Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)  (Read 66387 times)

Offline Animal

Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#28 - #26 Up!)
« Reply #1680 on: January 30, 2024, 01:59:57 AM »

Space-Dye Vest is a nice song.  I enjoy it, but I don't go out of my way to listen to it. I do NOT get the LOVE that this song seems to generate; the cult of Kevin Moore is strong.  I had it at #63.  It finished at #21 last time.

I disagree. "Moore's cult" is strong because of all the love SDV gets, not the other way around. I loved the song long before I knew it had anything to do with Kevin Moore. And I guess I am not the only one who really likes Wait for Sleep of SDV but doesn't really care for Moore's personality. I believe that his signature songs work so well within the band catalog because of how different they are... but I probably wouldn't want to listen to a whole albums of songs like SDV.

Offline Animal

« Reply #1681 on: January 30, 2024, 02:12:21 AM »
Lines in the Sand - 90

The Mirror - 11

Amazing song! Too bad they stuck Lie in the middle. I prefer the 8 1/2 minute LSFNY version. This and probably Glass Prison are the greatest heavy riffs DT has ever written.

I didn't know there was such a version until quite recently (I had LSFNY DVD, but not the CD). And like you, I really don't like how the moody atmospheric section is interrupted by Lie, rather than coming to its natural musical conclusion. Sadly, we don't have a perfect version. The LSFNY one is a great performance but still, IMO, a bit spoiled by Jordan's soloing. And James can't quite match the intensity of his studio vocals.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1682 on: January 30, 2024, 02:34:42 AM »
In that song Portnoy's backing vocals were excellent. I love how he added grit and personality to the spoken lines.

HYPOCRITE!!!!

rrrrrreEEESISTANCE!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#25 - #23 Up!)
« Reply #1683 on: January 30, 2024, 05:17:37 AM »
Update!

25. Illumination Theory
Highest Finish: 4 (Wim Kruithof)
Number of Lists appeared on: 62 (Adami, Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, NoFred, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, SwedishGoose, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

A little surprised this placed so high. I like IT but I thought it would place more towards the middle of the list.

24. Beyond This Life
Highest Finish: 2 (NoFred)
Number of Lists appeared on: 64 (Adami, Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, SwedishGoose, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

Another fantastic pick from Scenes.

23. Bridges In The Sky
Highest Finish: 5 (nobloodyname)
Number of Lists appeared on: 65 (Adami, Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, OpenYourEyes311, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, SwedishGoose, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

Similar to Illumination Theory, I'm a bit surprised this placed as high as it did. It's a great song though.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1684 on: January 30, 2024, 05:29:27 AM »
I am genuinely surprised Illumination Theory has made the top 100 :lol

Oooh, I didn't think I'd be the highest ranker for anything but I am, and with a Mangini era tune, too! I love Bridges in the Sky. As a drunken singalong song, it is utterly perfect.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1685 on: January 30, 2024, 05:37:56 AM »
25. Illumination Theory

Suprised as well to see it so high, overall I like it, but I feel it's a bit disjointed. Fantastic finale though. Did not go further than 84 for me, a record -59 negative delta (out of the ones I actually put in the top 100), beating Lines in the Sand which had a -53 difference.

24. Beyond This Life

Masterpiece. Entered my top 20 at 16, 8 positions higher.

23. Bridges In The Sky

Fantastic song from Dramatic, I still think this should have been called The Shaman's Trance and the album Bridges in the Sky, however it's such a cool song with a bombastic chorus. On this topic: know how great it is when from the "Sun, come shine my way" moment appears that glorious part "And at last the time has come"...? this is what has been sorely missing on Distance Over Time, most of the choruses feel like bridges at best. This one is perfect.

Finished at 27 for me, just 4 positions lower.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1686 on: January 30, 2024, 05:49:13 AM »
Yes, those lines in Bridges in the Sky are just wonderful to sing along to... and very, very loudly, too.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1687 on: January 30, 2024, 05:58:01 AM »

Oooh, I didn't think I'd be the highest ranker for anything but I am, and with a Mangini era tune, too! I love Bridges in the Sky. As a drunken singalong song, it is utterly perfect.

You and me both! I 'liked' it at the time, but the song has aged about as well as highschool yearbook photos!

That said, "Bridges in the Sky" is a top-10 banger for me...similar to "Home" in that it manages to put everything I LOVE about Dream Theater into a single song.

« Reply #1688 on: January 30, 2024, 06:16:06 AM »

There's one song left on my prediction list I'd be surprised making the top 25, but I have no idea what other song could replace it.
...and there it is, right on 25

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: January 30, 2024, 06:19:25 AM »
25. Illumination Theory    20 for me. Love the energy of the riffs and the middle section is sublime. Tchaikovsky would approve.

24. Beyond This Life        32 on my list. I actually love this tune more that the score would indicate.

23. Bridges In The Sky    43. Enjoyable, technical and soaring. Lots to love here. Mrs. P calls it the belching song.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1690 on: January 30, 2024, 06:19:49 AM »
Illumination Theory... 90.  the lowest ranking song left on my list. By far the least best of the 'epics' (at least until AVFTTOTW came along).  For my ears, there is very little cohesion to this song.

Beyond this Life ... 87 - the second lowest ranking song left on my list.  Just never did much for me.  It sounds sititched together from at least 5 or 6 different ideas.

Bridges in the Sky ... 26.  Lots of great moments spread throughout this tune.  Starting with that opening riff.  Great way to open the ADTOE shows.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1691 on: January 30, 2024, 06:21:02 AM »
Rank - song - my rank
25 - Illumination theory - 36 - my love for this one has definitely waned a bit, highlight was seeing it live in Boston and now the BTFW version is the only one I listen to
24 - Beyond this life - 33 - as w most of scenes, loved this one from 1st listen
23 - Bridges in the sky - 42 - 'metal dt' highlight from the album, and a fantastic set opener

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1692 on: January 30, 2024, 06:22:35 AM »
157. The Dark Eternal Night
155. Hell's Kitchen
154. S2N
150. The Killing Hand
146. Disappear
145. Vacant
143. Honor Thy Father
142. Ytsejam
139. Panic Attack
138. Wither
135. Only A Matter Of Time
132. Barstool Warrior
127. Lines In The Sand
125. Stream Of Consciousness
124. Through Her Eyes
123. Never Enough
122. The Alien
121. Afterlife
120. A Fortune In Lies
109. Outcry
105. Sleeping Giant
104. Surrender To Reason

----
100.Slight chance of making the list at this point
99.  No chance of making the list at this point
98.  Another Day
97.  Awaken The Master
96.  Behind The Veil
95.  The Great Debate
94.  No chance of making the list at this point
93.  No chance of making the list at this point
92.  No chance of making the list at this point
91.  Slight chance of making the list at this point
90.  On The Backs Of Angels
89.  No chance of making the list at this point
88.  No chance of making the list at this point
87.  Slight chance of making the list at this point
86.  No chance of making the list at this point
85.  Constant Motion
84.  Beneath The Surface
83.  At Wit's End
82.  Peruvian Skies
81.  Space Dye Vest
80.  The Enemy Inside
79.  Strong chance of making the list at this point
78.  Hollow Years
77.  Slight chance of making the list at this point
76.  The Shattered Fortress
75.  No chance of making the list at this point
74.  No chance of making the list at this point
73.  Lie
72.  No chance of making the list at this point
71.  No chance of making the list at this point
70.  No chance of making the list at this point
69.  The Mirror
68.  A Nightmare To Remember
67.  The Silent Man
66.  The Root Of All Evil
65.  The Spirit Carries On
64.  No chance of making the list at this point
63.  No chance of making the list at this point
62.  As I Am
61.  These Walls
60.  No chance of making the list at this point
59.  The Gift of Music
58.  Illumination Theory Slight chance of making the list at this point
57.  The Bigger Picture
56.  One Last Time
55.  Pale Blue Dot
54.  Answering The Call
53.  Strong chance of making the list
52.  Lost Not Forgotten
51.  Fall Into The Light
50.  Slight chance of making the list at this point
49.  No chance of making the list at this point
48.  Endless Sacrifice
47.  No chance of making the list at this point
46.  A New Beginning
45.  No chance of making the list at this point
44.  Forsaken
43.  A View From The Top Of The World
42.  Slight chance of making the list at this point
41.  The Looking Glass
40.  The Ministry Of Lost Souls
39.  No chance of making the list at this point
38.  The Dance Of Eternity
37.  Beyond This Life Slight chance of making the list at this point
36.  New Millenium
35.  Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
34.  Wait For Sleep
33.  Transcending Time
32.  Slight chance of making the list at this point
31.  The Best Of Times
30.  Erotomania
29.  Strong chance of making the list
28.  Our New World
27.  Strong chance of making the list
26.  Bridges In The Sky Strong chance of making the list
25.  Raise The Knife
24.  6:00
23.  I Walk Beside You
22.  No chance of making the list at this point
21.  Sacrificed Sons
20.  Lock to make the list
19.  Caught In A Web
18.  No chance of making the list at this point
17.  Lock to make the list
16.  Lock to make the list
15.  Lock to make the list
14.  To Live Forever
13.  Lock to make the list
12.  Strong chance of making the list
11.  Lock to make the list
10.  Lock to make the list
9.    Innocence Faded
8.    Lock to make the list
7.    This Dying Soul
6.    Misunderstood
5.    This Is The Life
4.    Overture 1928
3.    Lock to make the list
2.    Strong chance of making the list
1.    No chance of making the list at this point

Bridges In The Sky benefitted greatly from being right behind the best song of the Mangini era, so I would continue to hear it pretty often.  The intro isn't great, but the song builds from there so well and is, for me, a classic.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 08:18:57 AM by Stadler »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1693 on: January 30, 2024, 06:35:38 AM »
Illumination Theory- I was right in line, #27 on my list. I'm pleasantly surprised it placed this high, I often feel like it gets overlooked among the DT epics. I can see why some might not like the orchestral section, but I love it. The section afterwards particularly rips, especially the BtFW version with James going all out :metal

Beyond This Life- I was just low on this, #37. This is the song that first grabbed my attention and helped me fall in love with Scenes. It's since been surpassed by other songs on that album, but it will always hold a special place for me. The Live at Budokan version Zappa jams are pretty neat too.

Bridges in the Sky- Another near bullseye, #24 on my list. Probably my second favorite song off ADToE. The intro is definitely a little bit odd, but gives the song something unique within the DT catalog. Once the riffs kick in though, buckle up. A great Mangini performance on this one as well.
Photobucket sucks.

Online porcacultor

« Reply #1694 on: January 30, 2024, 06:36:08 AM »
I had a feeling some of these late period songs would show up in high places!

25. Illumination Theory

#73 for me. Great epic. I'm glad the track with the EASTER EGG ranked this high. What up, Easter Egg Gang!

24. Beyond This Life

#32 for me. Hell yeah. Fun stuff.

23. Bridges In The Sky

#64 for me. My favorite ADTOE track and the one I was most excited to see live in 2012. Like the boss MirrorMask said, FANTASTIC chorus!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1695 on: January 30, 2024, 06:39:40 AM »
25 Illumination Theory - My highest ranked song thus far, at # 8.  The composition is fantastic, and one of the best marriages of lyrics + music in their entire body of work, and that middle ambient section either works for you or it doesn't.  For me, it absolutely does.  Just a wonderful, wonderful song.

24 Beyond This Life - Pretty close to the consensus here, I had it at # 29.  Really tasty stuff.

23 Bridges In The Sky - I had it at # 58.  I actually feel like I like it better than that lol.  I would guess that it lost points for me with that long intro.  Once the song proper kicks in, it's balls to the wall awesome.

I understand not liking a song, but this seems a little ridiculous to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1696 on: January 30, 2024, 06:46:33 AM »
nah IT is a bottom tier track for me as well

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1697 on: January 30, 2024, 07:00:54 AM »
Yeah, I get the bolded part.  But being surprised that ANYONE would like it is ridiculous.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: January 30, 2024, 07:12:34 AM »
Yeah, I get the bolded part.  But being surprised that ANYONE would like it is ridiculous.

Of course it is ;)

Welcome to the forum!
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1699 on: January 30, 2024, 07:13:26 AM »
We're close to the end, so no point in being all coy.

The song that I assumed might have been there somehow, and how it's blatantly clear it won't, is Far from Heaven. I'm surprised it did not make enough lists to not even break the top 100.

There's another song that just has to be there, and I'm surprised it's so high, possibly in the top 20 with all the competition around.

Anyway, more generally, I think we can be 99% sure of what the remaining 22 songs will be...

About this, nuggets: 0, 6, 2, 1, 1, 4, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 07:21:53 AM by MirrorMask »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1700 on: January 30, 2024, 07:14:48 AM »
Illumination theory was my #43. Not a top tier epic, but still a great song in its own right.

Beyond this life was my #6. My favorite song on the album, every second of it is perfect. What a masterpiece.

Bridges in the sky was my #19. It was the only song from the Mangini era to crack my top twenty. It's also great to see two Mangini era songs are already in the top 25, and I'm sure there's at least one more to come.

Oh, I also can't wait for the reveal on what Stadler's number one is.  ;D

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #1701 on: January 30, 2024, 07:34:16 AM »
Illumination Theory - 51
Beyond this Life - 68
Bridges in the Sky - 98

Online HOF

« Reply #1702 on: January 30, 2024, 07:42:57 AM »
Beyond The Life is great. There are parts of the narration in the verses that I find a bit awkward (and I’ve never liked the bits where Mike is just going “snare snare snare snare snare snare” really fast), but the chorus is excellent, and the instrumental bits are great.

Have heard but can’t really comment on the other two.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1703 on: January 30, 2024, 09:24:53 AM »
25. Illumination Theory

24. Beyond This Life

23. Bridges In The Sky

IMO, Illumination Theory is the last truly GREAT song DT has released.  Great intro and build.  A couple of frenetic instrumental sections, a perfectly timed "rest" section, and a satisfying release.  Structurally, it reminds me a lot of Close to the Edge.  I had it at #13, and it came in at #23 in the prior countdown, so holding steady.  Also, this is pretty obviously the last song we'll see from DT12.

Beyond This Life was really the only song on SFAM that I didn't like initially.  The thrashy part turned me off a bit.  I've always loved the instrumental section - especially the JM riff in 17/8.  I had it at #24 (so...nailed it!), and it came in at #30 in the prior countdown.

Bridges in the Sky is another killer track, and it's even better live.  My #2 ADTOE song (after the one that's still to be revealed) and my #30 overall.  It dropped a bit from it's #16 finish in the prior countdown.

List                                                    Not Ranked         
100  This Dying Soul (47T)                  Never Enough (100), The Gift of Music (98), Our New World (93), A New Beginning (91), New Millennium (87), Sleeping Giant (85), Awaken the Master (81), The Best of Times (77), To Live Forever (75T)
99  I Walk Beside You (80)                  Answering the Call (75T), Lost Not Forgotten (73), Fall into the Light (72), Honor Thy Father (71), Raise the Knife (65), The Great Debate (53), Peruvian Skies (44T), Disappear (41), The Mirror (27)
97  This Is the Life (88)
93  Lines in the Sand (28)
92  The Ministry of Lost Souls (61)
88  Another Day (38)
87  Innocence Faded (42)
86  Lie (47T)
84  Forsaken (95)
82  Erotomania (40)
81  The Spirit Carries On (26)
79  Vacant (97)
78  Wait for Sleep (44T)
77  The Silent Man (66)
75  A Fortune in Lies (78)
73  A Nightmare to Remember (50)
71  These Walls (54)
69  At Wit's End (37)
68  The Shattered Fortress (79)
67  The Dark Eternal Night (70)
66  Pale Blue Dot (62)
65  Transcending Time (90)
63  Space-Dye Vest (30)
61  Beneath the Surface (64)
60  Hell's Kitchen (57)
59  Afterlife (96)
57  Surrender to Reason (83T)
55  The Alien (69)
54  The Root of All Evil (36)
53  The Bigger Picture (60)
49  As I Am (43)
48  A View from the Top of the World (49)
47  Lifting Shadows off a Dream (35)
46  Behind the Veil (89)
44  On the Backs of Angels (56)
43  Ytse Jam (67)
42  One Last Time (46)
41  Through Her Eyes (74)
40  The Dance of Eternity (33)
39  The Enemy Inside (83T)
38  Hollow Years (59)
36  Caught in a Web (51)
35  Barstool Warrior (52)
34  Endless Sacrifice (29)
33  Outcry (58)
32  6:00 (34)
31  The Looking Glass (92)
30  Bridges in the Sky (23)
29  Misunderstood (31)
28  S2N (94)
27  Wither (99)
25  Overture 1928 (32)
24  Beyond This Life (24)
19  Sacrificed Sons (63)
18  Constant Motion (86) (high ranker)
17  Only a Matter of Time (82)
15  The Killing Hand (68)
14  Panic Attack (55)
13  Illumination Theory (25)
11  Stream of Consciousness (39)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1704 on: January 30, 2024, 09:29:58 AM »
31.   Misunderstood (#10) for a couple of personal reasons.  And, in ’08, loved the simple lighting effects after the first chorus.  Stage bathed in light blue….and then the crashing lights right after ‘God save me!’  My first DT album, so it was my first jump out of my chair, ‘is that Brian May’ DT moment!  I’ve mentioned before that I give the ending The Beatles ‘I Want You’ treatment to it, and simply chop off the song at 8:08.

30.   Space-Dye Vest (NR)  beautiful and moody, but the samples ruin it for me. What can I say?

29.   Endless Sacrifice (#90) can’t help being misophonic, so that one guitar note throughout gets me.  Respect for most of the rest of it.

28.   Lines In The Sand (NR) *  oops, should have had this in the 80s.  Not crazy about the guest vox

27.   The Mirror (NR)

26.   The Spirit Carries On (#1) Pleased that a couple of others feel the same way.  I didn't own SFAM until just before I purchased 'Score'.  That version elevates this to #1 for both me and Mrs. DA. (to make it personal, we change 'Victoria is real' to 'Victory is real...')

The Spirit Carries On: 3. It is to SFAM exactly what Comfortably Numb is to The Wall. My wife has three instructions for the day I croak: the guitars to my second nephew, the cars to the first one, this song played by my orchestra in my town's theatre.

Nice!  :tup  Along with 'Bohemian Rhapsody', this will be played at our memorial services. 

25.   Illumination Theory (#78) a tad long and so uneven, yet that's part of its charm.  My cohost for preshows has this as his #1, gets all fired up and somewhat misty eyed when talking about his love for it.
24.   Beyond This Life (#46) balls to the walls and moody as well
23.   Bridges In The Sky (#23) great concert opener.  Eleven minutes that seem to fly by in about three.

56/78 ***
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 10:45:31 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1705 on: January 30, 2024, 09:42:28 AM »
We're close to the end, so no point in being all coy.

The song that I assumed might have been there somehow, and how it's blatantly clear it won't, is Far from Heaven. I'm surprised it did not make enough lists to not even break the top 100.

There's another song that just has to be there, and I'm surprised it's so high, possibly in the top 20 with all the competition around.

Anyway, more generally, I think we can be 99% sure of what the remaining 22 songs will be...

About this, nuggets: 0, 6, 2, 1, 1, 4, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1.

100% sure, although, to be nit picky:  0, 6, 2, (1), 1, 4, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0

I'm not surprised FFH missed the top 100.  It didn't make it last time.

My only mild surprises are Untethered Angel, Burning My Soul and A Life Left Behind.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1706 on: January 30, 2024, 09:48:58 AM »
Illumination Theory - 33

Fantastic epic. I still maintain that the self titled is *the* go to album of the Mangini era.

Beyond This Life - 3

I honestly thought I’d be the highest on this one, but NoFred beat me out. It’s absolutely perfect in every way. I wouldn’t change a single note. It’s my favorite from SFAM, and I’ve always been a bit shocked that it doesn’t get more praise than “that other epic” from SFAM that I think is so overrated.  EDIT - and the extended LAB version is the #1 DT live track of all time!!

Bridges in the Sky - 27

ADTOE is not a perfect album, but its “highs” are pretty damn high. Count me in as someone who preferred the original title though.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: January 30, 2024, 09:53:00 AM »
Illumination Theory ranked 20. I'm as most prog heads a sucker for epics. This one is really good but not as good as some of DTs other epics.
Beyond This Life ended up 35th place. A great song of a great record.
Bridges In the Sky was placed at rank 63. I really liked this on release but I feel it has gone down a bit in ranking since then.

My ranking so far

6 Another Day (38)
7 Space-Dye Vest (30)
8 One Last Time (46)
11 The Dance of Eternity (33)
12 The Spirit Carries On (26)
17 The Mirror (27)
19 The Silent Man (66)
20 Illumination Theory (25)
22 6:00 (34)
21 Caught In a Web (51
27 Wait For Sleep (44t)
28 Through Her Eyes  (74)
32 Awaken the Master (81)
33 Sleeping Giant (85)
35 Beyond This Life (24)
37 Our New World (93)
38 Innocence Faded (42)
40 Lifting Shadows Off a Dream (35)
41 A View from the Top of the World (49t)
44 The Great Debate (53)
45 To Live Forever (76)
47 Lie (47t)
48 Erotomania (40)
50 Answering the Call (75)
54 Beneath the Surface (64)
57 Pale Blue Dot (62)
59 Transcending Time (90)
63 Bridges In the Sky (23)
64 Sacrificed Sons (63)
65 The Looking Glass (92)
66 Hollow Years (59)
61 At Wit's End ( 37)
62 Stream of Consciousness  (39)
73 As I Am (43)
74 The Root of All Evil(36)
75 The Alien (69)
77 A Nightmare To Remember (49t)
78 Misunderstood (31)
81 Behind the Veil (89)
86 Peruvian Skies (44t)
87 Surrender To Reason (83)
88 Ytse Jam (67)
89 Forsaken (95)
91. The Gift of Music (98)
94. Never Enough (100)
96 Endless Sacrifice (29)
99 These Walls (54)
100 Honor Thy Father (71)

Highest ranker of
8 One Last Time (46)

Not rated
Wither (99), Vacant (97), Afterlife (96), S2N (94), A New Beginning (91), This is the Life (88), New Millennium (87), Constant Motion (86), The Enemy Inside (84), Only a Matter of Time (82), I Walk Beside You (80), The Shattered Fortress (79), A Fortune In Lies (78), The Best Of Times (78), Lost Not Forgotten (73), Fall Into the Light (72), The Dark Eternal Night (70), The Killing Hand (68), Raise The Knife (65), The Ministry of Lost Souls (61), The Bigger Picture (60), Outcry (58),  Hell's Kitchen (57), On The Backs Of Angels (56), Panic Attack (55), Barstool Warrior (52), This Dying Soul (47t), Disappear (41), Overture 1928 (32), Lines In The Sand (28)

Rated: 45
Not rated: 30

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1708 on: January 30, 2024, 09:58:49 AM »
THE SCORE SO FAR
(Getting Ready for the Final Stretch Edition)

1. Awake (9 songs, 537 points):  The Silent Man (66), Caught in a Web (51), Lie (47T), Innocence Faded (42), Erotomania (40), Lifting Shadows off a Dream (35), 6:00 (34), Space-Dye Vest (30), The Mirror (27)

2. Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory (6 songs, 371 points):  Through Her Eyes (74), One Last Time (46), The Spirit Carries On (26), Beyond This Life (24)

3. Train of Thought (6 songs, 280 points):  Vacant (97), Honor Thy Father (71), This Dying Soul (47T), As I Am (43), Stream of Consciousness (39), Endless Sacrifice (29)

4. A Dramatic Turn of Events (6 songs, 244 points):  This Is the Life (88), Lost Not Forgotten (73), Beneath the Surface (64), Outcry (58), On the Backs of Angels (56), Bridges in the Sky (23)

5. Falling into Infinity (5 songs, 230 points):  New Millennium (87), Hollow Years (59), Hell’s Kitchen (57), Peruvian Skies (44T), Lines in the Sand 28

6. Octavarium (6 songs, 218 points):  Never Enough (100), I Walk Beside You (80), Sacrificed Sons (63), Panic Attack (55), These Walls (54), The Root of All Evil (36)

7. Distance over Time (5 songs, 188 points):  S2N (94), Fall into the Light (72), Pale Blue Dot (62), Barstool Warrior (52), At Wit’s End (37)

8. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (3 songs, 178 points):  The Great Debate (53), Disappear (41), Misunderstood (31)

9. Dream Theater (6 songs, 174 points):  The Looking Glass (92), Behind the Veil (89), The Enemy Inside (83T), Surrender to Reason (83T), The Bigger Picture (60), Illumination Theory (25)

10. A View from the Top of the World (6 songs, 157 points):  Transcending Time (90), Sleeping Giant (85), Awaken the Master (81), Answering the Call (75), The Alien (69), A View from the Top of the World (49)

11. Images and Words (2 songs, 120 points):  Wait for Sleep (44), Another Day (38)

12. When Dream and Day Unite (5 songs, 114 points):  Afterlife (96), Only a Matter of Time (82), A Fortune in Lies (78), The Killing Hand (68), Ytse Jam (67)

13. Black Clouds & Silver Linings (4 songs, 99 points):  Wither (99), The Shattered Fortress (79), The Best of Times (77), A Nightmare to Remember (50)

14. Systematic Chaos (4 songs, 92 points):  Forsaken (95), Constant Motion (86), The Dark Eternal Night (70), The Ministry of Lost Souls (61)

15. Other (2 songs, 61 points):  To Live Forever (76), Raise the Knife (65)

16. The Astonishing (3 songs, 21 points):  The Gift of Music (98), Our New World (93), A New Beginning (91)

Five albums done.  DOT finished with 5 songs and 188 points; last time, it placed the same 5 songs but garnered 284 points.  DT12 also ranked the same 6 songs but dropped from 278 points to 174.  WDADU had a similar, but not as drastic, drop from 131 to 114 points.  View, WDADU and TA will end up in the bottom 3 spots.  "Other" will finish just ahead of View.  The question is whether BC&SL and SC will pass DT12 and/or DOT.  We'll know in the next couple of days.  And, of course, the order of the top 8 will be interesting to see.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: January 30, 2024, 10:52:56 AM »
At this point, I also thought Illumination Theory won't make it. I thought it would be somewhere in the 40th-60th range.

Illumination Theory - #89 - I don't mind some parts of it, but the song doesn't work for me as a whole. And yeah I've read the lengthy explanation someone posted back then how the concept works.

Beyond This Life - #35 - there are better songs on SFAM but this is still awesome. The melody "The witness heard a horrifying sound" still gives me chills, such a good moment.

Bridges in the Sky - #55 - I really love a lot of ADTOE songs, but this one is just good/alright.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (79-77 Up!)
« Reply #1710 on: January 30, 2024, 10:57:42 AM »
25. Illumination Theory

A little surprised this placed so high. I like IT but I thought it would place more towards the middle of the list.

I am disappointed it's placed so low. This is an absolute masterpiece and right from the get go Paradox de la Lumière Noire expose some wonderful groovin' riffs and timesignatures. I like the reflection of part II Live, Die, Kill... but it's not till The Embracing Circle where this epic really starts to lift himself. Wonderful part, both magical and emotional. Those violins on Fourth Wall - combined with the artworks (cartoon) - are straight from heaven. The Pursuit of Truth (pt. IV) is not the greatest part of the song, but really settle the template for one of the most emotional endings of their entire catalog, Surrender, Trust & Passion. When I listen to it with my Marshall headphone on, it's almost impossible not to be moved with teary eyes.

I've seen Doug's reaction on it multiple times and somewhere here on DTF Ben_Jamin did a fantastic breakdown of the song. I ranked it as fourth, but on any given day this could easily be my #3.

096: Beyond This Life    72
095: I Walk Beside You     15
094: S2n     spot on
093: Never Enough     7
091: Caught In a Web     40
090: The Alien     21
089: Only a Matter of Time     7
088: Surrender to Reason     5
087: Forsaken     8
086: Through Her Eyes     12
085: The Silent Man     19
084: Constant Motion     2
083: Fall Into the Light     11
082: The Best of Times     5
080: Wait for Sleep     36
079: On the Backs of Angels     23
078: Behind the Veil     11
077: Afterlife     19
076: Hollow Years     17
074: Sacrified Sons     9
073: 6:00     39
072: Erotomania     32
069: Innocence Faded     27
068: The Enemy Inside     15
067: Pale Blue Dot     3
065: Another Day     27
063: Disappear     22
062: Peruvian Skies     18
061: Misunderstood     30
060: A Fortune in Lies     18
059: Hell's Kitchen     2
056: A Nightmare to Remember     6
054: The Looking Glass     38
053: Raise the Knife     12
050: Wither     49
049: Lifting Shadows Off a Dream     14
048: Transcending Time     42
046: Barstool Warrior     6
045: The Root of All Evil     9
044: Ytse Jam     23
043: The Spirit Carries On     17
042: The Killing Hand     26
041: Sleeping Giant     44
040: Answering the Call     45
038: The Dance of Eternity     5
037: The Bigger Picture     23
036: Lines In the Sand     8
034: As I Am     9
033: At Wit's End   4
031: Endless Sacrifice     2
030: Space-Dye Vest     spot on
029: Awaken the Master     52
028: Stream of Conciousness     11
027: Honor Thy Father     44
025: Lie     22
024: One Last Time     22
018: Outcry     47
017: Beneath the Surface     49
016: The Shattered Fortress     63
015: The Mirror     12
014: This Dying Soul     33
012: Bridges In the Sky     11
010: The Ministry of Lost Souls     51
007: A View From the Top of the World     42
004: Illumination Theory     21 highest

not ranked: 10 The Gift of Music / Vacant / Our New World / A New Beginning / This Is the Life / New Millennium / To Live Forever / Lost Not Forgotten / The Dark Eternal Night / Overture 1928
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 01:03:30 PM by Wim Kruithof »
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1711 on: January 30, 2024, 11:34:05 AM »
Now we're talking, 3 killer songs here and all with a myriad of twists and turns. Well, not so much BiTS which is a little more straightforward but kicks butt. Love MP's drum beats in the first 2 verses of BTL and IT probably has my favorite Mangini performance.

5 Only a Matter of Time
  6 The Killing Hand
  9 The Great Debate
11 Outcry
12 Overture 1928
16 One Last Time
18 Illumination Theory
19 Beyond This Life
20 Lost Not Forgotten
22 A View From the Top of the World
24 This is the Life
25 Beneath the Surface
26 A New Beginning
28 Fall Into the Light
29 Bridges in the Sky
30 The Best of Times
31 Afterlife
33 Disappear
35 S2N
38 Constant Motion
39 Behind the Veil
40 The Enemy Inside
41 Pale Blue Dot
42 The Root of All Evil
46 Misunderstood
48 A Fortune in Lies
52 Barstool Warrior
51 Our New World
53 At Wit's End
54 Wither
55 The Alien
56 Lifting Shadows off a Dream
57 Surrender to Reason
58 Raise the Knife
59 Innocence Faded
61 I Walk Beside You
62 Endless Sacrifice
63 Awaken the Master
64 The Looking Glass
65 Wait for Sleep
66 The Bigger Picture
67 A Nightmare to Remember
68 Sleeping Giant
70 The Ministry of Lost Souls
72 The Dance of Eternity
75 Panic Attack
76 Transcending Time
78 Ytse Jam
79 Sacrificed Sons
81 The Gift of Music
84 Answering the Call
88 The Mirror
93 Another Day
95 On the Backs of Angels
97 The Shattered Fortress

Missed the top 100: Never Enough, Vacant, Forsaken, New Millennium, Through Her Eyes, To Live Forever, Honor thy Father, The Dark Eternal Night, The Silent Man, Hollow Years, Hell's Kitchen, These Walls, Caught in a Web, Lie, This Dying Soul, Peruvian Skies, As I Am, Erotomania, Stream of Consciousness, 6:00, Space-Dye Vest, The Spirit Carries On, Lines in the Sand

Highest Ranker Of: Only a Matter of Time, Outcry

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1712 on: January 30, 2024, 12:54:39 PM »
Bridges in the Sky (my #12) is my favorite Mangini era song. Totally killer solo section - just a minor detail - but I specially love the using of that piccolo snare drum. How I wish to listen to it with a great drum sound!

I love immensely Illumination Theory (my #17), but I still wish that middle section had some participation of the band playing, it would help to add more coesiveness to the song.

Beyond This Life (my #13) is the best song on Scenes, it is heavy as f... and very creative with those Radiohed pre-chorus and Frank Zappa section.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#40 - #38 Up!)
« Reply #1713 on: January 30, 2024, 01:08:39 PM »
25. Illumination Theory
Number of Lists appeared on: 62 (Adami, Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, NoFred, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, SwedishGoose, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

24. Beyond This Life
Highest Finish: 2 (NoFred)
Number of Lists appeared on: 64 (Adami, Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, SwedishGoose, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

23. Bridges In The Sky
Highest Finish: 5 (nobloodyname)
Number of Lists appeared on: 65 (Adami, Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, OpenYourEyes311, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, SwedishGoose, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

I had Illumination Theory at #57.
Up until the mellow part in the middle, this is Grade A stuff. In fact, the minute before that part is one of my favorite one minute segments in the catalog. But that section stops the song dead in its tracks and I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea. It comes out of punching big time, but then it just kind of meanders until the end. Really uneven for me. Still, it's good for what it is, but not perfect.

I had Beyond This Life at #72.
A tad surprised this is rated so high. I like it, and probably am guilty ofunderrating it myself, but it feels like it can be kind of a chore to get through as good as it is.

I had Bridges In The Sky at #48.
Really solid tune and it worked excellent as a set opener.

List                                                    Not Ranked         
100                                                      Wither
99                                                        Vacant
98  6:00                                               Our New World
97                                                        The Looking Glass
96  The Root Of All Evil                          Transcending Time
95  Lie                                                  Behind The Veil
94                                                        New Millenium   
93  Caught In A Web                              Constant Motion
92                                                        The Shattered Fortress
91                                                        To Live Forever
90  Forsaken                                         Answering The Call
89                                                        Honor Thy Father
88                                                        The Silent Man
87                                                        Hell's Kitchen
86  Zydar                                              The Great Debate
85  Pale Blue Dot                                   As I Am
84                                                        Misunderstood
83                                                        The Mirror
80  Awaken The Master
79  On The Backs Of Angels
78  Stream Of Consciousness
77  A Nightmare To Remember
76  S2N
75  These Walls
74  Afterlife
73  This Is The Life
72  Beyond This Life
70  One Last Time
69  Surrender Of Reason
65  Sacrificed Sons
64  Beneath The Surface
63  Through Her Eyes
62  The Bigger Picture
61  I Walk Beside You
60  Never Enough
59  A New Beginning
58  Wait For Sleep
57  Illumination Theory
56  The Spirit Carries On
54  Barstool Warrior
51  Erotomania
48  Bridges In The Sky
45  Overture 1928
44  Panic Attack
43  Innocence Faded
42  The Ministry Of Lost Souls
41  Sleeping Giant
39  A View From The Top Of The World
38  At Wits End
37  Fall Into The Light
35  The Gift Of Music
34  The Dance Of Eternity
33  Peruvian Skies
32  Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
31  Ytse Jam
28  The Enemy Inside
26  Only A Matter Of Time
24  Raise The Knife
23  Hollow Years
22  The Dark Eternal Night
21  Outcry
20  This Dying Soul
18  A Fortune In Lies
16  The Alien
14  The Best Of Times
13  Endless Sacrifice
11  Lost Not Forgotten.
8  Lines In The Sand
7  Disappear
5  Space Dye Vest
4  The Killing Hand

60-18
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1714 on: January 30, 2024, 01:53:28 PM »
25. Illumination Theory (91st) DREAM THEATER, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, DO MORE STUFF IN THE VEIN OF THE LAST FEW MINUTES OF THIS SONG. SO GOOD.
24. Beyond This Life (88th) I'm a SFAM hater, what can I say? It's an okay song though.
23. Bridges In The Sky (8th) This song could be top 5 but the intro is too long, it's otherwise a stellar song. When JLB sings "crossing bridges in the sky", it's so good.