Author Topic: Create the next DT album with song styles YOU'D like (Inspired by mirrormask)  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Not my fault. I was bitten by a radioactive kender when in high school.

Every time I see a post that makes me raise my eyebrows, (whether surprising or admiring), I look to my left and I see Indiscipline in the frame. This man surely is one of a kind.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheCountOfNYC

1: Heavy mini epic, like The Glass Prison or A Nightmare to Remember
-Since the band will most likely open their show with the opening track from the album, this would be the best way to do that.
2: Obvious single, like The Looking Glass
-Dream Theater is actually great at writing catchy melodies, and I’d love to hear some more of that on this album.
3: Suedo-ballad, like Barstool Warrior
-Similar to my above point, but the softer moments will help with the albums dynamics.
4: Proggy, groovy song, like Take the Time
-It’s been too long since they did a song like this
5: Heavy, relentless “shorter” song, like Panic Attack
-The heavy songs always kill live.
6: Crazy instrumental, like The Dance of Eternity
-Let’s see if they can get crazier than The Dance of Eternity and Outcry.
7: Dark ballad, like Disappear
-Once again, it’s been too long since they did a song like this.
8: Epic, like Octavarium or The Count of Tuscany
-These are the songs that Dream Theater are arguably most known for writing, and nobody does it better.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni

There's no way they have another song like Disappear in them. But I get where you are going, and agree that if they could channel that vibe for another song that would be great. Seems like their Ballad-y songs are either a huge hit or wild miss with me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

There's no way they have another song like Disappear in them. But I get where you are going, and agree that if they could channel that vibe for another song that would be great. Seems like their Ballad-y songs are either a huge hit or wild miss with me.

Even though I’m lukewarm on Disappear, I would be thrilled if they just tried anything to stay “outside the formula”

I’m a proponent of the theory that satisfaction is the death of desire.  I’m thoroughly convinced that the *IDEA* behind The Astonishing was sound, but it needed somebody like Mike to shape it into something better than it turned out being.

I think even TA detractors agree that the idea wasn’t the problem, it was the execution.  I loved that they had the balls to try something that ambitious and I don’t want them to ever lose that ambition. But I truly believe that Mike being back in the fold is what will prevent them from taking a really “out there” idea, and taking it too far off the rails.

Am I making any sense?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gzarruk

4: Proggy, groovy song, like Take the Time
-It’s been too long since they did a song like this

I'd say S2N fits that description.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
You are making sense, but for me, the few times I felt DT truly went off the rails were due to ideas spearheaded by Mike, and fell off the charts after he left. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Paddies

My wishes:

- more use of acoustics (grand piano, acoustic guitars) for broader dynamics
- the reintroduction of the Chapman Stick or the introduction of another fitting exotic instrument
- some clever incorporation of electronics (maybe in just one song for added flavour)
- more restrained atmospheric moments in the vein of Goodnight Kiss and the dreamy sections in The Count Of Tuscany and A View From The Top Of The World
- a guitar solo in the vein of those in Trial Of Tears and Breaking All Illusions
- an instrumental
- either a new epic or something in the vein of A Mind Beside Itself or Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (multiple songs that are connected but all with their own different style)
- a short hard rock song in the vein of Strange Déjà Vu
- a very melodically driven song that doesn't sound like Rush, so think of: These Walls, Wither, Innocence Faded, About To Crash, I Walk Beside You, Another Day and so on...
- a dark ballad in the vein of Disappear, Vacant and Space-Dye Vest
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 02:41:25 AM by The Paddies »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
My wishes:

- the reintroduction of the Chapman Stick or the introduction of another fitting exotic instrument
- some clever incorporation of electronics (maybe in just one song for added flavour)
- more restrained atmospheric moments in the vein of Goodnight Kiss and the dreamy sections in The Count Of Tuscany and A View From The Top Of The World
- a guitar solo in the vein of those in Trial Of Tears and Breaking All Illusions
- an instrumental
- either a new epic or something in the vein of A Mind Beside Itself or Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (multiple songs that are connected but all with their own different style)
- a very melodically driven song that doesn't sound like Rush, so think of: These Walls, Wither, Innocence Faded, About To Crash, I Walk Beside You, Another Day and so on...

I like this.

Just nothing muddy or dark. DT are at their best with brighter sounds. Some chugga chugga is okay, but give me more Breaking All Illusions than random song off of View.

Offline Dream Team

My wishes:

- an instrumental

I like this.

Just nothing muddy or dark. DT are at their best with brighter sounds. Some chugga chugga is okay, but give me more Breaking All Illusions than random song off of View.

This exactly.

Offline birchbark

Some of these are more wants for sections, some of them are for songs. Some could probably be mixed!

-Some bonkers Zappa-esque stuff, a la some of the instrumental sections from Beyond This Life.

-An epic!

-Something melancholy and possibly somewhat dissonant. Could be heavy or not, think Space Dye Vest or any Opeth album from their first to Heritage.

-Minimal ballads...maybe an unpopular opinion but I just don't think Dream Theater is very good at them. There are some very notable exceptions but I don't generally like them.

-Something groovy! Images and Words and Falling into Infinity both especially had some groovy aspects that I feel like they never embraced quite as much since.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
5. A Three Days vs. Dark Eternal Night hybrid (emphasis on the horror)
Something to give them the chance to explore H.P. Lovecraft imagery, multiple voice registers by JLB and MP (maybe have the Nafaryus voice come back?), but veering towards the heavier side.

6. Beautiful Agony (as a self-contained song)
I think this one's self explanatory. Sort of a more restrained Repentance, with more glistening guitar parts.

Why do I love these ideas so much.. 🌚

Oh and, another masterpiece along the lines of Outcry, please.

Offline evilasiojr

1. About to Crash kind of song, but a bit heavier, more of a rocker, up lifting song to open the album with emphasis on Jordan's keyboards and cool riff and grooves.
2. Mid-epic song in the vibes of Awaken the Master/The Alien
3. First balad, a strange one in the veins for Misunderstood/Disappear

A longer suit, about 30 min long, with 4 distinct songs, but connected in theme, like A Mind Besides Itself

4. Shorter rock in 'intro' song, like A Strange Deja Vu
5. Balad/Jazz vibe song, dramatic and dark, like Repentance
6. Crazy instrumental song, ending melodic and beautiful, but still heavy, a mix between TDoE and Hell's Kitchen; similar to Haken's Nil by Mouth
7. Epic concluder, melodic and symphonic, a mix between Losing Time, Learning To Live and Breaking All Illusions

8. A breather, maybe acoustic/piano based, or very light balad, like Far From Heaven, Silent Man or Hollow Years
9. Epic closer, heavy and symphonic, such as In The Name of God or In The Presence of Enemies but shorter

Offline porcacultor

5. A Three Days vs. Dark Eternal Night hybrid (emphasis on the horror)
Something to give them the chance to explore H.P. Lovecraft imagery, multiple voice registers by JLB and MP (maybe have the Nafaryus voice come back?), but veering towards the heavier side.

6. Beautiful Agony (as a self-contained song)
I think this one's self explanatory. Sort of a more restrained Repentance, with more glistening guitar parts.

Why do I love these ideas so much.. 🌚

Oh and, another masterpiece along the lines of Outcry, please.

Hah, glad you liked 'em! It's always cool when DT feels a bit DRAMATIC.

Great ideas all around in this post, gives me a lot to chew on while waiting for the new album proper.

Offline MirrorMask

1. About to Crash kind of song, but a bit heavier, more of a rocker, up lifting song to open the album with emphasis on Jordan's keyboards and cool riff and grooves.

A longer suit, about 30 min long, with 4 distinct songs, but connected in theme, like A Mind Besides Itself

6. Crazy instrumental song, ending melodic and beautiful, but still heavy, a mix between TDoE and Hell's Kitchen; similar to Haken's Nil by Mouth
7. Epic concluder, melodic and symphonic, a mix between Losing Time, Learning To Live and Breaking All Illusions

8. A breather, maybe acoustic/piano based, or very light balad, like Far From Heaven, Silent Man or Hollow Years
9. Epic closer, heavy and symphonic, such as In The Name of God or In The Presence of Enemies but shorter

I don't agree 100% but overall I'd quite like an album like this!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Paddies

I don't agree 100% but overall I'd quite like an album like this!
Nice.

Not far removed from my wishes.

I can 'picture' this.

But in the end: as long as they come up with more killer than filler then I'm happy with whatever output.

I hope we'll see a making of in due time as well.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 03:41:59 PM by The Paddies »

Offline JMSE

Love this thread!

Context for my list: this is not a call for songs to sound like these bands but rather the song feel and structure

1. Tool Parabol: short, soft but intense album hype building track that mirrors a heavier version to follow
2. Tool Parabola: the release track to the intro built before - heavier version of the melodies that kick off the album:
3. A7X We Love you: heavy head banger with a nasty chunky riffs and a surprise ending (maybe softer, maybe more elaborate than most of the song)
4. DT IT outro type: instrumental ballad
7- 8V meets SFAM like epic: different movements, let them go crazy with instrumental - heavy drum fills, bass leads, etc.
8- LTE 3 minutes warning jam/ DT take this for the pain: never going to happen but I would love to hear a crazy jam to showcase the chemistry these guys have.  The "Take this for the pain" jam is one of my fav DT moments.

I think that'd be a killer album. No need to do a Rush like song, you can do a ballad but less focused on building a classic song while doing a different type of instrumental at the same time. 

Offline OpenYourEyes311

1. Something like In the Presence of Enemies - Part 1... a long-ish instrumental intro in the vein of Paradigm Shift, with the second half having soaring James vocals
2. Shorter rock song with drum intro a la 6:00
3. Driving short heavy song like Constant Motion/A Rite of Passage
4. Epic in the vein of A Mind Beside Itself or The Count of Tuscany. Middle of the album, another long instrumental intro, soaring vocals in the middle section, quiet ending section.
5. Afterlife - straight up cover as a tribute to Charlie
6. Short intro ballady type thing like Vacant or Wait For Sleep
7. "Short Epic" - a Learning To Live or Breaking All Illusions or The Ministry of Lost Souls or Sacrificed Sons

Edit - kinda half joking about the Afterlife cover, but I do find it interesting when bands re-record their earlier songs for proper albums. The Offspring have done it twice (they did a straight up cover of Dirty Magic and a piano version of Gone Away on their last two albums), Green Day also did it on their breakout album with Welcome To Paradise.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
1. Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue
2. Iron Maiden - To Tame A Land
3. Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want To Turn Into You
4. Frost* - Black Light Machine
5. (Big Epic) Genesis -  Supper's Ready
6. Elliot Smith - The Biggest Lie
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01