Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's DRUMEO video series  (Read 19403 times)

the_silent_man, lucasembarbosa, ne9149 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: Mike Portnoy's DRUMEO video series
« Reply #245 on: March 20, 2024, 12:04:12 PM »
New video, this time it's Panic Attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa7oOdYPOSk

MP's drums sound incredible in these videos!!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #246 on: March 20, 2024, 05:30:32 PM »
Genuine question:

How is tik tok different than any other platform in regards to date sharing/selling and other huge privacy concerns? My understanding is that they all do it to a huge degree. The only difference is their affiliation with certain governments.

And to clarify, this is in no way a defense of tiktok which I find to be highly toxic and questionable.

That is a very big difference. Don't know if there is other stuff but this is a key difference and it's not just any government or just an 'affiliation.' I could see that as reason enough for just not wanting to deal with this.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: May 23, 2024, 12:50:04 PM »
Tomorrow Drumeo will drop a new video of MP learning and playing Pneuma by Tool.  :metal
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 03:55:18 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline emtee

« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2024, 01:22:55 PM »
Tomorrow Drum will drop a new video of MP learning and playing Pneuma by Tool.  :metal

Whoa! Holy crap...that is going to be amazing!

Online faizoff

« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2024, 02:07:49 PM »
I just saw that update, can't wait to watch that! The Danny Carey drum cam video of Pneuma was so fantastic to watch, curious how MP will play it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2024, 06:41:33 PM »
Indeed, Danny's performance on this song surely is among his best drum compositions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FssULNGSZIA
Really an interesting challenge for Mike!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #252 on: May 23, 2024, 06:53:48 PM »
To have an idea of how complex Danny's drum parts are, I recommend this Drumeo video analysis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLn6x6jdLdc&t=627s
These other 2 are pretty cool too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEntq_ynqLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI7BQklTzSo

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: May 23, 2024, 08:17:38 PM »
Indeed, Danny's performance on this song surely is among his best drum compositions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FssULNGSZIA
Really an interesting challenge for Mike!

I've watched this video so many times and it never ges old. It'll be interesting to see what MP's take is on the song. Danny has such a unique drumming style that it's hard to imagine how MP will play it.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2024, 06:17:31 AM »
Mike Portnoy Learns Impossible Danny Carey Drum Part

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3sEdST3D9E
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 06:49:12 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline emtee

« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2024, 06:57:14 AM »
Fell in love with this song, actually the whole album but this song is amazing. It took me probably 10 spins before I figured out what DC is doing, so I knew MP was going to struggle with it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #256 on: May 24, 2024, 07:43:37 AM »
That was a delight to watch, the whole production of it all, and Mike's reactions are hilarious and very relatable. You can tell Mike really reveres Danny, much in the way that most of us drummers do, and I'm glad Mike is, at very least, a casual fan of Tool, which I'm sure helped a little bit, but DAMN...what a bus to be throw under.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #257 on: May 24, 2024, 08:01:01 AM »
As someone that can only count on the most rudimentary level (and on the standard of Mike and some of the people here, I CAN'T count) it's amazing and fascinating to watch him count through this and figure it out.   

For a guy like me - a novice - this is great to hear him put to words what I'm hearing ("he's coming in on the two!" kind of thing).   

Unrelated though: this makes me even more impressed by Mike's fandom.  I think it's like magic; it's hard to be impressed when you can see behind the curtain.  I will NEVER crack the code; he will (and did, in a time) and with that skill, I can't believe that it's easy after 40+ years to turn that off and just let music "wash" over you like, for example, I do. 

Question for the drummers:  Mike's counting it while playing it; is DANNY counting this while playing it?  Or is he just reacting to the other players or what came before and "feeling" it?   It looks a bit like he is counting.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: May 24, 2024, 08:09:42 AM »
While I'm not a drummer I think he is counting it while playing, the other players are relying on Danny for most of the show, there is no click for Tool live or in studio, Danny is it.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #259 on: May 24, 2024, 08:16:25 AM »
I'm watching this video as kind of a preview of how Mike will learn some MM songs. Sure, very different styles and all, but I think MM and Danny have a similar approach in technique and in building their drum parts: very mathematical and cerebral (is that the right word in english?).

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: May 24, 2024, 08:17:48 AM »
Fell in love with this song, actually the whole album but this song is amazing. It took me probably 10 spins before I figured out what DC is doing, so I knew MP was going to struggle with it.

This song was an instant favourite of mine from that album, it still is my favourite.

I will watch the video when I get home from work.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #261 on: May 24, 2024, 08:28:45 AM »
This is actually fun to watch.

"6/6/5...the neighbor of the beast"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emtee

« Reply #262 on: May 24, 2024, 08:32:51 AM »
Counting for the creator of a piece, transcends into feel and muscle memory in my experience. This song for instance; you could have the most gifted sight reader ever and they will still struggle with a song like this initially.  Maybe each person is different but for me (when I was still actively playing) once I broke a song down, figured out the sections and played it a few times, I tended to rely on the feel more than counting.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #263 on: May 24, 2024, 08:34:49 AM »

That legitimately cracked me up. If nothing else, MP is witty when under pressure.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #264 on: May 24, 2024, 08:38:37 AM »
Only five hours to learn a song like THIS and get it pretty close? Damn, maybe Drumeo should have given him a harder one…but seriously what a fun video to watch. Let this be a reminder to people that Mike is STILL one of the best professional drummers in the world.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #265 on: May 24, 2024, 08:44:30 AM »
Only five hours to learn a song like THIS and get it pretty close? Damn, maybe Drumeo should have given him a harder one…but seriously what a fun video to watch. Let this be a reminder to people that Mike is STILL one of the best professional drummers in the world.

I was thinking something like that.  I think the "fears" about Mike playing the Mangini material credibly are unfounded. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #266 on: May 24, 2024, 08:44:38 AM »

We've got a brewery in Connecticut that makes a beer like that.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #267 on: May 24, 2024, 09:07:25 AM »
We've got a brewery in Connecticut that makes a beer like that.

Love that brewery/beer.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: May 24, 2024, 10:08:54 AM »
I was thinking something like that.  I think the "fears" about Mike playing the Mangini material credibly are unfounded.

Yeah. It just needs to go away. As I said before, some here talk as if Lars* is coming in for Mangini. It's just absurd.

What a fabulously entertaining video though, eh?

(* that's lazy of me, Lars really isn't a bad drummer)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online faizoff

« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2024, 02:42:08 PM »
That video was awesome lol I loved the MP fills during the middle part of the song and his improvs worked with the theme of the song. I wasn't expecting it to be a beat for beat repeat and MP did the song incredible justice. That was such a joy to watch.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #270 on: May 24, 2024, 03:17:17 PM »
That video was awesome lol I loved the MP fills during the middle part of the song and his improvs worked with the theme of the song. I wasn't expecting it to be a beat for beat repeat and MP did the song incredible justice. That was such a joy to watch.

Like he said at one point.....it's one thing to write these songs.....it's another to have to try and learn songs like that from scratch. Everyone knows MP's pedigree and that he is a phenomenal talent and writer. So, for him to lavish that type of praise and to have such a challenge to learn that song says a lot. And lets be honest.....5 hours to then play that song through is pretty remarkable.

It'd be awesome if they did indeed get Dana Carey on the channel and hit him with Dance of Eternity as MP suggested.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #271 on: May 24, 2024, 05:41:33 PM »
Great video. Loved him trying to math it out.

"This isn't a song, it's a math problem."

Tool has made a song based on the Fibonacci Sequence. So he is right.  :biggrin:

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Realm

« Reply #272 on: May 24, 2024, 06:05:22 PM »
Great video and just a phenomenal song. Well done to Mike. He was so great and I give him huge props for actually doing this.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #273 on: May 24, 2024, 08:47:49 PM »
Great video. Loved him trying to math it out.

"This isn't a song, it's a math problem."

Tool has made a song based on the Fibonacci Sequence. So he is right.  :biggrin:
And compared to Pneuma, that song is easy. I mean, by no means is Lateralus an easy song to learn or play. I did learn it and covered it a few times with my band years ago after many weeks of practice, but I still haven't figured out Pneuma entirely. What Mike did here was quite remarkable.

Yeah, I never doubted for a moment that Mike could play any of the Mangini material. Pneuma is a harder song to learn and play on drums than anything Mangini did in DT.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #274 on: May 24, 2024, 08:58:41 PM »
And compared to Pneuma, that song is easy. I mean, by no means is Lateralus an easy song to learn or play. I did learn it and covered it a few times with my band years ago after many weeks of practice, but I still haven't figured out Pneuma entirely. What Mike did here was quite remarkable.
Yeah, I never doubted for a moment that Mike could play any of the Mangini material. Pneuma is a harder song to learn and play on drums than anything Mangini did in DT.

Since it is Tool, Danny Carey did have a substantial amount of time to write out those drum parts.  :rollin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #275 on: May 24, 2024, 09:43:49 PM »

In terms of the composed varying time signatures, patterns and sections, sure, but in terms of ambidexterity, coordination and technique, i'd say no way (I'm talking exclusively about Pneuma, not Carey's overall skill level).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #276 on: May 25, 2024, 03:58:03 AM »
Yeah, being a drummer I can also say that Danny Carey and Mangini are different types of genius. Danny is an absolute master and I've seen that Pneuma drum cam I don't know how many times, and can't avoid seeing it whenever it pops, too perfect. What Mangini normally displays as default technic is quite different from what Danny does.

That said, I would say Mangini would figure out Pneuma verses faster than Portnoy. He even said it either on the video or comments on posts that he IS NOT a stellar writer of music sheet, like academically, which Mangini is! And that's okay, Portnoy is also another different kind of genius, he can play anything, displaying amazing technic, great personality and groove. What he did to Danny parts is exactly what I expect him to do with MM songs, not necessarily replicate the amount of singles Mangini can play with one hand at the intro of Pale Blue Dot, but playing the song in a creative and musical way that only he can do.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #277 on: May 25, 2024, 07:54:54 PM »
That was a cool video. I enjoy watching MP work.

Side note...I'm no prude, but the amount of F-bombs was...distracting..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #278 on: May 26, 2024, 05:44:03 AM »
That was a cool video. I enjoy watching MP work.

Side note...I'm no prude, but the amount of F-bombs was...distracting..

I felt the same. Maybe it’s something about being a dad, I would cringe every time he did it.

In a side note, nothing tops the greatest drumming video of all time….

https://youtu.be/VSoZUzMJ7DY?feature=shared

Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online faizoff

« Reply #279 on: May 26, 2024, 01:11:39 PM »
This cover popped in my feed of teens playing Pneuma and have to say they do a pretty good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK8WxxzreDg&ab_channel=Family_Band_Practice