Author Topic: The Circle of Wonders - New Concept Album Released!  (Read 1746 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
The Circle of Wonders - New Concept Album Released!
« on: January 02, 2024, 11:17:16 PM »
Hi everyone! I posted about this over in the "Musicians" thread, but figured I'd post here as well for those of you who aren't musicians and who might not ever go into those threads.

My latest concept album released on Christmas and I thought I’d share in case anyone was interested in giving it a listen. I wrote, produced, arranged, played, and mixed everything myself, so I appreciate any interaction, even if it’s just a follow or playlist add. Also, I’m planning on posting on the project’s Instagram page more frequently so a follow on there would be appreciated - @thecircleofwonders.

The story for this album is about a man investigating a serial killer (dubbed “The Architect” by the media) who has returned to terrorize a town after a 5 year hiatus from killing. Our protagonist is a huge, ogre looking man (one of those books that everyone judges by its cover) who wouldn’t hurt a fly but is constantly villainized by society due to his appearance. His only friend in the world, a hobo named Itchy Foot, is murdered in the park he sleeps in. This, along with an incompetent police investigation, motivates our main character, The Sparrow (a nickname given to him by his murdered friend, inspired by the way he would feed the sparrows in the park daily) to take it upon himself to get to the bottom of this serial killer mystery. Turns out these two title characters are more closely connected than The Sparrow could have ever imagined.

I started writing a novelized version of the story, but honestly I don’t know if that’ll ever get finished since my priority is making music, and I also have other manuscripts in the works. Started too many projects during Covid so I’m having to step back and make a priority list haha.

I posted this in the r/progmetal subreddit and everyone who has listened over there has been really excited and complimentary about it, so that feels really good.

The Dream Theater fan community is really a home to me, so I really hope you all enjoy!

(FFO - Dream Theater, Haken, Coheed & Cambria, Animals as Leaders, Periphery, Alter Bridge, The Dear Hunter, Thank You Scientist, Twelve Foot Ninja, and more...)

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/3n2qQY59OdPK4O40gBYfn9?si=rQIIMYJTSvq9wJ6_SA1iHw

Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/us/album/iii-the-sparrow-the-architect/1722326193

Bandcamp: https://thecircleofwonders.bandcamp.com/album/iii-the-sparrow-the-architect
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 01:14:52 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: New Concept Album Released!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 06:49:32 AM »
Just hit play on track one, always looking for new music.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 06:51:18 AM »
Cody, this was amazing. Seriously. Congratulations. Phenomenal piece of work. Just sat through the entire thing.

I listened on Spotify, and as the it went on, probably around Framed, I really wished that I had the lyrics to follow the plot, and then I checked on Bandcamp and they were there.
I generally don't check out a ton of what a lot of you DTF musicians post, but I thought I'd check this out, and I'm glad I did.

After one listen where I didn't keep notes, off the top of my head...
The production is really good. Love the fact that I can hear the bass.
The vocals are excellent. Nice job. Way better than I was expecting. Really strong throughout.
Memory Of Mother is a phenomenal track. "My memory of mother is slowing my fall
But I can't remember it all"
.......what a great line!
Love the guitar solo outro on Potter's Field.
I think I lost exactly what was happening in the second half and who each of the characters are. I think Mama Sparrow in I Call Shotgun is a clue that they could be the same person. But the Detective (in the closet) got me thinking that HE was The Architect. He mentions something about the circus, and then in the Bandcamp lyrics for the last song, it seems like a peek into the next chapter.

It's the first album on my 2024 list.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 07:37:04 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 09:33:07 AM »
 :omg: :hefdaddy

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 09:36:38 AM »
I will try to listen to this later today.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 09:38:10 AM »
Marked for headphones tonight.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 09:47:34 AM »
Framed and Apartment C3 were definite highlights for me!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 10:42:11 AM »
Any plans to put this on Tidal as well?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 11:08:47 AM »
Well shit... guess I know what I'm loading up next.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• EB
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 12:33:21 PM »
Wow, thank you so much everyone. I’m really happy that those who have listened have enjoyed it so much. It’s so difficult to get anyone to listen due to their skepticism, which is TOTALLY understandable. So I’m overwhelmed by the amount of people who have listened to it in its 82 minute entirety.

Yes, it’s actually been delivered to Tidal already, but I don’t know what their timeline is for how quickly music becomes available after delivery on there.  ;D
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 12:40:29 PM »
Wow, thank you so much everyone. I’m really happy that those who have listened have enjoyed it so much. It’s so difficult to get anyone to listen due to their skepticism, which is TOTALLY understandable. So I’m overwhelmed by the amount of people who have listened to it in its 82 minute entirety.

You got me on my day off, my wife had just gone to work, and so I turned my computer on over a cup of coffee. I was intrigued by the plot, as I'm glad you included it in your OP. I wasn't planning on taking the whole thing in, but by the time I was done with Memory Of Mother, I knew I was stuck listening to the whole thing.!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 01:30:08 PM »
I'll be honest, I clicked the link last night and then saw it was a 2hr album, and decided 'pass' - I've already buried myself in 2023 releases, and wanted to spend a bit of time with what I had purchased/saved.  Then I saw the good press from TAC and Tricia, so I decided I should tap this.  Glad I did.  I wasn't quite feeling the first half, but the second half was bitchin.

Can't wait to see how the second spin turns out.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2024, 02:29:48 PM »
Oh wow, this was really good!  Not sure what I was expecting, but it was fantastic!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2024, 02:38:05 PM »
I'm always gonna go into this sort of thing with an open mind. I'll give this a spin tomorrow and come back to you. I'll be looking for the parts that appeal to Coheed fans :metal

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2024, 02:42:36 PM »
I'm always gonna go into this sort of thing with an open mind. I'll give this a spin tomorrow and come back to you. I'll be looking for the parts that appeal to Coheed fans :metal

Fortunately, beyond being a concept album, there weren't many!   :lol :lol

jk... it's not like I would really know.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2024, 02:48:30 PM »
I chose a song at random, listened to Memory of Mother. Great voice, nice dynamics between the acoustic and rocking parts. Sounds great!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2024, 02:58:33 PM »

Fortunately, beyond being a concept album, there weren't many!   :lol :lol

jk... it's not like I would really know.

I'll assume the bits you liked least were the Coheed bits :neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2024, 03:55:31 PM »
Listening through it now, it's really really nice man, you have a great distinctive voice.  I do like the heavier parts more, but that's just me.  Your FFO list is pretty bang on but I hear a lot of Pain of Salvation too, even some Voyager?  Some of the softer more modern sounding bits sound like they could be modern day hits too.  Definitely gets more going in the second half so very well constructed.

This is all you, every instrument?  This must have taken some time to produce.  You did all this at home, have a studio?  I envy those that have the patience and creativity to produce pieces of art like this, kudos man.  :metal

Edit:  Fucking class solo on the closer.  Actually the whole song itself is epic!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 04:02:59 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2024, 05:27:22 PM »
This is really impressive dude, and I'll certainly come back to it. I can definitely hear Fair to Midland in some of the vocals :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2024, 05:49:32 PM »

Edit:  Fucking class solo on the closer.

Definitely!

• EB
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2024, 08:59:18 PM »
Your FFO list is pretty bang on but I hear a lot of Pain of Salvation too, even some Voyager?

Interestingly, I haven’t really listened to much POS and I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Voyager, but I’ll certainly give both a thorough listen!

This is all you, every instrument?  This must have taken some time to produce.  You did all this at home, have a studio?  I envy those that have the patience and creativity to produce pieces of art like this, kudos man.  :metal

Edit:  Fucking class solo on the closer.  Actually the whole song itself is epic!!

Yeah man, I played/programmed every instrument with the exception of the couple of saxophone parts in two of the interludes, which were done by Jason Keene on a Lekholm DM48X, which is a digital harmonica. He fuckin rips. I’m extremely fortunate to have been able to convert our two car garage into a studio. It’s far from a top of the line professional recording studio, but it absolutely works for my needs.

Thank you and everyone in this thread for listening. As I’ve said, the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and I can’t even believe anyone listened, let alone liked it as much as they’ve said in comments.  Thank you so much.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2024, 09:17:00 PM »

Yes, it’s actually been delivered to Tidal already, but I don’t know what their timeline is for how quickly music becomes available after delivery on there.  ;D
Oh cool. When I checked yesterday it didn't show up, but it's there now! I'll be spinning this tonight.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2024, 09:17:49 PM »
Oh and I just noticed you have 2 other albums on Tidal as well. I'll check those out later too.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2024, 02:24:35 AM »
Your FFO list is pretty bang on but I hear a lot of Pain of Salvation too, even some Voyager?

Interestingly, I haven’t really listened to much POS and I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Voyager, but I’ll certainly give both a thorough listen!

Yeah man, I played/programmed every instrument with the exception of the couple of saxophone parts in two of the interludes, which were done by Jason Keene on a Lekholm DM48X, which is a digital harmonica. He fuckin rips. I’m extremely fortunate to have been able to convert our two car garage into a studio. It’s far from a top of the line professional recording studio, but it absolutely works for my needs.

Thank you and everyone in this thread for listening. As I’ve said, the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and I can’t even believe anyone listened, let alone liked it as much as they’ve said in comments.  Thank you so much.

Nice man, the studio certainly does the job listening to it.

On the next album, if you need someone to accompany you with some Judss Priest trade off solos on a track, drop me a line.  ;D

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2024, 06:55:35 AM »

On the next album, if you need someone to accompany you with some Judss Priest trade off solos on a track, drop me a line.  ;D

I was going to make the same offer! (though, I'm more of a discount-JP clone  :biggrin:)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2024, 07:29:23 AM »

:metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2024, 10:46:53 AM »

I was going to make the same offer! (though, I'm more of a discount-JP clone  :biggrin:)
How discounted are we talking here?  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2024, 01:48:32 PM »

Alright, lets go an Iron Maiden style trade off then!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2024, 02:02:04 PM »
I listened to this again in its entirety this morning at work. I was at my workstation so I got a good listen in. Really impressive work.
Still trying to nail down the plot twists in the second half..

Offline nick_z

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2024, 02:20:41 PM »
This sounds super-intriguing, and I'll queue it up. A few busy days ahead, so I won't really have the time to listen, but I'm excited to dig in when I can!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2024, 02:24:53 PM »
Currently circling back to the first album in the series.

• EB
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2024, 02:52:44 PM »

The first album in the series is actually completely instrumental fyi, as I wasn't confident in my vocal mixing abilities at that time.  So I made it more of a solo guitar album, like Steve Vai or Satriani, except with much less shred. That album is still fun though - I thought it would be cool to include some melodies/riffs from that album into subsequent albums as a fun nod/easter egg, so I did that once or twice with "II". I'm considering remixing "II" since I feel like my mixing capabilities have come a long way since I did that album - I remixed "I" a couple of years ago, and I've come a long way since even then!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2024, 04:14:41 PM »

The first album in the series is actually completely instrumental fyi, as I wasn't confident in my vocal mixing abilities at that time.  So I made it more of a solo guitar album, like Steve Vai or Satriani, except with much less shred. That album is still fun though - I thought it would be cool to include some melodies/riffs from that album into subsequent albums as a fun nod/easter egg, so I did that once or twice with "II". I'm considering remixing "II" since I feel like my mixing capabilities have come a long way since I did that album - I remixed "I" a couple of years ago, and I've come a long way since even then!

Might have to have a listen to that one too!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2024, 04:44:32 PM »

Oh, well fuck me.  Spotify only listed the singles when you click on your band, so I assumed for some reason I and II weren't there.  Well, there goes my morning tomorrow!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2024, 07:04:58 AM »

Dude, I really liked it as well.  I liked that it was different than III, as much as I enjoyed III, but the instrumental thing was great as well.