Author Topic: Metallica - 72 Seasons - A first listen...  (Read 3259 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Metallica - 72 Seasons - A first listen...
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2024, 04:35:03 PM »
And I just feel like Metallica have never truly found their way back to what made them distinct and "influencers." Other bands have, find a middle ground, etc. But Metallica...at least to my ears, have never quite "made it back."

Again, it's all taste and subjectiveness, but it's incredibly frustrating if you're a fan that doesn't just "accept" what a band does because the band does it.

I hear you, but I am generally happy enough with DM, HW, and 72S, and I accept that they have "made it back" as much as they're going to. It's 75% the same lineup, and I still enjoy hearing them play.
You're really going to have to let it wash over you.

If not, they go in the bucket of Metallica albums you don't care for, and you still have the bucket of the ones you like.

It's funny, but I also get overly critical of bands too, and it's so frustrating that I sound so negative when discussing certain albums. :lol
But it's really borne out of my extreme love for their other output. It's hard to be a dispassionate fan sometimes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2024, 05:16:20 PM »
They are not the same since Justice. Whether we like it or not as individuals, that was the end of that initial METALlica blueprint. Then TBA and Load. I still love Load rather than TBA but both come across as intensively creative albums.

Everything from then on feels forced to a greater or lesser extent to my ears.

72S is the most natural they've sounded in a while to me. It's much too long, too samey, too mid-paced, the rhythm guitars sound sadly weak and scratchy within the mix. Man, these things are so obvious, and so commonly pointed out that's it's amazing it came out in that form, tbh. I still ENJOY it, though. I cut a couple of tracks out and it's pretty tasty.

Bring on a short, fast, Garage-feeling, recorded live in the studio album next, please!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2024, 08:28:12 PM »
IMO everything through Load/ReLoad was Metallica of their purest creative expression. They worked thrash all the way to the top of the mountain, then went even further with rock sensibilities. The actual view from the top of the world, timeless really.

I appreciate St Anger but feel is was over-influenced by nu-metal of the day, and most everything afterward was trying too hard to be something it wasn’t. That was too bad because I feel we missed out on more from the band that was last at Load/ReLoad creatively. I would’ve loved to hear more of that (not trash, but what they were growing into), but with the exception of a few songs we didn’t get much notable the last 20 years because there was too much “trying to find a previous sound”

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2024, 11:47:35 AM »
IMO everything through Load/ReLoad was Metallica of their purest creative expression. They worked thrash all the way to the top of the mountain, then went even further with rock sensibilities. The actual view from the top of the world, timeless really.

I appreciate St Anger but feel is was over-influenced by nu-metal of the day, and most everything afterward was trying too hard to be something it wasn’t. That was too bad because I feel we missed out on more from the band that was last at Load/ReLoad creatively. I would’ve loved to hear more of that (not trash, but what they were growing into), but with the exception of a few songs we didn’t get much notable the last 20 years because there was too much “trying to find a previous sound”

I totally agree with this. The combination of the lukewarm reception (generally) to Load/Reload, followed by the hatred St. Anger received totally shook the band. They always had a tall order trying to follow The Black Album, but I don't think they ever expected to be in the position they were in 20 years ago.

Their live shows never suffered but I feel (I get the impression that James the most) they became too fearful of taking a risk again, so they just played it safe the last 20 years. I kinda get it, bit I wish they'd take a risk, I honestly do. I'd rather something as stylistically different as St. Anger, over another 72 Seasons.

Online nick_z

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2024, 06:52:03 PM »
Yeah, I generally agree with this, Luke...

Incidentally, I will say, I always see Load/ReLoad paired up (rightly so, in a way, since they were quite literally the product of the same sessions) but, honestly, the difference in quality in the first vs. the second is pretty staggering, imo. I don't love all of Load, but there's some great songs on it. I wouldn't overstate how "original" it was - I mean, it was pretty shocking for Metallica at the time, but it's not like the style hadn't been explored before, by a bunch of other bands. Regardless, at least half of that record, taken for what it is, is really good. ReLoad, on the other hand, might well be my least favorite Metallica album. A LOT of it is just unbearably plodding and unmemorable, to my ears at least.

Back to the risk-taking...Death Magnetic was obviously a conscious effort to go back to a more thrashy sound and, as many have observed, it inevitably sounds a bit contrived. There's definitely some good material in there, and overall I enjoy it. I do think, though, that the band at that point had lost the "tightness" that's kinda required for that type of sound. They were never the most technical band, of course, but while James is always James, the, um, "looseness" of Lars' playing, to me, is quite detrimental there. I said it before, so it's clear - 80s Lars is a BIG favorite of mine, so this has nothing do with being super-technical or anything like that. It's just his current approach, even in the studio, that doesn't do it for me.

Hardwired...however, for me, was Metallica being more comfortable in their own (modern) skin. It seemed to me many of the songs felt unburdened from having anything to prove. Moth Into Flame and Atlas, Rise!, in particular, are two of my favorite of theirs  from all the way back to the Black Album. Riffy, punchy, dynamic songs, that could be both hooky and aggressive, the same (but different, of course!) way Metallica always was, even when they were a thrash band. Spit Out the Bone is another one - sure, it's faster and "thrashy", but in a way that feels "Metallica" without truly sounding like old Metallica. As usual, it's a very imperfect album...if it was just the songs from Hardwired to, say, Confusion, and then skip to Spit Out the Bone, it would be a borderline great album...but the stuff in-between does bring it down a bit...

...which brings me to 72 Seasons...I think, as Tim and others pointed out, this is another album where Metallica feels pretty comfortable where they are. But, for me, the songs are not quite there this time. A lot of it does sound like the plodding second half of Hardwired. There's some decent stuff, and James sounds pretty great, but overall I was quite disappointed. Case in point, after giving it many chances (as I always do with Metallica) when it came out, I have rarely revisited it since.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2024, 07:16:35 PM »
Incidentally, I will say, I always see Load/ReLoad paired up (rightly so, in a way, since they were quite literally the product of the same sessions) but, honestly, the difference in quality in the first vs. the second is pretty staggering, imo. I don't love all of Load, but there's some great songs on it. I wouldn't overstate how "original" it was - I mean, it was pretty shocking for Metallica at the time, but it's not like the style hadn't been explored before, by a bunch of other bands. Regardless, at least half of that record, taken for what it is, is really good. ReLoad, on the other hand, might well be my least favorite Metallica album. A LOT of it is just unbearably plodding and unmemorable, to my ears at least.

Amen, brother!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NoFred

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2024, 09:27:39 PM »

Amen, brother!

ReLoad’s highs are equal to Load, and its experimental reach is much much further. I guess I can see how Load has the more conventional tracks on its first side. But overall any best of from the two has equal representation in my book.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2024, 06:04:24 AM »
Sure Reload has Fuel, which is indeed equal to Load, but...highs, as in plural?  :lol
And if you define suckage as experimental reach..that is quite creative. You must write press releases for a living.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2024, 10:06:19 AM »
^ missed my true calling I guess haha

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2024, 01:14:49 PM »
Sure Reload has Fuel, which is indeed equal to Load, but...highs, as in plural?  :lol
And if you define suckage as experimental reach..that is quite creative. You must write press releases for a living.

The highs are pretty equal for me, and Reload has Fuel, The Memory Remains (I do hate the outro on the studio version, but fuck me, the S&M version is good), The Unforgiven II and Low Man's Lyric. Might listen to those 4 now actually.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2024, 01:19:36 PM »

The highs are pretty equal for me, and Reload has Fuel, The Memory Remains (I do hate the outro on the studio version, but fuck me, the S&M version is good), The Unforgiven II and Low Man's Lyric. Might listen to those 4 now actually.

All great songs, but don't sleep on Where the Wild Things Are and Fixxxer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2024, 01:24:15 PM »
I don't necessarily sleep on any tracks on the album. I never hated it, and would take Load/Reload over the last two albums any day. The 4 I mentioned are just my faves.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2024, 09:22:32 PM »
Congrats to 72 Seasons on nabbing a Grammy tonight. While not nearly as amazing as their landmark masterpiece, ReLoad (/s), the first and last tracks on 72S are killer.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2024, 10:01:34 AM »
re: Stads and "thrash"

To me, it is clearly a subgenre. Not a technique. Metallica, with all apologies to Motorhead, who influenced Metallica, were really the band that defined that genre, that all bands seemed to stem from.  At least in how I listen to and evaluate music, when you're in that sort of position, there's an expectation. Which flows into what Tim said.

re: "expectation" vs. "acceptance." 

You're right Tim, it is really how you feel. I agree that I think there was effort put into Load. I think Metallica was very influenced by what they heard. But just like any band that is around for a long time, you go from being influenced, to becoming an influencer, to being influenced again. And at some point, most bands find their own cool middle ground, where they push a bit, sound like themselves, etc. And then, perhaps it's on the listener to decide if it still works.

For Metallica, I felt like once they hit Ride the LIghtening, Puppets, and And Justice For All, they were influencers. THEY were "METAL." "thrash," per se, but the epitome of metal. Then they...rode the commercial wave. And I just feel like Metallica have never truly found their way back to what made them distinct and "influencers." Other bands have, find a middle ground, etc. But Metallica...at least to my ears, have never quite "made it back."

Again, it's all taste and subjectiveness, but it's incredibly frustrating if you're a fan that doesn't just "accept" what a band does because the band does it.

But isn't that all you can ever do?  I mean, name a transcendent artist. I don't mean "your favorite band", because let's be honest, many of people's favorites just don't move the needle from an "influence" point of view.

But.. The Beatles.  If you got on board with "Beatlemania", which is a phenomenon like very very few have ever seen, you cannot be thrilled with the relative "nonsense" that Lennon in particular was pushing with his pot-fueled drivel of 1966 or his anti-war peace frank bullshit of 1969.  (I'm using those words to make a point, not pretend that my judgement is fact). 

I think any meaningful band with more than 10 albums is no different than Metallica here, and I don't quite get why - other than Genesis - they seem to take so much shit for growing as artists, as humans, as musicians.

Again, I think it depends on what you think is the impetus for the "influence" versus what ACTUALLY IS the impetus for the "influence" and we can't know that.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2024, 10:03:05 AM »

I think any meaningful band with more than 10 albums is no different than Metallica here, and I don't quite get why - other than Genesis - they seem to take so much shit for growing as artists, as humans, as musicians.

I thought Genesis got all kinds of shit, no?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2024, 10:06:54 AM »

I thought Genesis got all kinds of shit, no?

Yes, they're the one band that has taken MORE shit for supposedly selling out from "real prog" to "pop crap".  That's what I was trying to say. Metallica takes more shit for somehow "selling out" and "abandoning their fans" than any other band except Genesis, even though Metallica is closer now to their first three or four records than a TON of bands (Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, U2, Pink Floyd, Beatles, the Dead, etc.)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2024, 10:26:22 AM »
Appreciate all the excellent posts by Tim, Stads, Samsara. As another guy who was there from the beginning, yes initially I was always looking for the fastest, heaviest thing but it became apparent VERY QUICKLY that Metallica (Hetfield mainly) were the best SONGWRITERS in the genre and that's really what brought them to the top. I mean, a band of 20-yr-old thrashers writing "Fade to Black" and "The Call of Ktulu"? Game over. Checkmate.

So yes I still want to hear some aggression and speed from them, but most of the time the riffs, lyrics, vocals, and songwriting are enough. Lars was never talented enough (or precise enough) to keep pushing the speed angle anyway and they are in their 60s now so I cut them some slack.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2024, 10:38:16 AM »

I totally agree with this. The combination of the lukewarm reception (generally) to Load/Reload, followed by the hatred St. Anger received totally shook the band. They always had a tall order trying to follow The Black Album, but I don't think they ever expected to be in the position they were in 20 years ago.

Their live shows never suffered but I feel (I get the impression that James the most) they became too fearful of taking a risk again, so they just played it safe the last 20 years. I kinda get it, bit I wish they'd take a risk, I honestly do. I'd rather something as stylistically different as St. Anger, over another 72 Seasons.

Luke, buddy, you're my friend and I respect the shit out of what you say even when I disagree, but... I disagree VEHEMENTLY with this.

"Playing it safe" would be to rehash Master of Puppets. The one thing that Metallica has NOT done is "played it safe", even with the new past couple of records.

I know for me, who has every album except for Kill 'Em All, these last two are like an amalgamation of all the best parts.  To me I sort of view these as the crystallization of all that came before but in a new package. 

The took tremendous risks with TBA, and half their core audience shit on them for it (though they gained twice as many with new fans, I guess).  They took even more risks with the Loads, and half their audience shit on them for it.  They took still more risks with St. Anger, and the handful of fans that were left (I kid, I kid) shit on them for it.  Now that they've sort of moved in yet another direction - I call it the "Maiden direction", it seems like their fans are shitting on them for it. 

I'm so sorry for being blunt here, but it seems that many of you want them to "take a risk" by... remaking the album you liked best. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2024, 11:03:15 AM »
You need Kill 'Em All!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2024, 11:16:59 AM »

I agree with this line of thought as well, and would go slightly further to say S&M was their last release of that long run of greatness.  Which would also inclue Garage Inc release, which while being covers, was actually really good and quite popular at the time. S&M also had the new song No Leaf Clover which is a Metallica classic if you ask me.  Since then, yeah, it's been a tough adjustment to try and recaputre the greatness.  There's lots of good music since then, but the band just hasn't been consistent about making good music the last 25 years.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2024, 12:35:04 PM »

Luke, buddy, you're my friend and I respect the shit out of what you say even when I disagree, but... I disagree VEHEMENTLY with this.

"Playing it safe" would be to rehash Master of Puppets. The one thing that Metallica has NOT done is "played it safe", even with the new past couple of records.

I know for me, who has every album except for Kill 'Em All, these last two are like an amalgamation of all the best parts.  To me I sort of view these as the crystallization of all that came before but in a new package. 

The took tremendous risks with TBA, and half their core audience shit on them for it (though they gained twice as many with new fans, I guess).  They took even more risks with the Loads, and half their audience shit on them for it.  They took still more risks with St. Anger, and the handful of fans that were left (I kid, I kid) shit on them for it.  Now that they've sort of moved in yet another direction - I call it the "Maiden direction", it seems like their fans are shitting on them for it. 

I'm so sorry for being blunt here, but it seems that many of you want them to "take a risk" by... remaking the album you liked best.

Stadler, I think you misunderstood my post. I fully agree that the band took a risk with TBA, Load/Reload and St. Anger. Those are the sort of risks I want to see them take again. Throw in a bluesy/country number, make a record that sounds nothing like what came before, play what is in their hearts. Maybe this current music is exactly what is in their hearts, but it just doesn't feel like it to me personally. I suppose you could say (understatement) that Lulu was a risk they've taken in recent years, and that didn't pan out. I personally don't want them to remake the albums I like the best, I want something that's like none of these.

To be clear, I do think the last three albums were "playing it safe" though, and although I don't shit on them for it, I am disappointed. Actually, I'm not disappointed with DM, just the last two.

If Kirk's EP is anything to go by, I'd rather let him take more of a lead with songwriting (although I don't know how much of it he had help with). As I also said above, I want to see James put out a solo record, and in my head it'd be like Turn the Page the album. Maybe that's not what he'd want to release at all, but the risky side is putting something out there, knowing the whole Metallica fanbase will weigh in on it, and it may be too much pressure.

You need Kill 'Em All!!

Yep, no Metallica collection is complete without it. I know how highly you rate it Tim so I know you will advocate for it even more than I would!

I agree with this line of thought as well, and would go slightly further to say S&M was their last release of that long run of greatness.  Which would also inclue Garage Inc release, which while being covers, was actually really good and quite popular at the time. S&M also had the new song No Leaf Clover which is a Metallica classic if you ask me.  Since then, yeah, it's been a tough adjustment to try and recaputre the greatness.  There's lots of good music since then, but the band just hasn't been consistent about making good music the last 25 years.

Cram, I am 100% with you. It's a tough call, but in many ways I like their 90s output more than their 80s. Yes, I think Load/Reload are weaker than any of their 80s albums (and I say that as a fan of the albums), but TBA is basically flawless and the combo of Garage Inc and S&M are two of my all time favourite records (and home to my favourite ever cover songs and live performances, respectively). Also the sound and production of their 90s output is just top notch.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 12:40:31 PM by twosuitsluke »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2024, 12:36:27 PM »
You can’t have ‘em all without Kill ‘em All!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2024, 12:52:23 PM »
I'm tired of agreeing with Stadler's posts in this thread.  It's unnatural.   :biggrin:

And you do need Kill Em All.  I still have my copy, with my parent's phone number written in the white space on the cover...from when I lent it out to a friend in 1993. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2024, 01:01:48 PM »
Add me on to the list saying that KEM is a MUST.

Just pure fire. Not the most refined thing, but man, Mustaine and Hetfield writing, and pure youth and adrenaline? Yeah...  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2024, 01:06:54 PM »
I don't know, man.  Maybe it works better if you were in on it from the beginning, but to me, Kill 'Em All sounds like trash.  I don't like it one bit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2024, 01:09:53 PM »
I don't know, man.  Maybe it works better if you were in on it from the beginning, but to me, Kill 'Em All sounds like trash.  I don't like it one bit.

I assume 100% that is why Tim has it as his favourite, he was there from ground zero. I can't imagine what it must've been like to hear a record like Kill 'em All when there was very little like it at the time. It IS thrash. Plain and simple.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2024, 01:11:49 PM »
I was *NOT* there from the beginning (I started listening to Metallica with Puppets). KEM is my least favorite of the first five Metallica records, but it is absolutely one of the most influential records in the metal genre. Particularly the Bay Area thrash scene.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2024, 01:13:00 PM »
I was *NOT* there from the beginning (I started listening to Metallica with Puppets). KEM is my least favorite of the first five Metallica records, but it is absolutely one of the most influential records in the metal genre. Particularly the Bay Area thrash scene.
Oh, I know about its place in history, and that's fine.  But it's not essential to me NOW, because I don't like it one bit.

Kind of like the Rolling Stones.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2024, 01:46:40 PM »
Oh, I know about its place in history, and that's fine.  But it's not essential to me NOW, because I don't like it one bit.

Kind of like the Rolling Stones.

Gotcha. I agree with that then. I may listen to KEA...once every few years. Whereas RTL-AJFA, are regular rotation albums for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2024, 02:07:24 PM »

If Kirk's EP is anything to go by, I'd rather let him take more of a lead with songwriting (although I don't know how much of it he had help with). As I also said above, I want to see James put out a solo record, and in my head it'd be like Turn the Page the album. Maybe that's not what he'd want to release at all, but the risky side is putting something out there, knowing the whole Metallica fanbase will weigh in on it, and it may be too much pressure.

I don't know if we've talked about it before, but you and I are in total agreement on the James solo album, even down to the music in your head.  Also, I just got Kirk's EP and was blown away by it.  I LOVED it (and I'm not a Kirk fan, frankly).

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2024, 02:12:51 PM »
I just put on Kirk's EP for the first time...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2024, 02:13:53 PM »

So, I listened to those songs when I was putting together my Met Top 50. These were my BOTTOM 25:
86   Don't Tread On Me   TBA
87   Phantom Lord   KEA
88   The Four Horseman   KEA
89   Cure   L
90   Motorbreath   KEA
91   Jump in the Fire   KEA
92   My Friend of Misery   TBA
93   Eye of the Beholder   …AJFA
94   Some Kind of Monster   SA
95   Disposable Heroes   MOP
96   Metal Militia   KEA
97   Whiplash   KEA
98   The Unnamed Feeling   SA
99   Leper Messiah   MOP
100   My Apocalypse   DM
101   (Anesthesia) - Pulling Teeth   KEA
102   Sweet Amber   SA
103   St. Anger   SA
104   Shoot Me Again   SA
105   My World   SA
106   All Within My Hands   SA
107   Invisible Kid   SA
108   Frantic   SA
109   Dirty Window   SA
110   Purify   SA

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2024, 02:28:03 PM »
KEA didn't click with me until I got older and enjoyed some more of the heavier types of metal.  As a 90s kid who discovered Metallica through the black album to reload times, when I would listen to KEA I just didn't like it then.  It may have been the production or the pure thrashness of it.  But if you ask me today, I think it's necessary listening material.  The band still plays a few of those songs regularly as well. It's not like it's a forgotten first album like many bands.  But it does kind of stand alone in their catalog which makes me understand if some don't like it or others praise it. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2024, 08:54:32 PM »
7 KEA songs in the bottom 25? 

DISPOSABLE HEROES? 

:facepalm:

Disposable Heroes is such a riff-fest. 

KEA didn't click with me until I got older and enjoyed some more of the heavier types of metal.  As a 90s kid who discovered Metallica through the black album to reload times, when I would listen to KEA I just didn't like it then.  It may have been the production or the pure thrashness of it.  But if you ask me today, I think it's necessary listening material.  The band still plays a few of those songs regularly as well. It's not like it's a forgotten first album like many bands.  But it does kind of stand alone in their catalog which makes me understand if some don't like it or others praise it. 

The one thing that stands out to me now is how young James sounds on KEA.  His voice is really high compared to that ferocious bark that he developed in the later 80's.  But the album itself is full of Metallica classics. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2024, 01:10:19 AM »
7 KEA songs in the bottom 25? 

DISPOSABLE HEROES? 

:facepalm:

Disposable Heroes is such a riff-fest. 

Right?!

So, I listened to those songs when I was putting together my Met Top 50. These were my BOTTOM 25:
86   Don't Tread On Me   TBA
88   The Four Horseman   KEA
90   Motorbreath   KEA
92   My Friend of Misery   TBA
93   Eye of the Beholder   …AJFA
95   Disposable Heroes   MOP
97   Whiplash   KEA
100   My Apocalypse   DM

None of these songs should be anywhere near anyone's bottom 25 in my opinion!