Author Topic: Create the next DT album with song styles YOU'D like (Inspired by mirrormask)  (Read 1975 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

I've ALWAYS wanted DT to do a "PF" type album. Now, especially with JLB' vocal issues, I think would be a perfect time! Something along the lines of these song structures.

"DREAM THEATER 2024"
1. Shine on You Crazy Diamond (I-V)
2. Run Like Hell
3. Dogs
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Pigs
6. Hey You
7. Sheep
8. Comfortably Numb

Offline porcacultor

Very cool idea! Mine's not going to be popular, but a boy can dream... EDIT: With a little writeup as suggested by Bosk!

1. In the presence of enemies (with no funny business breaking the track apart)
An "epic", sprawling track erring on the longer side (I know it's cheesy to say "have it be over 20 minutes!" but we're just fooling around over here), starting already heavy, but with dynamics worked on throughout.

2. Acid Rain (with vocals)
Something fast, something technical, but with vocals. I think Answering the Call would be a bit of a template, but maybe even more dynamic and exciting (like LTE's Acid Rain implies)

3. Logical Song (yeah, I do mean Supertramp)
Jordan's time to shine. A groovy piano-based track with some bluesy tinges and bass swooshes. Something that'd get people dancing!

4. Revelations (Iron Maiden)
The type of track DT has already taken cues from: a balance between exciting guitar/keyboard lines and acoustic, contemplative parts.

5. A Three Days vs. Dark Eternal Night hybrid (emphasis on the horror)
Something to give them the chance to explore H.P. Lovecraft imagery, multiple voice registers by JLB and MP (maybe have the Nafaryus voice come back?), but veering towards the heavier side.

6. Beautiful Agony (as a self-contained song)
I think this one's self explanatory. Sort of a more restrained Repentance, with more glistening guitar parts.

7. Raw Dog vs. Intervals hybrid
Finish things up with a bold punch. Since the "epic" was already at the start, close things up with a downtuned, heavy track (maybe with audience participation implied?). Kind of what they aimed for with Viper King, but less Van Halen and more Lamb of God.

It... makes sense in my head  :lol
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 10:14:52 PM by porcacultor »

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Very nice Pink Floyd-tribute, but I surely miss Pink Floyds masterpiece, High Hopes...
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Looking at these lists of songs, I don't entirely know what you mean by them.  I think it would greatly help if, for each one, you would say what it is about them that you are hoping DT captures.  These lists don't really give me a feel for what you are trying to say at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline porcacultor

Looking at these lists of songs, I don't entirely know what you mean by them.  I think it would greatly help if, for each one, you would say what it is about them that you are hoping DT captures.  These lists don't really give me a feel for what you are trying to say at all.

I actually thought of adding a little writeup to each imagined track, but wondered if it would be too overbearing. Now I went for it  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
That's...actually a LOT more helpful in picturing what you are going for.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

I'm only using DT songs as reference, where ideally the "inspiration corner" is not a bunch of albums or half of the song structures of Images and Words, but their whole discography. I'm gonna cheat as well on some occasions, creating hybrids.

1. On the Back of Angels sprinkled with Bridges in the Sky
It's a difficult concept to explain, but what I'm trying to get is "a somehow standard opening song but with a bit of epicness thrown in". They had fairly "standard" openers (Pull Me Under, On the Backs of Angels, Untethered Angels, even The Alien which has a fairly standard structure and reaches almost 10 minutes just because of the solo), and sometimes big giant pieces like A Nightmare to Remember, The Glass Prison, In the Presence of Enemies which is part of a larger whole.... I'd like them to go halfway - yes, do a relatively standard song as first one, but without going overboard with the minutes, throw in some variety in the song and some bombastic epicness while staying in the "standard opener" realm, 8-9 minutes or so.

2. These Walls
Ideally the first single, a melodic, more simple song where they showcase their ability to create compelling melodies. Nothing too fancy, just a damn good song.

3. The Mirror / The Root of All Evil
An heavy song that doesn't go overboard with a million notes trying to prove they're heavy and edgy. Just a simple, effective riff and some menacing keyboard sounds from Jordan (The Mirror's keys are heavy AF) to create a good prog metal heavy song that doesn't try to out-Metallica Metallica.

4. Hollow Years / When your Time Has Come
The ballad-ish, guitar driven slow piece. I don't want them to write a song that actually resembles those, it's just a reference for something simple with a great chorus, I would have used Beneath the Surface also but the song should have full instrumentation and not just be an acoustic piece.

5. Home
I use this song as a reference for "the epic centerpiece of the album". They always had bigass closing epics, when was the last time the main song of the album was in the middle? we could argue about Lines in the Sand / Trial of Tears and which one is the better or "most important" song of FII, but just for the placement, Lines in the Sand is definitively an epic in the middle and so is Home, which I like way more than LITS.
Have the longest song of the album in the middle.

6. The Answer
The Astonishing had the most unique song structures of their carrer given the nature of the project. They wrote a short interlude 'cause the story needed it. What prevents them from doing a little short song just for the heck of it, in case Rudess or Petrucci comes up with it while doodling around on their instruments? if randomly a very short song pops up, go for it, don't try to embellish that section into another longer song!

7. Peruvian Skies / Endless Sacrifice
Something that starts slow and then becomes heavy. Two somehow distinct sections of the songs that work well together, with a natural and not abrupt progression from slow to heavy.

8. Erotomania but with vocals at the end
They'll probably do another instrumental, and if they do, I want something melodic with memorable and "hummable" parts, like Erotomania or even Dance of Eternity. Anyway, and for this I have no reference, how cool would it be if there'd be a sang "chorus" at the end? like their overtures (1928, Dystopian etc) there's a recurring theme throughout the song (more than one actually), for this imaginary instrumental I'd like for it to have a main musical theme, and at the end of the song, that theme gets actually a chorus sang by James.

9. Space Dye Vest / Far From Heaven
Time for another somber, moody piano slow piece.

10. A blend of Trial of Tears and Finally Free
Couldn't really decide between the two, I want the other epic, the closing one, to have a mix of elements of both: different sections, some acoustic / mellow parts (ToT has it at the end, FF has it at the beginning), a scenery painted with the music and the lyrics imaginery, lot of melody, and a grand finale.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Had MM not been let go, View times 10 and then to the power of the Planck constant (technically speaking of course and in terms of precision, technical difficulty and precision are the two aspects that define music to me after all, it's not music otherwise) I don't care too much about the style the music is in, but that won't happen as we know.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 07:10:50 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
1. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

2. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

3. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

4. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

5. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

6. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

7. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

8. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
1. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

2. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

3. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

4. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

5. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

6. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

7. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

8. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.
Bitch stole my post
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Facts, Boo.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't have any specific wants, other than to make music they are inspired to me.  But I've been obsessed with Scardust's song "Concrete Cages" for the past year, so maybe they could bring in Patty Gurdy to guest on a track.

Online pg1067

Yes, please.  And dear god...no Pink Floydish stuff (well...one song would be ok).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I would like Dream Theater to do what they want, first and foremost. But if I were in the room and had an opinion of value to them, I would say this:

Do something you've never done, except in spurts -- write songs with tons of atmosphere, where less playing makes for a moodier and more impactful song. Not saying I'd want an entire album of "Space Dye Vest" and "Anna Lee," but I'd love for that more spacey feeling to be the prominent potion of the record, and the more crazy stuff to be restrained. Just to do it. Probably a very unpopular opinion here on DTF.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
I would like Dream Theater to do what they want, first and foremost. But if I were in the room and had an opinion of value to them, I would say this:

Do something you've never done, except in spurts -- write songs with tons of atmosphere, where less playing makes for a moodier and more impactful song. Not saying I'd want an entire album of "Space Dye Vest" and "Anna Lee," but I'd love for that more spacey feeling to be the prominent potion of the record, and the more crazy stuff to be restrained. Just to do it. Probably a very unpopular opinion here on DTF.  :lol

You inspired me and reminded me to re-number my previous track list:

D. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

Y. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

N. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

A. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

M. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

I. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

C. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

S. A song they had fun writing, not forcibly conditioned by self-imposed gimmicks, no pandering to the sonic fad du jour. Or, really whatever they like.

Offline emtee

My take would be, write about something that matters to you. In this way emotion is attached without having to attempt to create it.

Other than that, have fun, enjoy each other's company and rejoice in the moment.

Online HOF

I'm not gonna write the album for them, and I bet you guys wouldn't like the album I wrote for them!

Mostly, I just want them to make music that moves me as much as their first 5 albums did (through SFAM more or less). I don't necessarily want them to make music that sounds like any of those albums in particular, but I want music that has a similar impact on me.

Offline porcacultor

C'mon guys, are you shy? Take my lead! I made up a whole ridiculous album in my head and wrote about it, it doesn't hurt  :lol

I think another way to rephrase this topic is "if you were the band's producer for this album, what would each track be like?". Because of course, as fans, all we want is for them to put in the work and get someplace honest and enticing... but where's the fun in that?

Of course this is just meant as a very lighthearted tease, what I mean is I genuinely would like to know what kind of album comes out of fellow DTFers' heads as fantasy producers.

Offline Progmaniac1988

I’ll be happy with a fresh sounding DT album mixing the best of all worlds, but if I had to pick

1 - a 20ish min more experimental epic more in the vein of ocavarium/six degrees
2 - a banger in the vein of as I am
3 - a more heavy 10ish min song glass prison/nightmare type
4 - a memorable ballad (surrounded kind)
5 - a instrumental
6 - something in the vein of blind faith
7 - something super catchy in vein of take the time
8 - a 10ish min song in the vein of trial of tears

That would be nice lol
I’m sure whatever the guys put together will be fantastic.

Offline Dream Team

Maybe not this album, but on the next one I kinda like what Yes did on Fragile.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

/thread.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
1. A major key keep upbeat song like TT, BW or LG. I think they've done an incredible job the last couple albums channeling their inner Rush. You can't avoid the Rush influence on those riffs but the way the songs are put together it is virtuosic and heavy. Very unmistakably DT.

2. A ballad. DT ballads are hit or miss for me and there is no overarching way I think about the good ones vs the not good ones. Just hope they have one this time. Obviously, View did not.

3. No more radio friendly song as they sometimes do (think BMUBMD). I did like Paralyzed but don't want to hear it attempted again.

4. Whatever else they want to do, have at it.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
1. Energetic opening song. Not an epic, maybe 7 minutes max.

2. The radio friendly single.

3. Heavier song featuring the 8 string.

4. This one fucking sucks  :metal

5. Instrumental

6. 10 minute song about something

7. Piano Ballad

8. The epic. A song about idk a dream or something

9. A shorter, softer cool-down song to close out the album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
1. Energetic opening song. Not an epic, maybe 7 minutes max.

2. The radio friendly single.

3. Heavier song featuring the 8 string.

4. This one fucking sucks  :metal

5. Instrumental

6. 10 minute song about something

7. Piano Ballad

8. The epic. A song about idk a dream or something

9. A shorter, softer cool-down song to close out the album.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Create songs styles inspired by Mirrormask? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

I’m not going to get specific. But I just want an album that is truly ALL OVER THE PLACE.  The only way I’m going to be disappointed is if we basically just get a single style throughout.  TOT worked for what it was (Mike wanted to do one album that was like NOTB or MOP and I’d say he mostly succeeded with that vision). But DT first made me fall in love with them for their diversity.

IAW: track 1 - Yes playing like Metallica; Track 2 - Kenny G; Track 3 - funky jazzy metal; track 4 - ballad with an odd off kilter rhythm.  I just loved that every track almost sounded like a different band, but still had a single band signature

8V, even though it has an overarching theme, displays all the different sounds and styles that makes DT who they are. It’s all over the place stylistically, and yet still maintains a unified cohesive vision.

So that’s when I think DT is at their very best. Give me a mixed bag of varying styles and influences and wrap it all up in a bow and I will laugh and dance and sing and head bang my little heart out!  :metal :metal :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MirrorMask

I’m not going to get specific. But I just want an album that is truly ALL OVER THE PLACE.  The only way I’m going to be disappointed is if we basically just get a single style throughout.  TOT worked for what it was (Mike wanted to do one album that was like NOTB or MOP and I’d say he mostly succeeded with that vision). But DT first made me fall in love with them for their diversity.

I agree, I'd like to see more diversity. The latest album had 7 songs; one was an epic, one was a lighter melodic one, and five were heavy pieces. Not enough variety.

So that’s when I think DT is at their very best. Give me a mixed bag of varying styles and influences and wrap it all up in a bow and I will laugh and dance and sing and head bang my little heart out!  :metal :metal :metal

Hear hear  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness

BUT WHICH ONE IS THE LONGEST?!?!

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHICH IS GOING TO BE MY FAVORITE?!?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
#5, #8.

Offline porcacultor

#5, #8.

Heh. Not Unlike you to Unearth these Goofy Gems and then Exit The Scene.

Offline Kocak

I want them to do a 45-minute banger. An album free of bloat, though I'm pretty sure we'll get a 77-minute album.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
#5, #8.

Heh. Not Unlike you to Unearth these Goofy Gems and then Exit The Scene.

Not my fault. I was bitten by a radioactive kender when in high school.

Offline fibreoptix

I'd personally be interested to hear an album in the spirit of Transatlantic, especially now that they might be through. Maybe something bookended with two full on Prog epics with a ballad and a shorter, livelier track in the middle? Might be cool!

Offline Polarbear

This sounds like a fun idea! :metal

I'll provide very brief descriptions, but other than that, let the music do the talking.

1. Running Low/ On The Backs of Angels (Leprous/DT)
Moody intro into a tried and true DT jam.

2. Best I Can (Queensryche)
Radio friendly Prog Metal tune.

3. Hall of Echoes (Threshold)
Heavy song with some great melodies.

4. Alpha (Periphery)
Heaviest song DT has ever done. A relentless 5 minute prog metal assault.

5. 1985 (Haken)
Mini epic with some clever synth work.

6. Panopticom (Peter Gabriel)
Shifting gears into a poppier song.

7. When All is Lost (Symphony X)
Another mini epic. This one has a lot of piano.

8. Heroes and Villains (Poets of the Fall)
Straight up Ballad. Very little prog influences in this one.

9. The Light And Shade of Things (Fates Warning)
Closing epic. Starts slow and builds up into a majestic epic song.