Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)  (Read 59477 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I'm working on mine now.  By the way, have we discussed yet whether SDOIT should be one song or broken into pieces?   ;) :) :)

Surprisingly we have not! We got too distracted talking about how Schiff isn't a liar.

You know, that would be funnier if anyone actually DID respond to it with any substance.  ;) :)
Not the correct venue for that kind of substance.

Understood and agreed; just making an observation in the spirit of the conversation.
Sorry, I've just seen that particular debate, at a rough estimate, 17,000 times over the years lol

Do you have a link? Because I missed it; I usually get silence when it's brought up.   :)

This should be a relevant link for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD7OdyY1js4
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I'm working on mine now.  By the way, have we discussed yet whether SDOIT should be one song or broken into pieces?   ;) :) :)

For everyone that mentions SDOIT being multiple songs I'm going to replace their vote with Barry Manilow's smash hit "Copacabana"
This is the way.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
And under the moonlit sky wolfking is in a heartbreaking struggle, competing to see which 66 tracks he will add to the already certain top 34 of The Astonishing...
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
My split for MP/MM albums is 81 for MP, 19 for MM.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And under the moonlit sky wolfking is in a heartbreaking struggle, competing to see which 66 tracks he will add to the already certain top 34 of The Astonishing...

:lol

So I think I'll just amend my old list.  Moment of Betrayal will definitely make it, just need to figure out where. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

So I think I'll just amend my old list.  Moment of Betrayal will definitely make it, just need to figure out where.

99 - just ahead of Forsaken
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I cannot believe my #5 is what it is. It came out that way through the ranker, it didn't look right on my spreadsheet, yet I couldn't justify moving any song above it. But I look at the list and think "No way that is my 5th favorite DT song!"

I need to stop looking at this list and send it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni

For everyone that mentions SDOIT being multiple songs I'm going to replace their vote with Barry Manilow's smash hit "Copacabana"

I mean, I disagree but hey! At least it's better than anything on The Astonishing :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I cannot believe my #5 is what it is. It came out that way through the ranker, it didn't look right on my spreadsheet, yet I couldn't justify moving any song above it. But I look at the list and think "No way that is my 5th favorite DT song!"

I need to stop looking at this list and send it.

Raw Dog does get a bad wrap mate so don't beat yourself up too much.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

99 - just ahead of Forsaken

Forsaken deserves higher.  Moment of Betrayal actually might also......

Offline Wim Kruithof

I am one of the very few Forsaken-lovers. Really like it...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Forsaken done live was like a bagillion times better than the studio version.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (Lists due by 12/31)
« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2023, 09:09:06 AM »
Agreed.

Two other recurring themes from the ranking:
- There are a SHIT TON of songs on The Astonishing; it seems like every other choice is between a song and an Astonishing song;
- Whoever (here) said "The Astonishing" is James' finest hour (did anyone actually say that?) was spot on.  He sings his balls off on that record;
- Whoever (in the band) said "huh, channeling Muse will be a good idea!" was delirious.  I've said before that the DT catalogue is REMARKABLY timeless, and it is, even with the subtle stylistic changes throughout the years (moving away from that very early QR-like sound) but those songs that have that Muse inflection to the vocals really stand out as "of their time", and not in a good way (IMO).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2023, 09:24:38 AM »
And one of the two is Stockholm Syndrome anyway......

(Btw, always agreed that James is wonderful on The Astonishing!!!)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2023, 09:30:48 AM »
not part of the countdown, but I was listening to "Answering The Call" and it kept playing to the next song on the list which is "Any Colour You Like" from the Officical Bootleg.  I forgot how friggin' good Jordan's solo was on that song.  May be the highlight of the cover set for me.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2023, 09:39:03 AM »
not part of the countdown, but I was listening to "Answering The Call" and it kept playing to the next song on the list which is "Any Colour You Like" from the Officical Bootleg.  I forgot how friggin' good Jordan's solo was on that song.  May be the highlight of the cover set for me.

And, he played half of it standing on the wrong side of his keyboard! What a brain that man has...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2023, 09:40:04 AM »

And, he played half of it standing on the wrong side of his keyboard! What a brain that man has...
Yep!  Highlight of the DVD for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #157 on: December 22, 2023, 11:32:40 AM »
- Whoever (in the band) said "huh, channeling Muse will be a good idea!" was delirious.  I've said before that the DT catalogue is REMARKABLY timeless, and it is, even with the subtle stylistic changes throughout the years (moving away from that very early QR-like sound) but those songs that have that Muse inflection to the vocals really stand out as "of their time", and not in a good way (IMO).

Never Enough is a top 20 song for me :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #158 on: December 22, 2023, 01:07:03 PM »

It will rate pretty high for me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: December 22, 2023, 02:01:59 PM »

It will rate pretty high for me.

Me too.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2023, 02:35:05 PM »
It's definitely around the 50 mark for me, but I love Systematic Chaos so...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2023, 03:04:38 PM »
I haven't finished my ranking yet (I started awhile back, but lost it part way through the ranker), so I don't know the exact number.  I suspect it will be somewhere in the second quartile (26-50).  Which is pretty good consider that, since it's DT, I REALLY like all the songs in the upper half.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: December 22, 2023, 03:12:31 PM »
I don't have it wicked high, but I was never not going to have Forsaken on my list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: December 22, 2023, 03:27:44 PM »
Outside the 100 for me. Evanescence aren't very good. And neither is Forsaken.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #164 on: December 22, 2023, 04:54:42 PM »
Trying to think of how to make it a little more interesting during the countdown other than saying “yup good song”. I think I will keep track of the songs where I am the highest ranker to see if there is a common denominator. If I had to guess it might “more prog and melody than metal” or “Mangini-era song”.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: December 22, 2023, 05:18:03 PM »
Forsakens main riff is pretty standard and generic but it's so chunky and its simplicity is part of its charm.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2023, 07:05:43 PM »
I tried really hard to put it in there.  It seems a late addition from TA (thanks KADE!) may bump it out.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2023, 12:33:24 AM »
Forsakens main riff is pretty standard and generic but it's so chunky and its simplicity is part of its charm.

It is, the only problem I have with Forsaken is that there are around 80 other really, really good songs batteling for the top 25. So it ended up in the 80-range. Unbelievable how good their discography is.

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2023, 12:56:44 AM »
No more of this procrastination paralyzing me and wanting me dead, I'm getting this marathon done and I will dedicate lengthy listening sessions over the next few days.

For some reason I was worried that Octavarium wouldn't hold up as well as it used to. Not in that I wouldn't like it as much, but rather that the songs wouldn't be as resonant to me as they once were. I'm very happy to report that this fear was completely unfounded and I think I've enjoyed every song on this album more than I ever have. Even the title track, which has been one of the greatest songs I've ever known since the first time I heard it, has proven to be a greater listening experience than any other time I've done so before.

Ranking this album's songs alone, nevermind their positions in the Top 100, is difficult. I know what's in 1st and what's in 7th and 8th, but everything in-between is so equally good that this is the first time in a long time I've been tempted to give something a tie (let alone a 5-way tie). Of course I'll not be doing that, but I hope I can figure out an order I'm satisfied with.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 01:02:17 AM by Revenge319 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2023, 04:10:55 AM »
I tried really hard to put it in there.  It seems a late addition from TA (thanks KADE!) may bump it out.

The title track?  ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2023, 05:31:41 AM »

The title track?  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: December 23, 2023, 11:04:50 AM »

It is, the only problem I have with Forsaken is that there are around 80 other really, really good songs batteling for the top 25. So it ended up in the 80-range. Unbelievable how good their discography is.

This is the truth.  List isn't done yet, but I'm guessing spots 30 through 70 will be virtually interchangeable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: December 23, 2023, 02:19:24 PM »

This is the truth.  List isn't done yet, but I'm guessing spots 30 through 70 will be virtually interchangeable.

Again why I come back to the struggle to understand the time and thought processes people put into their lists, but to each their own.

Offline mariner

« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2023, 02:45:00 PM »
Added my list.  Gosh that was difficult!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #174 on: December 23, 2023, 04:29:24 PM »
I sent mine too. :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)