 8.75

Dr. DTVT - Marillion - Rich

Now I know you said this was something different from them but I may actually own a Marillion album but I can't recall a thing from them.  Anyway the relevance is is that this isn't what I expected.  This sounds heavily influenced by the 90's Brit pop thing so I looked it up and no surprise this came out in 1999,  Anyway, not the biggest fan of the verses but that chorus is catchy as hell, really nice.  Appreciate the little guitar solo in there too to break it up.  It could have been cut down a little in length but can see what they were going for.  Great production, great performances and that chorus is wonderful.  Cool submission indeed.  Might have to find that CD I have somewhere.

Score - 8.75

Evermind - Pshycework

Both songs you sent were probably on a par to be honest but this one got the chocolates.  As mentioned I can tell you struggled with the theme but I gave you a pass here because your main submission would have worked fine.  Now, this is pretty solid ripping prog metal.  It's the generic prog metal I said I was over but I still really enjoyed this one quite a bit.  The vocalist is very strong and the riffing is quite cool, especially during the verses, quite intricate and understated.  Halfway through I get Angra vibes too with that chorus like section before the solo.  The guitar melodies here are quite good too.  The darker solo section was a nice change of pace and some really simple but cool playing here.  Overall, this was great but didnt quite blow me away.  The full album though I think will be worth a spin.

Score - 8.75

Crow - The Hirsch Effekt - Agitation

The more I listened to this one, the more I enjoyed it.  When that arpreggiated guitar opens up I knew I could sit back and really enjoy the next 9 minutes.  It in no way feels 9 minutes either.  The verse groove that starts at 1:37 is fantastic, love that.  I really am not the biggest fan of music sung in other languages but I didn't care here.  To me the vocals and melodies for some reason feel like another instrument and the singers voice is fantastic especially in that soaring chorus part.  Probably not a positive song on a whole but it made me feel safe and comfortable which is fine by me.  The whole thing just flows and breathes really nicely too.  I was surprised I liked this so much.

Score - 9.0

King - Haken - Lovebite

I'm on the record for calling these guys Hacken.  I can't stand them honestly.  It didn't help when I listened through their stuff for Tim's roulette a while back, so going into this I was already rolling my eyes.  However, I thought this was actually quite fucking good.  Still not a fan of the vocalist but that chorus is quite fantastic.  The verses I could take or leave but really, they are fine.  The chorus again though, so good.  Also, that section before the solo, man that has Subsignal/Sieges Even written all over it, cool stuff.  The guitar solo, that's a highlight, it's short but very creative, melodic and memorable and adds something else again to the song.  I see this is their newest album too.  Looks like I'll have to let my guard down more and check it out.

Score - 9.0

TAC - Future Indefinite - Taste of Freedom

Now this is an interesting take on the theme and at first when you said it was a guy looking forward to dying, I was taken aback.  Reading the lyrics though, you certainly struck a nerve.  I won't go too deep but after my accident I've had some outrageous thoughts and thinking which still happen to this day and it pretty much relates to the lyrics at play here.  I look at things differently and some of the thoughts I have now in relation to death, fate etc are quite profound and black and scare me sometimes.  So I won't go any further here but I can to a point relate to subject matter here is a dark positive manner.  It's funny the subject matter relates to the word 'freedom,' which I can scaringly relate to also in relation to the lyrics.  With the song, this is right up my alley.  Wonderful melodic death metal and enjoyable each listen.  The last couple of minutes are epic and leave me wanting more. 

Score - 9.0

Sacul - Talk Talk - Happiness is Easy

Member award bonus - Paul Taylor

Another band I know the name of but don't think I have heard anything from.  I'm a bit of a Tears for Fears fan, Hall and Oates and in general love my 80's music.  This has Tears For Fears The Working Hour vibes to it which is fine by me and I really liked this song.  The vocals are interesting but really comforting and the childrens' vocals in the chorus were haunting as fuck to me.  I think the positive link is a bit of a stretch to be honest especially with a song about religion but I can't escape the vibe of this one, it was fantastic.  Love the saxaphone too, that just tops it all off.  I love the key changes to the chrous too.  Another thing to note, while it has the 80's vibe, it sounds ahead of its time too IMO.  Anyway, really good creative music here and wonderful songwriting.  Have a Paul Taylor award, the vibe was immense.

Score - 9.0 + 0.5 = 9.5

twosuitluke - Lizard band - Dragon

Now I still stand by my word that I had not heard a note of these guys before this.  I had no idea what to expect, anything was possible but I honestly thought this song fucking ripped.  I was certainly taken by surprise.  How this fits the positive theme is fucking beyond me but it's getting a positive score so that will do.  This felt fresh to me and while there's plenty of Tool rip offs and even Mastodon rip offs, I didn't really care, I thought the whole thing was unique in its own way and really creative and interesting and enough here to make me really really enjoy it.  The song length wasn't a problem too, it was fine.  It's hard to put into words why I liked it so much, it just felt.....new and seemed really organic with a stripped back sound and everyone really doing their part with every instrument complimenting each other.  The hype is real, love it. 

Score - 9.5

Jingle - Project Aegis - Collide and Spark

Member award - Kip Winger

Fucking finally is right!  This is what I've been expecting from you all along.  Now, I don't need credits to hear what's going on here.  I wasn't a Theocracy fan at all but Mosiac is absolutely incredible so I know their sound pretty well now and this has their sound and Matt all over it.  Nils kills it too.  This is positive power metal with strong Tobi and Avantasia vibes in the chorus.  What a fucking great chorus though.  A shame this isn't a full on proper project though but at least I see there's two more songs I need to check out.  The performances here are incredible and have to get the Kip Winger award I think here.  Great pick and perfectly nailing the theme.

Score - 9.25 + 0.5 = 9.75

Round 7 scores;

Jingle - 9.75
twosuitluke - 9.5
Sacul - 9.5
TAC - 9.0
King - 9.0
Crow - 9.0
Evermind - 8.75
Dr. DTVT - 8.75
ariich - 8.75
Stadler - 8.5
Indi - 8.5
romdrums - 8.25
Puppies - 8.0
lonestar - 8.0
Litho - 8.0
Lonk - 7.75
Reaper - 7.5
Shadow Ninja - 7.0

Standings after round 7;

TAC - 8.25+9.25+9.25+9.0+9.0+9.25+9.0 = 63.0
Evermind - 9.0+9.25+9.0+8.75+8.5+9.25+8.75 = 62.5
Crow - 9.5+8.5+8.75+9.25+7.0+8.25+9.0 = 60.25
Puppies - 9.0+9.25+8.25+6.25+9.5+9.0+8.0 = 59.25
Litho - 9.0+9.0+8.0+7.5+7.75+9.25+8.0 = 58.5
Indiscipline - 9.0+8.25+9.5+8.25+8.25+7.0+8.5 = 58.75
Jingle - 8.75+8.75+7.75+8.25+8.25+5.5+9.75 = 57.0
ariich - 8.5+7.75+7.5+8.5+6.5+9.0+8.75 = 56.50
Dr. DTVT - 8.0+8.5+7.25+6.0+9.25+8.5+8.75 = 56.25
twosuitluke - 4.0+6.5+7.0+9.25+9.5+10.25+9.5 = 56.0
Stadler - 9.25+5.5+6.75+8.5+8.25+9.0+8.5 = 55.75
King - 7.5+5.0+8.0+8.5+7.5+8.0+9.0 = 53.5
Lonk - 7.75+4.5+7.75+6.75+7.0+8.75+7.75 = 50.25
romdrums - 5.5+6.25+5.25+6.5+7.5+10.25+8.25 = 49.5
lonestar - 6.0+5.75+3.5+7.75+8.25+9.5+8.0 = 48.75
Sacul - 9.5+8.0+5.0+8.0+4.5+3.5+9.5 = 48.0
Shadow Ninja - 4.0+7.0+5.25+6.5+6.75+5.5+7.0 = 42.0
Reaper - 5.0+4.0+7.25+6.25+4.5+4.5+7.5 = 39.0

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2467 on: April 29, 2024, 07:06:59 PM »
The live video is hella fun too... https://youtu.be/96LQimRqJgM?si=GgSztLKPolykTVKK

Sending soon.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Round 7 Results.
« Reply #2468 on: April 29, 2024, 07:23:26 PM »
Boom Shaka mother fucking laka!

If only I hadn’t dropped a turd last round with EVH.

Sending momentarily.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: April 29, 2024, 07:38:38 PM »
Boom Shaka mother fucking laka!

If only I hadn’t dropped a turd last round with EVH.

Sending momentarily.

I expect you to back that up for a big finish.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2470 on: April 29, 2024, 07:40:17 PM »
The Project Aegis stuff is awesome. Matt even got Daniel Heiman for And The Rest Is Mystery.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2471 on: April 29, 2024, 07:41:02 PM »
Nice!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2472 on: April 29, 2024, 07:41:06 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand sent!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2473 on: April 29, 2024, 07:44:03 PM »
The Project Aegis stuff is awesome. Matt even got Daniel Heiman for And The Rest Is Mystery.

Oh wow!  That might have gotten Chad a 10!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2474 on: April 29, 2024, 07:46:13 PM »
Oh wow!  That might have gotten Chad a 10!

He used it in Indiscipline's roulette.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2475 on: April 29, 2024, 08:00:25 PM »
wolfking has become luke's bestie for life with that score  :lol
i cannot imagine you'd like a ton of other hirsch effekt as they lean more metal/math-core on a lot of their other stuff, but hey at leas there's one for you

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2476 on: April 29, 2024, 08:13:51 PM »
That's better than I expected  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2477 on: April 29, 2024, 08:16:31 PM »
Here's hoping Crow, Ruslan, and Tim all tank the final round.....cause I'm losing ground... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2478 on: April 29, 2024, 08:31:53 PM »
wolfking has become luke's bestie for life with that score  :lol
i cannot imagine you'd like a ton of other hirsch effekt as they lean more metal/math-core on a lot of their other stuff, but hey at leas there's one for you

I couldn't deny how cool I thought that Lizard song was.

And your song enough to get me interested in checking out something from them.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2479 on: April 29, 2024, 08:41:17 PM »
well, the album that one's from is my favorite of theirs, so :corn

anyways i need to pick something to send but this theme's pretty open so i basically just gotta find something, y'know. good

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2480 on: April 29, 2024, 08:42:31 PM »
Noted.  :tup

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2481 on: April 29, 2024, 11:37:54 PM »
ariich - Equilibrium - Die Weide und der Fluss

I've seen this name quite a lot and thought they were more folkish metal which we have seen can be hit or miss.  I'm fine with the folkish elements being tied the theme here even though, the melodies give off that viking heroic like theme which is cool.  Once it gets going though, this was fun.  The vocals here are really strong and mix nicely with the major key melodies, more than they usually would for me.  I think they have a good knack here in creating uplifting melodies but still draping everything in some darkish tones which is well done.  I enjoyed the sped up middle section too, quite epic.  All in all,  while pretty standard for the style, I still found a lot to like here.  Cool key change near the end too and a nice gallop to finish.

Score - 8.75
Cool, that's pretty much what I was going for with the vibe and the theme so I'm glad you enjoyed it!

King - Haken - Lovebite

...Still not a fan of the vocalist but that chorus is quite fantastic.  The verses I could take or leave but really, they are fine.  The chorus again though, so good. ... I see this is their newest album too.  Looks like I'll have to let my guard down more and check it out.
You definitely should check it out, not least because it's the album for which my brother came back to the band on keys and was heavily involved in the songwriting. :P

It's not a great departure so I don't particularly expect it to change your mind, but there are a bunch of really strong choruses on the album so you might enjoy it more than you expect.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2482 on: April 29, 2024, 11:53:31 PM »
I couldn't deny how cool I thought that Lizard song was.

Been following this thread, obviously, and this caught my attention. I had checked out some stuff from the Lizard band before and it did nothing for me. Found the video for that track on YouTube. It's late and I don't like making purchases when I'm tired but, as of now, I think I will be picking up PetroDragonic Apocalypse and also Infest The Rats' Nest. Been listening on Bandcamp and they seem like winners.

I don't work tomorrow so I predict I will do some lizard hunting after I wake up.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: April 30, 2024, 01:54:29 AM »
I don't think you'll like Fauna but I'm curious what you'll think about it.

At this point this is Tim's roulette to lose I guess, he's very consistent. Although it's only half a point so there's a chance. I'll send something today.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2484 on: April 30, 2024, 04:07:13 AM »
Cool, that's pretty much what I was going for with the vibe and the theme so I'm glad you enjoyed it!

You definitely should check it out, not least because it's the album for which my brother came back to the band on keys and was heavily involved in the songwriting. :P

It's not a great departure so I don't particularly expect it to change your mind, but there are a bunch of really strong choruses on the album so you might enjoy it more than you expect.

I'm guessing it's not actually your brother?  Yeah, I'll check it out.  That song really surprised me.