Author Topic: Concerts for 2024  (Read 8380 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Concerts for 2024
« Reply #280 on: April 23, 2024, 11:01:47 AM »
Saw Judas Priest w Sabaton Friday night at the PUKE CENTER in Newark, NJ. Probably my most hated arena in the metropolitan area for many reasons, but since JP are BANNED from MSG due to the "incident" at the Garden in '84 (for which i was front and center involved :mehlin) this was the closest show. First up was Sabaton who were simply awful! The music is terrible and performance not much better. Complete waste of 50 minutes! :censored JP came on at 9 and performed a tight, rousing set. I knew they were only playing 3 new songs from their incredible new album but other than the opener "Panic Attack" the other 2 new ones fell kind of flat on stage. The setlist was excellent until the excruciatingly overplayed encore songs. Now, I get that I've seen JP live over 20 times since 1978 and that they have younger fans who haven't seen them, but I'm just so sick of seeing so many same songs, tour after tour! Rant over! I thought Rob did a really good job and even hit some high notes (with the help of the sound desk) but at 74, he can still belt it out. Was also happy not to see Priest fall victim to the ridiculous flames and confetti that so many bands use these days! :loser: :facepalm: All in all, the Priest delivered once again :metal

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #281 on: April 23, 2024, 12:03:35 PM »
Going to Opeth in October! My first time and  my son and I are totally hyped. And its GA! It should be a rousing good time :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: April 24, 2024, 06:14:22 AM »
Tossed an Aristocrats show on the list for end of July. Can't wait to see those dudes play again.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #283 on: April 24, 2024, 02:58:57 PM »
Judas Priest came on right around 9pm.  Really good sound.  Rob sounded incredible, especially for his age.  I do think his age showed in his stage presence though.  Often staring at the ground (or maybe he was reading a teleprompter?) and sometimes just meandering in the back of the stage.  I've never seen them before so maybe that's just his thing, but while he sounded great, visually sometimes I felt like he was a bit "out there". I'm no JP purist so I know it's not the original guitarists, but I thought they both were good and it really didn't come to mind for me at all that it was no KK or Tipton.  I do wish the setlist featured more from the new album.  3 songs seems a bit small considering the positive reaction to the album, but those 3 songs were awesome live.  Sadly, like Sabaton experienced, the crowd just didn't seem to react much at all to JP.  During all the sing a long parts where ROb would hold the mic out to the crowd, it was just a dud.  I couldn't hear the crowd at all.  Overall I enjoyed the show, but sadly didn't feel like JP won me over.  I'd see them again, but under the right circumstances and not likely something to go out of my way to see. 
It's his thing. He's always hunkered down to hit the high notes (like others will point upward). Back in the day he'd get down to his knees belting out Painkiller live. He's also never been particularly mobile. I saw him on a couple of tours using a cane at times, in fact. Bad hip, I think. As for the band seeming off, I haven't seen this lineup so I wouldn't know. I can tell you that the interaction between Tipton and Downing provided a lot of the energy, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: April 24, 2024, 04:05:13 PM »
It's his thing. He's always hunkered down to hit the high notes (like others will point upward). Back in the day he'd get down to his knees belting out Painkiller live. He's also never been particularly mobile. I saw him on a couple of tours using a cane at times, in fact. Bad hip, I think. As for the band seeming off, I haven't seen this lineup so I wouldn't know. I can tell you that the interaction between Tipton and Downing provided a lot of the energy, though.

Hitting the high notes is one thing, I thought that was visually and audibly easy to spot, but does he also read off a teleprompter?  Certainly looked like he was (I couldn't see the teleprompter, but the way he stared down at the three different amps on the stage made it seem that way.  I honestly don't mind all that stuff, the guys old and still sounded good.  He can meander in the back or use a lyric sheet, but it did kind of kill the mood a bit for me, although, the mood was cold as ice for the most part anyway that night.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #285 on: April 24, 2024, 04:10:12 PM »
Tossed an Aristocrats show on the list for end of July. Can't wait to see those dudes play again.

I am tempted to go see them in Raleigh. That would be show #4 of theirs for me. I am going to see Zao the night before though, and two late nights in a row is a lot for me at this point lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #286 on: April 24, 2024, 06:50:13 PM »
Hitting the high notes is one thing, I thought that was visually and audibly easy to spot, but does he also read off a teleprompter? 

Rob's been reading off the teleprompter for 20 years! And I agree with you. It DEFINITELY is noticeable and really takes any stage "persona" away! That being said, Rob was NEVER a "Dickinson type" to run around on stage. Even in his earlier years, Rob would just meander around the stage. He's still though, the "Metal God" to me! :metal :hefdaddy

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #287 on: April 25, 2024, 05:06:08 AM »
Babymetal tonight!! :caffeine:

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: April 25, 2024, 06:46:16 AM »
I am tempted to go see them in Raleigh. That would be show #4 of theirs for me. I am going to see Zao the night before though, and two late nights in a row is a lot for me at this point lol

:lol so I'm seeing them at the Charlotte show, and the night before I'm seeing Brit Floyd. I had the same thought about seeing two shows in a row.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #289 on: April 25, 2024, 08:47:57 AM »
Hitting the high notes is one thing, I thought that was visually and audibly easy to spot, but does he also read off a teleprompter?  Certainly looked like he was (I couldn't see the teleprompter, but the way he stared down at the three different amps on the stage made it seem that way.  I honestly don't mind all that stuff, the guys old and still sounded good.  He can meander in the back or use a lyric sheet, but it did kind of kill the mood a bit for me, although, the mood was cold as ice for the most part anyway that night.
A few minutes of google-fu does suggest he uses a teleprompter. Apparently Bruce ragged on him ten years ago for needing one to sing "breaking the law" ten times in a row.  :lol  I haven't seen them since 2011, and to be honest I'm so used to seeing him face down when he sings I'm not sure I'd even notice. And in truth they've never been a particularly high-energy band. Kenny Downing was probably the most energetic one, and like I said there was always some interplay with him and Tipton, but aside from those two there's never been a whole lot going on. That makes the mood pretty variable, and ice cold is always an option.

There's a reason I haven't seen them in 13 years.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #290 on: April 25, 2024, 09:47:38 AM »
I've got Queensryche and Armored Saints on Saturday night.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: April 25, 2024, 09:55:32 AM »
Second hand tickets for the Rock the Rock radio event tonight are down to 10 bucks  :lol I'm likely going to attend at that price.

Staind, Seether, The Struts, and Dayseeker (Doubt I get there in time for Aryon Jones).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #292 on: April 25, 2024, 10:37:39 PM »
Holy fuck Babymetal was insane. What a show.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #293 on: April 26, 2024, 08:00:50 AM »
A few thoughts on Babymetal with Nekrogoblikon and Deathklok...

Nekrogoblikon opened, they were fun and all, silly as fuck, and got the crowd rolling. Probably won't check them out further though, no really appeal in their music tbh.

Babymetal had the middle slot..the played for a bit over an hour, about a 10 song set. The Kami Band was tight as hell, which is the standard for them these days, just flawless. Moa and Momo were insanely energetic and relentlessly charismatic, they owned the crowd from beginning to end. Su however...goddamn can that girl sing. Range, control, inflections, and everything, she was perfection, and to pull that off with the intense dancing between vocal moments, so impressive. The crowd though, they're what really made the show. Sellout crowd of every walk of life, from kids to old farts like me, everything. Everyone was 100% invested into the show, and gave it their all. The crowd push at times was insane, I was seriously worried for a few young girls next to me who combined couldn't have weighed a buck, but they were fucking troopers and rolled with every punch the pit threw at them. So much fucking fun, nothing but respect for this band and how expertly they can work a crowd.

Deathklok was fun, never really dug their style, I got to hear their birthday song which was cool. I probably hung for about five songs then beat the rush out of the parking garage.

No solid video of Babymetal, it was way too hard to hold a phone properly in that insanity lol, did catch a bit of my favorite song though...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/k88VBxu-HF4

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: April 26, 2024, 09:31:17 AM »
Sounds similar to the time I saw Babymetal.  Very diverse crowd, but the crowd was also WILD.  One of the biggest and craziest mosh pits I've ever been in.  Actually got my pinky bent backwards from a crowd surfer.  I also was unable to get good video that night from the wild mosh pit  :lol

Sucks they were the middle slot though, I would have thought they'd headline.

Second hand tickets for the Rock the Rock radio event tonight are down to 10 bucks  :lol I'm likely going to attend at that price.

Staind, Seether, The Struts, and Dayseeker (Doubt I get there in time for Aryon Jones).

Got my ticket ofr $5 but came out to $12 after fees  :lol not bad for a full night of headliner bands.  I'll write more likely on Monday after I edit my videos, but I came away impressed with The Struts.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #295 on: April 26, 2024, 09:58:24 AM »
The two bands alternated the slot throughout the tour, I was OK with it since I could escape the rush out.

I think the only shows that had a crazier pit were Hanabie and Spiritbox, but they both played much smaller venues

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #296 on: April 26, 2024, 11:39:38 PM »
Well, the ticket prices for Starset at the House of Blues in Anaheim isn't getting any lower on the secondary sites.  Might as well get the ticket at face value for $46.50.  Seems like a fine enough price.  Their sets have been looking fine and going to around two hours, so I'm hoping for some solid performances and solid visuals that matches their electronic, spacey vibes.  Probably will take a different approach in parking this time around.  Will instead take a bus to the venue and then take an Uber/Lyft back home since I live so dang close to the venue.  Will cost way less than the $25 I may pay for parking.

Starset - House of Blues - Anaheim, CA.  April 26th 2024.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #297 on: Today at 12:10:04 AM »
All right, I'm back from the Starset show.  Man, oh man.  This is a show of the year contender for me and I don't really see anything that I may anticipate for the rest of the year that can top this.  First off, the first show I ever saw ever since I moved to the OC in 2017 was Halestorm with Starset opening at the Anaheim House of Blues in a spot near the soundboard at the back of the stage.  They were ok as a main supporter, although I griped about certain sound issues from them, but people liked them and their space-themed aesthetics.  So, this is a great feat for Starset that 7 years later, they are headlining this very same building, with no openers or co-headlining acts, and this place was packed.  I had to wait through 3 or so hours in line.  Had to wait through all of the VIP, those that bought fastlane passes, in order for me to be on the rail section behind the soundboard to get the most optimized view I can if I wasn't going to be close to the stage.

I was expecting some nice spacey visuals that goes with their electronic/pseudo djent/active rock radio friendly/cinematic rock sounds with some vocal growls thrown sparsely, but holy fudge, the visuals were way beyond what I expected.  So, one of the things that they are doing on this particular tour was showing a custom movie in-between songs and playing the songs in their catalog that ties the movie together. 

They played 18 songs and the experience lasted two hours.  The band sounds great.  You have two people on strings, a keyboardist, a guitarist, drums, and bass (all dressed in like body armor with space aesthetics) and you have Dustin Bates (the vocalist and composer behind the themes of the band).  Sure, his vocals at times sounds electronic and had certain effects where his pitch of the voice will sound different, but for a band like this, this makes sense, but the stuff that he sang without those effects, he sounded fine, and he was personable and was very thrilled to sell out the House of Blues and loved the support the crowd in the LA/OC area brought and it was a good crowd.  Helps that there were no openers or supporting acts that could overshadow them and people were engaged in the songs and the plot of the movie during the entire show.

One thing I did not expect to see at a concert was that in the front of the stage, they had these fans where if they were working, they were able to project some computerized text and visuals as shown below.  Sad part was that about an hour into the show, one of the fans in the top right corner of the area stopped working and everyone in the soundboard area was trying to get in touch to see what the update was to get that fan fixed and couldn't get it done.  It didn't really detract from the show at all and everyone had to roll with it although it cut off some visuals or words, but nothing too drastic.  After 13 songs in, and 90 minutes of the show and movie being done, there was a 6 minute intermission and their stage crew removed those fans and the band came up in more casual black uniforms if it makes sense and finished the show with some of their big hitters and send the crowd singing happy by playing Take Me Home, Country Roads on tape to end the show.

All in all, I had good expectations that this was going to be a good show.  I didn't expect this to be my favorite show of the year so far.  I had a blast and I can see why the 3rd party ticket reselling sites could not list tickets to go under $50.00.  $46.00 was so worth it and this place was packed. 

I don't know what next month's show will be.  I might see this band called the Exies at the Viper Room in LA in May.  They had some nice 00s post-grunge songs that I liked, but the band broke up and Scott Stevens (the vocalist) ended up writing a lot of songs for radio rock bands I've recognized, but they are doing a one-off reunion show and tickets aren't expensive, so I may consider going to this one.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:34:46 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #298 on: Today at 10:23:31 AM »
Man, I wish I could've attended one of the Starset shows. It was just not in my cards this time, but I will see them someday.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD