Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Top "50" Albums - surprise #22 - way before lonestar...  (Read 6892 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's Top "50" Favorite Albums - Shine
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2024, 05:32:22 PM »
The composers are fucking geniuses but I have never felt the urge to sit down and crank some Beethoven.

Unless it's this Beethoven, am I right?..

https://youtu.be/Q8UGAbAPPkk?feature=shared

Tieing into the conversation. For me, this movie and soundtrack was HUGELY influential on my musical journey and DNA.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2024, 05:33:01 PM »
What movie?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2024, 05:34:44 PM »
"When you hear Dm they are still shooting, on Cm they're already dead" - Ennio Morricone.

Jokes aside, classical composers selected pitches mainly for the qualities a peculiar set of frequencies involves. It's not accident Chopin's Funeral March is in Cm, or Beethoven's Hymn to Joy movement in the 9th Symphony is in D

, and so on. Tradition then consolidated the practice, reinforcing the use.

With jazz, pop, and then rock music, the pitch selection process shifted progressively towards a "X-instrument friendly" approach. 

See, this sort of discussion is why I held off a few months to start this thread.  I was waiting for you and didn't even know it.  :)  Except Chopin's "Funeral March" is Bbm.  :p
[br]I think a lot of rock/metal bands pick tunings and keys more around the vocalist's voice and range though, since with extended range instruments, different string gauges and such you can pretty much be in whatever
key you want to be.

I think this is mainly correct although I've always wondered why some bands pick and stick the way they do with certain keys and tunings.  I guess it does come back to the vocalist as you say but you look at a band like DT where they can literally utilize every key on every song on an album.  Incredible and shows the musicianship.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2024, 05:35:25 PM »
The composers are fucking geniuses but I have never felt the urge to sit down and crank some Beethoven.

Tieing into the conversation. For me, this movie and soundtrack was HUGELY influential on my musical journey and DNA.

Fuck I love that scene!!  He's ripping the shit out of the piano and doesn't give a fuck what's going on around him!!!  :lol :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2024, 05:37:04 PM »
That was one soundtrack on CD I was always looking for when I was out.  Never could find a copy.  Could have ordered it online but was always on the lookout.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2024, 05:41:00 PM »

Fuck I love that scene!!  He's ripping the shit out of the piano and doesn't give a fuck what's going on around him!!!  :lol :metal

I would play it over, and over on VHS, just rewinding that scene! I didn't fully comprehend what I was hearing at the time, or what the genre of music was, I just know I loved it. It fucking spoke to my soul. Nuno was kinda my first guitar hero, even though I didn't know it.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2024, 05:41:17 PM »
From the fine details of the nuances of selecting keys for a composition to Bill & Ted, this thread has it all now.   ;D   I actually own the B&T soundtrack on CD, some nice tunes on there.  Didn't see the film until a bit later though, so it didn't have quite the impact I'm sure it did for some others who saw it when they were younger. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2024, 05:47:29 PM »
In terms of lighter fare, possibly the movie that had the most impact on me was Back to the Future.  There are at least four separate impossible to forget music-related scenes in it. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2024, 05:49:50 PM »
I too had that recorded off the TV on a VHS and would watch it so much.  Again, like Luke, it fucking spoke to me but I didn't come to know most of the music and people involved until much later.

The soundtrack to the follow up movie, Bojus Journey is awesome too.  Winger!  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2024, 05:50:28 PM »
In terms of lighter fare, possibly the movie that had the most impact on me was Back to the Future.  There are at least four separate impossible to forget music-related scenes in it.

Marty could certainly rip the axe!  :metal

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2024, 05:52:27 PM »
I picked up the guitar right after coming home from watching Back to the Future at the cinema.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2024, 05:55:45 PM »
I picked up the guitar right after coming home from watching Back to the Future at the cinema.

I saw Back To the Future at the movies too!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2024, 05:58:46 PM »

Fantastic.  I almost wonder why I don't hear that story more often.  I'll have something slightly similar coming up in a few days. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2024, 07:20:08 AM »
Roots and Influences:

E - new age music

For some reason music with this label became stigmatized, which I suspect still persists to this day to some extent.  Like every genre, there are some gems waiting to be found though.  Technically two of these artists also came from my parents' collection, as my father was into this kind of music for awhile, and that filtered down to me. 

Yanni - "The Rain Must Fall (Live At the Acropolis version)"

For reasons I still don't entirely understand, Yanni was something of a punching bag for music critics in the 90s, but this live album of his is really a stealth prog album that not nearly enough people have heard.  I didn't conceptualize it that way at the time, but in retrospect it's obvious that it planted some seeds for me.  The whole album is excellent, but this track in particular I find riveting, with a stellar bass solo and fills throughout from Ric Fierabracci, who later worked with Virgil Donati and others, and a soaring violin solo from Karen Briggs.  This is likely the beginning of my fascination with violin as a soloing instrument.  Yanni's other albums range from more of these kinds of large ensemble/orchestral affairs to softer solo piano to Vangelis-like electronic prog rock early on.  Another tune, "One Man's Dream" (in expanded form on this live album but also originally more stripped-down on In My Time), is my other primary inspiration, along with Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" and Elton John, to learn the piano. 

David Lanz - "Cristofori's Dream"

My piano teacher turned me on to this piece, which I was fascinated by, and spurred me on to seek out other similar pieces.  I adore how you can musically tell a non-verbal story and go on an entire journey with just a single take of one instrument.  David has recorded a number of different versions of this piece, but this particular solo piano version is the one that spellbound me.  It's still quite enjoyable to play as well.  In hindsight it's clear now that this was an extension of my interest in solo classical piano works from the previous section.   That will tend to be a theme throughout these.  Though not entirely arranged chronologically, there is often some blend and crossover from one section to the next (though some will be far more jarring). 

Secret Garden - "Nocturne"

Technically also part of my father's collection, this turned out to be quite a monumental album for me, even much more so now than I realized back then.  Is is another stealth honorable mention.  There are a variety of different tunes on the album, including some more piano and violin-driven, which is often their signature sound, but some of the instrumentation in this particular track hints at and connects this section with the upcoming one.  Secret Garden describe their music as being like scores to films never made, and it has a powerful and cinematic feel at times.  I didn't realize this until quite some time later, but Norwegian composer/pianist for the group Rolf Løvland is likely the origin point of my fascination with Nordic musicians, even outside of metal.  Irish violinist Fionnualla Sherry isn't as prominent on this song as many of their others, but can still be heard throughout, and further built my interest in the instrument.  Many of the songs on the album are instrumental, but this one has a dash of vocals, which make it a bit more unique. 

Tracks #14-#16:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0T4IGrbCzG3ZV4128ZKOl5
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLISicXPLSax9twb8XnAQzmWSaoESqHpUc

Yanni - "The Rain Must Fall"
David Lanz - "Cristofori's Dream"
Secret Garden - "Nocturne"
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 08:35:08 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's Top "50" Favorite Albums - FernGully
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2024, 07:23:26 AM »
You finally lost me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2024, 07:28:50 AM »
Have you heard any of the pieces?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2024, 07:51:29 AM »

I've been thinking about this since you first started the thread dude. The foundations for my musical tastes basically boil down to three things. Influence from my Dad, older brother and older sister (The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Nirvana and Portishead), video game music (specifically FF7, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and the Zelda games) and movie soundtracks.

You mention Back to the Future, and that was also massive for me. As an 80s kid, I grew up on all the great Sci fi so John Williams Soundtracks were very important to me, as well as Bill and Ted (as mentioned) and Wayne's World.

I'm not sure which out of the three has the bigger influence, but the movie soundtracks definitely had an impact earlier. I don't think I consciously realised how moving those scores were to me (especially Star Wars and E.T.) but looking back they are the reason epic, grandiose music has such an impact, and why Metallica's S&M is my all time favourite live album.

I too had that recorded off the TV on a VHS and would watch it so much.  Again, like Luke, it fucking spoke to me but I didn't come to know most of the music and people involved until much later.

The soundtrack to the follow up movie, Bojus Journey is awesome too.  Winger!  :metal

Dude, we were just living the dream on other sides of the globe! I remember me and my best mate went dressed as Bill and Ted to a school non uniform day!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 08:10:40 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2024, 08:15:29 AM »
I don't know.  I have heard some of the Yanni album you referenced, and bits and pieces of Secret Garden.

When I heard it, just didn't care for it/respond to it.  Maybe if I tried it again now it would be different, but I don't know.  Maybe.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2024, 08:16:05 AM »

I've been thinking about this since you first started the thread dude. The foundations for my musical tastes basically boil down to three things. Influence from my Dad, older brother and older sister (The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Nirvana and Portishead), video game music (specifically FF7, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and the Zelda games) and movie soundtracks.

You mention Back to the Future, and that was also massive for me. As an 80s kid, I grew up on all the great Sci fi so John Williams Soundtracks were very important to me, as well as Bill and Ted (as mentioned) and Wayne's World.

I'm not sure which out of the three has the bigger influence, but the movie soundtracks definitely had an impact earlier. I don't think I consciously realised how moving those scores were to me (especially Star Wars and E.T.) but looking back they are the reason epic, grandiose music has such an impact, and why Metallica's S&M is my all time favourite live album.

Some of that will definitely come up later.  I didn't pick it for one of my upcoming selections, but I very easily could have had the Williams Star Wars scores, I had a cassette of them that I wore out.  I listened some to The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Nirvana somewhere in this time frame, though they didn't have as much impact as others.  Portishead came much later and were more of a minor player.  I also didn't see E.T. or Wayne's World until a bit later, though I was aware of them and in particular the "Bohemian Rhapsody" scene, but as I mentioned earlier, their impact on me came from their inclusion in The Mighty Ducks

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2024, 08:22:45 AM »
I don't know.  I have heard some of the Yanni album you referenced, and bits and pieces of Secret Garden.

When I heard it, just didn't care for it/respond to it.  Maybe if I tried it again now it would be different, but I don't know.  Maybe.

Well, I'm sure I'm going to lose and gain different people with each new section or album, that's just how it'll be.  I do hope people can free up their preconceptions about some things though. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's Top "50" Favorite Albums - O Brother, Where Art Thou?
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2024, 08:29:55 AM »
I've literally never heard of Dan Huff.

Where where you in the aftermath of Megadeth's Cryptic Writings and Risk.  He produced those records, and in the remaster liner notes, Mustaine said Huff exerted too much control over the records. 

Also, Top Gun Anthem is amazing.   :metal

Offline HOF

« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2024, 08:30:59 AM »
I’ll try to listen to some of the tracks today. My one new age-ish influence from an early age was that my dad had a couple Andreas Vollenweider records that I used to love. Can see how those actually probably did play a role in shaping my future tastes.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2024, 08:32:44 AM »
I've literally never heard of Dan Huff.

Where where you in the aftermath of Megadeth's Cryptic Writings and Risk.  He produced those records, and in the remaster liner notes, Mustaine said Huff exerted too much control over the records.

The fact that he even worked with Megadeth is fascinating, but those definitely aren't among Huff's finest moments, I'd say.

I’ll try to listen to some of the tracks today. My one new age-ish influence from an early age was that my dad had a couple Andreas Vollenweider records that I used to love. Can see how those actually probably did play a role in shaping my future tastes.

You're actually one of the people I would think would have the highest chances of liking today's set, particularly given some of the stuff you've sent me and the title of your EP in my final round.  I'm not familiar with Andreas, might have to look into him. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2024, 08:53:20 AM »
OK, I'm gonna bite and have a listen to the playlist, as so far I have only listened to the first three songs (two of which I already knew).

First thoughts... I was never a big Top Gun fan but the nostalgia for this sound hits, nonetheless. Remove the vocals and Mighty Wings is a classic 80s wrestling intro!

Lead Me On was pretty lame but Top Gun Anthem is something I can totally get on board with.

These next 4 aren't terrible, but contemporary country is not a genre I find myself wanting to explore. My wife would probably love these though, as she's been digging this sound in recent years.

The 3 classical pieces are nice enough, and I recognise them all (probably from films/TV, I guess) and although they are nice easy listening pieces, I wouldn't personally reach for them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 09:34:57 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2024, 09:29:12 AM »

Well, I'm sure I'm going to lose and gain different people with each new section or album, that's just how it'll be.  I do hope people can free up their preconceptions about some things though.
My only preconception is that I remember not liking what I heard.  However, I have no judgement on the genre.  Nothing requires my approval for it to have intrinsic worth.  Me not liking doesn't matter, not even to me lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2024, 12:05:26 PM »
Remove the vocals and Mighty Wings is a classic 80s wrestling intro!

Almost!  People have noticed the similarity to Ken's Street Fighter theme, was probably a subconscious inspiration for Yoko Shimomura. 

These next 4 aren't terrible, but contemporary country is not a genre I find myself wanting to explore. My wife would probably love these though, as she's been digging this sound in recent years.

Well, if you ever run a roulette for her, looks like you have half a playlist already.  : )

Offline nick_z

« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2024, 02:12:23 PM »
I don't know a ton of stuff from Yanni, but I've always enjoyed what I've heard.

Speaking of new age-ish stuff (not sure if it fully goes under that umbrella, but it was mostly published by Windham Hill, which is somewhat related I guess)...do you know/like Michael Hedges? My understanding is that he was pretty revolutionary when it comes to acoustic guitar playing. A lot of his music is beautiful (in addition to being mighty impressive from a skill/technical point of view)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2024, 02:25:42 PM »
Hmm, you'll have to stay tuned for awhile to see. 

I do have a decent amount of other Windham Hill, Narada, and other compilations and various associated releases for sure.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2024, 05:50:53 PM »
Oh man Live At The Acropolis. My dad loved that album and I just spun it again for the first time in years (I think you commented on it on the what are you listening to thread) and it was a ton better than I remembered.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2024, 06:07:44 PM »
Oh yeah, I really should watch it again myself.  The collection of talent assembled on it and Tribute in particular is just staggering.  "Dance With a Stranger" is a magnificent tune there with flugelhorn, for example.  I should probably look into his later ones as well, but he's just been one of those artists when I'm in the mood for I just never think about listening to their "recent" (like the past two decades) material. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2024, 06:10:51 PM »
Can't add anything to this update.  If I ain't sitting down and listening to Beethoven, there's no way I'm chilling to Yanni.  :lol

He has a boss mustache though.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2024, 06:17:38 PM »
You might potentially enjoy the bass solo in that song more than you'd think.  But for sure not everyone is going to be interested in all of it.  I just hope somewhere along the way a few people are surprised by some things. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2024, 06:24:40 PM »
Can't add anything to this update.  If I ain't sitting down and listening to Beethoven, there's no way I'm chilling to Yanni.  :lol

He has a boss mustache though.

Yea that mustache can't be stopped :lol