Author Topic: Chances of MP/JP vocals on new album?  (Read 3577 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Chances of MP/JP vocals on new album?
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2024, 06:46:06 AM »
i prefer when there are multiple, different, voices singing the harmonies. it makes it feel more organic and then they don't have to use backing tracks live since obv 1 person can't sing 2+ parts at once, etc.
Agreed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2024, 06:53:06 AM »
i prefer when there are multiple, different, voices singing the harmonies. it makes it feel more organic and then they don't have to use backing tracks live since obv 1 person can't sing 2+ parts at once, etc.

Indeed. One of my favorite things about certain bands (like old school PoS) is the mix of different voices that create a unique timbre that one voice over itself a ton doesn't quite have.

Unless that singer is Freddie Mercury. Though even he utilized the other band members as often as possible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2024, 06:56:07 AM »

Indeed. One of my favorite things about certain bands (like old school PoS) is the mix of different voices that create a unique timbre that one voice over itself a ton doesn't quite have.

Unless that singer is Freddie Mercury. Though even he utilized the other band members as often as possible.

prophet's song is the exception that proves the rule lol
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2024, 07:30:30 AM »
With the recent "unmuting" of JP's mic and the return of MP to the band, I have no doubt their backing vocals will come back. I'd bet we get a couple MP leads too (lines, not full songs).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2024, 08:32:14 AM »

Yes.  I mean, the band "Yes".  Some of their vocal harmonies were just other-worldly.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2024, 02:38:40 PM »
Considering the absolute consensus in this thread that MP back = live and on record backing vocals are back, what do you guys think: did JP already decide he'd hopefully be singing more on the next album and reunion tour when he unmuted his mic for the last part of the View tour, and he just wanted to get some practice in? :angel:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2024, 07:33:08 PM »
Considering the absolute consensus in this thread that MP back = live and on record backing vocals are back, what do you guys think: did JP already decide he'd hopefully be singing more on the next album and reunion tour when he unmuted his mic for the last part of the View tour, and he just wanted to get some practice in? :angel:

*just my opinion* but I dont think JP decided or even remotely contemplated any of that upon MP's return. It was neither hopeful or unhopeful regarding the actual task of making music. I don't think he feels strongly one way or another regarding the backing tracks. I think he is cool with doing some singing, little signing, or none at all. In the scale of John Petrucci's Dream Theater priorities, this is likely near the bottom along with a few other things.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2024, 08:32:55 AM »

*just my opinion* but I dont think JP decided or even remotely contemplated any of that upon MP's return. It was neither hopeful or unhopeful regarding the actual task of making music. I don't think he feels strongly one way or another regarding the backing tracks. I think he is cool with doing some singing, little signing, or none at all. In the scale of John Petrucci's Dream Theater priorities, this is likely near the bottom along with a few other things.
What I meant with my very unclear question was, can we take the timing of the backing vocal switchup on tour as a sign that JP was maybe privately considering asking MP back and pondering about how it would be if he came back?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline pg1067

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2024, 08:58:24 AM »

What I meant with my very unclear question was, can we take the timing of the backing vocal switchup on tour as a sign that JP was maybe privately considering asking MP back and pondering about how it would be if he came back?

I don't generally care to speculate what other people may be or have been thinking, but I'd be shocked if JP said those two things had any connection.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2024, 09:48:22 AM »
I am probably in the minority here but I would like both of them to concentrate on their instruments and stay away from the vocals.

I am with you.

Same here. If they need to do it live, so be it, but in the studio it should just be James. JP has an interesting voice that can sometimes compliment JLB but JLB himself compliments his own voice the best.

I've always heard that bands need to make the best version possible in the studio and worry about playing it live later.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2024, 10:27:10 AM »
I am probably in the minority here but I would like both of them to concentrate on their instruments and stay away from the vocals.
I am with you.
I too am with you. The backing vocal worked on some songs like Rite of Passage, but taken as a whole it was unnecessary, intrusive on JLB, and even forced sounding. I would prefer a very modest sprinkle of backing vocal from MP. I don't need to hear him enter into JLB's territory every other tune.
I think it depends on the situation, but largely his vocals don't come off as intrusive to me. And in some cases, they really add to the studio recordings (besides live). SDVu is a perfect example of this.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2024, 01:21:48 PM »
https://youtu.be/9XvoG2bYddc?t=1147

they used to be both pretty high up in the mix ;-)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2024, 03:14:22 PM »
https://youtu.be/9XvoG2bYddc?t=1147

they used to be both pretty high up in the mix ;-)

I kinda prefer that hard stage right for JR than what he does now.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2024, 03:16:33 PM »
do you folks think we'll get any vocal submissions from mike mangini? similar to Repentence where there were guest vocal submissions, he could have a spoken word part where he clears up once and for all whether he was fired or quit or let go
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2024, 03:29:16 PM »
do you folks think we'll get any vocal submissions from mike mangini? similar to Repentence where there were guest vocal submissions, he could have a spoken word part where he clears up once and for all whether he was fired or quit or let go

I think there will be a song about people who receive good advice but don't heed it.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2024, 03:38:48 PM »
To be fair, HoJo really isn't posting anything more silly than some of the more post-laden regulars do.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2024, 03:40:01 PM »
Yeah, he really is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2024, 03:41:11 PM »

I think there will be a song about people who receive good advice but don't heed it.

they already wrote that song. it's called the count of tuscany
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2024, 03:44:03 PM »
Yeah, he really is.

No, he really isn't.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2024, 03:45:22 PM »
if it gets people discussing music, and makes some people chuckle, i consider it a successful post. sorry if some people can't appreciate taking life a little more lightly
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2024, 03:51:34 PM »
It's really hilarious to me because we all look at a post like that and think it's completely ridiculous before remembering exactly how we felt when we learned that DT were naming their first post MP album "A Dramatic Turn of Events". I doubt it would be as silly as what a HS has put out there, but a song that in some way touches on the recent lineup change definitely squares with JP's approach to literal lyrics to me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2024, 04:02:23 PM »
It's really hilarious to me because we all look at a post like that and think it's completely ridiculous before remembering exactly how we felt when we learned that DT were naming their first post MP album "A Dramatic Turn of Events". I doubt it would be as silly as what a HS has put out there, but a song that in some way touches on the recent lineup change definitely squares with JP's approach to literal lyrics to me.

I agree with this. Over the years the band has had many on the nose references to things and they're not exactly subtle. Would not be surprised at all if a new album title or song title references the return of the classic lineup in some way.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2024, 04:06:33 PM »
Didn't JP say that the title 'A Dramatic Turn of Events' had nothing to do with MP leaving the band? :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2024, 04:13:27 PM »
I always thought that the lyrics to The Looking Glass were John Petrucci’s response to Mike Portnoy quitting the band then unsuccessfully trying to join the more popular Avenged Sevenfold full time, although I know that’s not the case. I also thought Beneath the Surface was partially inspired by Mike’s departure. I guess at the time I was projecting my feelings about the split onto the band itself, which isn’t fair to them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2024, 04:17:15 PM »
Didn't JP say that the title 'A Dramatic Turn of Events' had nothing to do with MP leaving the band? :lol

Couldn't he say the same even if the next album ends up being named something like "Hero's Return" or "Metropolis 3: forget the last decade" or whatever else? :P

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2024, 04:28:41 PM »
Hehe! He quite possibly will do exactly that. And that's the thing about JP. I love him but he really is the Mr Corporate many of us work with day in, day out.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2024, 04:34:18 PM »
I also thought Beneath the Surface was partially inspired by Mike’s departure.

No, it's not about that at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2024, 07:24:55 PM »
To be fair, HoJo really isn't posting anything more silly than some of the more post-laden regulars do.
No, he's posting more annoying stuff than the others. Joking is one thing, being obnoxious is another. Big difference. He may be trying to be silly but it's just coming off as obnoxious, which is exactly why he rubs people the wrong way. And then he complains that he doesn't know why people "hate" him here, despite efforts to try to explain and help him.  ::)

if it gets people discussing music, and makes some people chuckle, i consider it a successful post. sorry if some people can't appreciate taking life a little more lightly
What it's doing is getting people to talk about *you* which you seem to want, but in a negative light, which apparently you don't. It has nothing to do with "taking life a little more lightly."

Correct. I actually posted about it and what JP said when I asked him about it here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=29847.msg1158562#msg1158562

and here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=29847.msg1158871#msg1158871
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2024, 07:51:34 PM »
No, he's posting more annoying stuff than the others. Joking is one thing, being obnoxious is another. Big difference. He may be trying to be silly but it's just coming off as obnoxious, which is exactly why he rubs people the wrong way. And then he complains that he doesn't know why people "hate" him here, despite efforts to try to explain and help him.  ::)

What it's doing is getting people to talk about *you* which you seem to want, but in a negative light, which apparently you don't. It has nothing to do with "taking life a little more lightly."

Correct. I actually posted about it and what JP said when I asked him about it here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=29847.msg1158562#msg1158562

and here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=29847.msg1158871#msg1158871

:facepalm:
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2024, 02:58:05 PM »

Oh I know. I was more mentioning these things that I used to think (and I no longer think that way to be clear) to make a point about how fans sometimes let their own feelings about things dictate their interpretations of an artist’s creations.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2024, 05:26:36 PM »
I hope MP and JP do some vocals on the new record, and not just James doing the harmonies.
I loved the way Mike had short lead vocal sections in the Neal Morse Band. That worked really well and would like to see some of this on DT16.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2024, 03:24:37 AM »
Whatever issues LaBrie's may be having with his voice as he ages he used to be in the upper echolon of rock/metal singers imo - right up there on the Tate (well, back when he was good), Dickinson, Halford, Dio, Coverdale, et-al, strata - and having other people singing on DT albums who didn't blend well with his voice due to a technical disparity and a clash of colour/timbre was certainly a choice they made.

It worked out in a couple of places but overall? No thanks.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2024, 07:14:26 AM »
Whatever issues LaBrie's may be having with his voice as he ages he used to be in the upper echolon of rock/metal singers imo - right up there on the Tate (well, back when he was good), Dickinson, Halford, Dio, Coverdale, et-al, strata - and having other people singing on DT albums who didn't blend well with his voice due to a technical disparity and a clash of colour/timbre was certainly a choice they made.

Was he ever really considered up there with the likes of Dio and Coverdale? That isn't a rhetorical question.

Offline efx

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2024, 07:38:59 AM »

Was he ever really considered up there with the likes of Dio and Coverdale? That isn't a rhetorical question.

Overall, outside of DT fandom? I would say no. His voice had plenty of detractors going back to day 1 which I would attribute more to them becoming big during a time when that sort of vocal wasn't in style as much. Dio and Coverdale to use your examples had the good fortune to work in a decade where those types of voices were more in vogue.

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2024, 07:43:26 AM »
i think before his vocal cords ruptured after eating the bad shrimp he was considered the up and coming Dio; poor guy
Welcome to the Forums!