Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 43785 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: Nine Inch Nails
« Reply #280 on: August 27, 2013, 03:03:25 AM »
After listening to Akira Yamaoka, Arcade Fire and Boards Of Canada discography, my next step might be NIN so, Downward Spiral and Fragile, here i come  :corn
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline adastra

« Reply #281 on: August 27, 2013, 03:43:36 AM »
After listening to Akira Yamaoka, Arcade Fire and Boards Of Canada discography, my next step might be NIN so, Downward Spiral and Fragile, here i come  :corn

If you like heavy stuff dont forget Broken-EP   .. It ROcks!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #282 on: August 27, 2013, 09:09:30 AM »

Just listened to it today. Happiness in Slavery!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #283 on: August 27, 2013, 02:30:13 PM »

Yeah, i always start listening to the albums that are considered the best, then, if i like, i check the other stuff of course.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #284 on: August 27, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »
New album is pretty sweet.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
Thomas Giles tells me to like it.

Offline adastra

« Reply #286 on: August 27, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »
The second half of Hesitation Marks is amazing!  :3 I like this shit!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »
I thought Came Back Haunted was kind of terrible, so I'm hoping it's one of the weaker songs on the album.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2013, 12:28:49 AM »
I'll wait for my physical copy of a (pun intended) Hesitation Marks CD.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »
Fucking sexy album. Need more time with it though..

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2013, 12:14:48 PM »
"Hesitation Marks was mastered in two different ways - the standard, “loud” mastering (which is what you’ll find on the CD, on iTunes, and everywhere else), and also an alternate “audiophile” mastering, which we’re offering as a free download option for anyone who purchases the album through https://store.nin.com/ . For the majority of people, the standard version will be preferable and differences will be difficult to detect. Audiophiles with high-end equipment and an understanding of the mastering process might prefer the alternate version.

For a detailed explanation with quotes from Alan Moulder and Tom Baker, read our blog post at https://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post/59587808317/hesitation-marks-was-mastered-in-two-different

NOTE: The standard mastered version is in no way inferior to the Audiophile Version - we wouldn’t release something inferior as the default. And vinyl purists rest assured, the vinyl edition was mastered to sound the very best for that format. The Audiophile Version is merely an alternate take on the mastering, which some people will appreciate. It’s meant to give a slightly different experience, not denigrate the standard version. Listen to each and come to your own conclusions."

Having no prior interest in NIN I almost want to buy the album just for this bit of foresight.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #291 on: August 29, 2013, 07:06:20 PM »
I really, really can't imagine you liking them.

In other news, The Downward Spiral is amazing, as is Ghosts. Haven't fully digested the other albums yet, but I'm sure to do so in the future.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: August 29, 2013, 07:09:16 PM »
I love The Fragile.

Don't really enjoy much else.

Some of With Teeth was good as was some of The Slip.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #293 on: August 29, 2013, 07:20:20 PM »
I really love everything NIN I have ever heard from NIN (but I have not been a follower of recent material).

I do think that (even more so than TDS and Fragile) Pretty Hate Machine is one of the most groundbreaking albums ever released.     I mean....when that album was released, you just knew that it was going to be the start of something *very* big.     
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: August 29, 2013, 07:22:18 PM »
I listened to the entirety of The Fragile on a really long walk once and loved it.

Don't really like The Downward Spiral as much.

I liked WIth Teeth and The Slip and wanna check out the new one.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #295 on: August 29, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »
"Hesitation Marks was mastered in two different ways - the standard, “loud” mastering (which is what you’ll find on the CD, on iTunes, and everywhere else), and also an alternate “audiophile” mastering, which we’re offering as a free download option for anyone who purchases the album through https://store.nin.com/ .

Very cool

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2013, 04:58:35 PM »
It's a great idea to release an audiophile version of the album and I was really excited to read about that even though I'm not a fan of NIN.... But it seems to be a huge disappointment. :/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Rb2-F86RW9E&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRb2-F86RW9E%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #297 on: September 04, 2013, 05:16:45 PM »
It's a great idea to release an audiophile version of the album and I was really excited to read about that even though I'm not a fan of NIN.... But it seems to be a huge disappointment. :/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Rb2-F86RW9E&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRb2-F86RW9E%26feature%3Dyoutu.be
I really don't think you should let Youtube indicate that.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #298 on: September 04, 2013, 06:24:43 PM »
While I by no means consider myself an audiophile, I do have a few friends that have spieled me enough to know a little bit about it. That said, I'm impressed how well this album sounds on the standard version. There's clearly many different layers being used and a lot of quiet backing beats that really pop when you listen to the audiophile version, which I just did. It's....a whole different album when played on the respective sound system. My friend has a room that is built completely, solely for listening to music.

A whole room...which is built inside and out to be completely sound-proof inside and out and with speakers on every single wall and corner. It's amazing, and something I would consider a huge waste of money. But for the hour and a half that I was in there, it was an amazing trip and a ride that I'd gladly take again. This album is much, much more than meets the eye. The things that I heard...it...well it aroused me. Greatly. This album is awesome, but listening to it right now on my shitty little speakers, I realize that they really are two different albums. Both the set-up and album have to be completely changed. Still a wonderfully fun album, but the work put into this is borderline Wilson-esque.

Awesome album, my two favorites are still Find My Way and I Would For You, especially in the audiophile version. Two of the easiest songs to groove to that are much more than they seem.

RIP DTP.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #299 on: September 05, 2013, 03:05:05 AM »
Now I've listened to Hesitation Marks twice. I didn't really like it first time, but on another listen with
headphones it began to sound a lot better. I'd say I enjoy it more than Year Zero (which is very good, but a
bit too long, 16 songs are simply too much).

Like every other NIN album, it sounds rather unique. Instead of walls of distortion on The Slip, the songs are
based more on electronic beats and sounds. Live drums are almost completely absent. I'd say it's the most
danceable album since PHM.

On the first time I found lot of things to criticize. First and foremost, Trent has began to use similar song structures. It is a rather new phenomenon, i.e. the songs on With Teeth don't sound pretty much anything else they had done before or similat to each other. On Year Zero, however, the some songs began to resemblance each other (choruses of The Big Come Down and The Beginning of the End, vocal rhythms in verses of The Good Soldier and God Given...). Most of the track on HM remind of me something else they have done before, or I recognize some structure I've heard before, like one different chord per one measure-chorus, and this pattern is repeated four times (All Time Low, Disappointed and Running, previously on The Line Begins to Blur and In This Twilight). Trent should break these musical rules he seem to have set himself. Even though the album sounds quite unique sonically, the songs don't that much. I hear echoes from Year Zero, The Fragile and The Slip, and on some rare occasion from With Teeth and The Downward Spiral. Lyrics aren't what they used to be, there are no masterpieces like Sanctified, Hurt or Somewhat Damaged. I know Trent is happier than ever so I guess he isn't able to write so, ehm, angsty (in a good way) lyrics, but if he's happy, I am too.

But you know what? The album rocks anyway! There are no songs I dislike, and there is still some very fresh sounding tracks, like Copy of A, Find My Way, Disappointed and Running. I think it still has potential to grow, but I don't think it's not going to pass other albums than YZ because of its flaws.

Oh, and NIN survivor is going to begin 13th of September.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:18:18 AM by Ruba »

Offline adastra

« Reply #300 on: September 05, 2013, 11:02:01 PM »
I bought Hesitation Marks LP  and CD ..   That damn LP had the cd insert with it  :-X  Now I have two cd's

Offline Ruba

« Reply #301 on: September 13, 2013, 02:26:34 AM »

Offline abrandnewname

« Reply #302 on: September 26, 2013, 12:01:28 PM »
I'm new here and I decided that I'd put my first post here. I'm a super fan of Nine Inch Nails. They are one of my favorite bands. I'm going to see them live in Pittsburgh on October 8th! The new album "Hesitation Marks" is pretty great but not as good as "The Fragile" in my opinion.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: September 26, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »
I'm new here and I decided that I'd put my first post here. I'm a super fan of Nine Inch Nails. They are one of my favorite bands. I'm going to see them live in Pittsburgh on October 8th! The new album "Hesitation Marks" is pretty great but not as good as "The Fragile" in my opinion.

I wasn't blown away by Hesitation marks. I liked The Slip and With Teeth but The Fragile is by far the best.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #304 on: September 26, 2013, 01:09:16 PM »
Honestly, I haven't heard much of anything from NIN aside from the 'most popular' hits over the years. I really love Hesitation Marks and it's still getting some good play-time (I can't get enough of I Would For You) though, so perhaps I'll delve more into their works. I recall thinking that Terrible Lie was the best thing I'd ever heard when it originally released.

RIP DTP.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #305 on: September 26, 2013, 08:40:47 PM »
Honestly, I haven't heard much of anything from NIN aside from the 'most popular' hits over the years. I really love Hesitation Marks and it's still getting some good play-time (I can't get enough of I Would For You) though, so perhaps I'll delve more into their works. I recall thinking that Terrible Lie was the best thing I'd ever heard when it originally released.
Pretty Hate Machine is the closest in style to Hesitation Marks; dark, synthy and danceable. :)

It's also a great album.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #306 on: September 28, 2013, 05:58:12 AM »
It's not completely sure, whether this rehearsal show took place or not, but God what a setlist! Tonight is the first show Tension 2013 and I'm pretty excited to see, what they're going to play. Please, please.

https://www.ninwiki.com/2013/09/21_Los_Angeles,_CA

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #307 on: September 29, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »
Going to their show tomorrow in KC. I'm not familiar with most of their discography, so I'm listening to the songs from this setlist so I can be familiar with the songs. Hopefully they don't change too much from that one.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #308 on: September 30, 2013, 01:56:09 AM »
Usually they have had some rotation, but probably it will be pretty much the same, sans two-three songs.

Enjoy.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #309 on: February 06, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBC3NXnN8y4

Don't know if this was posted before but it's totally amazing.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #310 on: February 06, 2014, 07:17:29 PM »
"This is a Trent Reznor song"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSXE5np_Tk

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: February 07, 2014, 05:58:49 PM »
The Slip was ok but Hesitation Marks was junk.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #312 on: February 07, 2014, 06:03:42 PM »
Hesitation Marks was great.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #313 on: February 07, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »
The Slip was ok but Hesitation Marks was junk.

This

There was a time when I would have considered NIN to be one of my top 3 favorite bands, but after the release of Hesitation marks, I have lost almost all interest.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #314 on: February 07, 2014, 10:05:05 PM »
Hesitation Marks was great.

I enjoyed Hesitation Marks too. I think its going to be hard for him ever to reproduce the grit from the early years. Many times albums like those are formed in a rare space in an artists life. Who knows though. Still, I liked the newest album pretty well!