Poll

What style of tour would you prefer DT to support the new album with?

"Evening With" format; no support, 2 sets + encore
"Progressive Nation" revival; 4 acts coming from all realms of PROG
"Dreamsonic" sequel; 3-4 acts, focusing on DJENT
Standard tour, 1 opener, Longer DT set (but not 2)
Something else (post away!)

Voting closes: Today at 11:22:05 AM

Author Topic: DT Tour Wish Thread  (Read 3036 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT Tour Wish Thread
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2024, 01:57:28 PM »
I picked standard with one opener.  When DT did this, they only played about 15 minutes less than their last evening with shows.  So you aren't losing a whole lot from an evening with to a standard show, but I guess some of that depends on what the guys are capable and willing to do now.  I fully expect it to be an evening with show when they hit the road again to capitalize on MP being back.  I won't be mad about that. I've just always been on the side that thinks having an opener helps spread the music, something dreamsonic did for the first time in a long time it seemed. Plus it's a huge win when you enjoy the opener too (like Devin Townsend, to me, him and DT touring together was a big win for my tastes).

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2024, 02:00:49 PM »
I find it interesting (but not surprising) that nobody wants another Dreamsonic.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2024, 02:07:54 PM »
the Djent takeover of our beautiful fantasy and classically inspired progressive music is finally over. after the dark ages, which consisted of:

* MP leaving DT
* PT hiatus
* Oceansize breakup
* The death of Chris Squire
* Opeth dropping metal
* Djent taking over everything

we are finally seeing the light again:

* MP back in DT
* PT new album and tour
* Mike Vennart still making good music
* Yes still somehow playing shows

! hail Theia
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2024, 02:10:07 PM »
I find it interesting (but not surprising) that nobody wants another Dreamsonic.

I'd take it, but not for the next tour.  I enjoyed the two Dreamsonic shows I went to, but these shows had DT only playing 90 minutes.  I dont think anyone wants that short of a set for MP's return.  DT plus one opener still can have them playing 120-135 minutes which is plenty of time and more than 90% of the headline acts today.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2024, 02:28:54 PM »

I'd take it, but not for the next tour.  I enjoyed the two Dreamsonic shows I went to, but these shows had DT only playing 90 minutes.  I dont think anyone wants that short of a set for MP's return.  DT plus one opener still can have them playing 120-135 minutes which is plenty of time and more than 90% of the headline acts today.

I think people will want it, but not for the first tour back. It's like if your significant other just got back from a long trip, do you want to spend a day or two with them first, or do you immediately want to go out with all your mutual friends?

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2024, 02:35:58 PM »

I think people will want it, but not for the first tour back. It's like if your significant other just got back from a long trip, do you want to spend a day or two with them first, or do you immediately want to go out with all your mutual friends?

Ha, this makes perfect sense 😁

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2024, 03:23:31 PM »

:tup

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2024, 04:16:57 PM »
the Djent takeover of our beautiful fantasy and classically inspired progressive music is finally over. after the dark ages, which consisted of:

* MP leaving DT
* PT hiatus
* Oceansize breakup
* Opeth dropping metal

* MP back in DT
* PT new album and tour

! hail Theia

I tried sending you a message just now but your inbox is full ⚠

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2024, 12:16:52 AM »
Here's an unpopular opinion: I really don't want an Evening With show. I find them exhausting these days. Would rather have a nice two hour set with or without an opener. Start at 8:30, finish at 10:30, give everyone a chance to make the train/bus home.

Can't wait to see MP back behind the kit, though, whatever they do, and am definitely aiming to be at that first show. Well, provided it's not a festival.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2024, 03:01:33 AM »
I like a show with an opening act (just one though). Warms up the crowd, builds anticipation. Plus there's that neat trick that they crank up the decibels for the headliner so they seem even more impressive by comparison. Also, there's something special about hearing YOUR music after some unfamiliar music. There's an oooompf to it. It's like "here we go, this one's mine". The last time I saw DT, they just jumped on stage and started playing The Dark Eternal Night. It was so... anticlimactic.

Edit: thinking back on that show some more, as James entered, the overly loud and obviously pre-recorded, drenched-in-effects backing vocals were super jarring. Such a weird vibe overall to start off the show. I fully expect a great opener and good vibes with MP back. Please ditch the backing tracks and put MP & JP to siiiiing.

I just can't wrap my head around this trend of overusing backing tracks by otherwise talented and virtuoso musicians & metal bands. How come playing and sounding live is not essential for a self-respecting musician? Why sacrifice the possibility for spontaneity and variety on the altar of sounding "perfect"?

I was at a prog fest last year and after all the punch-in backing vocals, synth lines (why not just get a synth player?), triggered drum sounds, pre-recorded bass lines (come on, Porcupine Tree, can't you just get a pinch bass player for your last tour?), I just felt seasick. I had to detox with some Venom on the way home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbldM7JEIeE
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 03:31:17 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2024, 03:53:07 AM »
I like a show with an opening act (just one though). Warms up the crowd, builds anticipation. Plus there's that neat trick that they crank up the decibels for the headliner so they seem even more impressive by comparison. Also, there's something special about hearing YOUR music after some unfamiliar music. There's an oooompf to it. It's like "here we go, this one's mine". The last time I saw DT, they just jumped on stage and started playing The Dark Eternal Night. It was so... anticlimactic.

Edit: thinking back on that show some more, as James entered, the overly loud and obviously pre-recorded, drenched-in-effects backing vocals were super jarring. Such a weird vibe overall to start off the show. I fully expect a great opener and good vibes with MP back. Please ditch the backing tracks and put MP & JP to siiiiing.

I just can't wrap my head around this trend of overusing backing tracks by otherwise talented and virtuoso musicians & metal bands. How come playing and sounding live is not essential for a self-respecting musician? Why sacrifice the possibility for spontaneity and variety on the altar of sounding "perfect"?

I was at a prog fest last year and after all the punch-in backing vocals, synth lines (why not just get a synth player?), triggered drum sounds, pre-recorded bass lines (come on, Porcupine Tree, can't you just get a pinch bass player for your last tour?), I just felt seasick. I had to detox with some Venom on the way home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbldM7JEIeE

I mostly agree and ask myself the same question.

Then I remember a great deal of bitching and moaning from the internet fanbase on that same altar and the old cake dilemma.

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2024, 06:53:44 AM »

* MP leaving DT
* PT hiatus
* Oceansize breakup
* Opeth dropping metal

* MP back in DT
* PT new album and tour

! hail Theia

sorry! just cleared some out, didn't realize we only have room in our DMs for 25 messages, lol. seems absurdly low
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2024, 07:35:20 AM »

* MP leaving DT
* PT hiatus
* Oceansize breakup
* Opeth dropping metal

* MP back in DT
* PT new album and tour

! hail Theia

sorry! just cleared some out, didn't realize we only have room in our DMs for 25 messages, lol. seems absurdly low
It gets bigger with time.

Or so I'm told.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2024, 07:40:46 AM »

* MP leaving DT
* PT hiatus
* Oceansize breakup
* Opeth dropping metal

* MP back in DT
* PT new album and tour

! hail Theia

It gets bigger with time.

Or so I'm told.

I dunno about getting bigger, but it definitely sags more.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2024, 07:43:10 AM »

Yeah, I'm with you.  Some of that is explainable though.  Not every band, especially prog metal bands, can afford to tour with live synths.  But not having a bass player?  That seems like a stretch.  I think it was Xandria last year that didn't tour with a bass player.  Made their entire set feel fake.  They already use orchestral backing tracks (which to me, makes sense even if I don't like it) but adding in a fake bass and it had people questioning if anyone but the drummer was live.  I absolutely hate watching a live band and starting to question who is or isn't live on stage, removes me from the live concert atmosphere.  Intro tapes don't bother me though.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2024, 12:36:27 PM »
I'm almost 100% certain you won't have to worry about pre-recorded backing vocals with MP back. In fact, for all the shows in 2023, they had already ditched the pre-recorded backing vocals and JP's live backing vocals were audible. And I don't think MP has ever been in favor of pre-recorded backing vocals either, so it's a pretty safe bet this is something you won't need to worry about.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DTA

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2024, 11:04:02 AM »
Definitely Evening With… but serious consideration taken to preserve James’ voice by including more than a few mellower songs, instrumentals, and songs with longer instrumental sections.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2024, 11:14:46 AM »
Definitely Evening With… but serious consideration taken to preserve James’ voice by including more than a few mellower songs, instrumentals, and songs with longer instrumental sections.

They could bring in a couple special quests and have an evening of DT and LTE. James doesn't have to push for three hours, and the fans still get a full evening of a lot of the DT guys.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2024, 11:47:18 AM »
an evening of DT and LTE

This is actually not a bad idea... 🤔💡

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2024, 01:13:06 PM »
Great idea!! I wish we could send our wishes and ideas directly to the band for their consideration. An evening of LTE and DT would be really cool
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2024, 01:40:33 PM »
Great idea!! I wish we could send our wishes and ideas directly to the band for their consideration. An evening of LTE and DT would be really cool
Not for me.  The two are distinct, and my preference would be to keep them that way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2024, 01:43:07 PM »
Not for me.  The two are distinct, and my preference would be to keep them that way.

Not for me either. I have had enough of instrumental bands after the last 2 tours. I have no desire to see an instrumental band in concert.

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2024, 01:44:54 PM »

But how will we get a JLB guest spot on The Rhapsody in Blue otherwise?
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2024, 01:46:16 PM »

But how will we get a JLB guest spot on The Rhapsody in Blue otherwise?

He won't.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2024, 01:46:57 PM »
i just want to make this a reality so bad:

https://soundcloud.com/hjklas/rhapsody-in-chungus
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2024, 07:52:56 AM »

I would rather have no bass player at all than piped in keyboards.

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2024, 01:22:34 PM »
was relistening to the BCSL bonus disc today and still think it'd be fun as hell to get some covers on the first tour back. i know that might not be a popular opinion but it would make my day
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2024, 02:19:51 PM »

Not for me either. I have had enough of instrumental bands after the last 2 tours. I have no desire to see an instrumental band in concert.

Three.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2024, 04:37:59 PM »

Three.

I didn't see them when they were part of Prog Nation 2008, but I don't think they're an instrumental band, are they?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2024, 12:04:26 AM »

Three.

I didn't see them when they were part of Prog Nation 2008, but I don't think they're an instrumental band, are they?
:neverusethis:

Well played Paul!   :lol
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2024, 06:28:15 AM »
was relistening to the BCSL bonus disc today and still think it'd be fun as hell to get some covers on the first tour back. i know that might not be a popular opinion but it would make my day
I agree with you.  That's not a popular opinion.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2024, 06:29:18 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2024, 06:36:20 AM »
Evening with would be my preferred format, but I think one opener and a somewhat long single set (like the ADTOE tour) is more likely. Probably best for JLB as well.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2024, 07:35:44 AM »

yeah, i think my penchant for DT covers comes from the Surrounded -> Sugar Mice thing they did on the Chaos in Motion tour. I adore that performance so much, and it'd be great if we could get something like that again
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2024, 07:41:27 AM »

yeah, i think my penchant for DT covers comes from the Surrounded -> Sugar Mice thing they did on the Chaos in Motion tour. I adore that performance so much, and it'd be great if we could get something like that again

That’s a brutal example and damn near ruined Surrounded.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol