Author Topic: John Fruciante (coming back) vs Mike Portnoy (coming back)  (Read 790 times)

Offline peacfulsedation

John Fruciante (coming back) vs Mike Portnoy (coming back)
« on: December 18, 2023, 05:34:44 PM »
John Fruciante (coming back) vs Mike Portnoy (coming back) : Josh Klinghoffer (leaving) vs Mike Mangini (leaving)

Thoughts? Parallels? Differences? Learnings?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: John Fruciante (coming back) vs Mike Portnoy (coming back)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 05:39:53 PM »
Who??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 05:48:50 PM »
Who??

:lol Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Personally, I absolutely hate RHCP so I can add nothing here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 05:55:09 PM »
First post, and in the wrong section.

Belongs in ‘General Music’ discussions.

Welcome to the forum. 😉
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 05:59:48 PM »
1.  Who?
2.  What is the distinction (or parallel) you are trying to make?
3.  Why should we care?

These are rather important pieces of the discussion that you are leaving out.  Not sure anyone can really add anything without knowing what you are getting at and what you are looking to discuss.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 06:03:43 PM »
1.  Who?
3.  Why should we care?

These are rather important pieces of the discussion that you are leaving out.  Not sure anyone can really add anything without knowing what you are getting at and what you are looking to discuss.

The only people that would have any real opinion or valuable weight in the debate would be if you were a big a fan of RHCP as you are of DT. 

All I can say is I knew who Frusciante is but I never even knew he left the band and came back.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline peacfulsedation

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 06:49:50 PM »
So sorry.

Yeah rookie error posting here.

Just was interested in the comparison on the two events. I guess it's too early still for DT as it is for RHCP.

Not sure if both exits have been in really good terms. With RHCP there's been a lot of press on how JK wasn't very happy about it. But still early days, and MM may come out later to really say his thoughts.... His reactions so far are cordial and democratic. "I understand the decision... etc." But hey. Don't want to stir things up... I just one of the few camps that wished they'd keep 2 drummers (or 2 keys (Derek)?)... or even JK and JF trading off leads and rhythms in RHCP! I was even keen on JP getting JR to also play guitar at one point that would be awesome...

Guess it's a financial thing too - more pieces of the pie being shared....

Sorry went on the rabbit hole there...

Happy for this to be transferred to General Disc if preferred by the moderators.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 07:02:52 PM »
It's too early. At this point we don't even know what DT with MP back sounds or looks like.

I am not familiar with the RHCP situation but hard to have a comparison when one of the things being compared is still so fresh.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 08:41:59 PM »
So sorry.

Yeah rookie error posting here.

Just was interested in the comparison on the two events. I guess it's too early still for DT as it is for RHCP.

Not sure if both exits have been in really good terms. With RHCP there's been a lot of press on how JK wasn't very happy about it. But still early days, and MM may come out later to really say his thoughts.... His reactions so far are cordial and democratic. "I understand the decision... etc." But hey. Don't want to stir things up... I just one of the few camps that wished they'd keep 2 drummers (or 2 keys (Derek)?)... or even JK and JF trading off leads and rhythms in RHCP! I was even keen on JP getting JR to also play guitar at one point that would be awesome...

Guess it's a financial thing too - more pieces of the pie being shared....

Sorry went on the rabbit hole there...

Happy for this to be transferred to General Disc if preferred by the moderators.

I listen to about as much of RCHP as I do DT now (although I don't know the backstory of RCHP as well as I do DT) and my personal opinion is that I don't think having Fruciante back is as impactful to the music as having MP back (presumably, there could be a chance the next DT record sounds exactly like DoT and View). I think RCHP is very consistent in their sound as a band regardless of the guitar player at the helm. If I sat down and listened to Black Clouds for the first time and then Dramatic Turn I'm pretty certain I could tell there was a different drummer. I don't feel confident I could do that with RCHP.

I will say the live dynamic is probably going to be with MP back, just like I think Fruciante really completes RCHP live.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 09:14:52 PM »
1.  Who?
3.  Why should we care?

The only people that would have any real opinion or valuable weight in the debate would be if you were a big a fan of RHCP as you are of DT. 

This, it is a random connection unless you're a big fan of both bands.

Honestly, I think you could randomly select any rock reunion and draw comparisons to DT. There have been a lot of Maiden comparisons but I think that's just because a lot of Maiden fans are on the board. I strongly believe that in the rock world, if an important former member leaves a band, a reunion is something like 95% certain. I think the only time reunions fall through or don't happen is when the initial split is because of a major change in artistic direction by one of the parties as was the case with Peter Gabriel in Genesis or Richie Blackmore with Deep Purple (not counting untimely deaths obviously).
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline HOF

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 09:55:44 PM »
I too did not know who John Fruciante was. I guess I remember him being the guy before Dave Navarro, but I was never a fan so the name didn't register.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 06:08:13 AM »
One key distinction for me that renders this apples to coffee cups:  Frusciante wasn't an original member. Hillel Slovak helped found the band with Keidis and Flea.   For many fans, they fell off when Slovak died, and the core material from the band were the records with him, before Frusciante ever joined:   Freakey Styley, The Uplift Mofo Party Plan...   

Online Mladen

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2023, 08:48:35 AM »
I've never been a RHCP fan and I've only known the hits back in 00s. The new guitarist came in and the first single that dropped was The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie. That song was unavoidable, it was literally everywhere. My main takeaway was that the guitar work in the chorus was gorgeous, so tasty, melodic and memorable. I was confident that the RHCP fan base embraced the new guitarist who can play and contribute stuff like that.

I was stunned to realize that many people rejected him right away and wanted Frusciante back. Similarly, I can imagine there was a casual Dream Theater listener who heard On the backs of angels back in 2011 and was impressed by the drumming, only to later realize that a chunk of the fan base wasn't thrilled and wanted Portnoy back nevertheless.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2023, 08:51:38 AM »
I think the difference is that RHCP could have easily kept two guitarists on, while it makes far less logistical sense for DT to keep two drummers.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2023, 09:56:10 AM »
hard to say when they haven't done anything with  Mike P yet
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2023, 10:02:27 AM »
John's return to RHCP hasn't been as good as expected IMO.  The two albums that came out last year are OK, a bit too bloated, but there's good stuff there.  I just expected better I think because the previous albums with him are their best.  Josh was fine with RHCP though, those two albums are just as good as the two new ones (if not better).

Can't gauge MP's return until they do something.

But like Stadler said, it's really not an apples to apples comparison here.

I had mentioned Bon Jovi's situation as a comparison, which isn't quite apples to apples, but I think it's better than this comparison.

Here's another interesting band change just announced yesterday....Rome is leaving Sublime with Rome likely because Sublime is going to go with Bradley Nowell's (the original singer/guitarist) son instead and go back to just being "Sublime".   Defininitely not an apples to apples comparison either, but interesting to think about how this went down.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 10:48:19 AM »
I always thought Sublime with Rome was kinda goofy and more like a Queen + Adam Lambert kind of situation. There’s only so much they can do when the guy who made the band what it was and wrote the songs is dead.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2023, 11:53:26 AM »
I always thought Sublime with Rome was kinda goofy and more like a Queen + Adam Lambert kind of situation. There’s only so much they can do when the guy who made the band what it was and wrote the songs is dead.

They made a few original albums though, I dont have any of them, but I do enjoy some of their original songs.  But I always got the idea it was Rome pushing to make music, and I'd guess the guys will just go back to being a Sublime only band.  No idea if the son is able to write music. I liked supporting Rome.  He got more shit than deserved. He always came off humble to me for getting to do what he did.