Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)  (Read 59526 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)
« Reply #2345 on: February 12, 2024, 11:57:50 PM »
I've never gotten into the whole roulette thing, it doesn't seem to be anything for me at all.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2346 on: February 13, 2024, 01:27:27 AM »
Maybe time to start another countdown? :lol
Sure. How about bottom 25 Dream Theater songs? What's more fun than that?  ;D
We're always looking for fresh blood in the roulettes over on the General Music side of the forum. :corn
I appreciate the invitation and will definitely consider it.  :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2347 on: February 13, 2024, 05:59:32 AM »
I've never gotten into the whole roulette thing, it doesn't seem to be anything for me at all.

It's fun, but it can be stressful. TAC can be unforgiving :lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2348 on: February 13, 2024, 12:19:22 PM »
And thanks also to PG for these stats!

Indeed! Thanks pg1067 for all your stats thrown at us. Really liked it.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2349 on: February 13, 2024, 02:07:13 PM »
I immensely enjoyed all the new music from my back-to-back roulettes, though there were times I wanted to just chill and not write things (though once I got started it was fun).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2350 on: February 13, 2024, 02:28:09 PM »

It's fun, but it can be stressful. TAC can be unforgiving :lol

You've taken some lumps indeed. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2351 on: February 13, 2024, 02:41:31 PM »
I immensely enjoyed all the new music from my back-to-back roulettes, though there were times I wanted to just chill and not write things (though once I got started it was fun).

Me.  I loved the music, then I was all "wait, I have to do something?!?!"

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #2352 on: February 13, 2024, 11:52:09 PM »
For the most part I was very happy with the results of this countdown! Great job everyone! I was originally going to make a 10 Things That Disappointed Me list, but after comparing my 100 choices to the final countdown, I could only come up with 5 legitimate miscarriages of justices worth pointing out.

1. ANNA LEE IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!!!
I did not see this coming. I was extremely confident this beautiful song was going to get the respect it deserves until we had only 25 spots left and then I started to worry. I've always loved it and had it at #21.

2. ASTONISHING STUCK IN THE '90s
It was disappointing that the highest ranked Astonishing song was at #91, but not a surprise because I understand that the Astonishing songs are polarizing and also difficult to rank. However, I feel that songs like Ravenskill (which I had at #39) and Losing Faythe (43) did enough to stand out from the crowded pack, and so I was hoping they would appear as well. A New Beginning should have at least made the top 50--that song is incredible.

3. HOME IN THE TOP FIVE
I like Home a lot but top 5 Dream Theater songs?!  #54 would have been a more suitable placement.

4. FALL INTO THE LIGHT FELL SO FAR
This is one of my favorite songs from the Mangini-era and I was shocked that it didn't do better. It was #20 for me.

5. ANOTHER D/T GRIEVENCE
The mediocre Barstool Warrior gets #51 and the spectacular Out of Reach doesn't even make the Top 100?!  Call it bad luck, call it fate, call it DTF members drinking too much, or not drinking enough, while using the ranker ;)

Thank you very much, ReaperKK, for running this countdown and for doing such a tremendous job. It was exciting to see the results every morning!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 10:17:06 AM by Dittomist »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2353 on: February 14, 2024, 07:28:35 AM »
For the most part I was very happy with the results of this countdown! Great job everyone! I was originally going to make a 10 Things That Disappointed Me list, but after comparing my 100 choices to the final countdown, I could only come up with 5 legitimate miscarriages of justices worth pointing out.

I did not see this coming. I was extremely confident this beautiful song was going to get the respect it deserves until we had only 25 spots left and then I started to worry. I've always loved it and had it at #21.

Agreed.

It was disappointing that the highest ranked Astonishing song was at #91, but not a surprise because I understand that the Astonishing songs are polarizing and also difficult to rank. However, I feel that songs like Ravenskill (which I had at #39) and Losing Faythe (43) did enough to stand out from the crowded pack, and so I was hoping they would appear as well. A New Beginning should have at least made the top 50--that song is incredible.

These were really hard for me; so many moments of "WOW that is a GREAT melody!" but is it a good SONG?  That's where I struggled. 

4. FALL INTO THE LIGHT FELL SO FAR
This is my favorite song from the Mangini-era and I was shocked that it didn't do better. It was #20 for me.

I used often say that was my second or third favorite of the Mangini era, but upon doing my relisten, it just didn't carry the mustard.  I don't know why it is, but it didn't resonate as much as songs like Beneath The Surface, or Bridges In The Sky.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2354 on: February 14, 2024, 07:39:20 AM »

Agreed.

Besides my top 2 songs from DT, Anna Lee is the only other song I know where it would land on the ranking, and that would be last on the list.

This song does absolutely nothing for me, and it is the only DT song I actually dislike. Even the demos, and songs that didn't make an album I can tolerate and enjoy some of it. Anna Lee on the other hand...
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2355 on: February 14, 2024, 08:19:00 AM »
Anna Lee is not really my preferred flavor from DT but it's alright until James starts screaming random vowels during the bridge.

Take Away my Pain (especially the Once in a Livetime version) I always thought was much better. Another Won, A Life Left Behind, and Ravenskill are my picks for most egregious omissions.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2356 on: February 14, 2024, 06:41:07 PM »
TAMP got ruined for me when someone said it sounded like a Disney song.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2357 on: February 14, 2024, 06:42:54 PM »

It's those Lion King drums

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2358 on: February 15, 2024, 05:07:01 AM »

Agreed.

Make it three of us.

These were really hard for me; so many moments of "WOW that is a GREAT melody!" but is it a good SONG?  That's where I struggled. 

This one is spot-on to my Astonishing-feel. I love the album from The Decent of the Nomacs till the Power Down & Astonishing... but ranking them as invidivuals is truly difficult. Ravenskill at #75 was my highest, but also only because of LaBrie's vocals on "Hopeful and innocent, sensing no danger... he sees humanity behind the strangers eyes."
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2359 on: February 15, 2024, 05:16:40 AM »
The run from the beginning of the album until Three Days is basically perfect. Act of Faythe being the weakest link. But otherwise, it's a wild journey.

Not that the rest isn't worthwhile, for example I absolutely agree that Ravenskill is fantastic, but Disc 1 is better than Disc 2, and the first half of Disc 1 is better than the second half.

It's like a movie that starts strong but then meanders on a bit. But all in all I've always appreciated the album, especially my own personal cut where I trimmed some of the "fat". Been ages since I went back to it however, I should do it one day....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2360 on: February 15, 2024, 06:22:18 AM »
That's a weird reason to dislike anything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2361 on: February 15, 2024, 06:40:06 AM »

Nothing can ruin that song for me, save from a horrible cover version.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2362 on: February 15, 2024, 06:54:36 AM »

Whatever your favorite song is, you heard it here first that it sounds like a Disney song.

Honestly if I wrote something that someone said sounded like a Disney song, I'd be over the moon and try to make millions off of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2363 on: February 15, 2024, 08:30:32 AM »
How on earth does Take Away My Pain sound like a Disney song?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2364 on: February 15, 2024, 08:39:16 AM »
It doesn't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online HOF

« Reply #2365 on: February 15, 2024, 08:41:07 AM »
It doesn't.

It doesn’t sound like a Disney song, but it does share a similar vibe as Genesis’s Follow You, Follow Me, which maybe in some people’s minds leads them to think of Phil Collins and Tarzan (though that came after FII).

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2366 on: February 15, 2024, 08:41:42 AM »
I'm trying to picture that song being sung by Ariel in The Little Mermaid. It just doesn't work :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #2367 on: February 15, 2024, 08:45:00 AM »
It’s got kind of an African or maybe Caribbean rhythm to it, and I’m sure some people’s exposure to that sort of thing is largely through Disney, so I get the connection. But I love the direction Shirley took that song. Also recalls something like Peter Gabriel’s In Your Eyes for me.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: February 15, 2024, 08:51:08 AM »
I'm listening to The Astonishing in full for the first time in a while. God I love this album.
Only had 23 songs in the top 100.... should be more

For those coming to DT mainlybfrom the metal side I can undertand notloving this.

But for any prog leaning fan with an open mind there is soo much to lovr. Oh well, your loss!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2369 on: February 15, 2024, 08:53:57 AM »
It’s got kind of an African or maybe Caribbean rhythm to it
It does?

I mean, not to my ears.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2370 on: February 15, 2024, 08:55:27 AM »
It may be also due to the preponderance of major chords leading to a kind of "happy = Disney" superficial interpretation.

Personally, I consider said preponderance of major chords a stroke of songwriting genius, considering the lyrical subject matter.

Online HOF

« Reply #2371 on: February 15, 2024, 08:58:48 AM »
It does?

I mean, not to my ears.

Even MP said that it does (he complained about it!).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2372 on: February 15, 2024, 09:07:32 AM »
It does?

I mean, not to my ears.
Yep. Taken from the FII demos liner notes:
I’ve made no secrets about my absolute dislike of the Kevin Shirley re-arrangement that ended up on FII (I think my quote was that it took some of the most heart-wrenching lyrics written and placed them in the middle of a Disneyland ride in the Caribbean!). The live version on Once In A LIVEtime was a bit of a musical cross between the two.

Also HOF called it regarding the Peter Gabriel vibe, which I know MP commented elsewhere was a direction they were going in with the rearranging of the song.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online HOF

« Reply #2373 on: February 15, 2024, 09:10:06 AM »
It does?

I mean, not to my ears.
I’ve made no secrets about my absolute dislike of the Kevin Shirley re-arrangement that ended up on FII (I think my quote was that it took some of the most heart-wrenching lyrics written and placed them in the middle of a Disneyland ride in the Caribbean!). The live version on Once In A LIVEtime was a bit of a musical cross between the two.

Also HOF called it regarding the Peter Gabriel vibe, which I know MP commented elsewhere was a direction they were going in with the rearranging of the song.

What's funny is I remember MP commenting on the Phil Collins Tarzan soundtrack a few years later, and mentioning how both he and his kids shared a mutual love for Collins because of it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2374 on: February 15, 2024, 09:19:49 AM »
It does?

I mean, not to my ears.

I mean, opinions and all, but MP thinking it sounds like that doesn't mean anything to me.  It still doesn't sound like that to me.

Online HOF

« Reply #2375 on: February 15, 2024, 09:23:42 AM »
It may be also due to the preponderance of major chords leading to a kind of "happy = Disney" superficial interpretation.

Personally, I consider said preponderance of major chords a stroke of songwriting genius, considering the lyrical subject matter.

Agreed. With all due respect to MP (and I do appreciate the raw emotion of the demo too), I think the final product was a more subtle way of dealing with the subject matter that actually makes it a bit more effective. It's more emotionally complex I think than the demo. Particularly when the tone changes/darkens during the guitar solo. It ebbs and flows rather than being all one thing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2376 on: February 15, 2024, 10:34:14 AM »

More than just the rhythm...the whole vibe of the first 50 seconds is very Afro-Caribbean.

I'm trying to picture that song being sung by Ariel in The Little Mermaid. It just doesn't work :lol

Agree, but I can very much imagine Sebastian (the crab) singing it.  The verses have a very "Under the Sea" vibe (IMO).  That's the biggest difference between the demo and the album versions.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2377 on: February 15, 2024, 01:55:49 PM »
That's a weird reason to dislike anything.

I was being hyperbolic but I didn't convey that. I think it's an okay song but when I read that comment over a decade ago, it changed how I thought about it. Especially the verses, it's just very upbeat and rhythmic that feels like a character in a kids movie might sing (from the 90s era at least).

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: February 16, 2024, 02:25:03 AM »
I was a little curious to see some statistics of the most performed DT songs ever, I got this from setlist.fm (don't know the accuracy of it though):

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/dream-theater-bd6a102.html

I was surprised to see 'Lie' in the Top 10, I didn't know it's been played THAT much? And I&W is very over-represented apparently :lol

I've seen them in concert twice (2009 and 2014) and haven't got one single song from that album. What are the odds?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2379 on: February 16, 2024, 03:08:15 AM »
Looking at those statistics, I'm more interested in the least played songs. Repentance was performed once, Disappear twice, You not me three times. That's kind of cool.

Also, The Answer lies within was only performed seven times. For whatever reason, I thought that song was played on the entire Octavarium tour.  :o