Author Topic: Sucal's daul roulette v6 - OMG IT'S FINALLY OVER!!! CONGRATS!!!1!!!1!!!!!!!!  (Read 20468 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Ok so let's try something a little different - the roulette format will be mostly standard, as my other attempts have been quite flawed tbh, but each round will have a loose theme for you folks to follow.

Format and rules
  • 8 themed rounds
  • 2 songs per round: the first song will follow the round's theme, and the second song will be its opposite, or complementary if you will. For example, a track about celebrating life and seizing the day, and another one about the inevitability of death and the passage of time. Or a metal song and a ballad. Be creative.
  • Maximum length for each song is suggested at 10 mins, and a combined length of 20 mins. Please don't take this as a goal of how much music to fit in that time, but as a warning. These days I prefer songs in the 5-7 mins range.
  • Both tunes can be from the same artist or different ones
  • I prefer Spotify links, but Youtube is fine as well
  • Send your submissions through DMs
  • Once results are up, I'd like to have every entry within 48 hs
  • I'm aiming to have results every week, and the typical games to entertain us
  • I'll probably take a break after round 4 for the holidays and that stuff. Maybe a bit before if I see activity diminishes on the forum :P
  • Scoring out of 5
Round themes
Useful links
Tastes

I've had some breakthroughs on my own self these last few years, and in consequence, gained a bit more insight in what I like and not in music. To me it's very important to see myself reflected, on some level, on what I listen to. It's a matter of identity and emotional connection - that's why I frequently used words like "I admire this but I don't connect with it" in previous roulettes, to the desperation of everybody :lol .

So, what is Sacul music? It's a little tricky to define, as it's very obvious to me, but not to you, even those that have known me for some time here. But I'll try. Please try to think of these things as a spectrum rather than a black and white thing.

Some core aspects that are important to me are dynamics, personality, and liminality.

With dynamics I mean the opposite of monotone, one-dimensionality, and to a certain extent, predictability. A good example of a band that does this well is Deftones imo, most of their songs and albums have a great balance between harsh sounds and more mellow passages, the direct sound of guitar riffs, and the quiet ambience of Chino's whispers. This also explains why I'm quite bored with a lot of death and black metal - it's mostly blast beats and harsh vocals nonstop. When everything is intense, then nothing really is. Albums like Converge's Jane Doe are at the very limit of my patience for this, and as such, can only listen to them very sparingly, or a few songs at a time. Ambient music is also very tricky for me, as lacking enough dynamics it can become wallpaper music, but when the right balance strikes, I love it. This is also the reason why I'm not into Leprous - Einar just dominates the whole thing, and I'm not even that fan of that singing style.

Sometimes a lack of dynamics can be somewhat compensated with a strong personality, but of course my favorite music is a blend of both. What I mean by this aspect is the opposite of generic or run-of-the-mill. For instance, Devin Townsend or Anathema have very recognizable styles that sets them apart, even if their influences can be a bit obvious at times. That's why sending me generic prog metal is gonna tank here, sorry :P .

The last aspect, liminality, is a bit harder to define, but I see it as a sort of duality or multiplicity of things (like this roulette!). A sense of being in a place of transition, sometimes neither here not there, but somewhere else. Sometimes it's both - I really enjoy genre blending, and many of my favorite artists have been pretty successful at doing so and reinventing themselves. Steven Wilson might be my single favorite music artist for this very thing - he's done pop, ambient, weird shit, atmospheric rock, a bit of metal, prog, electronic, and more. His last album combined all of these aspects and that's why I loved it so much. And also why I prefer the first GYBE! albums to what came afterwards, as they kinda started playing it safe and become just "post-rock" instead of something else.

I often use music as catharsis, a way to sort of force myself to connect with my emotions deeply, and come out better. For instance, listening to sad music when I'm feeling blue actually helps confront those feelings, and I end up calmer afterwards. This also applies to angsty music, like Nine Inch Nails or even Porcupine Tree at their heavier moments, they help release the tension. So yeah, strong emotions are definitely something I crave for.

My tastes tend to skew towards modernity, that is, most of my favorite albums are from the mid 90s til the mid 2010s, with a large concentration in the 2000s. Older music I've been slowly getting into, but it can be pretty hit or miss. I'm also very open to any vocal style, unless it's extremely high pitched and feeling like a cat screaming. I'm also open to pretty much any music style out there (even harsh noise and experimental shit), but with time I've recognized some that I just don't vibe with:

• Old school funk and soul
  • Trap
  • Reggaeton
  • Most punk music for some reason
  • Thrash and heavy metal
  • Grindcore
  • Most black/death metal
Lately I've been really enjoying 70s prog again, and slowly warming up to 80s Pop and New Wave, all from my home country, Argentina. I also used to be quite obsessed with Trip Hop and Downtempo electronic music.

And finally, an updated list with my favorite artists, roughly ordered, and my favorite song from each of them:

Anathema (The storm before the calm)
Porcupine Tree (Anesthetize)
Nine Inch Nails (The day the world went away)
Deftones (Change (in the house of flies))
Ulver (EOS)
Luis Alberto Spinetta (Cantata de puentes amarillos)
Steven Wilson (Deform to form a star)
Massive Attack (Risingson)
Sufjan Stevens (4th of july)
Gustavo Cerati (Bocanada)
Akira Yamaoka (Letter - from the lost days)
Charly García (Los dinosaurios)
Nicolas Jaar (No)
Fishmans (Walking in the rhythm)
Burial (Loner)
Kashiwa Daisuke (Sons)
Portishead (Roads)
Talk Talk (Living in another world)
Radiohead (Exit music (for a film))
Godspeed You! Black Emperor (The dead flag blues)
Nils Frahm (For - peter - toilet brushes - more)
Pink Floyd (Us and them)
Riverside (Hybrid times)
Neutral Milk Hotel (King of carrot flowers pt. 1)
Sigur rós (Starálfur)
Darren Korb (Paper boats)
Dream Theater (Repentance)
Have a nice life (Earthmover)
Rage against the machine (Born of a broken man)
David Bowie (Lazarus)

Banned list
  • Artists that get a 4 or more, are banned from the rest of the roulette
  • Every artist on my rateyourmusic that has a release with a 4 or more, is banned
  • For every artist that is not banned from the previous rule, but has a release I've rated, all songs from said release are banned. Both live and studio versions from other releases too.
Players
  • Crow
  • Buddyhunter1
  • Lizzo
  • ariich
  • Indiscipline
  • HOF
  • King Puppies and the Acid Guppies
  • Vmadera00
  • twosuitsluke
  • soupytwist
  • faizoff
  • romdrums
  • Shadow Ninja 2.0
  • ReaperKK
  • Elite
Scoreboard
twosuitsluke   39
Indiscipline   38.5
Buddyhunter1   38.25
ariich   38
King Puppies and the Acid Guppies   38
Crow   37.75
-----
HOF   37.75
Lizzo   35.5
Shadow Ninja 2.0   29
romdrums   27.5
Elite   19.5
faizoff   18.75
ReaperKK   13.25
Vmadera00   12.25
soupytwist   11.75
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 07:56:39 PM by Sacul »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's dual roulette v6 - SIGNUPS OPEN!!!!1!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 03:19:02 PM »
Banned during the roulette
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Homestuck
Pete Yorn
Blanck Mass
Jakko Jakszyk
The The
Editors
Vylet Pony
Public Service Broadcasting
Sleep Party People
Jane Remover
Loathe
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Magdalena Bay
CHVRCHES
Janis Ian
IAMTHEKIDYOUKNOWWHATIMEAN
Unidentified Flying Project
Turbonegro
M83
The Jordan
Big Big Train
McKinley Dixon
Parannoul
Area
Mundi Domini
YAYA KIM
Avenged Sevenfold
Fernando Perdomo
Supertramp
Bend Sinister
Marillion
Paatos
Premiata Forneria Marconi
Anomalie
Kip Winger
Hakushi Hasegawa
Romy
Xploding Plastix
Sweet Billy Pilgrim
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 03:17:29 PM by Sacul »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 03:20:10 PM »
Ok, feel free to sign up and start sending stuff! I don't know how many will be interested in this, so I'll leave things open to anybody by now. Submissions due on Sunday night, so we can begin next week with hangmanen and such.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 03:29:05 PM »
I get the feeling I won't be able to submit anything in this roulette because your tastes appear so close to mine. You've probably heard all the stuff I would eventually send.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 03:39:46 PM »
How much are you thinking of lyrics in the themes?  That's going to be the toughest part for me, since I rarely pay attention to them.  And a number of my candidates are instrumental. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 03:43:09 PM »
I get the feeling I won't be able to submit anything in this roulette because your tastes appear so close to mine. You've probably heard all the stuff I would eventually send.
Check my rateyourmusic, I'm sure you'll find plenty of holes there!

How much are you thinking of lyrics in the themes?  That's going to be the toughest part for me, since I rarely pay attention to them.  And a number of my candidates are instrumental. 
Not much tbh, send me whatever you feel represents or is connected to the theme. Words aren't the only way to express ideas :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 03:45:20 PM »
I love the format and the themes.
I'm not against playing, I'm just against coming in last. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 03:50:05 PM »
Gonna have to think through what I could even send, but tentatively put me down.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 04:00:33 PM »
Interestingly, a number of my preexisting candidate list will already fit nicely into some of the later rounds in particular.  But to find something joyful to start off with, that might the hardest one to locate given how much melancholic music makes up my collection. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 04:06:38 PM »
I think it's best this way, for out mutual sanity :lol

Gonna have to think through what I could even send, but tentatively put me down.
:tup

Interestingly, a number of my preexisting candidate list will already fit nicely into some of the later rounds in particular.  But to find something joyful to start off with, that might the hardest one to locate given how much melancholic music makes up my collection. 
I mean, you only need 1 "joyful" song at least. I'm sure there's something like that in your massive collection :P

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2023, 04:17:15 PM »
I actually just figured out a solid candidate pretty quickly, but it's definitely a shallow part of my collection.  The puzzle solving aspect of seeing where what I already had ideas for would fit and determining what I still need to search for is a lot of fun though. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 04:45:03 PM »
I think I'll pass on this one, two roulettes in December is enough for me.

Sorry, no new J-metal for you.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2023, 04:46:55 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2023, 04:58:43 PM »
I think it's best this way, for out mutual sanity :lol
Yup!
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2023, 05:23:09 PM »
Yeah buddy! I'm in! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2023, 05:37:34 PM »

This is from Sacul's last roulette

Sacul, next time I sign up for one of your roulettes, just tell me you have enough players already. :lol
Lol

I checked the last roulette to remind myself how I did. I was doing pretty good until I bombed it with the EP round. Guess I'll sign up if you have space.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2023, 06:05:11 PM »
I'm aiming to have results every week

Good luck. :neverusethis:

I think two wins in a row for me is unlikely, but I'll do my best. :corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2023, 06:08:30 PM »
Sacul, do you have a favorite song to go along with your favorite artists? It might help me narrow down some stuff for each round. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2023, 06:13:15 PM »
I checked the last roulette to remind myself how I did. I was doing pretty good until I bombed it with the EP round. Guess I'll sign up if you have space.
As much as I love EP rounds, I don't think I have it in me to get through one of those :lol

I'm aiming to have results every week

Good luck. :neverusethis:
I know, but I now have a lot of free time as I look for a new job, so I hope I can keep up. And say what you want about my glacial pace, but I've actually finished every single roulette I've hosted despite my ADHD ;D

Sacul, do you have a favorite song to go along with your favorite artists? It might help me narrow down some stuff for each round. :corn
Hard to narrow it down to just 1 per artist, but I'll try to. EDIT: done, and added a few artists more.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 06:27:14 PM by Sacul »

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2023, 06:58:40 PM »
This is gonna be tough. I have multiple good fits for each round, but unless I want to repeat artists, using one usually comes at the cost of another good fit later down the line.

Also, what the hell is the opposite of immersion? Do you want a dry-ass song? :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2023, 07:09:18 PM »

This is from Sacul's last roulette

Sacul, next time I sign up for one of your roulettes, just tell me you have enough players already. :lol
Lol

:lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2023, 07:18:38 PM »
it's so weird seeing you without the megaman avatar ngl

also, do the songs in each round have to be from the same artist? i could... proooobably pull up 16 different artists to submit but that's a lot of artists (i have way more than 16 artists in my library and some rounds would be better served by not sending the same artist twice but)

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2023, 07:23:14 PM »
also, do the songs in each round have to be from the same artist?

Both tunes can be from the same artist or different ones

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2023, 10:22:35 PM »
Thank you for the invitation! For whatever reason I thought I completely blew it in your last roulette but apparently I was just out of the Top 5.

I'll have to see if I got 16 songs that don't suck (by your standards) before accepting. I'll get back to you this evening. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2023, 11:00:17 PM »
Yea I'm down. I have a grasp of your current tastes and very little to match it. This could only end well.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2023, 06:20:38 AM »
Ok, seeing what I sent last roulette, I think I know the direction I want to take this time around. We will see if it pays off :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2023, 06:53:35 AM »
If you need an extra body I'll give this ago.  The themes idea is going to be interesting and tough (some more than others) but lets see how it goes!

Online faizoff

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2023, 06:56:25 AM »
Ok I guess I'll give it a shot. I think this roulette will make me relisten to a lot of my collection to align with the themes expected. Should be fun!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2023, 07:00:01 AM »
Let's goooo :metal :metal :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2023, 07:06:42 AM »
Interesting, it's basically 16 different themes we need to follow which should be pretty challenging!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2023, 07:37:34 AM »
I'm sure y'all will be up to the task :tup

I'll leave signups open until Friday included, if anybody is still on the fence or hasn't seen the thread yet :corn

Offline HOF

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2023, 07:55:57 AM »
I went through and tried to come up with some songs that fit the themes last night. Gonna be tough for some of them.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2023, 08:10:32 AM »
I'm in.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2023, 10:53:06 AM »
I went through and tried to come up with some songs that fit the themes last night. Gonna be tough for some of them.
I ain't gonna be super strict on what counts and what doesn't for the themes, so don't sweat it too much.

I'm in.
Glad to have you back :metal

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2023, 02:36:21 PM »
Sent some happycore and sadcore.