Author Topic: Songs for Next Tour / What Can James Sing?  (Read 9917 times)

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
Songs for Next Tour / What Can James Sing?
« on: January 29, 2024, 07:10:29 PM »
This is NOT a slight on James LaBrie - one of my favorite singers. But we know what his voice is like now.  I watched a few clips from last years' shows and it seems like he really can't get above an Ab or A.   Hopefully they choose songs he can still sing well and add a lot of instrumentals.  Here are a few that I noticed don't really go above an A.

Scarred - one line goes to B, but he has song that lower
Peruvian Skies - Brief B
Constant Motion
Root Of All Evil
The Enemy Inside - last note is C#
Blind Faith - A
I Walk Beside You - B
As I Am - Brief B
Forsaken - A
6:00 Brief B

I didn't analyze their entire catalog. I'm sure there are a bunch more that don't go above A except for a brief moment.  I did, of course, only include some of my favorite D songs here.

Any other ideas?   Also, I don't feel like they HAVE to play Pull Me Under or even Metropolis.  If it won't sound good, don't play it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Online HOF

Re: Songs for Next Tour / What Can James Sing?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 07:22:04 PM »
I bet he could still do Speak to Me justice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 07:36:44 PM »
I will not be happy if they waste a song slot at my concert with Speak To Me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 08:05:55 PM »

OK, well I bet he could also still pull off Space Dye Vest!

Offline NoFred

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 08:48:35 PM »
Eh, they should figure out what works for them. No instrumentals live (enough of these are embedded in most songs anyway)

I want my DT and I want it raw. Down tune as needed, otherwise let’s go.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 05:40:31 AM »
Eh, they should figure out what works for them. No instrumentals live (enough of these are embedded in most songs anyway)

I think it's fair to include a couple instrumentals to give JL some extra breathing room. That's what Rush did.

But I agree that DT live should be raw - no backing tapes, etc. other than the intros that they've always used. Besides tuning down for some songs, also working out great alternate vocal melodies will go a long way to help JL as well. I think I posted about it here already, but I can't help but think of how Rush did Circumstances in 2007. That was a song I never expected to hear live being that the vocals were in the stratosphere, but by down tuning and altering the vocal melodies, they pulled it off! I'm sure DT can do the same with some of the more vocally challenging songs that they want to include in the set.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 05:53:31 AM »

I think it's fair to include a couple instrumentals to give JL some extra breathing room. That's what Rush did.

But I agree that DT live should be raw - no backing tapes, etc. other than the intros that they've always used. Besides tuning down for some songs, also working out great alternate vocal melodies will go a long way to help JL as well. I think I posted about it here already, but I can't help but think of how Rush did Circumstances in 2007. That was a song I never expected to hear live being that the vocals were in the stratosphere, but by down tuning and altering the vocal melodies, they pulled it off! I'm sure DT can do the same with some of the more vocally challenging songs that they want to include in the set.

THIS!

Just do what Scotty is saying, and they can play damn near anything.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 06:44:17 AM »
thing is, do these things BEFORE going on tour and finding out JLB can't do it, and then change it.

If MP gets to do setlists again, they should have all the songs prepared in a way that JLB can confidently go on stage and perform.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 07:01:38 AM »
You are a silly person.  That's a fantastic song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 08:24:23 AM »

I wouldn't go that far.  But I also wouldn't hate seeing it.  Mostly because I've seen DT enough that I'd prefer some deep cuts even if they aren't songs I'd normally root for. 

With MP back, I'd expect them to do more older stuff, but honestly, I don't want it.  I dont want anything off I&W or Metropolis or even Awake.  All three of those albums got a lot of play in recent years.  Sure with MM, but the fans like myself who saw every tour have seen these songs A LOT.

So I'd ask for me... FII songs, Six Degrees Disc 1 songs, Octavarium title track, and honestly... I want the MM songs that didn't get played. Not sure the likelyhood of that, I'd say low, but yeah, I still would like to see those songs.  (S2N!!)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 08:37:34 AM »

I wouldn't go that far.  But I also wouldn't hate seeing it.  Mostly because I've seen DT enough that I'd prefer some deep cuts even if they aren't songs I'd normally root for. 

With MP back, I'd expect them to do more older stuff, but honestly, I don't want it.  I dont want anything off I&W or Metropolis or even Awake.  All three of those albums got a lot of play in recent years.  Sure with MM, but the fans like myself who saw every tour have seen these songs A LOT.

So I'd ask for me... FII songs, Six Degrees Disc 1 songs, Octavarium title track, and honestly... I want the MM songs that didn't get played. Not sure the likelyhood of that, I'd say low, but yeah, I still would like to see those songs.  (S2N!!)

I would love to see them do S2N with Portnoy. If he does backing vocals, I could see this song being playable. I could imagine the back and forth between JLB and MP in the 2nd verse.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 09:06:12 AM »

Same.  There's a good reason why it couldn't beat out a couple of DT's worst album tracks to make the cut.

Hard to say with MP back, but given the poor reaction Don't Look Past Me got on the I&W&B tour, I'm not sure songs like this will ever see the light of day again.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 09:06:30 AM »
I hope they tune down like they did on the I&W&B Tour. I love that bootleg! Listening to those songs a half step lower along with James modifying some melodies was surprisingly awesome. I&W is not my favorite album by far but that show just might be a top 3 DT show in terms of enjoyment. After almost 35 years with the band, often doing justice to the melodies, I'm more than comfortable hearing the songs sung a little different than I'm used to.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 09:13:11 AM »

Same here, I have been so lucky to see DT so many times, that I probably wouldn't mind to hear You Not Me just for the heck of it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 11:46:15 AM »

Same.  There's a good reason why it couldn't beat out a couple of DT's worst album tracks to make the cut.

Hard to say with MP back, but given the poor reaction Don't Look Past Me got on the I&W&B tour, I'm not sure songs like this will ever see the light of day again.

Yeah, I was really bummed it got dropped before my show.  DLPM is another example of a song I'm not really into but would love to see it still. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2024, 01:10:40 PM »

I would love to see them do S2N with Portnoy. If he does backing vocals, I could see this song being playable. I could imagine the back and forth between JLB and MP in the 2nd verse.
Absolutely! Prior to MP rejoining, I had resigned myself to the idea that it would never appear live because of the rapid fire vocals, but now with MP back, I can easily see JL and him trading the vocals back and forth.

Actually I'd say that those songs now have a better chance of being played again than before. MP included the rarities because he knew the diehards would love them and he wasn't worried if the audience reaction wasn't crazy like for other more popular songs. That's the reason why we got a healthy dose of the WDaDU tracks, FII outtakes, other "deep cuts", improv jams and some covers that rarely (if ever) appeared while he was gone. That said, he also knows to balance the set out with a variety of other stuff to engage the whole audience.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2024, 01:27:50 PM »

They are more than welcome to do it at mine!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2024, 01:29:07 PM »

Yeah, I was really bummed it got dropped before my show.  DLPM is another example of a song I'm not really into but would love to see it still.

For myself, I am damn happy they kept it in at the Albuquerque show. Getting to hear that song, at a local venue has to be one of the best DT live moments for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2024, 02:23:17 PM »

They are more than welcome to do it at mine!  :metal
+1

Offline Rigel

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2024, 02:38:31 PM »
I would love it if next tour they pulled out "To Live Forever".

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2024, 02:41:01 PM »
I think Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu would be a perfect way to open - imagine that as the first thing you hear with MP back behind the kit. I feel like that one should also be relatively comfortable for James.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2024, 02:54:08 PM »

At least I still got that one on the I&W&B tour

• No Day But Today
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2024, 05:09:52 PM »

I've never been a fan of tuning down any more than a half step.  I don't have perfect pitch, but close enough so that changing a key makes it sound like a completely different song to me.

I'm ok with a band does it with their own songs (though I prefer they don't) but I absolutely hate it when a cover band does it.  There are a zillion songs to choose. Choose one you can sing.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2024, 10:40:31 PM »
Prophets of War seems eminently singable, since the audience will do half the work. 

Disappear would be a welcome addition that would be an easy song for James.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2024, 06:25:09 AM »
Prophets of War seems eminently singable, since the audience will do half the work. 

James is sneaky good on Prophets Of War.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2024, 06:38:50 AM »
While admittedly I haaate the fact that the title of this thread includes "What can James sing?", I understand why it is and has to be this way.

I agree with the aforementioned Peruvian Skies, Forsaken, the songs from Octavarium, and Space Dye Vest, and I'll add a few more:

Breaking All Illusions (Sorry not sorry, they need to keep this one around)
Wait for Sleep
At Wits End
Out of Reach
Wither
A Rite of Passage
Moment of Betrayal
Through Her Eyes
Outcry

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2024, 06:49:23 AM »

While I'm generally always satisfied with James at the shows I've seen, or satisfied enough, if you ask me point black his best recent performance this one immediately springs into mind.

At the 2017 show in Milan he completely nailed it, he hit all the notes and was in pitch. I'm sure he can still do it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2024, 07:11:05 AM »

While I'm generally always satisfied with James at the shows I've seen, or satisfied enough, if you ask me point black his best recent performance this one immediately springs into mind.

At the 2017 show in Milan he completely nailed it, he hit all the notes and was in pitch. I'm sure he can still do it.

Same, at the 2017 show in Boston!

And for the Portnoy-loving contingent, why not do A Change of Seasons again. He also nailed that one at the very same show, soaring high notes and all.

I think this shows that he can handle songs that sit generally lower/in middle voice but still have a few soaring, higher notes once in a while (instead of songs that force him to sit up there in the stratosphere for a long time). As a lyric tenor voice this is his wheelhouse - beauty, sensitivity, creativity in his overall delivery with a few moments of soaring heights.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2024, 10:36:36 AM »
Always welcome.

I'm afraid you're right lol

Disappear would be a welcome addition that would be an easy song for James.
Indeed.  Not sure if they would bring it back though.  That would mess with their original plan for their song, to only perform it once (which, admittedly, they already broke when they performed it a second time to be filmed at Budokan).

Wait for Sleep
At Wits End
Out of Reach
Wither
A Rite of Passage
Moment of Betrayal
Through Her Eyes
Outcry
I'm sure that Breaking All Illusions will, in fact, be kept around.

I would love to see Out of Reach make an appearance.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Animal

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2024, 02:50:10 PM »

Same, at the 2017 show in Boston!

And for the Portnoy-loving contingent, why not do A Change of Seasons again. He also nailed that one at the very same show, soaring high notes and all.

I think this shows that he can handle songs that sit generally lower/in middle voice but still have a few soaring, higher notes once in a while (instead of songs that force him to sit up there in the stratosphere for a long time). As a lyric tenor voice this is his wheelhouse - beauty, sensitivity, creativity in his overall delivery with a few moments of soaring heights.

I'll keep repeating until I get hoarse: A Change of Seasons has always done James' voice much better service than the entirety of Awake and IaW (as impressive as these are). Too bad he could never quite replicate that crystal clear sound he'd still  had in 1995.

Offline Animal

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2024, 03:11:50 PM »

I've never been a fan of tuning down any more than a half step.  I don't have perfect pitch, but close enough so that changing a key makes it sound like a completely different song to me.

I'm ok with a band does it with their own songs (though I prefer they don't) but I absolutely hate it when a cover band does it.  There are a zillion songs to choose. Choose one you can sing.

Unless it¨s a tribute band where mimicking original songs as closely as possible is rightfully expected, I believe changing a key is a legitimate choice. Making a song sound a little (or a lot) different is the whole point of playing covers, isnt it?

Anyway, more to the point of the thread, I don't think tunning down even 2 or three half steps is gonna save James these days when singing stuff like IaW or Awake. Some of the songs are just in stratosphere all the time, many others are not but often lie in that uncomfortable spot where the chest voice transitions into the head voice. This transition, IMO, is giving James more troubles than high notes per se. Readjusting his voice and working out new vocal melodies seems to be the only option (which will make the songs sound even more different than when they change a key).

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2024, 03:42:15 PM »
Some of the songs are just in stratosphere all the time, many others are not but often lie in that uncomfortable spot where the chest voice transitions into the head voice. This transition, IMO, is giving James more troubles than high notes per se.

I agree with this! 💯

Without the passaggio issues, which commonly become a bug in midlife, worked out, he will never again fully have the facility and access to his entire range at will.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2024, 09:55:01 PM »

2017 was 7 years ago. He doesn't sound like that anymore. They have to be pretty selective now.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2024, 09:58:12 PM »

Unless it¨s a tribute band where mimicking original songs as closely as possible is rightfully expected, I believe changing a key is a legitimate choice. Making a song sound a little (or a lot) different is the whole point of playing covers, isnt it?

Anyway, more to the point of the thread, I don't think tunning down even 2 or three half steps is gonna save James these days when singing stuff like IaW or Awake. Some of the songs are just in stratosphere all the time, many others are not but often lie in that uncomfortable spot where the chest voice transitions into the head voice. This transition, IMO, is giving James more troubles than high notes per se. Readjusting his voice and working out new vocal melodies seems to be the only option (which will make the songs sound even more different than when they change a key).

Not to get too off track, but no - the point of a regular gigging cover band is to entertain crowds and make money.  You don't do that by doing your own arrangements or changing keys to point of making a song unrecognizable.

I agree with you that new melodies is the best route for James - aside from not playing songs he clearly can't sing anymore - like, say "Take The Time."

Offline Animal

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2024, 03:14:45 AM »

Not to get too off track, but no - the point of a regular gigging cover band is to entertain crowds and make money.  You don't do that by doing your own arrangements or changing keys to point of making a song unrecognizable.

I agree with you that new melodies is the best route for James - aside from not playing songs he clearly can't sing anymore - like, say "Take The Time."

I guess this is about the language differences - where I live, we distinguish between cover bands (as bands that just play other people's songs, without focusing on one artist exclusively) and tribute band (so called "revivals"), which is obviously what you mean by "a regular gigging cover band". For the latter, you are right, people do expect these bands to sound as close to the original as possible. But the opposite tends to be expected from the former.