Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 43622 times)

Offline Zoom E

Re: Nine Inch Nails
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2009, 08:01:57 PM »
The Broken EP is great, and probably the heaviest thing they've done. The Downward Spiral is definitely the best place to start.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2009, 09:39:16 PM »
I'll go ahead and recommend Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, Broken, and Fixed. 

God do I love old Nine Inch Nails. 

They're also fantastic live...do yourself a favor and go see them if you get a chance. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2009, 10:45:23 PM »
Kermit's version of Hurt was nowhere near as good as his cover of Radiohead's Creep.  I'll stick with Trent.

Well, it's the same as the Johnny Cash version just with the original lyrics (crown of shit instead of thorns), and the Johnny Cash version is a travesty, so...:D

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like there's way more emotion behind the original version than Cash's version, though most people like Cash's version better for some reason.

I definitely prefer the original version.  But Cash's version is still pretty good.  It still carries a lot of emotional weight behind it, even though it's not as powerful as Trent's version.  Although I think a lot of it has to do with the vocals. 

Either way, Cash's version is easily more commercial, so it makes sense that people prefer it.  Sadly enough.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 12:00:41 AM »
I still think Trent's version is much more emotional in terms of the album, especially after The Downward Spiral. I mean he's practically crying when he's singing it. Cash's version is good on it's own though since you compared it to singularity.

The Broken EP is great, and probably the heaviest thing they've done. The Downward Spiral is definitely the best place to start.

Oh yeah. Broken has some awesome stuff on it. Last, Happiness In Slavery. So good.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2009, 01:22:03 AM »
I still think Trent's version is much more emotional in terms of the album, especially after The Downward Spiral. I mean he's practically crying when he's singing it. Cash's version is good on it's own though since you compared it to singularity.

Oh yeah. Broken has some awesome stuff on it. Last, Happiness In Slavery. So good.

Though And All That Could Have Been's version of Gave Up spanks the studio version with a paddle.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2009, 06:41:52 AM »
I feel like I'm usually the minority but Year Zero is really good.

It is good. It took a while to grow on me tho
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline blackie.

• If they act too hip, you know they can't play shit
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2009, 01:24:20 AM »
I feel like I'm usually the minority but Year Zero is really good.

Year Zero is my favorite nin album post-TDS, and probably third all time (TDS, Broken).

Nine Inch Nails surpassed Radiohead as my favorite band.  NIN was #1 for a long, long time, and recently Radiohead bumped them off... but NIN came back real hard after I saw the setlists for the recent tour and it's such a shame I can't catch any of the shows.

Also, interesting note: I found the cloth/limited special edition of AATCHB/Still at FYE today for $20.  What a bargain!
-DS

Offline jezstyle

• Rafiki from Stradley Hall
  • Rafiki from Stradley Hall
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2009, 07:50:18 PM »
I think Nine Inch Nails was always kind of fated to be the story of one guy's destruction. Hell, titles like "The Downward Spiral" and "the Self-Destruct tour" proved eerily prophetic. We were always watching a man watching his own slide to ruin. It was beautiful, it was chilling, and it was so real it made Trent the poster-boy for "Rock Casualties Waiting to Happen."

What no one expected was that "Nine Inch Nails" would also become a story about return, redemption, and recovery. "With Teeth" saw him finding his footing again by grabbing on to classic rock sounds, even conjuring a screaming crowd on the last track. "Year Zero" was indicative of his new social and political awareness: opening up to a world beyond himself. "The Slip" and "Ghosts" were both symptoms of a new, sober, overactive creativity and vessels for his varyed business experiments. The internet has given him the freedom none of his million-dollar record contracts or countless legal fights could.

Now we see him sober, happy, stable, creative, successful, loving and secure in the knowledge that he's loved. They say the only difference between a happy ending and a sad ending is where you run out of film. I can't blame Trent for wanting to cut the film right here and let NIN stand as a paragon for what you can survive and achieve, if you just keep fighting.

Offline blackie.

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 11:03:07 PM »
Extremely well put, man.
-DS

Offline Ocean Machine

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2009, 03:26:59 PM »
The Fragile is my favorite record of theirs, but I guess I'm in the minority on that one.
"What in the HELL does Total Mass Retain even mean?!"

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2009, 03:32:21 PM »
I think Nine Inch Nails was always kind of fated to be the story of one guy's destruction. Hell, titles like "The Downward Spiral" and "the Self-Destruct tour" proved eerily prophetic. We were always watching a man watching his own slide to ruin. It was beautiful, it was chilling, and it was so real it made Trent the poster-boy for "Rock Casualties Waiting to Happen."

What no one expected was that "Nine Inch Nails" would also become a story about return, redemption, and recovery. "With Teeth" saw him finding his footing again by grabbing on to classic rock sounds, even conjuring a screaming crowd on the last track. "Year Zero" was indicative of his new social and political awareness: opening up to a world beyond himself. "The Slip" and "Ghosts" were both symptoms of a new, sober, overactive creativity and vessels for his varyed business experiments. The internet has given him the freedom none of his million-dollar record contracts or countless legal fights could.

Now we see him sober, happy, stable, creative, successful, loving and secure in the knowledge that he's loved. They say the only difference between a happy ending and a sad ending is where you run out of film. I can't blame Trent for wanting to cut the film right here and let NIN stand as a paragon for what you can survive and achieve, if you just keep fighting.

:clap:

Pretty much this. You win the thread.

The Fragile is my favorite record of theirs, but I guess I'm in the minority on that one.

The Fragile is a fantastic album, and musically it's my favorite, but Year Zero still edges it out for personal reasons.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline blackie.

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2009, 12:43:21 AM »
YZ is a very, very close to TDS for me in terms of favorite albums. 
-DS

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2009, 07:36:22 AM »
Superbump:

I know nothing about NIN besides the fact that Trent Reznor seems like a pretty sweet dude after watching him on Digg Dialogg. I downloaded The Slip from their website. Bad choice?

Offline Tracer112

• Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2009, 10:06:02 AM »
Superbump:

I know nothing about NIN besides the fact that Trent Reznor seems like a pretty sweet dude after watching him on Digg Dialogg. I downloaded The Slip from their website. Bad choice?
Not really, I mean its far from their best, but it's still a great listen.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2009, 10:37:56 AM »
Superbump:

I d/l the Slip when it came out, but honestly, I really dont like it. But I always hear about how great NIN is on this board, so I was curious: Should I "reboot" my exploration of them? Where should I start?
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Tracer112

• Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2009, 11:34:36 AM »
Superbump:

I d/l the Slip when it came out, but honestly, I really dont like it. But I always hear about how great NIN is on this board, so I was curious: Should I "reboot" my exploration of them? Where should I start?
Yes, get the Downward Spiral immediately.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2009, 02:43:09 PM »
Superbump:

Yes, get the Downward Spiral immediately.

Then follow up with The Fragile and give yourself 2 hours alone with it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 06:53:26 PM »
download spiral is fantastic. I just listened to it at work today

stev0ftw

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2009, 11:31:50 PM »
Hey all.  New to the forum...post-wise.  I've been lurking for a little while now.

Figured this would be just as good a topic as any to jump into...I am a Nails fan and have been for many years...through all the eras of the band.  Actually just saw them 2x (on the rail in Chicago and backstage in Indy).  Sadly, Trent has said that he is stepping away from touring after this current tour (with Jane's Addiction and Tom Morello/Boots Riley's new band - Street Sweeper Social Club) is over.

Anyway - as for the OP: The thing with NIN is that TR was able to reinvent his sound several times over the years, and change with time.  Yes, The Downward Spiral is just a really good starting point CD for the catalog.  That's been established, and I agree.

The Fragile is just...an amazing collective album.  Definitely takes a couple listens to digest it.  I went to a Meet & Greet with the band in Indy and had my copy of TF signed by the band. 

Pretty Hate Machine had its place, but as was mentioned in the thread already, songs like "Terrible Lie" and of course "Head Like A Hole" are so much better live and in current form, as opposed to when PHM was released 20 years ago. 

Broken is the best EP album I've seen.  Just so many GOOD and HARD songs with very little filler at all on the record ("Help Me I Am In Hell" being the only example.)

With Teeth came after TR had gone sober, and it shows.  It's a definite departure from TDS or TF.  It's a very guitar-led album.  No wonder it was their highest-selling album.

Year Zero and the Alternate Reality Game surrounding it was more than just a CD launch.  It really made the listeners feel as if they were immersed in a dysfunctional utopian society.  I'm eager to see if any other bands will have anything similar with future releases.  VERY tech sounding. 

And The Slip...well, The Slip was recorded while the band was currently on tour and I believe, comes full circle.  Of course, you have the synthy tracks on there, the quiet tracks, and the straight ahead rock tracks.

Hopefully this works for you...and hopefully I didn't confuse you even more...lol.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2011, 05:16:59 PM »
TEH EPIC BUMP.

I used to be a huge NIN junkie. Trent was one of my very first obsessions. I'd listen to them all day long. TDS was about all I listened to for about 6 months when I first got it. I have all their studio albums, live material, and a few of the remixes.

I've only recently gotten back into them, and it' awesome. Oh, the memories.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2011, 09:50:34 PM »
Best Song = Something I Can Never Have. Love the brooding element to it, fits the lyrical modd perfectly.

(I think that's the name)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2011, 10:04:26 PM »
Best Song = Something I Can Never Have. We're In This Together

Fix'd for me

...my name is Araragi.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: I'm... Uh... Not in a good place right now
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 03:12:18 AM »
You're both right. Those are two of my favorites.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »
I'd say start with The Downward Spiral.  That one is really Trent's definitive and most well-known album.  The other ones are great as well, but if you can't get into TDS, you might have some trouble with the others.  Personally, I really love rocking/catchy vibe of With Teeth and also the 80's sounds on Pretty Hate Machine.  The remix of PHM sounds GREAT to me.

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
Woops, that initial post was two years ago... haha  But yes, NIN is great!  I'm really digging "Pretty Hate Machine" right now!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2011, 02:07:30 PM »
 :rollin Holy shit I miss wrath

Anyways, I'm now a massive fan, so this thread was a success :D
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
I watched Beside You In Time again last night for the first time in at least over a year... such a rocking concert  :metal

Has anyone watched any of the Closure footage? I own a copy of the VHS tapes  :heart but it's all over youtube, too. Trent had such a crazy image back then--dark, dim lighting, fishnets, eyeliner, gloves, leather, cornstarch, gritty curtains, and tons of on-stage violence and destruction of instruments. Total apeshit.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »
I'm just properly discovering NIN, starting with The Fragile, after digging Year Zero for a while. I've been listening to it for months, but I'm so hooked on it, I don't have any curiosity for further NIN. That'll come when the awesomeness of The Fragile starts to wear off for me.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2011, 05:08:44 PM »
I'm just properly discovering NIN, starting with The Fragile, after digging Year Zero for a while. I've been listening to it for months, but I'm so hooked on it, I don't have any curiosity for further NIN. That'll come when the awesomeness of The Fragile starts to wear off for me.
Check out the The Downward Spiral when you decide to delve further.

I still remember my first listen of that album when I was 13. It changed my life and was unlike anything I had ever heard before. It opened up a whole new world to me /fanboi

That's pretty much when my obsession started. Then I went a long time without listening to NIN, and now I'm falling in love all over again  :D

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2011, 06:59:17 PM »
I watched Beside You In Time again last night for the first time in at least over a year... such a rocking concert  :metal
BYIT is alright, but definitely a rushed product compared to And All That Could Have Been, probably my favourite live album/DVD ever (but one that was very obviously overdubbed to hell). i find BYIT lacks a lot in comparison.

Has anyone watched any of the Closure footage? I own a copy of the VHS tapes  :heart but it's all over youtube, too.
also just want to mention that the band released a DVD update of Closure with extra bonus footage to The Pirate Bay years ago, when red tape with Interscope prevented the physical release. it's excellent, especially the second disc with all the music videos. "Eraser" -> "Hurt" ftw!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »
BYIT is alright, but definitely a rushed product compared to And All That Could Have Been, probably my favourite live album/DVD ever (but one that was very obviously overdubbed to hell). i find BYIT lacks a lot in comparison.
The only real complaint I have about BYIT is that some of the instruments sound hushed, especially Alessandro's keyboards. AATCHB was one of the very first live DVDs I ever watched, and it still holds a special place in my heart.

Has anyone watched any of the Closure footage? I own a copy of the VHS tapes  :heart but it's all over youtube, too.
also just want to mention that the band released a DVD update of Closure with extra bonus footage to The Pirate Bay years ago, when red tape with Interscope prevented the physical release. it's excellent, especially the second disc with all the music videos. "Eraser" -> "Hurt" ftw!
Yup. Interscope refused to release it, for whatever reason. So Reznor trolled them all and leaked it online  :biggrin: That was the precursor to him giving labels the middle finger and going independent. Still would have been awesome to have a physical copy of the DVD, though. Whenever I need a Closure fix, I just watch them on my computer, since it's too much of a hassle to pop in VHS anymore  :P But I still love having it for sentimental and collection reasons.

Also, I just finished listening to all of Ghosts! Some gorgeous, atmospheric stuff there. It's a testament to Trent's bravery and willingness to think outside the box.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2011, 08:45:38 PM »
Just got this in the mail! So glad to have a DVD of it after having it on VHS for years. God bless the devoted bastards who made the torrent into DVDs all across the world.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2011, 03:28:19 AM »
Just got this in the mail! So glad to have a DVD of it after having it on VHS for years. God bless the devoted bastards who made the torrent into DVDs all across the world.

Wow that's awesome. I have the Dvd's but just burned copies. The artwork is very nice.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2011, 03:29:07 AM »
:rollin Holy shit I miss wrath

Anyways, I'm now a massive fan, so this thread was a success :D

So after all this time what do you think now and what are you favorite albums/songs? I'm a big fan of his first few albums. Lately it's hit or miss but i did love the Social Network score he did.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2011, 04:18:16 AM »
Maybe i'm all mess up! Maybe i'm all messed up in you!!!