Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)  (Read 66406 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd gather that most/all of the Nomac songs wouldn't.  There's a few others that aren't actually songs (eg, Regression), some that are generally considered not good (Raw Dog), and others that don't have a lot of broader knowledge (Awake Jam).

Regression made my list. I think it's a great little track.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline pg1067

Well...I did it.  Very hasty, and I will find decisions I'm not really happy with, but oh well.  Thank you, Reaper!

WDADU - 8 (highest ranked - 15; lowest ranked - 94)
I&W - 8 (highest ranked - 2; lowest ranked - 89)
Awake - 10 (highest ranked - 7; lowest ranked - 86)
FII - 7 (highest ranked - 38; lowest ranked - 93)
SFAM - 10 (highest ranked - 6; lowest ranked - 81)
SDOIT - 4 (highest ranked - 4; lowest ranked - 45)
TOT - 6 (highest ranked - 8; lowest ranked - 100)
8VM - 7 (highest ranked - 5; lowest ranked - 99)
SC - 6 (highest ranked - 18; lowest ranked - 96)
BCSL - 5 (highest ranked - 16; lowest ranked - 95)
ADTOE - 8 (highest ranked - 12; lowest ranked - 98)
DT12 - 9 (highest ranked - 13; lowest ranked - 90)
TA - 1 (80)
DOT - 7 (highest ranked - 28; lowest ranked - 70)
View - 3 (highest ranked - 48; lowest ranked - 65)

Other - 1

Portnoy era got 72; Mangini era got 28

I added some information above.

- I'm betting that at least 47 songs in my top 50 will make the consensus 100.

- I'm betting that at least 82 songs from my top 100 making the consensus 100.

- I'm betting that 1 of the consensus top 10 will not be in my top 100.

- I'm putting the over/under at 5.5 for songs in the top 100 on which I am the top ranker (I'm also betting that I'm the top ranker for at least 3 songs that don't make the consensus 100).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
To be honest, I wasn't even considering the NOMACs tunes while expressing that wish.

On the other hand Regression is a song, Raw Dog could have a lovely RawDoghouse in someone's yard somewhere, and I suspect lack of broader knowledge could not be an issue with this forum.

You may say I'm a dreamer.

I believe Raw Dog will make the countdown.

I've done my bit for Raw Dog. Great song.

I really like Raw Dog when it came out but I gave it another list and while I still enjoyed the song, it sounded very dated to my ears.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I don't hate it.  But there are easily over 100 Dream Theater songs that are better.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

I don't hate it.  But there are easily over 100 Dream Theater songs that are better.

I think I had heard it twice before today.  I gave it another listen.  My immediate thought was that it sounded like something that wasn't good enough to make the cut on TOT.  The drop A tuning in the intro was off-putting to my ears.  I honestly wanted to stop after a minute.  I'm halfway through, and there's nothing interesting or memorable.  Just a bunch of riffing and soloing.  I started skipping forward a bit.  The part at around 5:05 was pretty interesting, but it took 5 minutes to get there.  Then we have a variation on the Weebles circus theme that JR likes.  Now more random low-A riffing.  And then just some random, cut-off ending?  WTF was that?  I suppose if I played video games like God of War I might like having that playing in the background, but yeah...this is definitely a bottom-of-the-barrel DT song.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
^That about sums it up.  I mean, I'd listen to it on repeat for 3 hours before spending that time watching a Vikings v. Bills Super Bowl, but that's not saying much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

I think I had heard it twice before today.  I gave it another listen.  My immediate thought was that it sounded like something that wasn't good enough to make the cut on TOT.  The drop A tuning in the intro was off-putting to my ears.  I honestly wanted to stop after a minute.  I'm halfway through, and there's nothing interesting or memorable.  Just a bunch of riffing and soloing.  I started skipping forward a bit.  The part at around 5:05 was pretty interesting, but it took 5 minutes to get there.  Then we have a variation on the Weebles circus theme that JR likes.  Now more random low-A riffing.  And then just some random, cut-off ending?  WTF was that?  I suppose if I played video games like God of War I might like having that playing in the background, but yeah...this is definitely a bottom-of-the-barrel DT song.
Funny thing is that it wasn't even featured in the game like that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
170   The Astonishing
171   Other
172   The Astonishing
173   The Astonishing
174   A View From The Top Of The World
175   The Astonishing
176   The Astonishing
177   The Majesty Demos
178   When Dream And Day Unite

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
170   The Astonishing
171   Other
172   The Astonishing
173   The Astonishing
175   The Astonishing
176   The Astonishing
177   The Majesty Demos

:lol Curious to know what they are.

I didn't bother ranking songs I knew where not going to make the top 100, just to make my life easier. I think I ranked 127 songs in total, so I have no idea how the bottom would've look except for the last song, which I expect it to make an appearance somewhere between rank 50-80.

Offline Animal

I'll add my 2 cents with predictions:

1) No more than 3 songs will make all the lists. Actually, if I were a betting man, I would bet at zero being the winning number.
2)All DT songs except Nomac tracs will make at least one list.
3)Contrary to some posters' expectations, Lost not Forgotten will make Top 100 by a comfortable margin.
4)This thread will surpass Mike Portnoy¨s return thread in length by the time we make it to the Top 50. It will end up being at least 120 pages long.

Offline pg1067

170   The Astonishing
171   Other
172   The Astonishing
173   The Astonishing
175   The Astonishing
176   The Astonishing
177   The Majesty Demos

:lol Curious to know what they are.

I didn't bother ranking songs I knew where not going to make the top 100, just to make my life easier. I think I ranked 127 songs in total, so I have no idea how the bottom would've look except for the last song, which I expect it to make an appearance somewhere between rank 50-80.

Same.  I had 129 songs put into the ranking engine before I decided to make my rankings without using it.  Had I used it, I'm confident I'd have generated a different list and might have had more than one TA song in the top 100.

1) No more than 3 songs will make all the lists. Actually, if I were a betting man, I would bet at zero being the winning number.
3)Contrary to some posters' expectations, Lost not Forgotten will make Top 100 by a comfortable margin.
4)This thread will surpass Mike Portnoy¨s return thread in length by the time we make it to the Top 50. It will end up being at least 120 pages long.

1. I think the number will be a bit higher, but not much.
2. If this excludes the Majesty demos and the live-only songs, then I probably agree.
3. I have zero doubt LNF will make the top 100.
4. 120 seems really long, so I'd take the under on that one.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

I would say you are right, except about #1 and #4. Last time we ran this, I believe 7 from the top10 made every list. Of course this time is different, but I would guess at least 5 of the top 10 will make every list, and at least 10 in total, since some outside of the top 10 made every list as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I wish Kev was here to validate how many songs made all 26 lists last time around.  I think I was doing the mental math wrong on some of my predictions.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
So what you are saying is that you were not right, mentally?

Offline pg1067

I wish Kev was here to validate how many songs made all 26 lists last time around.

I just checked the prior thread.  Nine songs (marked in bold below) appeared on all 26 lists.

1. Learning to Live (#1 on 4 lists)
2. A Change of Seasons (25/26) (#1 on 4 lists)
3. Octavarium (#1 on 4 lists)
4. Metropolis Part 1 (#1 on 2 lists)
5. Voices (#1 on 1 list)
6. Breaking All Illusions
7. Trial of Tears (#1 on 1 list)
8. Home (25/26)
9. Scarred (24/26) (#1 on 1 list)
10. Finally Free
11. In the Name of God (#1 on 2 lists)
12. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (23/26) (#1 on 2 lists)
13. The Glass Prison (23/26) (#1 on 1 list)
14. The Count of Tuscany (24/26)
15. Surrounded (25/26)
16. Bridges in the Sky

Everything from 17 and below fell short of 26.  The other four #1 song votes went to The Spirit Carries on (#28), This Dying Soul (#51), 6:00 (#54), and Beneath the Surface (#67).

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Surrounded being in the top 15 is crazy and awesome
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
That is a worrisome list.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

At least one of those songs in the top 10 did not make my top 100. It landed at 150. One of those "I don't get the love for this song" kind of things.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I was going to track down that thread. I didn't save my list from that countdown, though I remember what my #1 was. One of those songs wasn't on my list then and isn't on my list now.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Since all the cool kids are doing it, my album breakdown:
-WDADU:  5
-I&W:  6
-Awake:  6
-FII:  6
-SFAM:  7
-SDOIT:  6
-TOT:  5
-8VM:  6
-SC:  4
-BCSL:  3
-ADTOE:  7
-DT:  8
-TA:  12  (I was surprised by this number)
-d/t:  9
-View:  7
-Other:  3

I was interested to see my top 10 breakdown by album as well, so:
-WDADU:  -
-I&W:  2
-Awake:  1 
-FII:  -
-SFAM:  1
-SDOIT:  2
-TOT:  -
-8VM:  1
-SC:  -
-BCSL:  -
-ADTOE:  1
-DT:  -
-TA:  -
-d/t:  1
-View:  -
-Other:  1

Other fun facts about my list, without getting too spoilery:
-As of my #48, all albums were represented. 
-It took until #96 for an album to have ALL songs represented.
-Taking just my top 4 or top 5 albums (it comes out the same either way), 78% of the total number of songs made my list.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
My top 10

IaW: 1
ACOS: 1 (where does this get labeled, other?)
SDOIT: 2
TOT: 1
8VM: 2
BCSL: 1
ADTOE: 2

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Top 10

I&W: 1
Awake: 1
Non-Album: 1
SFaM: 1
SDoIT: 1
ToT: 1
8VM: 2
SC: 1
ADTOE: 1
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline OpenYourEyes311

All albums but one are represented in the top 40 of mine. The top 10 has only one repeated album.
WELP.

Offline jammindude

My top 10:

IAW - 1
Awake - 2
FII - 1
SFAM - 2
SDOIT - 2
8V - 1
Other - 1

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
The lowest ranking song representing the highest rank from an album (did that make sense?) is #70.

Offline porcacultor

My top 10:

WDADU - 1
I&W - 1
Awake - 4
FII - 1
SDoIT - 1
ToT - 1
Octavarium - 1

And now for the full album breakdown:

WDADU - 6
I&W - 7
Awake - 10
ACOS - 1
FII - 10
SFAM - 9
SDOIT - 6
TOT - 6
Octavarium - 8
SC - 6
BC&SL - 3
ADTOE - 5
DT12 - 8
TA - 7
DOT - 4
AVFTTOTW - 2
Other - 2

MP era: 74
MM era: 26

After I submitted, I realized a bunch of TA tracks didn't get a fair shake. Maybe next time with DT16 battling for spots as well  :lol

Offline Animal

I would say you are right, except about #1 and #4. Last time we ran this, I believe 7 from the top10 made every list. Of course this time is different, but I would guess at least 5 of the top 10 will make every list, and at least 10 in total, since some outside of the top 10 made every list as well.

IMO, this time will be very different. Instead of just 26 lists, there are 65 or so. A lot more diversity in tastes. The chances of there being at least one Stadler for a massively popular song are much higher.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
It's the 5th!! :corn

My top 10, if everyone is doing it...

I&W - 5
ASFaM - 2
8V - 1
BC&SL - 1
D12 - 1

Offline Animal

Now that we are doing Top 10 album breakdown...

WADADU - 1
Awake - 4
Scenes - 1
BCSL - 1
ADTOE - 1
DT12 - 1
Non-album - 1

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Top 10?

I&W - 6
SFAM - 3
Six Degrees - 1

:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Top 10:

I&W - 2
Awake - 1
SFAM - 1
ToT - 1
8VM - 1
SC  - 1
ADTOE - 3
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Top 10:

I&W - 2
Awake - 1
SFAM - 1
ToT - 1
8VM - 1
SC  - 1
ADTOE - 3
Ooh, I got this....

I&W - Another Day, Wait for Sleep
Awake - Puppies On Acid  :neverusethis:
SFAM - Regression
TOT - Vacant
8VM - The Answer Lies Within
SC - Prophets of War
ADTOE - Build Me Up, Break Me Down, Far From Heaven
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
1 A Dramatic Turn of Events
1 Black Clouds
1 Falling Into Infinity
1 Images & Words
1 Non-album
1 Octavarium
1 Scenes
1 Six Degrees
2 Train of Thought

Not a bad spread, that.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Top 10

Images and Words -  4
Awake - 1
Falling Into Infinity  - 1
Scenes from a Memory  - 1
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence  - 1
Octavarium - 1
Other - 1

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Top 10:

I&W - 2
Awake - 1
SFAM - 1
ToT - 1
8VM - 1
SC  - 1
ADTOE - 3
Ooh, I got this....

I&W - Another Day, Wait for Sleep
Awake - Puppies On Acid  :neverusethis:
SFAM - Regression
TOT - Vacant
8VM - The Answer Lies Within
SC - Prophets of War
ADTOE - Build Me Up, Break Me Down, Far From Heaven

I like how Build Me Up, Break Me Down counts for two. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.