Author Topic: Chances of MP/JP vocals on new album?  (Read 3563 times)

Offline nikatapi

Chances of MP/JP vocals on new album?
« on: February 12, 2024, 02:15:29 AM »
So given that MP was always contributing backing (and sometimes lead) vocals, what do you think are the chances that he gets back on the microphone for this album?
Also, JP didn't really do any backing vocals in the post-MP era (studio at least), do you think we will get the trio of vocals back on the new album the band is working on?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Chances of MP/JP vocals on new album?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 02:18:57 AM »
I would be shocked and disappointed if we don't hear MP doing vocals.  I'd even love a call and answer section in the vein of TGP.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 02:44:30 AM »
I would be surprised if there wouldn't be any backing vocals.

Also, I remember MP was adamant about having their own voices on the album, so that when they would do backing vocals live "it wouldn't sound like an inferior version of James", so I assume he would push / suggest for that to happen again.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 04:17:42 AM »
"I'm coming hooooomeee"

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 04:29:48 AM »
I am probably in the minority here but I would like both of them to concentrate on their instruments and stay away from the vocals.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 04:41:20 AM »
I just hope they go back to singing backup vocals live, it's weird watching JP miming to the vocals on the recent concert DVDs.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 05:56:21 AM »
So given that MP was always contributing backing (and sometimes lead) vocals, what do you think are the chances that he gets back on the microphone for this album?
Also, JP didn't really do any backing vocals in the post-MP era (studio at least), do you think we will get the trio of vocals back on the new album the band is working on?

I hope Mike sings; I think he's really progressed as a singer and I like his voice as a contrast to James.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 06:01:50 AM »

I hope Mike sings; I think he's really progressed as a singer and I like his voice as a contrast to James.

I will second this.

JP is totally fine, but MP has a voice that sticks out in the mix.

I suspect I am in the minority, but I've always appreciated his vocals on the albums (and especially live)–the contrast is very appreciated and adds something intangible to the band's sound.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 07:07:01 AM »
We'll probably get them, but also maybe not. I don't know why he started doing them back in the day. I always felt he was trying to make up for something he felt was missing from DT. He might just stay out of James' way and that would not surprise me either.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 07:14:23 AM »
I would be shocked if they didn't both supply background vocals both in the studio and on tour.

Which would remove one need for the click track live.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 08:08:24 AM »
I would be surprised if there wouldn't be any backing vocals.

Also, I remember MP was adamant about having their own voices on the album, so that when they would do backing vocals live "it wouldn't sound like an inferior version of James", so I assume he would push / suggest for that to happen again.
This!

I just hope they go back to singing backup vocals live, it's weird watching JP miming to the vocals on the recent concert DVDs.
Pretty sure they will. In fact, even during the entire run of shows in 2023 (not just DreamSonic), they got rid of the taped backing vocals and JP sang back up live (and audibly). I can't imagine them going back to the taped vocals now.

I suspect I am in the minority, but I've always appreciated his vocals on the albums (and especially live)–the contrast is very appreciated and adds something intangible to the band's sound.
Same for me. The only exception was *that* section of ANtR, which I thought it was completely unnecessary to do. I always figured if JL used his "Awake" voice for that section, it would sound great, and as can be seen on the 2019-20 tour, it was. Otherwise, I always welcome his (non-harsh) vocals.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 08:37:14 AM »
Just to add to the conversation, this is a thought that came to my mind after revisiting the MP-era albums.
And overall, apart from some cringy moments (ANTR for example), i also like his vocal contributions most of the time.

On the click/backing track discussion, it will definitely be a challenge for the band, as i think they tied their sound changes to the track (at least JP) so it would be "harder" for them to go back to the previous way of playing live.

Online HOF

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 09:21:32 AM »
I really like MP's vocals, both in a backing and lead setting (at least on projects like TA and FC). It was a part of the band's sound from FII onward, and I would hope we hear more of it going forward, since I think Mike has only improved as a singer over the years.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 09:22:44 AM »
On the click/backing track discussion, it will definitely be a challenge for the band, as i think they tied their sound changes to the track (at least JP) so it would be "harder" for them to go back to the previous way of playing live.
I don't think they did.  That would introduce a single point of failure.  They still make their changes, or at least retain the ability to make their changes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 09:40:17 AM »
The chance of hearing them on the album is 100%. And I think this is where Portnoy's return will have the biggest positive effect - their vocal arrangements have been quite lackluster since he left, rarely doing anything meaningful with vocal harmonies or counter-point melodies. So the band's move to ditch the live backing vocals was almost logical given that development. Mike, on the other hand, has always been a big proponent of using as many voices as possible (starting with the "Del Fuvio Brothers" in DT when recording FII, but also in Transatlantic) and working so much with Neal Morse after quitting DT will have reinforced that.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2024, 09:51:32 AM »
If their backing vocals are anything like on SFAM, I'm all for it.  :tup

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2024, 10:09:48 AM »
I'm hoping and wishing for MP and JP backing vocals, both in the new album and live.

I have this unsourced, gut impression that JP is self-conscious about his own vocal abilities (given the tours where they went with him miming over a pre-recorded track, or the autotune effect applied to the released Wither demo), and that kind of sucks because he's actually got a very enjoyable voice with a lot of character. Solitary Shell wouldn't be what it is without his parts, for instance.

To have him AND MP doing the backing for James again would not only be a very cool part of the proceedings, but something we really haven't experienced in any capacity since MP left (by that I mean: we haven't been DT-less in that time, and both "sides" have played Dream Theater material... but I think the "gang is back together" sentiment will get even stronger when we get, say, JL, JP and MP singing the Fatal Tragedy chorus together or another part with that kind of effect).

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2024, 10:57:10 AM »
+1 for getting both JP and MP back on the vocals. Both really added contrast and something you just can't capture with pre-recorded backing vocals.

Hell, I would give JM and JR a mic as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2024, 11:11:56 AM »
I don't think they did.  That would introduce a single point of failure.  They still make their changes, or at least retain the ability to make their changes.

Um, I'm guessing there was no click on the solo tour, and yet John was just fine with the changes.  I understand he had a guy on the side of the stage helping him with some of that.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2024, 01:03:40 PM »

Um, I'm guessing there was no click on the solo tour, and yet John was just fine with the changes.  I understand he had a guy on the side of the stage helping him with some of that.

My guess is, MP will lobby for no click. And provides for a looser and more energetic performance, which frankly, I think has been missing from the band since they went to a click.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2024, 01:07:40 PM »
The only time I felt the presence of the click in all the Mangini years was during A Change of Seasons in 2017. Boy, Innocence DRAGGED. I was so used to the way Portnoy was ramping it up, that hearing it play at studio time felt so slow.

I suspected the song was in the set but I didn't outright knew, so I hoped for it in the break before the encore; I didn't even look at the stage in case I would spot someone first and realize if it was or not JP with the guitar, then the song started, I was so happy and ecstatic, and when after the clean intro it kicked in I got wild and...... it seemed the band couldn't keep up with me. As I said - I went along to the live tempo that Portnoy ingrained in my head, the studio tempo felt slooooow.

Aside from that, the click track, or the knowledge there was one, never bothered me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2024, 05:00:28 PM »
I haven’t had the privilege yet of seeing Dream Theater with Mike Portnoy, but I did see Mike Portnoy’s Shattered Fortress show, which means I can compare the seven songs I’ve seen performed by both bands, and both performances were absolutely incredible, the energy of the performance at the Shattered Fortress show was much higher, and I have a feeling that the lack of click had to do with that. I will say though that I preferred Dream Theater’s performance of The Shattered Fortress.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2024, 03:03:44 PM »

agreed with this. MP did lead vocals on a Procul Harem cover on one of the Transatlantic albums and it was really good
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2024, 03:05:00 PM »
And he has also done lead vocals on a lot of things that didn't suck too.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2024, 03:38:34 PM »

MP has worked really hard at his vocals. When he first noticed him taking some notable lines live, it wasn't great. But he's really become a good singer. He'll never be rangy, or be the kind of singer that all of us stand up and go wide-eyed at, but he's learned how to stay on key and knows his range. I welcome MP doing some vocals here and there as songs call for a call and response, or a different voice.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2024, 07:19:33 PM »
The only exception was *that* section of ANtR, which I thought it was completely unnecessary to do. I always figured if JL used his "Awake" voice for that section, it would sound great, and as can be seen on the 2019-20 tour, it was. Otherwise, I always welcome his (non-harsh) vocals.

That section is the reason I exclusively listen to the Berlin 2019 version of ANTR (The Distant Memories version is way too overproduced for me).

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2024, 09:21:39 PM »
Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci have come a long way as backing vocalists. Their harmonies/backing vocals on Black Clouds sounded excellent. Really the only time I haven't liked a vocal contribution from Mike Portnoy has been the "Day after Day ROARRR" section of ANTR. So as long as there isn't anything as silly as that, it's A-Okay by me. I even think Mike did a great job singing Fool in my Heart for Flying Colors and the A Salty Dog cover with Transatlantic. Some of my favorite harmonies were the stuff that Transatlantic did with Mike/Neal/Pete/Roine.

I've never been opposed to the backing tracks they used live. The problem with them is when they are when they way too loud and match/overpower the lead vocals. The other problem is when Petrucci's mic began to be set at .001% in the mix, so it looked like he was just miming vocals. It was so refreshing to finally hear his voice on the last tour and he sounded great, although they didn't need to drop the piped in James backing vocals completely.  I think it would sound great and help James live if Mike and John did backing vocals, and they had like a 20% mix of some of the piped in James backing vocals to fill out the harmonies in the chorus. The combination of James lead vocals, a backing harmony of James, and Mike and John singing backing vocals would sound great and go a long way to helping out the vocals. Also, I'm just kind of a sucker for harmonies. 

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2024, 05:46:21 AM »
I think I'm in the minority in liking all of MP's contributions to the vocals, even (and especially) on ANtR!! Really hope we get some more as he's really strong vocally on his work with Neal Morse.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2024, 06:30:34 AM »
Yeah, I've always liked his voice and contributions, too. I also like the delivery of the contentious part in A Nightmare to Remember. For me, it's a problem of the lyrics not fitting the music rather than the delivery itself.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2024, 06:32:29 AM »
I think I'm in the minority in liking all of MP's contributions to the vocals, even (and especially) on ANtR!! Really hope we get some more as he's really strong vocally on his work with Neal Morse.

I'm with you on ANtR–I'll never forget when he posted the three different versions on his forum back in the day, and one was a combo of him and James at the same time (if I remember correctly), and I really thought that would've been the way to go. OR, the full-on death growl version–go big, or go home. :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2024, 08:01:04 AM »

MP has worked really hard at his vocals. When he first noticed him taking some notable lines live, it wasn't great. But he's really become a good singer. He'll never be rangy, or be the kind of singer that all of us stand up and go wide-eyed at, but he's learned how to stay on key and knows his range. I welcome MP doing some vocals here and there as songs call for a call and response, or a different voice.

I agree with this. He really came into his own with the Neal Morse Band; I LOVE the way that band spread the vocals out to all the members (except for Randy). 

It's the one downside of this reunion; I'm going to miss NMB. A LOT.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2024, 11:57:57 AM »
I am probably in the minority here but I would like both of them to concentrate on their instruments and stay away from the vocals.

I am with you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2024, 12:36:46 PM »
It's the one downside of this reunion; I'm going to miss NMB. A LOT.
I think we will see them ride again.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2024, 06:43:43 PM »

I am with you.

I too am with you. The backing vocal worked on some songs like Rite of Passage, but taken as a whole it was unnecessary, intrusive on JLB, and even forced sounding. I would prefer a very modest sprinkle of backing vocal from MP. I don't need to hear him enter into JLB's territory every other tune.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2024, 06:45:10 AM »
i prefer when there are multiple, different, voices singing the harmonies. it makes it feel more organic and then they don't have to use backing tracks live since obv 1 person can't sing 2+ parts at once, etc.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!