Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 43795 times)

Offline Ruba

Re: Nine Inch Nails
« Reply #385 on: March 26, 2020, 12:36:31 PM »
Nine Inch Nails just released two new albums for free

Ghosts V and VI are available to download and stream

https://www.nin.com/

Thanks for the heads up!

Never really listened to anything by NiN consciously... this might be a good moment to start. What would you guys recommend for a rookie?

Depends on what you like. I started with Pretty Hate Machine, but got hooked on with Broken and The Downward Spiral. The Downward Spiral is my favourite of theirs and pretty diverse in style, although quite dark. If you're a metalhead, definitely give Broken a spin (don't forget the hidden tracks!). With Teeth is probably the most "accessible" of their records, on it NIN sounds like an actual band to me. And I'd also recommend Pretty Hate Machine, it has an interesting brand of dark industrial pop I've never encountered elsewhere.

The Fragile is an interesting one, it is quite experimental. To me it has couple of duds (not surprising considering its length), but most of it is really good.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:44:53 PM by Ruba »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #386 on: March 26, 2020, 12:45:23 PM »
The Fragile was what got me into them, actually. Length-aside, I'd definitely consider it to be more accessible than The Downward Spiral or a lot of their other stuff. Same goes for With Teeth, but I don't think that one's quite as good as the other two I've mentioned.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #387 on: March 26, 2020, 02:53:45 PM »
I also recommend The Fragile. That's the album that got me into them.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: March 27, 2020, 01:38:27 PM »
I also recommend The Fragile. That's the album that got me into them.

Me too.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #389 on: March 29, 2020, 06:16:52 AM »
Thanks guys, I think I read The Fragile the most... will listen to it :)
any rock can be made to roll

Online faizoff

« Reply #390 on: March 29, 2020, 12:12:40 PM »
For me when I first listened to NIN I tried with the Fragile and it kinda did the opposite, it turned me off them for a while. It can be a lot to take in since they are two 2 discs of material. It's definately an amazing album with some of their best stuff but it can be daunting to start off with. Again different strokes for different folks.

I personally have a hard time deciding which album of theirs is my favorite.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #391 on: March 29, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »
I tried to go to Downward spiral first, but it was just too much. It was like trying to hold fire in my hands. Its so full of rage and despair that I was almost scared of it. Its now one of my favorite albums, but I only break it out when I need to.

The Fragile is a much more somber and introspective album imo. Its born of a man further along in life and more reflective. Its passionate and beautiful, but hopeful at the same time. I've always found it very uplifting.