Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Top "50" Albums - surprise #22 - way before lonestar...  (Read 7109 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's Top "50" Favorite Albums - FernGully
« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2024, 06:35:01 PM »
He has shaved it before, but yeah, he doesn't look right without it.  Kind of like Mikael Akerfeldt.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2024, 06:42:10 PM »
Can't add anything to this update.  If I ain't sitting down and listening to Beethoven, there's no way I'm chilling to Yanni.  :lol

He has a boss mustache though.

Yea that mustache can't be stopped :lol

It's glorious!!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline HOF

« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2024, 10:30:22 PM »
Listened to the Amy Grant song, and yeah, you can definitely tell it's Dan Huff right away there. We've talked before I think about how much I like the solo on Good For Me from that same album (different guy).

Listening to Yanni. It's nice music. The bass solo is awesome. This is the kind of music that I like the sound of, and I like when other artists kind of incorporate it into their sound, but not sure if I'd get into an album of all that kind of music or not. But I definitely might. I think I watched some of this concert at my uncle's house a long time ago at a family gathering. I have a vague memory of it at least.

The David Lanz piece is nice. Feels like there is a lot of video game music like this.

Nocturne piece is very nice as well. Love the sounds here. Also reminds me of some video game music I've heard before.

So I definitely am open to this type of music, just not something I've ever really sought out before, but there are elements of it in a lot of stuff that I like (Kip Winger's solo stuff comes to mind as one notable example).

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's Top "50" Favorite Albums - Shine
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2024, 06:50:42 AM »
Yanni - "The Rain Must Fall (Live At the Acropolis version)"

For reasons I still don't entirely understand, Yanni was something of a punching bag for music critics in the 90s, but this live album of his is really a stealth prog album that not nearly enough people have heard.  I didn't conceptualize it that way at the time, but in retrospect it's obvious that it planted some seeds for me.  The whole album is excellent, but this track in particular I find riveting, with a stellar bass solo and fills throughout from Ric Fierabracci, who later worked with Virgil Donati and others, and a soaring violin solo from Karen Briggs.  This is likely the beginning of my fascination with violin as a soloing instrument.  Yanni's other albums range from more of these kinds of large ensemble/orchestral affairs to softer solo piano to Vangelis-like electronic prog rock early on.  Another tune, "One Man's Dream" (in expanded form on this live album but also originally more stripped-down on In My Time), is my other primary inspiration, along with Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" and Elton John, to learn the piano.

Nice! Yanni is awesome.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2024, 07:32:08 AM »
Listened to the Amy Grant song, and yeah, you can definitely tell it's Dan Huff right away there. We've talked before I think about how much I like the solo on Good For Me from that same album (different guy).

Listening to Yanni. It's nice music. The bass solo is awesome. This is the kind of music that I like the sound of, and I like when other artists kind of incorporate it into their sound, but not sure if I'd get into an album of all that kind of music or not. But I definitely might. I think I watched some of this concert at my uncle's house a long time ago at a family gathering. I have a vague memory of it at least.

The David Lanz piece is nice. Feels like there is a lot of video game music like this.

Nocturne piece is very nice as well. Love the sounds here. Also reminds me of some video game music I've heard before.

So I definitely am open to this type of music, just not something I've ever really sought out before, but there are elements of it in a lot of stuff that I like (Kip Winger's solo stuff comes to mind as one notable example).

:tup

Yeah, the "Good For Me" solo is Jerry McPherson.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2024, 07:58:45 AM »
Roots and Influences:

F - celtic music

So I was a bit coy about the connection from the previous set to this one, though it's not hard to figure out from the uillean pipes towards the end of "Nocturne".  This whole area of music has been probably the single biggest revolution in reviving my interest in it for the past year.  In my roulette senecadawg2 sent a couple songs from Loreena McKennitt, who I'd heard a few others from before and liked, but never explored for no particular reason.  That awakened this dormant interest in me, and on and off since then I've spent quite a bit of time relistening to this music, and checking out related artists.  Technically this is also my parents' collection as well, again my father's, who had a fascination with it for awhile.  Certain slants of it go hand-in-hand with new age music, though others don't.  But for the most part I didn't really investigate this approach on my own when I was younger, I just absorbed it from my father playing it around the house, in the car and such.

What I didn't realize at the time but can see so clearly now, is that some of this is really a strong precursor to getting into prog rock a bit later, since some of this music can be a bit proggy at times with certain artists.  And once I started thinking about it more specifically, I can see a lot of traits and influences of Celtic music on various artists I got into later, but just didn't conceptualize in that way at the time.  It's been gradually revealing a whole world of music that had been right under my nose for decades.  And to knod to the Scorsesean title prompted by soupy, I suppose this was in my blood all along, since I actually am part-Irish. 

Enya - "Evacuee"

We end yesterday's and start today's with a bit of stylistic overlap.  Enya was one of my father's favorites, who I liked but didn't fully appreciate at the time, but have grown in fondness for over the years.  Her music is one of the earlier entries in a now quite long lineage of music that I can understand why some might find it boring, but for me it is soothing, calming, and relaxing.  I really love her type of smooth and ethereal vocal delivery, and along with some other music I'll discuss in later chapters, is likely a sizeable influence on some later artists I've gotten into.  It also planted a seed for music based more on atmosphere via production and layering than anything else, which I would get away from for awhile, but would come back to eventually and has accounted for a significiant chunk of my listening in recent years. 

Iona - "Bi-Se I Mo Shuil"

The level of multi-instrumental talent in this group is quite astounding.  They are led by Dave Bainbridge, who is equally proficient at guitar and keyboards (even more noticeable on his later solo recordings - he often seems somewhere inbetween Steve Hackett, Allan Holdsworth, and Keith Emerson), and is perfectly complimented by Joanne Hogg, who has one of the most pure and elegant voices I've ever heard, and also contributes some additional keyboards and rhythm guitar.  Terl Bryant is on drums on this particular recording, and soon after they would have Frank van Essen, who is equally skilled at violin as he is at drumming. 

Among their ranks have been a number of other excellent bass and auxiliary instrument performers, but of most interest in the prog sphere are bassist Nick Beggs, who was on their earlier albums, and Troy Donockley on uillean pipes, whistles, and other assorted instruments, who some will recognize from later on joining Nightwish.  The soaring synchronized leads from Dave and Troy are often some of the more exhilarating parts of their songs, which you get an excellent example of on this song, with an ever-shifting dance between the two of them and Mike Haughton on other auxiliary wind instruments and Peter Whitfield on violin. 

My epiphanies about this music have even led to me reevaluating later Nightwish, which I've historically had more qualms with, but am now thinking about in a new light given my realization that I've been listening to Troy's work for far longer than I realized.  Robert Fripp also guests on a couple other tracks on this album.  With the number of connections they have, they're really a gem hiding in plain sight, though the many calmer Enya-like sections on their albums might limit their reach a bit. 

Eden's Bridge - "The One You Left Behind"

Technically this is an Iona spin-off, with both Troy and Terl involved at various points, with a different cast of other musicians.  This highlights more of uillean pipe playing as well as flute, this time from Michael McGoldrick, and the sublime vocals of Sarah Lacy-Bird (bird-o-meter #3?). 

Tracks #17-#19:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0T4IGrbCzG3ZV4128ZKOl5
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLISicXPLSax9twb8XnAQzmWSaoESqHpUc

Enya - "Evacuee"
Iona - "Bi-Se I Mo Shuil"
Eden's Bridge - "The One You Left Behind"
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 08:34:31 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's Top "50" Favorite Albums - The Irishman
« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2024, 08:01:07 AM »
Not familiar with Iona or Eden's Bridge (I don't think), but Enya is very nice.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2024, 08:34:13 AM »
Ok, I'm also adding everything to a running Youtube playlist as well.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2024, 09:47:04 AM »
Roots and Influences:

G - smooth jazz

We're really comin' in hot now.  Uttering the mere phrase can make one a pariah in refined musical circles, so can I successfully dance on the edge of the blade?  We shall see.  I never listened to the radio on my own a lot until high school (and not much after either), I just absorbed whatever my parents had on.  But one day when I was 11 I turned on the radio on a whim, and the first station that caught my ear was the local smooth jazz station.  Say what you want, but sometimes people need gateways, and who knows when or if I'd have gotten into more "authentic" jazz later on if I hadn't been exposed to the more maligned form first.  And quite honestly some of the music in the genre goes completely overlooked. 

The Jazzmasters - "Sound of Summer"

I'm fairly confident that one of if not the very first song I heard on that smooth jazz station was "Lost Summer", from Paul Hardcastle, who is the main figure behind The Jazzmasters, and it's really kind of a Devin Townsend situation in terms of why the projects even need different names.  I just happen to like this song even more, with the silky vocals of Helen Rogers, and Gary Barnacle's infectious saxophone and flute work. 

Dancing Fantasy - "Fly"

Another group I discovered on that station, this track epitomizes what I love about this sound when executed properly.  It's relaxing in all the right ways, and sometimes nothing else will do.  Like the previous song, the standouts are also the saxophone work of Heiner Schmitz, and the refreshing vocals of Sam Leigh-Brown. 

Kenny G - "Esther"

Yep.  You read that right.  Possibly the most disliked figure in modern music history by critics and snobs, but I didn't know any better at the time.  Nor do I care much now.  I don't listen to him very often anymore, but I still find some of his work rather beautiful, like this particular piece, and he had more impact on my interest in learning saxophone than anyone.  Is this really jazz?  Nah, but it doesn't matter. 

Tracks #20-#22:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0T4IGrbCzG3ZV4128ZKOl5

The Jazzmasters - "Sound of Summer"
Dancing Fantasy - "Fly"
Kenny G - "Esther"

---

If I've scared you off, know that the first two songs don't sound terribly much like Kenny G, and even his track probably doesn't sound exactly like you think it does either. 

---

I have also neglected one artist in this section, because it will lead to the first surprise reveal of a top 60 album entry tomorrow.  Guesses as to who it is are always welcome. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's Top "50" Favorite Albums - Cube
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2024, 09:52:25 AM »
Smooth jazz is not my favorite kind of jazz, but I do not bear it the hatred that many people do.  It definitely has its place.

I can't place these specific tracks off the top of my head, but I know I've listened to plenty by the Jazzmasters and Kenny G.

I have heard some absolutely dreadful things said about Kenny G by some other jazz artists.  So much that I'm pretty sure it reeks of jealousy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2024, 09:57:53 AM »
I have heard some absolutely dreadful things said about Kenny G by some other jazz artists.  So much that I'm pretty sure it reeks of jealousy.

Pat Metheny's rant about him is one of the more immature and petty things I've ever read by a "classy" professional musician. 

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2024, 09:58:57 AM »
I'm guessing the missing act: US3 or George Benson.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2024, 10:00:15 AM »
Benson is fantastic, but it's not him.  I'm sure I know some US3 material, though it's been ages since I've heard them. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2024, 12:31:20 PM »

Pat Metheny's rant about him is one of the more immature and petty things I've ever read by a "classy" professional musician.
Yeah, that was a standout.  It was so rough that I found it hard to believe someone like Metheny would say things like that about ANY musician.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2024, 12:35:42 PM »
I make no bones; the Kenny G Christmas albums are a staple. LOVE them.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2024, 12:37:33 PM »

Yeah, that was a standout.  It was so rough that I found it hard to believe someone like Metheny would say things like that about ANY musician.
Agreed, it made me think less of Pat honestly

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2024, 12:37:44 PM »
The Jazzmasters - "Sound of Summer" reminded me of Streets of Rage 2!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2024, 12:41:48 PM »

Agreed, it made me think less of Pat honestly

It's worse because while he's done some great stuff, it's not like he doesn't have his own commercialized wallpaper music too, some played on all the same stations (and elevators?) as Kenny. 

The Jazzmasters - "Sound of Summer" reminded me of Streets of Rage 2
I've heard of that, any particular tune from it?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2024, 12:45:23 PM »
I make no bones; the Kenny G Christmas albums are a staple. LOVE them.
No bones to be made.  It's pretty good stuff, IMO.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2024, 05:28:22 PM »

And make no mistake Kenny G is the real deal. Does he make some super schmaltzy garbage? Sure! Does all of his stuff agree with me? Not at all!

However if he can hold his own guesting in an Avant-Garde Technical Death Metal band he can play almost anything with that sax.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2024, 05:57:05 PM »

What an incredible game.  Shoutout to overlooked third installment from that series too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2024, 05:57:29 PM »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2024, 05:59:31 PM »

What an incredible game.  Shoutout to overlooked third installment from that series too.

Dude, this and Golden Axe were absolute staples of my childhood. It became a comfort thing to just blitz through this at my mates house on a Saturday morning, then go out riding our bikes. I think I only ever played the first two though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2024, 06:10:13 PM »

Dude, this and Golden Axe were absolute staples of my childhood. It became a comfort thing to just blitz through this at my mates house on a Saturday morning, then go out riding our bikes. I think I only ever played the first two though.

YES!!  Number 2 is where its at but I really liked number 3 too.  It obviously won't match the nostalgia, but worth a play if you ever get into the emulators.

Golden Axe was quite good.  Was never a staple but did get into it a little.

When it comes to Megadrive, Sonic was my love affair.  Every time I think about sitting and playing those games, I feel all warm and cozy inside.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2024, 08:13:20 PM »
Don't think I've heard of Golden Axe.

The Mega Drive was called a Sega Genesis over here, and while I didn't have one, I had friends that did, so I played a decent amount of Sonic games there.  This is becoming nostalgia overload in ways I didn't quite anticipate.   ;D   Some other video game stuff coming up fairly soon, actually. 

And make no mistake Kenny G is the real deal. Does he make some super schmaltzy garbage? Sure! Does all of his stuff agree with me? Not at all!

However if he can hold his own guesting in an Avant-Garde Technical Death Metal band he can play almost anything with that sax.

Imperial Triumphant has single-handedly given him some metal street cred.  Maybe not for lonestar.  :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2024, 05:13:45 AM »

YES!!  Number 2 is where its at but I really liked number 3 too.  It obviously won't match the nostalgia, but worth a play if you ever get into the emulators.

Golden Axe was quite good.  Was never a staple but did get into it a little.

When it comes to Megadrive, Sonic was my love affair.  Every time I think about sitting and playing those games, I feel all warm and cozy inside.

100%. Sonic 2 in particular was the one me and my mates completed over and over.

@Litho, Golden Axe was basically just the fantasy version of Streets of Rage. You could cast magic and play as a dwarf (best character) who could do flying headbutts and a spinning kick with his axe...

Oh, you could also ride dragons and shit. The first time I played this was on my mates Amiga! I was probably like 6 or 7.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2024, 03:42:29 PM »

Artist:  Sade
Album:  Love Deluxe
Genre(s):  smooth soul
Release date:  1992

So in my roots/influence section on smooth jazz, I intentionally neglected to mention the most important artist I discovered on the smooth jazz station I was listening to in late elementary school - Sade Adu.  They played Sade's music quite often, and it was always a highlight for me, and easily the artist from that period for me that has had the most staying power.  The most important element is her vocals, which are elegant and endlessly refreshing, and which carry the vibrant melodies of so many indelible songs.  She's also had the perfect band around her to elevate the material even further, with Stuart Matthewman's luxurious saxophone and guitar playing, Andrew Hale's delightful keyboards, and Paul Denman's foundational bass grooves. 

I think "smooth jazz" has so frequently been considered a pejorative term that there's a tendency for people to take artists and albums that perhaps at one point fit into it, and to gerrymander them into other more "respectable" categories, in this case, into "smooth soul".  It's that too for sure, but in reality stylistically it's somewhere inbetween.  Stuart's saxophone soloing in particular gives it that lean, with more improvisation than you'll typically find in other soul music. 

Selecting an album was no easy task.  I debated most strongly between this one and Promise, which has "The Sweetest Taboo", possibly my favorite song of her's (or is it "Somebody Already Broke My Heart" off the still excellent but slightly less consistent Lovers Rock?).  I'm mostly avoiding live albums on the list, but she also has two outstanding ones in Lovers Live and Bring Me Home, which while not necessarily superior to the studio versions, are different in various highly enjoyable ways. 

I often select favorite albums based on high points more than consistency, but this is one counterexample where the latter wins out.  There's no such thing as a weak track here.  Maybe the instrumental "Mermaid" comes closest, since it doesn't have Sade singing, and a couple of the keyboard sounds are a tad dated, but it's still a nice atmospheric piece.  My favorite track over time has become "Feel No Pain", but they are all superb, with the acoustic guitar-driven "Like a Tattoo" and the exquisitely haunting "Pearls" as conspicuously notable other tracks. 

The whole album:
https://open.spotify.com/album/2PfGKHtqEX58bHtkQxJnWG

Song highlight:  "Bullet Proof Soul"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flbeNTY6Ol4

All the key elements of her style are here in abundance. 

Another flavor:  "No Ordinary Love"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpBx6tR8dck

She's not the artist you go to for if you're looking for rock, but some songs like "No Ordinary Love" have more overdriven electric guitar than most of her's if you need that as an anchor, plus a groovy bass line.  A segment of the forum may have already potentially heard the Deftones' cover of it, which is obviously heavier. 

In action:

"Kiss of Life" (2002 Lovers Live version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgwkXpgiYuE

Possibly the best tandem of her vocals with Stuart's saxophone playing. 

---

The ongoing top 60 album highlights playlists:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1iz6CsS0htUVpMPhV28kkR
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLISicXPLSax_vL9waPRPoqhwURuIICm2T

---

Been a rather crazy day, so a bit later of a post, and I want to try and give at least a full-day for the actual top 60 album entries to marinate, so we'll return back to the roots/influences probably Saturday. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 03:51:56 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Always been curious about her music and that album in particular, will prob check it out after the roulette is over :corn

Online SoundscapeMN

my wife loves Sade. She just got nominated for the Rock Hall.

And even Jake Rudh plays her stuff in his "Sophisti-Pop" on Twitch.

so..maybe I missed something, but #36?..are you doing these at random?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
#36? What happened to 50-37?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I have also neglected one artist in this section, because it will lead to the first surprise reveal of a top 60 album entry tomorrow.

There will also be a few other spontaneous reveals throughout the roots/influences section before we more systematically get to the rest of the top albums. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
My wife would probably love these though, as she's been digging this sound in recent years.

my wife loves Sade.

If I didn't already some preplanned titles for these I should have subtitled the thread for this stretch, "music for your wives".  :lol
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 05:19:28 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have also neglected one artist in this section, because it will lead to the first surprise reveal of a top 60 album entry tomorrow.

There will also be a few other spontaneous reveals throughout the roots/influences section before we more systematically get to the rest of the top albums.

huh?  So you're saying most of the artists in your top 50 you wouldn't as influences, yet an 'influence' like Sade gets a random place at 36?  I'm confused.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
The music I'm going through in the roots/influences section takes me about from childhood to the middle of high school. 

Most of the top 60 is music I discovered after that.

But there are a handful or two of artists/albums I did find earlier on that are both a root/influence and a top 60 entry.  Those are being revealed as they come up and being placed at their ranking in the main list. 

Is that more clear?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah...I guess...