Author Topic: ALBUM OF THE MONTH CHALLENGE.  (Read 4232 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ALBUM OF THE MONTH CHALLENGE.
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2023, 05:01:54 PM »
OK, How about this??? All of you can submit 2 albums each in this thread. I will pick 1 and listen to it for the entire month of January. Same rules as far as my original criteria.  I will choose the album by Friday night. GO!!!!

You don't really need to do it mate.  I'd even if you wanted, just listen to all of the albums we list for you, maybe 1 or 2 each. You can rank them or something at the end of the month.  Why do it to yourself just one album dude.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2023, 05:02:56 PM »
OK, How about this??? All of you can submit 2 albums each in this thread. I will pick 1 and listen to it for the entire month of January. Same rules as far as my original criteria.  I will choose the album by Friday night. GO!!!!

You absolute mad man. You're gonna only listen to an album, chosen by us, for an entire month, no other listening?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2023, 05:11:00 PM »

You absolute mad man. You're gonna only listen to an album, chosen by us, for an entire month, no other listening?

My pick is Issa......any of them, they are all the same.  All of them if you really want.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2023, 05:14:33 PM »
True Symphonic Rockestra - Concerto in True Minor

If nobody else suggests anything, Tom will have to listen to this monstrosity and nothing else for a solid month by default. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2023, 05:16:23 PM »
True minor?  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2023, 05:19:50 PM »
I think based on what you all have been discussing, Tom, I think the challenge would be more acceptable again if you said that for January you are ONLY going to listen to albums in your CD collection??  I could easily do that because like others, I have at least half my collection I've never really listened to.

Or pick say an album a day out of your collection and listen to it a couple of times each day.  I dunno man, props for the thread but I think one album a month is kind of pointless......UNLESS.....you stumbled across something like OM where you are obsessed with it and don't want to listen to anything else.  The last real album I felt that way was Woe from An Abstract Illusion.  That was on repeat for a long time, but it was still broken up at times with other albums.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2023, 05:20:48 PM »
True minor?  :lol
One of the many truly awful things about that album. :lol A month of this would be some sort of experiment in torture.

Tom, if you do this with a more sensible option then I'd happily join my moderated version and listen to it once a day (assuming I don't know it well already).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2023, 05:22:02 PM »
I've never heard it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2023, 05:26:52 PM »
It's the only album I ever rated only half a star. My short review from RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/music-review/ariich/true_symphonic_rockestra/concerto_in_true_minor/32024406

Possibly the most hilariously bad thing I've ever heard. And this is coming from someone who loves genre shifting in cover songs.

The arrangements are laughable. The song choices are horrific. The vocals are so much worse than they should have been (the 2 classical tenors have great voices, but sound ridiculous over these rock arrangements, and in comparison Labrie sounds thin and weak, one of the worst performances I've heard from him). Everything about this album is bad. I was considering giving it 1 star because it can be good for a laugh, but sadly I get the impression that this album was made seriously, which makes it that little bit worse.

If you want an example, the start of Singing in the Rain never fails to crack me up.

I be am boner inducing.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2023, 05:31:48 PM »

This was your reaction when you read his post and thought of the possibilities.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2023, 05:35:30 PM »

My pick is Issa......any of them, they are all the same.  All of them if you really want.

Haha! One album for one month chosen by you all. You guys know my taste in general. Its something I personally want to do.

Luke, correct, no other listening. I'll be honest if I bail on it or not. If I do it though, RJ has to shave his nads with a cheese grater.  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2023, 05:37:22 PM »
It's the only album I ever rated only half a star. My short review from RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/music-review/ariich/true_symphonic_rockestra/concerto_in_true_minor/32024406

Possibly the most hilariously bad thing I've ever heard. And this is coming from someone who loves genre shifting in cover songs.

The arrangements are laughable. The song choices are horrific. The vocals are so much worse than they should have been (the 2 classical tenors have great voices, but sound ridiculous over these rock arrangements, and in comparison Labrie sounds thin and weak, one of the worst performances I've heard from him). Everything about this album is bad. I was considering giving it 1 star because it can be good for a laugh, but sadly I get the impression that this album was made seriously, which makes it that little bit worse.

If you want an example, the start of Singing in the Rain never fails to crack me up.

Alright, I'll sample this in a minute.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2023, 05:45:34 PM »
 :lol Labrie doing the climax in Nessun Dorma.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2023, 05:51:53 PM »
I may take the Issa album for a month over this.  What the fuck is this even supposed to be?  James sounds so bad.  Who told him this was a good idea and that he sounds good here?  :lol

Whoever plays the guitar did a tasty little solo in Moon River though.  That's easily the best part so far.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2023, 06:18:20 PM »
this thread is delivering.....   : )
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2023, 07:21:40 PM »
I may take the Issa album for a month over this.  What the fuck is this even supposed to be?  James sounds so bad.  Who told him this was a good idea and that he sounds good here?  :lol

Whoever plays the guitar did a tasty little solo in Moon River though.  That's easily the best part so far.

I think it was Ben Dover.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2023, 07:23:01 PM »
When I thought of this, before I posted it I told my wife I may get a few takers or it will go completely off the rails. I love my DTF family and didn't take offense, I love the passion here, believe me I have the same passion. This idea stemmed from a personal issue of jumping from album to album without listening deeply and becoming one with it like I used to years ago because honestly when a new album came out I would sit with it exclusively for a while. When Operation Mindcrime came out I think I played it non-stop for well over a month but back then music was not at our fingertips like today. The experience of music today is just not the same. I listen to tons of music but I miss getting to know every single note and fully absorbing it.  There's too much music coming out so we feel like we're missing out if we spend time on a specific album or band for that matter. So instead of slowing down to smell the roses we are speeding by multiple gardens with our noses out the windows getting only a quick whiff.
Even I couldn't do this, and I feel like I listen to less new music than most.  I appreciate the idea behind it, and I feel like I devote a lot of time to my favorite albums each year, sometimes to the exclusion of others I'd probably like.  But I still wouldn't want to listen to absolutely nothing else. In your Mindcrime example, didn't you at least also listen to the radio during that time?  When a new Katatonia or Leprous etc album comes out, I usually play it to death.  But I also play other albums by the band in question, and random other things I'm familiar with and in the mood for.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2023, 10:43:22 PM »
When I thought of this, before I posted it I told my wife I may get a few takers or it will go completely off the rails. I love my DTF family and didn't take offense, I love the passion here, believe me I have the same passion. This idea stemmed from a personal issue of jumping from album to album without listening deeply and becoming one with it like I used to years ago because honestly when a new album came out I would sit with it exclusively for a while. When Operation Mindcrime came out I think I played it non-stop for well over a month but back then music was not at our fingertips like today. The experience of music today is just not the same. I listen to tons of music but I miss getting to know every single note and fully absorbing it.  There's too much music coming out so we feel like we're missing out if we spend time on a specific album or band for that matter. So instead of slowing down to smell the roses we are speeding by multiple gardens with our noses out the windows getting only a quick whiff.
Even I couldn't do this, and I feel like I listen to less new music than most.  I appreciate the idea behind it, and I feel like I devote a lot of time to my favorite albums each year, sometimes to the exclusion of others I'd probably like.  But I still wouldn't want to listen to absolutely nothing else. In your Mindcrime example, didn't you at least also listen to the radio during that time? When a new Katatonia or Leprous etc album comes out, I usually play it to death.  But I also play other albums by the band in question, and random other things I'm familiar with and in the mood for.

Honestly, I only listened to O:M exclusively. If I was in someone else's car and the radio was on it was background under a conversation. I did the same for King Diamond "Abigail". Most of the time back then I listened to a few albums at a clip then moved on to another small batch. It wasn't until the internet that I would play a bunch of albums a day.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2023, 11:00:48 PM »
I'll do it for $100. 

I'll do an Issa album for $1000.

Who wants to fire up the GoFundMe? We HAVE to raise $1000!

I can PayPal him the money right now.

:rollin

Can't say I'm not mildly tempted.  I do love money.

$1000 Kangaroo bucks is like $35 US, right? 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2023, 02:22:49 AM »

This was your reaction when you read his post and thought of the possibilities.

No doubt. I'll submit 2 albums, but I will base it off two albums I would personally want to listen to over and over. Because of the nature of the challenge I'll pick albums that are long so it is a bit less repetitive for Tom.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2023, 02:47:26 AM »
I'll do it for $100. 

I'll do an Issa album for $1000.

Who wants to fire up the GoFundMe? We HAVE to raise $1000!

I can PayPal him the money right now.

:rollin

Can't say I'm not mildly tempted.  I do love money.

$1000 Kangaroo bucks is like $35 US, right?

:lol  Yeah pretty close!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2023, 04:10:38 AM »
I've realised there is only one answer here. It's King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard's Live at Red Rocks '22 album...

https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-red-rocks-22

It's 9 hours long, with 86 songs, covering their three 'Thee Hour Marathon, No Repeats Shows' from last year.

Not a single repeated song and a comprehensive guide to all things Gizz. I wonder how many times you could get all the way through it in a month?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2023, 04:14:21 AM »
9 fucking hours!?  :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2023, 04:16:55 AM »
9 fucking hours!?  :lol

The real challenge is if he can listen to the album once!

Here's the Spotify link just for you dude. It's actually 8.5 hours, so an absolute doddle.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0TadY57UqDxure9s1u2e04?si=xfaj9LgvQYSwrDMwyvg42g&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A0TadY57UqDxure9s1u2e04

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2023, 04:28:09 AM »
Actually, I vote for that Flaming Lips 24 hour song/album for Tom for January.  ;D

I will check out your lizard band Luke, I promise.  ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2023, 04:36:09 AM »
One album for one Month. Can anyone do it? Starting January 1st to the 30th pick one album and listen to nothing else. Greatest hits, live albums, Deluxe Versions, and Anthologies are excluded. Double albums are fine if its one release, (Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence) is acceptable and those alike. You get the picture. February 1 you're free. Obviously this is all on the honor system..I thought about doing this myself to become one with an album like I used to do but I wondered if anyone could do it. Post your album here, you have until New Years Eve to submit. I'm still thinking about mine but I'm excited to do this. I hope a few of you get on board.

Lucky for Tom, that Gizzard album doesn't meet the criteria.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2023, 04:43:15 AM »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2023, 04:44:29 AM »
One album for one Month. Can anyone do it? Starting January 1st to the 30th pick one album and listen to nothing else. Greatest hits, live albums, Deluxe Versions, and Anthologies are excluded. Double albums are fine if its one release, (Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence) is acceptable and those alike. You get the picture. February 1 you're free. Obviously this is all on the honor system..I thought about doing this myself to become one with an album like I used to do but I wondered if anyone could do it. Post your album here, you have until New Years Eve to submit. I'm still thinking about mine but I'm excited to do this. I hope a few of you get on board.

What if it's all of them in one? :neverusethis:

I will check out your lizard band Luke, I promise.  ;D

It's cute you think you have some choice in the matter.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2023, 06:04:01 AM »

« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 02:35:00 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2023, 09:10:34 AM »

I remember hearing this at the time of release and having to turn it off... quickly. I found it unpleasant.

Wonder what crystalstars would make of it? :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2023, 10:28:41 AM »

I remember hearing this at the time of release and having to turn it off... quickly. I found it unpleasant.

Wonder what crystalstars would make of it? :biggrin:
"Best album ever"
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Glasser

« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2023, 02:19:55 PM »
That's correct. No live albums.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2023, 02:33:44 PM »
Tom, I can't do this challenge, but I AM going to challenge myself to listen to a particular album everyday this week, alongside my usual listening. That's the best I can do.

The album of choice is Korn's self titled debut. I was watching a Devin Townsend vocal reaction video the other day, which led me to a vocal reaction to Freak on a Leash. It's been YEARS since I listened to that song and I admit I played it another 3 or 4 times in the next 24 hours. I was never hugely into Korn, although I've tried many times over the years.

I have already spun a few albums of theirs over the last few days, so here we are. I listened to the debut yesterday and thought "this will be the album I'm gonna go with". I loved it yesterday and I feel a week with it will give me a much better appreciation. Today was day 2, so yea, the thread has influenced my listening somewhat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2023, 05:22:14 PM »
Korn's debut just cracked my top 50.  What an incredible, angry, hostile, moody and intense album.  So new and unique for the time and at times, a disturbing album.  Groovy as fuck too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2023, 05:23:19 PM »
I saw Korn a couple of times in the mid 90's and holy shit did they blow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol