Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)  (Read 59509 times)

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (Lists due by 12/31)
« Reply #175 on: December 23, 2023, 09:47:38 PM »
Again why I come back to the struggle to understand the time and thought processes people put into their lists, but to each their own.

You mean to say it's pointless anyway, or am I mistaken you? Most of all the process and outcome is interesting (to me), but yeah, a final list that stands out as 'done' may never come. Each approach will slightly differ.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #176 on: December 24, 2023, 02:38:20 AM »
Without the online calculator, I would have never bothered with this, for sure.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: December 24, 2023, 03:46:10 AM »
Again why I come back to the struggle to understand the time and thought processes people put into their lists, but to each their own.

You mean to say it's pointless anyway, or am I mistaken you? Most of all the process and outcome is interesting (to me), but yeah, a final list that stands out as 'done' may never come. Each approach will slightly differ.

I'm not saying it's pointless.  We all have our part in making the final 100 what it is, what I'm saying is, agonising over decisions like should Forsaken be at rank 70 or 60 will have minimal impact on the outcome.  I think most would be fine in taking a more casual and less time consuming approach without it changing a lot of what the final outcome of the songs would be.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: December 24, 2023, 04:19:31 AM »
Anyway, I've been doing some listening in prep for my list and thought I'd get out two of my least played albums, ADTOE and SC.  Never really been a big fan of either.  Some thoughts;

ADTOE

Angels: You know what, I really enjoyed this.  Much better than I used to think of it.  This will probably rank a bit higher than my first list.  I was always underwhelmed with the chorus but I thought this time around it was excellent.

Build: Never had an issue with this song, it's fine.  That opinion still stands.

Lost: Jeez, they did listen to UAGM a lot when writing this one hey.  Meh, it's fine, another one that never bowled me over.  Killer solo.

Life: Another I didn't see the hype in.  It was better this time but not by much.  Still don't fully get it.  The start of JPs solo is amazing though.

Bridges: Yeah, this is good.  Always been a highlight.  I love that Home inspired shorter instrumental section too.  Great chorus.

Outcry: Could be my sneaky fav on the album.  That chorus is sensational and a balls out extra long instrumental section which I'm okay with.

Heaven: Amazing.  Found more appreciation of this too.  This is beautiful.  James is incredible here.

Illusions: I love the intro but this song I always drift until the chorus.  The chorus is incredible though and a very good solo.  That Far From Heaven reprise at the end is so good.  Always was 50/50 on the hype this one got.

Surface:  Nah, never liked this one personally.

SC

ITPOE1: This should have been one song.  I never understood.  The instrumental intro is pretty cool.

Forsaken: This is cool, crunchy and groovy, why the hate?

CM:  I never realised how fucking terrible this song is.  The Metallica influence makes me laugh and the solo section is wasted on this song.  Will rank lower than the first list.

TDEN:  Always liked this one personally.  Killer outro.

Repentance:  What a snoozefest and a major speedbump in the 12SS.

POW:  You know, this really isn't that bad.

TMOLS:  I drifted in this one.  Didn't like it as much as I thought I used too.  Might need another listen.

Enemies2:  Again, this would rank so much higher if it were a single 25 minute piece.  Splitting it hurt it big time.  This was way better than I remember though.  That part after the Heretic section is fucking unreal.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #179 on: December 24, 2023, 04:34:54 AM »
I thought the same of Repentance... but the remembered MP's purpose behind this - I remember during the hype for the album release, his commentary was that they needed this kind of break/pause/mellow track for when they performed the entirety of the 12 step suite - that there was no way they could do 60 straight minutes of high intensity pounding metal.  I think it suits for that purpose, but as a standalone song, it's a quick pass for me.

PoW ... I really loved it when it came out, but it has not aged well.  The main descending riff is awesome, but the rest of the song (especially the drum rhythm) is cringey.

CM on the other hand, aged a bit better - listening to it a couple of weeks ago, I almost enjoyed it (except for random thought of neat disorder :lolpalm:).

BMUBMD is still trash; as is LNF
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: December 24, 2023, 04:54:13 AM »
I understand the reasoning behind Repentance.  But that doesn't make it any easier to sit through.

LNF being trash is an interesting take.

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #181 on: December 24, 2023, 05:01:42 AM »
BMUBMD is still trash; as is LNF

Couldn't agree more. I could only fill one hand with bad songs in their entire discography, but these two and a couple from Falling Into Infinity will surely take a finger. The only songs I'll ever skip.

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #182 on: December 24, 2023, 05:26:19 AM »
I'm not saying it's pointless.  We all have our part in making the final 100 what it is, what I'm saying is, agonising over decisions like should Forsaken be at rank 70 or 60 will have minimal impact on the outcome.  I think most would be fine in taking a more casual and less time consuming approach without it changing a lot of what the final outcome of the songs would be.

I see, thanks. I've spend quite some time on this list but indeed, a song at place 65 could also be 70th or so. But to me it's even harder to rank the albums. That I just can't do, it changes constantly, due to circumstances and emotions.

The hardest song to me in this top 100 list though, was the title track from A View.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #183 on: December 24, 2023, 07:17:21 PM »
Funny how everyone’s tastes vary, I’m a metal guy like wolfking but my views on those 2 albums are quite different. To me Far From Heaven is the clunky failure while those other 2 ballads are top 5 DT ballad territory along with Surrounded, Lifting Shadows, and Disappear; and of course Breaking All Illusions is in my top 10.

As for SC, Repentance is easily the best song, the only one with genuine emotion and heartfelt lyrics (the ending IS too long though). I can’t dislike CM, it’s my most headbangable DT song with killer riffs and drumming and an amazing solo section. ITPOE, TDEN, and especially POW I all despise.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #184 on: December 24, 2023, 07:31:14 PM »
Funny how everyone’s tastes vary, I’m a metal guy like wolfking but my views on those 2 albums are quite different. To me Far From Heaven is the clunky failure while those other 2 ballads are top 5 DT ballad territory along with Surrounded, Lifting Shadows, and Disappear; and of course Breaking All Illusions is in my top 10.

As for SC, Repentance is easily the best song, the only one with genuine emotion and heartfelt lyrics (the ending IS too long though). I can’t dislike CM, it’s my most headbangable DT song with killer riffs and drumming and an amazing solo section. ITPOE, TDEN, and especially POW I all despise.
I agree that TDEN and PoW are both terrible, but ItPoE is amazing and Repentance is a big fat meh-burger. CM is ok.

I actually edited ItPoE into 1 track on my version of Systematic Chaos as the closing track and moved Constant Motion to the beginning of the album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2023, 07:39:13 PM »

I agree that TDEN and PoW are both terrible, but ItPoE is amazing and Repentance is a big fat meh-burger. CM is ok.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2023, 07:45:16 PM »
I love Prophets Of War and TDEN.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2023, 07:50:50 PM »
I actually edited ItPoE into 1 track on my version of Systematic Chaos as the closing track and moved Constant Motion to the beginning of the album.

I think that would have made the album a lot better.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #188 on: December 24, 2023, 07:56:22 PM »
Who doesn't love TDEN? Such a fun song with cool riffs everywhere.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2023, 08:05:38 PM »
SDOIT was the play this morning on my long run.  I know this album well but why not;

TGP: Still a top DT for me, just killer from start to finish.

BF: As above, love it.  The 'still life pushes on' section has always been probably a top 5 DT moment for me, incredible.

Misunderstood:  I think I got some more appreciation for this one this morning.  I don't have headphones so just listen through the phone which made James' vocals more prominent.  I really listened to the lyrics and fuck they hit me.  I can relate to them at this point in time.  I love the solo and the outro too.  This will go up in my rankings I think.

TGD: This one has actually hasn't aged that well for me.  I loved it when the album came out.  I thought the whole 'Tool' novelty was cool but I think the sampling could have been chopped but this probably will drop in the rankings a little.  Still a good listen.

Disappear: I was always on the fence with this one.  I like it but never loved it.  That still stands.

SDOIT:  I went through this with Alesandro's thread, so only listened to this a couple of weeks ago.  It's actually growing me to be honest.  It might rank better than before, not sure yet.  SS gave me some chills in the lyric department too.  I still think the band 'failed' at the attempt to make this a single song, but we've had that discussion a thousand times over already.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2023, 08:06:21 PM »

I think the chorus is really clever.  The way is resolves it really cool.  That ending section is balls out too, killer riff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2023, 08:13:40 PM »
“Balls out” is not always a good thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: December 24, 2023, 08:21:37 PM »
“Balls out” is not always a good thing.

Depends who you ask I guess.

I just mean tough, chunky and meaty, just a killer breakdown.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #193 on: December 25, 2023, 10:34:00 AM »

Am I in the minority in thinking it pisses all over every song on Train of Thought?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: December 25, 2023, 10:38:26 AM »

Am I in the minority in thinking it pisses all over every song on Train of Thought?!

I have TDEN, Endless Sacrifice, and This Dying Soul all within 9 spots on my list, and they're pretty high.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #195 on: December 25, 2023, 10:43:30 AM »
I have just never connected with a single song on ToT. I have no idea why, and even though every song on the album makes my top 100, they are all relatively low.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #196 on: December 25, 2023, 10:59:59 AM »
I have just never connected with a single song on ToT. I have no idea why, and even though every song on the album makes my top 100, they are all relatively low.

The songs have so much more life on Live At Budokan. I actually consider Train Of Thought somewhat unlistenable.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #197 on: December 25, 2023, 11:37:52 AM »

I have TDEN, Endless Sacrifice, and This Dying Soul all within 9 spots on my list, and they're pretty high.

Hell yeah, Endless SackOfRice is a high ranking for me as well, and love the other two.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: December 25, 2023, 01:22:26 PM »
Two songs from ToT will crack my Top 10

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: December 25, 2023, 01:43:35 PM »
A few TOT songs will definitely be high on my list.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #200 on: December 25, 2023, 03:31:51 PM »
No Train of Thought songs in my Top 10, but This Dying Soul did reach my Top 20. Most of the songs on there are in my Top 50 (as of adding ADTOE songs to my ranking), Vacant will likely make the Top 100 and Honor Thy Father is still at the very bottom of my list. At this point, though, HTF definitely wouldn't be my least favorite DT song if it weren't for the spoken word section and last chorus. It probably wouldn't make my Top 100 but it'd probably be about 10 spots higher.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: December 25, 2023, 03:33:15 PM »
I gotta believe I will be the one who ranks Endless Sacrifice the highest.

TDEN is garbage, mainly due to the ridiculous vocals.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #202 on: December 25, 2023, 03:43:20 PM »

We'll see, I believe I placed it top 10.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #203 on: December 25, 2023, 04:45:10 PM »

That’s the only song from SC that I actually like!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: December 25, 2023, 05:14:30 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: December 25, 2023, 05:53:47 PM »
Oh my, the Endless Sacrifice fans are representing! Let's go!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #206 on: December 25, 2023, 05:56:24 PM »
I checked and it did make top 10, we in here woo woo

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: December 26, 2023, 02:34:14 AM »

The Dance of Eternity's vocals are fabulously fun and playful. That's why I rank it comparitively highly.

Edit: I meant The Dark Eternal Night. Oops.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 10:24:56 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: December 26, 2023, 05:50:29 AM »
List submitted.  Thanks to Kay for running this  :tup

Album breakdown:
WPAPU - 7
I&W - 8
Awake - 11
FII - 8
CotC - 5
SFAM - 10
6DOIT - 6
ToT - 6
8vm - 8
SC - 4
BC&SL - 4
ADTOE - 6
S/T - 6
TA - 3
DoT - 6
Others - 2

KM Era - 28
DS Era - 11
JR Era - 61

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #209 on: December 26, 2023, 06:28:15 AM »