Author Topic: ALBUM OF THE MONTH CHALLENGE.  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: ALBUM OF THE MONTH CHALLENGE.
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2023, 06:28:45 AM »
I know this challenge. I call it marriage.

Can I get a new wife on Feb 1? :lol

That, or a new argument monopolising the whole month.

Offline emtee

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2023, 07:29:36 AM »
I would end up hating the album forever. I would hear the songs in my dreams and then I would snap and go postal. :)

No can do.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2023, 08:45:40 AM »
I know this challenge. I call it marriage.

Can I get a new wife on Feb 1? :lol

That, or a new argument monopolising the whole month.

That's not even a "challenge".  That's what I call "starting a conversation before she's had morning coffee".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2023, 08:51:14 AM »
You dare that? I stay focking locked inside my bathroom until she's properly caffeined.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2023, 09:33:48 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen DTF so united over anything as it is in this thread. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2023, 09:40:02 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen DTF so united over anything as it is in this thread. :lol

And yet people have those "desert island albums" lists, which I'm never able to compile 'cause there's no album I would keep in constant rotation. My favorite album ever is Scenes from a Memory and I can't even remember the last time I heard it  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2023, 09:44:00 AM »
So true!

One thing is damn sure, no one is gonna make me limit my musical intake!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2023, 11:52:58 AM »

And yet people have those "desert island albums" lists, which I'm never able to compile 'cause there's no album I would keep in constant rotation. My favorite album ever is Scenes from a Memory and I can't even remember the last time I heard it  :lol
Well, a desert album situation is where you have no choice.

Response to Glasser's idea was pretty harsh.  Hate to see that.  Having said that, no fucking way in hell would I do this.

ariich's counter-proposal of having to listen to the album once a day for a month is more palatable.  But I still wouldn't do that without, I don't know, some money on the line or something.  I wouldn't get to know the album better, I would grow to hate the album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2023, 12:02:20 PM »
I mean as always this time of year on the radio at work and in the shops all I hear is the same 15 Christmas songs over and over - and yeah I hate it!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2023, 12:15:32 PM »
I didn't mean to sound harsh, I was just trying to work in a no-nut November joke.

Also, I don't think anyone thought it was a plausible (or enjoyable) premise.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2023, 12:19:05 PM »
Yea I didn't intend any comment to be criticising Tom. I think challenges like this can be great and I definitely 'force' (and I use rhat term loosely) listening schedules on myself in an attempt to shake up my listening habits.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2023, 12:25:54 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2023, 12:27:52 PM »
Love you, Tom!! We're just goofing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2023, 12:50:53 PM »
When I thought of this, before I posted it I told my wife I may get a few takers or it will go completely off the rails. I love my DTF family and didn't take offense, I love the passion here, believe me I have the same passion. This idea stemmed from a personal issue of jumping from album to album without listening deeply and becoming one with it like I used to years ago because honestly when a new album came out I would sit with it exclusively for a while. When Operation Mindcrime came out I think I played it non-stop for well over a month but back then music was not at our fingertips like today. The experience of music today is just not the same. I listen to tons of music but I miss getting to know every single note and fully absorbing it.  There's too much music coming out so we feel like we're missing out if we spend time on a specific album or band for that matter. So instead of slowing down to smell the roses we are speeding by multiple gardens with our noses out the windows getting only a quick whiff.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2023, 01:09:31 PM »
I could do a desert island situation for a month , limiting to 10 albums.
But limiting to 1 no...

Or perhaps if my copy of The Pineapple Thief's 8 disc How Did We Find Our Way arrives before the 1st and that would count. Maybe something like that could work.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2023, 01:15:58 PM »
When I thought of this, before I posted it I told my wife I may get a few takers or it will go completely off the rails. I love my DTF family and didn't take offense, I love the passion here, believe me I have the same passion. This idea stemmed from a personal issue of jumping from album to album without listening deeply and becoming one with it like I used to years ago because honestly when a new album came out I would sit with it exclusively for a while. When Operation Mindcrime came out I think I played it non-stop for well over a month but back then music was not at our fingertips like today. The experience of music today is just not the same. I listen to tons of music but I miss getting to know every single note and fully absorbing it.  There's too much music coming out so we feel like we're missing out if we spend time on a specific album or band for that matter. So instead of slowing down to smell the roses we are speeding by multiple gardens with our noses out the windows getting only a quick whiff.

Dude, I couldn't agree more! It's why I have such an elaborate set of playlists, designed to ensure I revisit albums and give them their due.

I'd be up for picking an album and playing it once a day, for a week, alongside my normal listening!

Offline emtee

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2023, 01:21:47 PM »

I made kind of a big change in regards to this. I was buying 50+ albums a year and mostly listening in a passive manner while doing something else. So I decided that I would cut the purchases way down and every inaugural listen would be headphones only...active listening while fully immersed. This has made a HUGE change for me. I find myself thoroughly enjoying almost every new album. So much so that I listen to all my music now in this manner.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2023, 01:22:21 PM »
I totally get that. I've realized these days that I have trouble actually naming tracks from the discs I listen to. Now it's, 'oh, I think track 5 is the one I really like'. I've lamented that for years, not being able to really get to know an album. I'm ashamed to say I probably have dozens of albums now that I haven't even listened to, yet I keep buying them.

If we get wolf to listen to Issa for a month, this thread will be the best ever.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »
So instead of slowing down to smell the roses we are speeding by multiple gardens with our noses out the windows getting only a quick whiff.
That's a great way of putting, and I agree 100%.

The thing is, at least for me, I feel like I can't sit down and analyze an album like I used to. Back in college, I used to go into the music practice room, lock myself in there for hours at a time listening to music and analyzing what I heard (trying to play it as well). Other times I would sit at home with the tabs/sheet music on hand and follow along, just to see what was going on. Nowadays most of my listening comes while sitting at work. If I listen to something while driving, it's usually background stuff and I'm not necessarily paying a bunch of attention. And I only play music at home when I need background noise while cleaning lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2023, 01:30:42 PM »
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 to all of the above posts back to Tom's explanation.

I've bout 27 albums this year, and have 42 saved on Spotify.  I had been trying for the past few years to limit that to 25/25, but failed spectacularly this year.  Compound that by 10 years that Spotify has been in Canada, plus all the non-new releases I've purchased over the years, and I've got probably close to 1000 new albums added to my library in the past 20 years.

Bottom line is, as I (we) age, and continue to be a music whore, the amount of new hours in the day isn't changing, so either I stop exploring new music entirely, or I just grin and bear it.  I'm tending to go with the latter.  I'll never be able to consume and "know" music like I did when I was a teenager or in my early 20s.

Online HOF

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2023, 01:37:37 PM »
I can see some value to this exercise and can appreciate the idea behind it. These days if a new release gets a solid week of (mostly) exclusivity with me it’s doing really well. Though I’m not sure that a month of exclusivity is necessary to really sink into an album. Even back when I had a few dozen CDs I probably didn’t only listen to one album for a month straight. There is the possibility of burn out if you listen to something too much, and I’ve always tried to guard against that with new albums a bit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2023, 01:58:13 PM »

The issue is, quality and ground breaking albums like Operation Mincrime just aren't produced anymore.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2023, 02:26:51 PM »
Oh absolutely, I totally get it. I do still do that with a few albums a year, the ones that really hook me in for obsessive multiple listens. My top 4 this year were all like that, especially the top 3. But yes I know what you mean, the rest ranges but some albums I like a lot but only end up giving a handful of listens to.

And yeah I think any "harsh" aspects of our responses was intended as gentle ribbing among friends (certainly in my case and I'm sure for others too).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2023, 02:29:21 PM »
Response to Glasser's idea was pretty harsh.  Hate to see that.  Having said that, no fucking way in hell would I do this.

:lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2023, 02:47:28 PM »

Bottom line is, as I (we) age, and continue to be a music whore, the amount of new hours in the day isn't changing, so either I stop exploring new music entirely, or I just grin and bear it.  I'm tending to go with the latter.  I'll never be able to consume and "know" music like I did when I was a teenager or in my early 20s.

Very much this  :)...which is great (I love lots of new music!) and sad at the same time...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2023, 02:51:11 PM »
And yeah I think any "harsh" aspects of our responses was intended as gentle ribbing among friends (certainly in my case and I'm sure for others too).

Glasser…gently ribbed for our pleasure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2023, 02:55:52 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2023, 03:15:39 PM »
This has been an ongoing issue for a long time.  You start young with a small collection that you know quite well, but at some point you've amassed so much music that you realize you are just never going to know even a fraction of it as well as you did some of the earliest music you discovered.  And there's both a neverending supply of new music coming like a firehose, as well as the vast library of music that's already been released that you gradually discover. 

I feel like the roulettes have been the biggest help in this regard for me in years.  Both in hosting one and participating in them, it forces me to more closely listen to music than I often otherwise would in deciding what to send, and this often leads to deepening my appreciation for these artists.  Sometimes I send long-established favorites that I already know quite well, other times I send ones I like but don't know as intimately, but the process familiarizes me with them much more and often leads to digging deeper into their catalog than I had previously. 

I also find doing various playlists, including the current one for the year, is more effective sometimes even than albums, since it's much more manageable time-wise to make progress than listening through entire albums.  And it often results in listening to the whole albums later on anyway. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2023, 03:51:20 PM »

:lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2023, 03:58:02 PM »

The issue is, quality and ground breaking albums like Operation Mincrime just aren't produced anymore.

Very true Kade. And on top of that back then there were only a handful of releases coming out at a clip. The internet on many levels ruined music while st the dame time opened up the possibility of access to more great stuff. So this gets chalked up to the new world we live in. On a side note what Issa album am I buying you for Christmas?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2023, 04:03:53 PM »
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 to all of the above posts back to Tom's explanation.

I've bout 27 albums this year, and have 42 saved on Spotify.  I had been trying for the past few years to limit that to 25/25, but failed spectacularly this year.  Compound that by 10 years that Spotify has been in Canada, plus all the non-new releases I've purchased over the years, and I've got probably close to 1000 new albums added to my library in the past 20 years.

Boy does this hit home. Although I've bought 187 new albums this year. I've only thoroughly listened to about half of them. And there are a number I haven't even gotten to yet.

Very true Kade. And on top of that back then there were only a handful of releases coming out at a clip. The internet on many levels ruined music while st the dame time opened up the possibility of access to more great stuff. So this gets chalked up to the new world we live in. On a side note what Issa album am I buying you for Christmas?

Pick the one where she looks super dopey on the cover......oh wait, that's all of them.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2023, 04:17:02 PM »
Is Issa only a meme on DTF? 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2023, 04:52:33 PM »
OK, How about this??? All of you can submit 2 albums each in this thread. I will pick 1 and listen to it for the entire month of January. Same rules as far as my original criteria.  I will choose the album by Friday night. GO!!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2023, 05:00:10 PM »
Pick the one where she looks super dopey on the cover......oh wait, that's all of them.