Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 43820 times)

Offline NotePad

Re: Nine Inch Nails
« Reply #315 on: February 08, 2014, 12:26:12 PM »
I love Hesitation Marks, very impressive album. What i'm really curious about and will soon listen to is the album he did that's mostly ambient in style. idk what the title was, but it seems like it could be cool.

I like how NIN has been popular and 'in style' ever since they began their career. They've managed to bypass all the trends in music, yet have stayed modern sounding. Downward Spiral does not sound 'aged'. Although maybe in 80 years this wont be the case, but for now i see it this way..

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #316 on: February 08, 2014, 12:28:55 PM »
I liked Hesitation Marks.

Oh and by the way,I've only heard Hesitation Marks and The Fragile in full. Any tips/recommendations?

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #317 on: February 08, 2014, 01:05:36 PM »
I like how NIN has been popular and 'in style' ever since they began their career. They've managed to bypass all the trends in music, yet have stayed modern sounding. Downward Spiral does not sound 'aged'. Although maybe in 80 years this wont be the case, but for now i see it this way..
I agree with this, although especially WRT The Downward Spiral. It does not sound like an album from the early 90's. Part of that is the production on it (the drums are MASSIVE) and the other part is the music itself.

Pretty Hate Machine does sound like something that crawled up and out of the 80's though. Still a great album. :)

Oh and by the way,I've only heard Hesitation Marks and The Fragile in full. Any tips/recommendations?
Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #318 on: February 13, 2014, 12:55:53 AM »
I know NiN is really just Reznor, but has other musicians he tours with for live shows.

I'v never seen a NiN show. When live, what instruments does he play himself? Theres a ton of electronic stuff in their music, is  any of their music prerecorded at live shows?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: February 13, 2014, 12:47:02 PM »
Based on what i've seen from live DVDs - he has a full band playing - He plays rhythm mostly.

I'm thinking the synths are set up to play the sounds for each song and they just play over it.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: February 13, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
I know NiN is really just Reznor, but has other musicians he tours with for live shows.

I'v never seen a NiN show. When live, what instruments does he play himself? Theres a ton of electronic stuff in their music, is  any of their music prerecorded at live shows?

every tour is different, but the basic setup has a live guitarist, keyboardist, bassist, drummer, and TR singing without playing anything. they play everything to a click and having backing tracks but they're usually just essentials — the "machine gun" loop in "Reptile," for instance, or the beat loop in "The Mark Has Been Made." TR only plays when needed (and gets the tambourine when there's a break with nothing to play!) so that his vocals don't suck. the essential idea is that as much as possible is performed live, even if it means Ilan Rubin has to play an e-kit instead of a real drumset.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #321 on: March 05, 2014, 12:40:36 PM »

I like Hesitation Marks too, but it's my least favourite NIN record by far, save Ghosts I-IV which I have yet to hear.

Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral.

All NIN albums up to HM are great, but those two are good starters.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #322 on: March 16, 2014, 03:55:57 AM »
They just announced a summer tour with Soundgarden.

https://www.facebook.com/ninofficial

I would have just been happy seeing NIN, but soundgarden is a very solid bonus.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #323 on: March 16, 2014, 09:03:03 AM »
Wow, I'll actually get to see Soundgarden and NIN.

It'd be cool if he played La Mer. But I doubt it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2014, 09:15:04 AM »
They just announced a summer tour with Soundgarden.

https://www.facebook.com/ninofficial

I would have just been happy seeing NIN, but soundgarden is a very solid bonus.
HNGGGGGG  :o

That was the sound I made upon reading this and I'm still making it right now.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #325 on: July 31, 2014, 06:02:01 AM »
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:01:04 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: July 31, 2014, 08:13:47 AM »
I'll be going to see Soundgarden/NIN in about 2 weeks!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #327 on: July 31, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »
Saw them recently in Denver and yes, badass show! I heard stuff I wasn't really expecting to, which was cool.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #328 on: July 31, 2014, 10:05:44 AM »
I saw them about 2 months ago, really liked the light show. They played a nice selection of songs, and even though I only own 3 albums by them I knew most songs on the setlist.
However; I'd only slept a few hours the night before, and that was in a tent standing directly in the sun (which means really hot). I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been so tired  ::)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #329 on: July 31, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
Yeah, I don't have any of their recent stuff but did know most of the set, which was nice. It was so cool to hear Eraser!

Not to mention this was at Red Rocks, one of the best fucking venues you can see a show at  :D :metal
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #330 on: August 02, 2014, 06:45:39 AM »
Went to the show last night at Jones Beach...very impressive!  Many artists seem to lose their edge when they clean up; Trent Reznor is clearly not one of them.  I can't imagine being able to bring that level of intensity to songs I'd been performing for 20+ years.

It was also the most interesting stage show I've seen for a rock concert.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #331 on: March 22, 2015, 10:19:09 PM »
I know that NIN's most known album is The Downward Spiral, but what do people think about The Fragile? Personally, I like The Fragile a lot more, but I never see it get a lot of public recognition compared to The Downward Spiral.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: March 22, 2015, 11:12:31 PM »
I know that NIN's most known album is The Downward Spiral, but what do people think about The Fragile? Personally, I like The Fragile a lot more, but I never see it get a lot of public recognition compared to The Downward Spiral.

i've been around the NINternet for a while now (since 2002, fairly actively on forums) and from my experience The Fragile is overwhelmingly the top of the list for the dedicated fanbase. obviously there are serious pockets that put TDS or PHM at the top but i'd say they are fewer in number than TF.

the big difference is the critical reception – response to TF at the time was negative compared to the way TDS made the band explode into the public. over time, that has changed dramatically.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #333 on: March 22, 2015, 11:44:57 PM »
I still have to give it a good listen, its just that it's too much - 2 discs of industrial rock, split into 24 tracks.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #334 on: March 23, 2015, 02:13:25 AM »
The Fragile has always been my favorite. I'd pick it over The Downward Spiral any day. Not that TDS is bad, it's still amazing, but The Fragile is Reznor's finest achievement IMO.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #335 on: March 27, 2015, 01:19:42 PM »

Listened to it recently. Very good album, I do prefer The Downward Spiral, but I admire The Fragile for its creativity.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #336 on: March 30, 2015, 09:34:05 PM »
I like TDS on the whole just a little better. They're very different feeling albums to me but they're both great! There is sooooo much in The Fragile to dig through and with the style I can see that it would be difficult for some to see the complete picture. It's awesome though!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #337 on: March 30, 2015, 10:12:14 PM »
I find The Fragile to be a bit too much music for one sit-through, but overall I like it and "We're In This Together" is one of my favorite songs by the band. It's one of those songs that's so good that it feels much faster than seven minutes long.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: October 07, 2016, 09:41:43 PM »
Still no news of 2016 NIN, but Trent's new song for the Before the Flood film is fucking gorgeous.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2016, 01:00:15 PM »
New NIN EP to be released next friday 12/23, a vinyl only reissue of The Fragile is also coming soon it looks like

https://pitchfork.com/news/67281-nine-inch-nails-announce-new-ep-not-the-actual-events-vinyl-reissue-series/

nin.com is currently down but this is supposedly the tracklist of the EP

Not The Actual Events EP
  • BRANCHES/BONES
  • DEAR WORLD,
  • SHE'S GONE AWAY
  • THE IDEA OF YOU
  • BURNING BRIGHT (FIELD ON FIRE)

Edit: added title of EP.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:37:12 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: December 16, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson: I'M FUCKING HYPED AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH :dangerwillrobinson:

Offline faizoff

« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2016, 09:19:36 AM »
Those who preordered the EP can download the tracks now. I had one listen through the 5 tracks, and first impression is that there is a wide range of styles mixed in here. All very good tracks have to add.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: December 22, 2016, 11:06:38 AM »
I'm listening to it rn, and damn this is some experimental stuff. Digging it.

EDIT: Finished. Oh yeah, this one is great. The last track tho  :o
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 11:35:07 AM by Sacul »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #343 on: December 23, 2016, 02:47:39 PM »
I hated hesitation marks.

This new EP is not bad. Definitely more of the vibe that I dig from them.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #344 on: June 08, 2017, 10:30:55 PM »
So Trent Reznor sent out an email regarding the delayed delivery of the vinyl preorders and casually dropped the news that they are to release a new EP soon before their tour, which as it turns out is part of a trilogy.

I also listened to the new EP recently and like it way more than when I first listened to it.

Here's his email, yes he wrote it in caps.

QUESTION: FINALLY, DID YOU KNOW THERE’S A NEW TOP-SECRET NINE INCH NAILS EP THAT WILL BE RELEASED BEFORE THE FIRST SHOWS WE DO THIS SUMMER?  DID YOU KNOW NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS WAS THE FIRST PART OF A TRILOGY OF RELATED EPS THAT WILL BE RELEASED ABOUT 6-8 MONTHS APART?  NOW YOU DO. MORE INFORMATION ON THIS SHORTLY… 
THANK YOU. TRENT

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #345 on: July 18, 2017, 09:44:30 PM »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: July 18, 2017, 11:07:25 PM »
Both new tracks are excellent.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #347 on: July 19, 2017, 06:23:10 PM »
The EP 'Add Violence' is out and I'm listening to it. Got the 24 bit wav version. The last track 'The Background World' is almost 12 mins long making it NIN's longest song I believe.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: July 19, 2017, 09:34:59 PM »
Listening to it rn, very good stuff. Last track rules  :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #349 on: July 20, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »
I need to listen to it more, but so far I am liking it. Its got the bleepy, bloopy electronic thing going on and I am down. This isn't the place and the backround world are early favorites