Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)  (Read 63992 times)

Offline The Realm

Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#25 - #23 Up!)
« Reply #1715 on: January 30, 2024, 02:06:14 PM »
Illumination Theory - count me as another me as another person who is surprised to see this rank so high. Starts off great and then loses its way. My rank 71. Lowest song left on my list that will make it overall.

Beyond this Life - awesome, epic track. My rank 23.

Bridges in the Sky - lots to love about this song, could have ranked this higher but it ended up at 64.

That update filled a couple of gaps in my list.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 03:24:12 PM by The Realm »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1716 on: January 30, 2024, 02:15:31 PM »
25. Illumination Theory (91st) DREAM THEATER, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, DO MORE STUFF IN THE VEIN OF THE LAST FEW MINUTES OF THIS SONG. SO GOOD.
24. Beyond This Life (88th) I'm a SFAM hater, what can I say? It's an okay song though.
23. Bridges In The Sky (8th) This song could be top 5 but the intro is too long, it's otherwise a stellar song. When JLB sings "crossing bridges in the sky", it's so good.

James I agree, that last little added bit on illumination theory is better than the entire song

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1717 on: January 30, 2024, 02:18:23 PM »
25. Illumination Theory (91st) DREAM THEATER, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, DO MORE STUFF IN THE VEIN OF THE LAST FEW MINUTES OF THIS SONG. SO GOOD.
24. Beyond This Life (88th) I'm a SFAM hater, what can I say? It's an okay song though.
23. Bridges In The Sky (8th) This song could be top 5 but the intro is too long, it's otherwise a stellar song. When JLB sings "crossing bridges in the sky", it's so good.

James I agree, that last little added bit on illumination theory is better than the entire song

I said that exact thing when it came out and I stand by it. DT needs to mellow it out a little.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #1718 on: January 30, 2024, 02:27:00 PM »
25. Illumination Theory - like others, I too am surprised this one ranked as high as it is. It just made it in mine at 95. There are several parts of this song I like, but unfortunately the song as a whole is a rather incohesive mess. I really feel that they were trying to live to previous epics such as ACoS, TCoT etc. but the absence of MP as an arranger is felt here - I feel that had he been in the room when this was being created, he would have made a big contribution in making this one flow better. Songs like Octavarium, ACoS and TCoT really feel like they're taking you on a journey. This one rather awkwardly lurches around from grand-sounding slow sections, to heavy rocking sections, to rather noodly sections and that bit in the middle... it's nice and all, but it just comes out of nowhere and doesn't feel as climatic as I think it's supposed to be (compare to the middle sections of TCoT and View - that do a much better job). And that final lyrical section - god, it's just so cheesy I sort of cringe every time I listen to it. I mean, I like the lyrics - they did help me through a particularly tough time - but they are a bit preachy.

A large part of why this actually made my top 100 is that easter egg at the end. Honestly, I could listen to JP and JR playing that for hours, it would make great background music.

24. Beyond This Life - this made it to my 6. This is an example of a song that really exemplifies everything DT is about. It has heavy sections, melodic sections, very technical playing and a crazy instrumental section containing some of the grooviest riffs they have ever played together. And the Budokan version, oh my god.

23. Bridges In The Sky - 99 for me. Probably my favourite song off ADToE, but that's not a particularly big compliment from me as I don't care much for the album. Great chorus though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (100-98 Up!)
« Reply #1719 on: January 30, 2024, 05:20:10 PM »
I had IT at number 5.  I think it's easily one of the best things they have done.  Surrender, Trust and Passion is close to the most emotional and best thing they've ever done.  I get chills every time I hear James on that whole section.

BTL I had at 60.  Great song although I've always felt it's slightly overrated.

BITS came in at 45.  Probably a bit high for me, but it's an enjoyable ride.

List                                                        Not Ranked         
100                                                    The Gift of Music
99 The Best of Times                          A New Beginning
98 Constant Motion                             New Millenium
97                                                     Sleeping Giant
96 A Fortune in Lies                            Awaken the Master
95 The Alien                                       To Live Forever
94 Our New World                               The Killing Hand
93 This is the Life                                Ytse Jam
92 Disappear                                       The Silent Man
91 Hollow Years                                   Raise the Knife
90 Sacrificed Sons                               Beneath the Surface
89 Only A Matter of Time
88 Vacant
86 Through Her Eyes
84 Stream Of Consciousness
82 Transcending Time
79 Pale Blue Dot
78 Wither
77 Lines in the Sand
75 The Ministry of Lost Souls
74 The Enemy Inside
73 One Last Time
72 Peruvian Skies
71 Forsaken
70 Lost Not Forgotten
67 S2N
66 Fall Into the Light
64 The Looking Glass
63 Panic Attack
61 On the Backs of Angels
60 Beyond This Life
58 Afterlife
57 Caught In A Web
54 The Great Debate
53 A Nightmare to Remember
52 Erotomania
51 Answering the Call
50 The Spirit Carries On
49 Space-Dye Vest
48 The Shattered Fortress
46 As I Am
45 Bridges in the Sky
44 The Dark Eternal Night
42 Never Enough
41 Wait For Sleep
37 The Bigger Picture
36 Outcry
34 Lie
33 The Root of All Evil
32 I Walk Beside You
30 A View From the Top of the World
29 Surrender to Reason
28 Barstool Warrior
27 Another Day
26 Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
25 Endless Sacrifice
24 Innocence Faded
23 Misunderstood
20 Behind the Veil
19 Honor Thy Father
13 These Walls
12 At Wit's End
11 The Mirror
5 Illumination Theory
2 This Dying Soul.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1720 on: January 30, 2024, 06:09:44 PM »
24. Beyond This Life
Highest Finish: 2 (NoFred)

I feel the first half of SFAM is a perfect run of music that works like a single composition. It builds up seamlessly to the amazing Fatal Tragedy, and even now when I listen I think “there’s no way they can keep this up” - then Beyond This Life plays… and it’s just a gigantic song in every respect. And one that’s quintessential Dream Theater (my number one is less so).

I thought I may have upped it a spot from my first DT top 100, but I had it at #2 then too.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1721 on: January 30, 2024, 09:21:08 PM »
EDIT - and the extended LAB version is the #1 DT live track of all time!!

It might be for me as well, and I ranked the studio version at #51. And once I heard them refer to a part of the song as the "Zappa section" I decided I must not like Zappa's music, because that section is awful  :lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1722 on: January 30, 2024, 10:23:54 PM »
Am I right in saying there were 66 lists submitted for the countdown? If so, then only 1 person didn't have Bridges in the Sky on their list which I find pretty amazing.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1723 on: January 30, 2024, 11:03:25 PM »
I had IT at number 5.  I think it's easily one of the best things they have done.  Surrender, Trust and Passion is close to the most emotional and best thing they've ever done.  I get chills every time I hear James on that whole section.

One love Kade.

Am I right in saying there were 66 lists submitted for the countdown? If so, then only 1 person didn't have Bridges in the Sky on their list which I find pretty amazing.

Thou should be ashamed...
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1724 on: January 30, 2024, 11:03:51 PM »
EDIT - and the extended LAB version is the #1 DT live track of all time!!

It might be for me as well, and I ranked the studio version at #51. And once I heard them refer to a part of the song as the "Zappa section" I decided I must not like Zappa's music, because that section is awful  :lol

Repeat after me….every note is absolute perfection!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1725 on: January 31, 2024, 02:58:46 AM »

One love Kade.

Nice one on the highest ranking mate.  It astounds me this isn't considered a fan fav top 10 song truthfully.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1726 on: January 31, 2024, 02:59:04 AM »
Illumination Theory: 19. Grandiose perfectly paced story, the kind bands used to write in the 70's, when progressive meant "mating with classical music with no limits", not just "intricate and technical". 

Beyond This Life: 11. Heavy as balls, jazzy as hell, exciting from the fist to the last note. Untouchable songwriting.

Bridges in the Sky: 17. It would not have felt out of place inside I&W, and I can't imagine a higher praise.

The Score so far:

3 - The Spirit Carries On
4 - Lines in the Sand
7 - Misunderstood
9 - Space-Dye Vest
11 - Beyond This Life
14 - Stream of Consciousness
17 - Bridges in the Sky
19 - Illumination Theory
21 - A New Beginning
23 - Disappear
27 - The Best of Times
28 - Outcry
31 - Erotomania
33 - Surrender to Reason
36 - This Is the Life
38 - Hell's Kitchen
42 - Another Day
43 - One Last Time
45 - Vacant
46 - The Gift of Music
47 - Beneath the Surface
48 - The Silent Man
54 - Peruvian Skies
55 - The Dance of Eternity
56 - The Bigger Picture
61 - Wait for Sleep
65 - Pale Blue Dot
68 - Our New World
69 - Overture 1928
70 - Innocence Faded
71 - Behind the Veil
72 - The Looking Glass
76 - Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
77 - At Wit's End
78 - Lie
79 - Hollow Years
87 - Ytse Jam
88 - The Mirror
89 - Through Her Eyes
90 - Lost Not Forgotten
91 - 6:00
92 - The Killing Hand
93 - Endless Sacrifice
95 - Barstool Warrior
96 - Fall Into the Light
97 - A Fortune in Lies

Not Ranked: 32

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (79-77 Up!)
« Reply #1727 on: January 31, 2024, 03:01:19 AM »
I had AVFTTOTW at number 30.  This surprised me where it ended up but I've been loving this song more and more.  When I started to warm to some of the new album, it was this song I kept coming back to.  It took so long to grow but it's worthy of it's ranking.  I think everything about it is just excellent and I love the twist of the outro, very classy.

wolfking you loving the View-epic, I'm so glad. Often you drop some pretty rough opinions on tracks here and there, but what I really respect is that you keep on going back to tracks, to see if they age well (The Astonishing breakdown for example). And then you're the first to admit it took some time but (in some cases) pieces have grown. That - combined with you being skilled AF yourself on Petrucci's Ibanez - make me read your posts with very much interest.

I keep forgetting to go back to this but thank you so much Wim, I really appreciate your respect and praise.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1728 on: January 31, 2024, 03:14:22 AM »
Looking ahead: If songs 22 and 21 will be from either I&W, SFAM, Six Degrees or Dramatic, it will mean that every album from the first tenure of Mike Portnoy (with the exception of the debut) will have at least a song in the top 20.

Pending major and unpredictable upsets of course, but I'm starting to fear that it's gonna be tough for You Not Me and The Answer from now on.....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #1729 on: January 31, 2024, 03:39:58 AM »
I have a lot more time for YNM than those SFAM ballads! (My 27!).
Also had to revisit ‘Out of Reach’, which seemed to get a lot of hate upthread; I really like it. I wish I could swap it for Room 137, which somehow made my 100 at 35. It’s a turd, to be fair.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#22 - #20 Up!)
« Reply #1730 on: January 31, 2024, 05:56:50 AM »
Great update today!

22. In The Presence Of Enemies
Highest Finish: 1 (Evermind)
Number of Lists appeared on: 60 (Adami, Awaken, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Setlist Scotty, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

The best song off one of the best DT albums. The song works great listening whether you listen to one part of the whole thing.

21. Blind Faith
Highest Finish: 3 (procacultor)
Number of Lists appeared on: 59 (Adami, Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, Wim Kruithof, wolfking)

Depending on the day this is my favorite SDOIT track. I've always wanted to see this song live but I don't think it'll ever happen.

20. Surrounded
Highest Finish: 2 (Zydar)
Number of Lists appeared on: 62 (Adami, Animal, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Stadler, SwedishGoose, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

The weakest track off I&W IMO. I remember when I downloaded I&W from kazaa it was missing this track. A few weeks later I ended up finding it and taking a listen, didn't care for it then, don't really care for it now.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1731 on: January 31, 2024, 06:04:42 AM »
In the presence of enemies was my #13. I was surprised by how high I ranked it, but then again, I do adore it. An underrated epic from one of their underrated albums.

Blind faith was my #85. I'm not too crazy about it, as most songs on Six degrees overshadow it slightly, but it's still a fine prog rock cut, not too heavy.

Surrounded was my #57. Zydar, am I getting it right that you had Surrounded at #2 and Another day at #3? That's an original choice of favorites not only from Images and words, but also from the band in general.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1732 on: January 31, 2024, 06:04:59 AM »
Rank - Song - My rank
22 - In the presence of enemies - 13 - high point of SC for me, love this one
21 - blind faith - 18 - second highest ranked from SDOIT, still have not seen live and really hope they bring it back . . . .
20 - surrounded   - NR - in the same boat as reaperkk, this song has never done anything for me

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1733 on: January 31, 2024, 06:08:56 AM »
22. In The Presence Of Enemies    37

21. Blind Faith                              26

20. Surrounded                             93
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1734 on: January 31, 2024, 06:13:43 AM »
ITPOE ... I had it at 23, so nearly right in aligned with the masses.  It would probably jump 10 spots higher if not for The Reckoning.  That is one of the worst instrumental sections in their library.  Honestly, my 2nd fave DT concert moment was The Slaughter of the Damned.  This was the tour that James finally learned how to be a charismatic frontman.

Blind Faith ... truly glorious.  My fave from 6DOIT.  Not a damned thing I don't love about this song.

Surrounded... 8.  I thought this might've been one I'd have an outside chance of being the highest rater for, but alas.  This song holds a very special place in my heart for very personal reasons in the early stages of my relationship with mrs.jingle (you can connect the dots).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1735 on: January 31, 2024, 06:47:58 AM »
All great tracks this time.

ITPOE: #10: The first couple of minutes of Pt. II have to be one of my favorite moments in DT discography. I remember how fascinated I was at the 4/4 to 9/8 switches.

BF: #7: Great song. Love the progression it has.

Surrounded: #19 This could've easily been a top 15 for me. What a great track and such a fun sounding guitar solo.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1736 on: January 31, 2024, 07:01:52 AM »
Zydar, am I getting it right that you had Surrounded at #2 and Another day at #3? That's an original choice of favorites not only from Images and words, but also from the band in general.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for Images And Words - and those songs in particular just hits the spot for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1737 on: January 31, 2024, 07:08:33 AM »

Great song, not perfect but on this one I can tolerate the cheese factor. the buildup for the dark master part is cool, and so is the "angels fall all for you, heretic" mellow section. While good, I think they could have cut a bit the intro, and after all those minutes, the final solo section before the majestic finale doesn't feel particularly interesting, just another solo spot conjured in LTE mode.

Anyway, all in all great song, it was cool to hear it live! I do not fiiiight for you.... darrrrk masteeeerrrrrr! (but instead I rank you at 43, 21 positions lower)

21. Blind Faith

The song is cool and all, no particular complaints for me, but with so much competition, it never really grabbed me to the point of "wow, timeless masterpiece". So, while liking quite a lot the song anyway, it did not go past 60 for me, 39 positions lower.

20. Surrounded

Masterpiece. Delicate and uplifting like most of Images and Words. DT at their melodic, poetic best. It finished at 33 - mmmh it slipped past me, I should have put it 5-6 positions higher at least. I trusted the ranker 'cause it got my top 3 right, but on this one it dropped the ball.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1738 on: January 31, 2024, 07:12:23 AM »
ITPOE - DNR

I like part 1 pretty well, but nothing could have prepared me for the disappointment of part 2. Like so many other songs on SC, the lyrics (which are usually just “there” for DT) are distractingly terrible. Whenever I listen to this album, I usually end up laughing at something that is supposed to be serious, or I’m just bored. This is their worst epic from their worst album.

Blind Faith - 71

Great song…just 70 songs are better.

Surrounded - 19

Loved it from day one! The time shifting in this one is so much fun! I especially love the “dark to light, light to dark, dark to light” part. This whole song makes me smile uncontrollably from start to finish!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: January 31, 2024, 07:17:33 AM »
In the Presence of Enemies did not rank. Dark Master..... hmmm. Not really what I want in DT but listening to it now it's not that bad it's just that DT have many better songs
Blind Faith did not rank either. Could possibly have ranked in the lower third if I had listened during ranking.
Surrounded ended up at 13th place in my ranking. Another really beautiful song from an album that blew my mind when I first heard it back in the day.

My ranking so far

6 Another Day (38)
7 Space-Dye Vest (30)
8 One Last Time (46)
11 The Dance of Eternity (33)
12 The Spirit Carries On (26)
13 Surrounded (20)
17 The Mirror (27)
19 The Silent Man (66)
20 Illumination Theory (25)
22 6:00 (34)
21 Caught In a Web (51
27 Wait For Sleep (44t)
28 Through Her Eyes  (74)
32 Awaken the Master (81)
33 Sleeping Giant (85)
35 Beyond This Life (24)
37 Our New World (93)
38 Innocence Faded (42)
40 Lifting Shadows Off a Dream (35)
41 A View from the Top of the World (49t)
44 The Great Debate (53)
45 To Live Forever (76)
47 Lie (47t)
48 Erotomania (40)
50 Answering the Call (75)
54 Beneath the Surface (64)
57 Pale Blue Dot (62)
59 Transcending Time (90)
63 Bridges In the Sky (23)
64 Sacrificed Sons (63)
65 The Looking Glass (92)
66 Hollow Years (59)
61 At Wit's End ( 37)
62 Stream of Consciousness  (39)
73 As I Am (43)
74 The Root of All Evil(36)
75 The Alien (69)
77 A Nightmare To Remember (49t)
78 Misunderstood (31)
81 Behind the Veil (89)
86 Peruvian Skies (44t)
87 Surrender To Reason (83)
88 Ytse Jam (67)
89 Forsaken (95)
91. The Gift of Music (98)
94. Never Enough (100)
96 Endless Sacrifice (29)
99 These Walls (54)
100 Honor Thy Father (71)

Highest ranker of
8 One Last Time (46)

Not rated
Wither (99), Vacant (97), Afterlife (96), S2N (94), A New Beginning (91), This is the Life (88), New Millennium (87), Constant Motion (86), The Enemy Inside (84), Only a Matter of Time (82), I Walk Beside You (80), The Shattered Fortress (79), A Fortune In Lies (78), The Best Of Times (78), Lost Not Forgotten (73), Fall Into the Light (72), The Dark Eternal Night (70), The Killing Hand (68), Raise The Knife (65), The Ministry of Lost Souls (61), The Bigger Picture (60), Outcry (58),  Hell's Kitchen (57), On The Backs Of Angels (56), Panic Attack (55), Barstool Warrior (52), This Dying Soul (47t), Disappear (41), Overture 1928 (32), Lines In The Sand (28), In the Presence of Enemies (22),  Blind Faith (21)

Rated: 46
Not rated: 32

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1740 on: January 31, 2024, 07:19:11 AM »
ITPOE - DNR

I like part 1 pretty well, but nothing could have prepared me for the disappointment of part 2. Like so many other songs on SC, the lyrics (which are usually just “there” for DT) are distractingly terrible. Whenever I listen to this album, I usually end up laughing at something that is supposed to be serious, or I’m just bored. This is their worst epic from their worst album.

Blind Faith - 71

Great song…just 70 songs are better.

Surrounded - 19

Loved it from day one! The time shifting in this one is so much fun! I especially love the “dark to light, light to dark, dark to light” part. This whole song makes me smile uncontrollably from start to finish!

Agree with all here.... especially the bolded

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #1741 on: January 31, 2024, 07:34:01 AM »

#72 for me. Feels fair, but boy is this song FUN. The other day I heard parts 1 and 2 in sequence for the first time in a long time in my car (skipping from track 1 to track 8 was only a little bit awkward), like they played it live (and reflecting the track's inclusion in this here ranking), very, very cool. So headbang-y!

21. Blind Faith

Boy do I feel naked now, my top 3 tracks have all been revealed! And I was the highest ranker in each of those, apparently (ooh isn't he a special kid). I guess part of what relaxed me in terms of going to see DT live for a while was "man, I've seen most of my favorite tracks live, I'm alright". (they played Blind Faith in '08, 6:00 and ______ in '12 and SDV in '14, so all I'm missing from my top 5 is CIAW). About the track proper... I'm a sucker for how JP used that baritone guitar for texture. James is on point. JM, JR and MP are all at the top of their powers... I get lost for words. A huge favorite.

20. Surrounded

#76 for me. I used to think I didn't like it, but I was so wrong. Beautiful.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1742 on: January 31, 2024, 07:56:17 AM »
Zydar, am I getting it right that you had Surrounded at #2 and Another day at #3? That's an original choice of favorites not only from Images and words, but also from the band in general.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for Images And Words - and those songs in particular just hits the spot for me.
Kudos, man, I love seeing an interesting take on favorite songs.  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1743 on: January 31, 2024, 08:22:34 AM »
157. The Dark Eternal Night
155. Hell's Kitchen
154. S2N
150. The Killing Hand
146. Disappear
145. Vacant
143. Honor Thy Father
142. Ytsejam
139. Panic Attack
138. Wither
135. Only A Matter Of Time
132. Barstool Warrior
127. Lines In The Sand
125. Stream Of Consciousness
124. Through Her Eyes
123. Never Enough
122. The Alien
121. Afterlife
120. A Fortune In Lies
118. In The Presence Of Enemies
109. Outcry
105. Sleeping Giant
104. Surrender To Reason

----
100.Slight chance of making the list at this point
99.  No chance of making the list at this point
98.  Another Day
97.  Awaken The Master
96.  Behind The Veil
95.  The Great Debate
94.  No chance of making the list at this point
93.  No chance of making the list at this point
92.  No chance of making the list at this point
91.  Slight chance of making the list at this point
90.  On The Backs Of Angels
89.  No chance of making the list at this point
88.  No chance of making the list at this point
87.  Slight chance of making the list at this point
86.  No chance of making the list at this point
85.  Constant Motion
84.  Beneath The Surface
83.  At Wit's End
82.  Peruvian Skies
81.  Space Dye Vest
80.  The Enemy Inside
79.  Strong chance of making the list at this point
78.  Hollow Years
77.  Slight chance of making the list at this point
76.  The Shattered Fortress
75.  No chance of making the list at this point
74.  No chance of making the list at this point
73.  Lie
72.  No chance of making the list at this point
71.  No chance of making the list at this point
70.  No chance of making the list at this point
69.  The Mirror
68.  A Nightmare To Remember
67.  The Silent Man
66.  The Root Of All Evil
65.  The Spirit Carries On
64.  No chance of making the list at this point
63.  No chance of making the list at this point
62.  As I Am
61.  These Walls
60.  No chance of making the list at this point
59.  The Gift of Music
58.  Illumination Theory
57.  The Bigger Picture
56.  One Last Time
55.  Pale Blue Dot
54.  Answering The Call
53.  Strong chance of making the list
52.  Lost Not Forgotten
51.  Fall Into The Light
50.  Slight chance of making the list at this point
49.  No chance of making the list at this point
48.  Endless Sacrifice
47.  No chance of making the list at this point
46.  A New Beginning
45.  No chance of making the list at this point
44.  Forsaken
43.  A View From The Top Of The World
42.  Slight chance of making the list at this point
41.  The Looking Glass
40.  The Ministry Of Lost Souls
39.  No chance of making the list at this point
38.  The Dance Of Eternity
37.  Beyond This Life
36.  New Millenium
35.  Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
34.  Wait For Sleep
33.  Transcending Time
32.  Blind Faith Slight chance of making the list at this point
31.  The Best Of Times
30.  Erotomania
29.  Strong chance of making the list
28.  Our New World
27.  Strong chance of making the list
26.  Bridges In The Sky
25.  Raise The Knife
24.  6:00
23.  I Walk Beside You
22.  No chance of making the list at this point
21.  Sacrificed Sons
20.  Lock to make the list
19.  Caught In A Web
18.  No chance of making the list at this point
17.  Lock to make the list
16.  Lock to make the list
15.  Lock to make the list
14.  To Live Forever
13.  Lock to make the list
12.  Strong chance of making the list
11.  Surrounded Lock to make the list
10.  Lock to make the list
9.    Innocence Faded
8.    Lock to make the list
7.    This Dying Soul
6.    Misunderstood
5.    This Is The Life
4.    Overture 1928
3.    Lock to make the list
2.    Strong chance of making the list
1.    No chance of making the list at this point

I didn't see Blind Faith being a lock here; I love that song so I'm glad it's here. Surrounded is just... I love every permutation of that song.  The album version, the live version, the EXTENDED live version (I love the Chaos In Motion arrangement, with the solo and the interpolations).   

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1744 on: January 31, 2024, 08:26:08 AM »
Never say never, but by now I'd be absolutely surprised that the remaining 19 songs aren't those pg1067 and I identified with our small font count.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#40 - #38 Up!)
« Reply #1745 on: January 31, 2024, 08:31:11 AM »

Highest Finish: 1 (Evermind)
Number of Lists appeared on: 60 (Adami, Awaken, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Setlist Scotty, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

21. Blind Faith
Highest Finish: 3 (procacultor)
Number of Lists appeared on: 59 (Adami, Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, Wim Kruithof, wolfking)

20. Surrounded
Highest Finish: 2 (Zydar)
Number of Lists appeared on: 62 (Adami, Animal, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Stadler, SwedishGoose, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

I had In The Presence Of Enemies at #36.
Even with the goofy lyrics, this song kicks ass. Has the DT cliche'd quiet middle part, but it's a part that kicks so much ass.

I had Blind Faith at #47.
It's weird, as it still made my Top 50, but I feel I still underrate this song.

I had Surrounded at #25.
Just a wonderful track. Always delivers.

List                                                    Not Ranked         
100                                                      Wither
99                                                        Vacant
98  6:00                                               Our New World
97                                                        The Looking Glass
96  The Root Of All Evil                          Transcending Time
95  Lie                                                  Behind The Veil
94                                                        New Millenium   
93  Caught In A Web                              Constant Motion
92                                                        The Shattered Fortress
91                                                        To Live Forever
90  Forsaken                                         Answering The Call
89                                                        Honor Thy Father
88                                                        The Silent Man
87                                                        Hell's Kitchen
86  Zydar                                              The Great Debate
85  Pale Blue Dot                                   As I Am
84                                                        Misunderstood
83                                                        The Mirror
80  Awaken The Master
79  On The Backs Of Angels
78  Stream Of Consciousness
77  A Nightmare To Remember
76  S2N
75  These Walls
74  Afterlife
73  This Is The Life
72  Beyond This Life
70  One Last Time
69  Surrender Of Reason
65  Sacrificed Sons
64  Beneath The Surface
63  Through Her Eyes
62  The Bigger Picture
61  I Walk Beside You
60  Never Enough
59  A New Beginning
58  Wait For Sleep
57  Illumination Theory
56  The Spirit Carries On
54  Barstool Warrior
51  Erotomania
48  Bridges In The Sky
47  Blind Faith
45  Overture 1928
44  Panic Attack
43  Innocence Faded
42  The Ministry Of Lost Souls
41  Sleeping Giant
39  A View From The Top Of The World
38  At Wits End
37  Fall Into The Light
36  In The Presence Of Enemies
35  The Gift Of Music
34  The Dance Of Eternity
33  Peruvian Skies
32  Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
31  Ytse Jam
28  The Enemy Inside
26  Only A Matter Of Time
25  Surrounded
24  Raise The Knife
23  Hollow Years
22  The Dark Eternal Night
21  Outcry
20  This Dying Soul
18  A Fortune In Lies
16  The Alien
14  The Best Of Times
13  Endless Sacrifice
11  Lost Not Forgotten.
8  Lines In The Sand
7  Disappear
5  Space Dye Vest
4  The Killing Hand

63-18
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Animal

« Reply #1746 on: January 31, 2024, 08:37:20 AM »
Never say never, but by now I'd be absolutely surprised that the remaining 19 songs aren't those pg1067 and I identified with our small font count.

Looking at the list in retrospect, the last song I hadn't been absolutely confident would make make the list was These Walls at 54. I know, I know, anyone is a great predictor in retrospect...

Offline Animal

« Reply #1747 on: January 31, 2024, 08:53:46 AM »
Illumination Theory 55 This got a lot better upon the coundown-related DT listening binge. And it's one of theose songs that I kept coming back to after the submission period was over. And it got better with every single listen. If I were ranking it now, it would certainly break Top 20. I lactually like the full orchestra part, reminds me of some of my favorite composers.

Beyond this Life 48 It was always a bit of an underdog on the might Sceness, but it fully justifies its runtime on that amazing album.

Bridges in the Sky 34  One of the iconic MM era songs.

In the Presence of Enemies  NR I like the Sherlock-like guitar parts in the Pt 1 but barely remember the rest.

Blind Faith 46
  A song that, to my ear, is a good evidence that Indiscipline's DT compass is essentially correct (although I had the Mirror at 4 so what do I know...)

Surrounded  49   A great song, unlike any other in DT catalog. I just, like the rest of Images and Words, like it a bit less than is the general consensus, probably because I am not too fond of KM¨s keyboard sounds on that album.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1748 on: January 31, 2024, 09:08:15 AM »
Blind Faith is hands down my favorite thing on SDOIT, and maybe the last really great DT song for me. Love the atmosphere on the intro, and the build up through the verse to the chorus. Unique solo from JP, with a great instrumental section that finishes with that awesome unison run. Great vocal from James. MP is on fire. Whole band is locked in on this one.

Surrounded is possibly the song that has held up the best for me from I&W. I’m almost always up for hearing it. Just a bright, joyful track once it gets going. Love the “Heaven must be more than this” section so much. Proggy over metal, but still has that really shreddy solo. Love it.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1749 on: January 31, 2024, 09:41:31 AM »
22.   In The Presence Of Enemies (#100) Pt1 I would list at #50.  The DC show in '08 opened with 'Ant Odyssey' followed by this ( not 'Constant Motion' as on CiM).  What a great 1-2 opening punch!  Pt2 is not my cup of DT lyrical tea, so I compromised on my ranking.  I gave that a listen today for the first time in over a decade, and nothing has changed.  My SC ends with ‘Ministry of Lost Souls’. 

21.   Blind Faith (#49) fits like a glove on Six Degrees.

20.   Surrounded (#12) Kev’s not here to mention the synth copying the beginning of Queen’s ‘Father To Son’, so I will, since that has stuck with me ever since (in a good way).  The ‘dark to light, light to dark’ segment has already been mentioned. :tup

59/81 ***
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 11:11:46 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!